Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

TRENCHED in Europe!

I know Double Fine isn't in the wrong here, but why not release it under a different name in Europe in order to get it there faster? Plenty of other games have done this over the years like Contra being called Probotector for some reason. Would it really be that difficult to just design a new logo and register another trademark rather than fighting an endless fucking legal battle that might result in Europe never getting the game at all?

Speaks to me that, if they did make a new name and logo for it, they'd have to re-name/rework every single mention of the "Trench", which includes voices, text, weapon names, models probably. Doable, but at that point the game is almost a different game in code, and harder to check if it's the correct game or keep network/hash codes correct. And until the copyright battle subsides, they aren't allowed to talk or do anything about it.

There is definitely an oversight from either company, but one of the suits/aides should have checked Europe(an Union) instead of just America.

wouldnt changing the name just in europe break the game for people who dont have the eu version? because of multiplayer and things? or would they just change it everywhere?

wouldnt changing the name just in europe break the game for people who dont have the eu version? because of multiplayer and things?
No, those things work over an invisible ID that can, in principle, stay the same. Localized game names happen from time to time already and don't seem to cause problems.

I'm pretty sure if you changed the name of the game to something else you wouldn't have to remove every iteration of the word 'trench' from the game, thats insane. The guy is making a case about war games called trench or trenched or similar, not that he owns the word trench now. Just look at Star Fox/Star Wing and other, similar cases where this has happened.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/owner-of-trenched-trademark-in-europe-entrenches-himself-for-trench-warfare-against-microsoft/3470/

Up to date news. Owner of the Board game Trench in in it for a fight. The reason being he is makeing his own computer game with the Trench Trade mark and thus he dosnt want to give it up. He own European and Internatiol Copyright. He does however also own the US. Dont know how that works. Maby US dosnt include derivitives. And thats what is causing problems.

Still no Trenched in europe.

I can safely say, I've given up!

I don't have the money to put on a US account and I can't be bothered to wait any longer. As a result, Ms. Splosion Man will be getting my points.

I don't really care who's fault it was but, it was sloppy work. I hope the rest of you have luck in procuring this title :)

The fact is, if they changed the game name, it would still have the titular "Trench" naming for the mech, which is the difficult one here.

The fact is, if they changed the game name, it would still have the titular "Trench" naming for the mech, which is the difficult one here.

I don't think you understand what titular means. As said by Outscisor, a trench is a real thing, a mobile trench is something DF has made up for their game, the game being called 'Trenched' is the problem, if the game is called something else then it doesn't matter that it features anything called a trench. They could have every single spoken and written word in the game be 'trench' over and over if they really want to, it's calling the game that which is the point of contention.

Quick update via this Destructoid article.

Brad Muir at Double Fine, producer of Trenched;

'This entire process has been very frustrating to us and it makes us sad that the people of Europe can't play our game. Microsoft owns the IP for TRENCHED and they are working to resolve things as quickly as possible. I wish there were more information to give but it's still unclear as to how things will shake out. The one thing I do know is that the game will be released in those territories! It might take a while, but Europeans will have the opportunity to stick it to Vlad and his Tubes. We would recommend playing through Castle Crashers for the 17th time while you wait, because that game rules and Dan Paladin is a national treasure.'

So...do we get the game cheaper? I mean...it could take months to solve the problems...I played it from the american Marketplace and I finally want that game!

If the name is the Problem,Rename it!If the Nazis are a problem (...again...I hate my country for that..) paint them pink,but release the f****** Game!

Well, I finally caved in and spent the points I had set aside for Trenched on other games.

On 'The Adventures of Shuggy' and on 'Boulder Dash XL' to be exact. Both are a lot of fun.

As I'm really pumped for Trenched I put some points via Paypal on my US account and bought

it from the US marketplace. Not sure if MS is happy about it - probably not.

It's a fantastic game, I have to say though. Worth the risk of gamertag deactivation, heh.

I'm still waiting patiently for it and will be picking it up day one, and I would fathom the majority of those that were previously interested will be doing the same.

instead of keeping us in the dark, it would be good to hear what exactly the problem is? We are interested and keeping it a secret is worse than being open and honest.

Well then! Let's think of some cooler names then to help out our European brothers!

Europeans shouldn't complain seeing as how i'm one and i bought the game using a US Account and i can play it just fine on my UK Account, if there is a solution to a problem and you choose not to take it, don't complain.

Europeans shouldn't complain seeing as how i'm one and i bought the game using a US Account and i can play it just fine on my UK Account, if there is a solution to a problem and you choose not to take it, don't complain.

Thats fine and dandy, if you have a paypal account. Thats fine and dandy if you have the money to put into that account. Thats fine and dandy if you want to risk not being able to access the game at all times. Thats fine and dandy if you are ok with the greyed and unknown legality to it.

However the people complaining dont have the luxury of alot of what I mentioned. They have to buy MS Point cards and put them in on the dashboard. However with a US account you need US MSP and requires a working Debit card to buy the card. And then you can be ripped off.

Or like a number of people who had baught MSP in good faith this wouldnt happen and it did. We spent our only budget for Trenched on MSP on our European account. We have no more money to spend on an american account if we can do it.

I am just like that. I dont have the money to put into paypal and already have the US account. I had just spent my money on my European account and waited. Except Trenched never came and still wont come and I still have no budget.

There are many reasons people are being stopped because of this. Yes there are options but these options arnt open to every one. Thus people are fully vindicated to complain.

That's fine and dandy, if you have a PayPal account. That's fine and dandy if you have the money to put into that account. That's fine and dandy if you want to risk not being able to access the game at all times. That's fine and dandy if you are ok with the greyed and unknown legality to it.

It's free and very easy to setup, why people don't have an account by now is probably just due to being lazy as alot of things use it.

If you don't have the money in the first place you don't have any rite to complain since even if it was in Europe you wouldn't even be able to buy it.

From my point, i've been able to access the game anytime i want as if i bought the game on my UK Account, so there's no problem there.

There's nothing illegitimate to buying a game on another account that isn't out in another country, you're still paying with your own money, you're not getting it for free.

So no, people shouldn't really complain about anything since they have the option to buy the game, may not be a great way but you can still play it normally like you would be able to on your UK Account or whatever, i don't give a crap if people don't see it as a legit way of buying it, if that's your terrible excuse at not setting up a US Account and buying it like that then you should shut up before you even bother to say anything.

I have all of the above except the money to buy it.

The thing is I HAD the money to buy it upon it's European release but, have now spent the points on other things because I'm bored of waiting. I'm not complaining any more but, for those that are, I can understand where they are coming from as they probably still have them points sitting there waiting.

Sure, setting up a US account is easy and sure, most people have paypal accounts but, the issue is money in most cases.

As for the gray legal matter, I don't think there is one. Microsoft allow any account on the same system to access any game saved to it. However, if (and this is a big IF) Microsoft suddenly decide to release an update that locks content to the account that is was downloaded from, like US Trenched to it's US account, thus preventing European users/accounts from accessing it, there is going to be some serious butt hurt and complaining.

As I said, I've spent my points on other things now (well almost, 800 are sitting there for From Dust tomorrow) and I'm happy with that decision. There's no need to call people names or accuse them of things because they can't afford this alternative option and that's what it is, an option NOT a solution.

i don't give a crap if people don't see it as a legit way of buying it, if that's your terrible excuse at not setting up a US Account and buying it like that then you should shut up before you even bother to say anything.

And thus you have lost the argument by showing ignorance and a temper. The first person to become irrational loses and demeans the entire debate to nonsense. That sentence is just that, irrational and nonsense. It shows your selfishness of ignorance that if you can do it then by law of the universe everyone can do it. And you have no intention of seeing any other point.

As I said, I've spent my points on other things now (well almost, 800 are sitting there for From Dust tomorrow) and I'm happy with that decision. There's no need to call people names or accuse them of things because they can't afford this alternative option and that's what it is, an option NOT a solution.

Sorry to break it to you......From Dust is 1200 msp.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n4362/summer-of-arcade-detailed.htm

And thus you have lost the argument by showing ignorance and a temper. The first person to become irrational loses and demeans the entire debate to nonsense. That sentence is just that, irrational and nonsense. It shows your selfishness of ignorance that if you can do it then by law of the universe everyone can do it. And you have no intention of seeing any other point.

You making yourself out to be on top with your points that have nothing to do with people being lazy and not bothering to do it, but just moaning about not having the game in Europe for the convenience of not having to setup a US Account and buy it like that, they have the option but are to lazy to bother taking it, if you don't take it then shut up, i don't care about it and it's just stupid pointless.

Oh and stop trying to be a smart arse.

Oh! Hmm... I was going by this:

unled1jd.jpg

but, if it IS another 400msp, I'm going to try my luck there first and then just add the extra if I need to :)

EDIT: Oh, and this is from Microsoft's Official Xbox page on Facebook

Oh! Hmm... I was going by this:

unled1jd.jpg

but, if it IS another 400msp, I'm going to try my luck there first and then just add the extra if I need to :)

I am going to need more details cos I am intrested.

I forgot to mention that I screen capped that from Microsoft's official Xbox Facebook Page... if you play the game, you get a chance to win a code for the "featured" game that week!

I forgot to mention that I screen capped that from Microsoft's official Xbox Facebook Page... if you play the game, you get a chance to win a code for the "featured" game that week!

Ill check it out. As it stands it seem your are going to get it for 800msp well done.

Ill check it out. As it stands it seem your are going to get it for 800msp well done.

Well, being made redundant leaves me in the position where I have to do deal searching ;)

Well, being made redundant leaves me in the position where I have to do deal searching ;)

Could you link me as to the game. Trying to find it. Unless its taken down.

Could you link me as to the game. Trying to find it. Unless its taken down.

It still exists, I've been trying for Bastion all week :P

http://apps.facebook.com/xboxsummerofarcade/uk/

Hmmmm.... it does say From dust 800. Even without any speacle codes or such. We shall see tomorrow.

Pfttt its all codes are gone for today. oh well ill keep trying.