Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uriel_Archangel

DLC and Options Wish List Updated 7/14/2011

lots of great ideas and some that probably might seem more like a brand new triple A title than a DLC...I'm focused on story atm, the customization will come. Instead of crazier wpns and loadouts just more variation. Artillery that splits into two when it's fired, a sniper gun that has pierce and ricochet but lower damage, a mortar emplacement that fires mines, etc.

Missions/Story: The rogue tubes

- Dormant under the ocean, we have special aquatic Trenches to battle a bunch of levels underwater.

-- Sea Legs, allows accelerated movement in underwater missions

-- Air Bubble emplacement (support), allows a fixed area for weapons/trenches to travel and deal maximum damage

-- Scuba Gear (hat and outfit, maybe an expensive deep sea diver hat for 100k)

-- some aquatic tubes are similar to aerial ones, flak turrets would have the same effect

-- aquatic versions of every current tube, plus more.

"Sound travels further underwater, we have reports of rogue broadcasts having adverse affects on the local wildlife...we've equipped your trench with a self contained underwater breathing ap...let's just call it scuba gear for now. Get down there and shut off whatever's making the fish go crazy."

- Frozen at the North Pole, cause you know you want to hear the narrator say at the North Pole.

-- Snow Legs, allows better traction on snow and ice levels (snow/ice reduce movement by something noticeble)

-- The Heater emplacement (support), melts snow and ice in a fixed area (this could also reveal objects on the ground)

-- Tubes that can freeze your Trench and hinder movement, also slow the RoF down of your turrets potentially

-- Winter Gear (snow hats, earmuffs, santa's hat and outfit, endless)

...I endorse Rosie the Riveter Marine, she has a shotgun afterall. I also would like to see an Asian soldier. We did have 2 Asian allies in WWI. Plus it would open the door for Samurai outfits, a Rickshaw hat, and more trench tech.

Perhaps somewhere at the end of the credits you see an upside down tube crackle with a broadcast and the reflection of a koala bear in it for the next DLC.

I'm not sure how these ideas would workout, especially as a DLC. I like the idea of a snow area (arctic or antarctic are both good ideas but you could do Siberia or Western Russia Battle of Moscow type thing as a WWII nod but I think a full bore Ice or under water set of stages would be too much for a DLC. I mean, what you are advocating is introducing two whole new physics environments (under water and a reduced friction ice map). Right now the game doesn't allow you to enter the water (to any real depth) and rightly so as Diesel engines wouldn't work without a source of air. I'm not sure how you would get around that without too much suspension of disbelief...

Plus unless every single weapon in the game would be non-functional in the first campaign. Okay... maybe not COMPLETELY non-functional but at least most of the weapons in the game would not work as designed underwater or at best would have pretty much no stopping power. High velocity (sniper) rounds would explode when fired and be absolutely worthless and much more deadly to the one firing compared to the one being fired upon. Artillery and Grenades would not travel in ballistic trajectories and would (since they appear to be impact triggered) probably also explode as soon as they were fired. Requiring replacement versions of every weapon and emplacement (and/or a whole new weapon and emplacement set) as well as new "aquatic versions of every current tube plus more" would be a massive undertaking. I mean, that basically is doing the whole game all over again and just about everything done so far would be deprecated.

aquatic tubes would be aerial versions with flak resistance, nothing special...and the landwalking aquatic tubes would be, landwalking tubes that look like they belong underwater.

we already have obscured vision with the worms and weather, also when the pylon sucks your trenches closer it's already a form of forced movement.

arctic and aquatic are mainly environment changes, the actual implementation of movement hindering mechanics is simply if it can be done right. As for story, we know how it ends...it just makes sense in theory that the proverbial megatron is still alive somewhere...deep.

again like many, these are just a wishlist of suggestions open to being PEACHED.

-

on a lighter note, I don't definitely want to see more wpn slots on cores. there's a certain balance with the way it is right now. Having a trench that can equip 4 Gungnirs or Kings seems a bit too much even if there's levels where it might call for it.

I liked the zepplin blimp tube.

Did anyone suggest a tube that eats scrap? No? Then I suggest a tube that eats scraps...if you pop that tube it'll explode into a percentage of scrap that it ate. Maybe 60%.

Most of what I would like to see has already been mentioned. But I'll say it anyways.

An Endless mode on any map. More maps.

More items, and maybe another level of rarity of items. Like Gold or something. (That being said I still haven't unlocked everything).

More hats, shirts, and Trench Paint. I would like to scare those tubes with a neon green trench.

Different types of tubes.

Maybe even some xbl avatar stuff.

I would also like to see more voice over lines. They get repeated a lot. Then again I do play it a lot.

Hey all,

First off let me say this is by far one of the most enjoyable titles I have played on XBLA. Kudos.

Second, there are some great, great ideas on these forums about future DLC that I hope fineX2 decides to implement.

Now what to do about all that cash you accumulate?

Here is my thought. After a hypothetical DLC comes out and raises level caps, adds new modes and tougher enemies, have another mode called “Lottery” or “Luck of the draw” or “whatever is cooler than the previous two names”. This mode is the only place that you can collect the more rarer new weapons, chassis, paint, soldier gear, etc. Now here’s the kicker, you pay to enter these modes, call it paying for a ticket if you will. Have 3 different types of “Lottery” each increasing the rarity of drops and the price of admission and difficulty -say big spender, high roller, and bling bling. The bling bling drop “Lottery” rounds will cost more than big spender rounds, but you still get a shot at better than original game items either way. The more rarer levels should be very expensive to enter just for a shot at some of the newer rarer stuff, thus giving you reason to sell stuff you don’t need and to try and earn more cash to play the rounds more.

Thoughts?

I like the concept of spending loads of cash for a chance to win rarer items, but to make it fit into the story might be more challenging than winning the lottery itself. It seems like paying cash to defend the world against tubes in hopes to get rewarded seems to go against Woodruf's ideals and being a marine.

perhaps incorporating some of those ideas into randomizing what you might be able to win.

Take a butt load of cash, a few high end items, some paint or hats and you get something random with a small % chance of getting the stuff that only the horadric cube...I mean the randomizer can produce.

we just need to find that double fine twist that fits seamlessly w/the game we all enjoy playing so much.

My hope is that we'll see more than one dlc pack for this. Only one DLC pack seems to be the MO for the double fine xbla games. I think this game could have long legs and I wouldn't mind if have a few dlc packs to keep the player base going.

Not sure if anyone has talked about achievements.

As many people hope for a survival mode, I hope there will be related achievements like Gears of War 2.

GOW2's horde mode has many achievements like "Finish first XX waves at YYYY map at rank ZZ".

And almost every map, especially in the 3rd map pack, has its own such achievement, requiring different waves/rank.

Some of them are quite easy, requiring only 5-10 waves/rank.

While others can range from 20, 30, 40, to 50 waves/rank.

This is actually pretty clever.

The easy ones attract you to try out the survival mode.

After you fell for it, you keep going to try to beat the 20, 30, 40, 50 ones.

Before you noticed, you would have already played through every map.

The main idea is: make some of them easy, then raise the bar one by one, and distribute them among all the maps.

I think this is a good way get more players into the survival mode (if there will really be one)

<--- cares not for achievements.

As if I needed more incentive to continue to play Trenched...Trenched imo is one of those games that you play just to play. The unofficial news that there is new secret content makes me hopeful.

I understand the desire for PvP/Deathmatch modes, but I just don't understand how that would work. None of the existing maps provide a good battleground in that they are small enough that you can pretty much see/reach everywhere with little effort and there's no real cover. So at the very least DF would have to design and create new maps just for this, and building a successful Deathmatch map is harder than just dropping some blocks in an open fiend and saying "go for it".

More worrisome is that the game design of Trenched doesn't lend itself to Deathmatch. If you attack, then you essentially sacrifice the benefit of emplacements, so now its "just" mech vs. mech, which eliminates half of the game. So of course you'd have to bring nothing but Karllson IV and The King or Gunganir or Mr. Pancakes . . . so now you've eliminated the benefits of customization as well. Who's gonna bring an easily damaged Engineering chassis to a Deathmatch? You want to go toe-to-toe with your scythes vs. my Pancakes? I doubt it.

Of course, you can still use emplacements if you camp like a champ, so everybody will drop a repair and sniper emplacement, never stray more than 3 feet from them, and either just randomly spam artillery volleys or try to put sniper shots on target . . . both of which will be relitively ineffective if the target is standing next to a massive repair crane.

Rather than sounding fun and exciting, this sound boring as hell to me. This isn't wanting to get Deathmatch into Trenched . . . this is wanting a Mech Deathmatch game and trying to shoehorn that into Trenched. Lets not ruin a great game by making it something it isn't, and probably can't become.

Monday Night Combat style or kinda like DOTA.

Computer spawns enemies, players are the heroes, killing spawn gives scrap for emplacments like in MNC. Engi chassis can put down the heavy turrets, and with the back up of it's turrets it wouldn't be that hard to play on your own really. I guess going that route though would require one to play more defensive, but you could still place things like land mines and sniper turrets.

And the big chassis would still be very slow so it wouldn't matter that much if it had all the fire power in the world.

I guess I'm using the term "Deathmatch" differently than you. Pretty much ANY player-vs.-A.I. game mode would be fine in my eyes . . . I was talking more about Deathmatch in a PvP sense. A.I. won't camp . . . players will. I got the impression from several other commenters that they were looking for "Deathmatch" in the shoot-your-friends-head-to-head sense of the mode, and that I don't see functioning well. Humans-vs.-Humans I think just has some inherent liabilities in the Trenched design. Its IMO supremely balanced for what it does, but that balance is designed around an "attack/defend" dichotomy rather than a "everybody run around blazing away" system that I associate with a Deathmatch.

In terms of a MNC style mode, that would be great (big fan of MNC). Of course, the pivotal difference is MNC dictates the turret build locations and Trenched does not. And again, this makes sense in a purely game-balancing sense -- if I could build 50 defensive turrets around my moneyball, you'll never get near it, and rather than the fast-moving back-and-forth of a MNC match you'll end up with one endless siege.

Maybe I'm being overly negative . . . that's certainly possible. Also, since I'm not a game designer the criticism I have no idea what I'm talking about would certainly be valid. Wouldn't mind some form of Deathmatch. Really, anything added to Trenched is a good thing. I suspect it couldn't work very well, but if anybody can prove me wrong its DoubleFine.

All I, and many of my friends, would like to see is simply more content.

More levels, guns, cores, legs, weapons, maybe even paint jobs, & Marine uniforms.

Add more to what already exists. There's no need for a 'survival mode', that's what the game play already is.

To be quite honest I think the major and more important things that need to be added is more customization and max level increases. This whole multiplayer upgrade some of you guys talk about is kinda stupid there's only so much they can do with an arcade game. So try to come up with more possible ideas like I would enjoy an mono swarm mode where you have to hold out against the tubes till your overruned or the same thing but. With objectives but come on guys the most we can expect is a new campaign characters level increase and more trench upgrades

To be quite honest I think the major and more important things that need to be added is more customization and max level increases. This whole multiplayer upgrade some of you guys talk about is kinda stupid there's only so much they can do with an arcade game. So try to come up with more possible ideas like I would enjoy an mono swarm mode where you have to hold out against the tubes till your overruned or the same thing but. With objectives but come on guys the most we can expect is a new campaign characters level increase and more trench upgrades

encourage, don't discourage.

I'm just saying they might do some of the things you stated but they might not I just think we should just hope and pray that they do come out with dlc their still unofficial on whether or not there will be dlc

The only thing I really wish DF would do is update the maps for Europe and Africa so that they're fun to play at high levels. You don't even need DLC for that, you can update that in a patch.

The only thing I really wish DF would do is update the maps for Europe and Africa so that they're fun to play at high levels. You don't even need DLC for that, you can update that in a patch.

The issue I see with a map update to cater to high level players would be the balance issue when playing co-op. Lower level players might not consider playing with higher levels as fun with higher level tubes...or it would end up being lower levels just idle boosting or being power leveled in it's own sort of way. "oh but low levels can be useful, they can collect scrap."

High lvl really only means increased damage output and resistance to attacks. If you want more of a challenge, use lower level weapons or less optimal setups. Money eventually becomes just a statistic so winning at 1% base health is still a win. At this point I play to try different setups and just iron out the regiment challenges being that it's just myself and one other buddy who hardly ever plays.

So far all the DF DLC's for their games have been extended campaign with added features, whatever that may be for their games.

Yo, BBQ-bert

For me it's also all about trying different load outs, but it's hard to find people to play with who would be willing to use lower leveled gear. The whole point, to me and everyone that I've played with at least, is to got out with the best possible gear and to win the level while taking least damage possible, so with that in mind, both Europe and Africa campaigns are pretty much unplayable and I'm stuck replaying the pacific levels because they're the only ones where there is a tiny chance that I might not get the gold medal.

Ohh, and high lvl mean not just higher damage/health it also means new/better special abilities.

Hello everyone! I've just signed up for DoubleFine forums mainly because I want to put in my two cents for Trenched. Depending on how things go I might put in more than two cents in the future.

First off, great game. As soon as I played the Demo I instantly thought "Chrome Hounds" and anyone that ever played "Chrome Hounds" would have thought the same thing... even one of my friends thought the same thing as well.

Now, the only thing that I really would like is a Survival Mode, which is asked by a lot of people, and in order to make it easily accessible when selecting missions you could do this:

When selecting a normal mission on say... Volcano (since it's a common one and everyone knows about it) there is the Story version then with the simple press of the "Y" button you can change it into a "Holdout" Mode where you defend the target for as long as you can. With another press of the "Y" button you can change it into "Survival" Mode which is pretty self explanatory.

Another mode is "Turrets Galore Holdout" Mode where none of the players are allowed weapons and they need to agree on what emplacements they each get/use (so as to avoid the same turrets and be crippled due to lack of variety) and they have to solely rely on their Turrets... you can kind of think of that one Achievement where you are not allowed to shoot and can only use Turrets.

And then again where it's the same thing except that your Turrets are to protect YOU! And to make things harder, so as to have a type of balance in this, players are only allowed NORMAL Sprint on Assault Chassis (but you still have Engineering Prices) so that you don't have four Mechs labeled "The Flash" and none of the Mono Visions are able to hurt you.

For the most part anything else that I want has already been said... primarily the saving and loading of different Mech Setups. ALSO make it so that when you sell something to the shop, usually either by not needing it because you don't need 3 "Mr. Pancakes" or two of the same Chassis or by accidentally selling a part that you didn't mean to because you think that you are in the "Modify" section instead you are in the "Sell" section, that part should then be in the shop and not just be non-existent. And to remove cheap habits of "I'll sell my only Mr. Pancake and then purchase two of them from the shop!" you can only get back what you put in, excluding the parts already in the shop.

A versus mode would be nice but limitations on certain weapons ARE required. Primarily, each player should be allowed to have 1 Machine Gun and 1 Shotgun or only be allowed 2 slot weapons... or something and if you allow snipers take off crosshairs when NOT zoomed in otherwise that will be Over Powered. Otherwise everyone will use a certain artillery piece and we all know how well that will turn out.

Again, everything else has already been stated that I want, and apparently what everyone else wants too.

I love this game because it brings back memories of Chrome Hounds and that brings tears to my eyes because of its unnecessary death.

In this game's current state I give it an 8/10.

Improve the Server/Host issues and implement Survival Type Modes and this game will be a flawless Arcade Game.

Yo, BBQ-bert

For me it's also all about trying different load outs, but it's hard to find people to play with who would be willing to use lower leveled gear. The whole point, to me and everyone that I've played with at least, is to got out with the best possible gear and to win the level while taking least damage possible, so with that in mind, both Europe and Africa campaigns are pretty much unplayable and I'm stuck replaying the pacific levels because they're the only ones where there is a tiny chance that I might not get the gold medal.

Ohh, and high lvl mean not just higher damage/health it also means new/better special abilities.

Understandable. Surprisingly though, you can find a lot more tactical loadout incorporating lower level wpns w/the higher levels ones. My main issues w/online play is the potential for other to drop out due to connection issues. This is why when it's my job to snipe, I always take Rosie w/me as the 3rd slot. While the damage doesn't compare to the higher level guns the explosive effect takes care of breakers etc in the even I end up playing solo due to dropped players.

I try different loadout as often as I can, while I used to bring Mine layer emplacements all the time the Mortars recently have been more effective. The mines, while having a higher damage output is misleading. All the mines the mine layer puts out combined seem to do the advertised damage, and some tubes tend to set them off while the rest run by. Great for most places when you can't be in two places at once but not very effective vs. hordes of tubes w/shields.

The game still plays well and at this point I'm doing the regiment challenges with one other friend. So if we win with 1% base health or 100%, the goal now is to grind out wpn specific kills. Infact...that would actually be a lot more challenging, to win with 10% base health or lower.

Back top op topic. I'd really like to see some kind of targeting beacon that could call in a strike from the big guns on the carrier or something. It could take up an explosive turret slot and cost scrap each time to use.

All good stuff here.

- Harder difficulty settings (Hard, Insane) | Increased all enemy health by a % and/or more simultaneous spawns per wave

-This will hopefully make support emplacements more useful and balanced, especially at later levels

-Right not if you have two people going heavy assault, the support emplacement slot is pretty much a waste

- Trench jump...Trench Flight?

- Survival mode

- Split Screen local Co-Op

All good stuff here.

- Harder difficulty settings (Hard, Insane) | Increased all enemy health by a % and/or more simultaneous spawns per wave

-This will hopefully make support emplacements more useful and balanced, especially at later levels

-Right not if you have two people going heavy assault, the support emplacement slot is pretty much a waste

- Trench jump...Trench Flight?

- Survival mode

- Split Screen local Co-Op

increased enemy health can be emulated now buy using lower level weapons and emplacements, harder difficulty can be achieved by using lower level trenches that have less armor. try the sinkhole w/makeshift and standard equipment...it's not pretty.

how is the support slot a waste between 2 assaults? just coordinate, one using dampener and another using collector or repair. it's all in the communication.

increased enemy health can be emulated now buy using lower level weapons and emplacements, harder difficulty can be achieved by using lower level trenches that have less armor. try the sinkhole w/makeshift and standard equipment...it's not pretty.

how is the support slot a waste between 2 assaults? just coordinate, one using dampener and another using collector or repair. it's all in the communication.

I think you may be missing the point just a tad. I realize you can "emulate" a harder setup, you can do that with ANY game in almost ANY genre.

But that's not necessarily good game design from a replayabilty aspect. Using your logic, I could try and only fire X number of shots per wave to increase the difficulty. Self-imposed handicaps definitely challenge player creativity but aren't a long term solution for something that could have been instituted day 1 (difficulty settings).

Sure we all do things to extend the life of our games, but one things devs can do to increase that for us is add difficulty settings and things like New Game+.

As far as support emplacements. With two Assault Trenches, support emplacements are a waste because you don't need them. I didn't say i don't use them, but they just aren't necessary to survive ANY of the levels. Once you have all the best stuff, support emplacement aren't very useful. In terms of balance, they don't scale well enough with end-game player-power or enemy difficulty.

Also I run with a group of 4 and we already have an engineer and a standard trench. I/We shouldn't have to change are play style to make the game harder. Heck, if the game can analyze what chassis you bring to each level and scale the difficulty based on that, that would be phenomenal.

4 Karlsons? Ok, up the enemy health and simultaneous spawns per wave.

4 Selkers? Add more knobbs and burst transmitters

...so on and so forth.

^That's a lot of nestled "if-then" statements and case logic, but it'd be amazing if they could pull that off.

This is a great game, but there are some obvious opportunities to extend replayability. I beat the game in 3 days (not a complaint) and if it weren't for helping other beat the game and get new items, there wouldn't be much else for me. I have played though as an engineer as well. Here's hoping they patch some replaybilty in here soon! The game isn't that hard to beat and most of the best items (save "The King" and the "Sassy Basket", depending on luck) are found with little grinding. I don't really doubt things like Survival mode, New Game+, or Insane difficulty will make it into the game here soon. Either way, I am more than satisfied with my experience with game. Hell I would have paid $60 for it...but I love Tower Defense and explosions, even though this hasn't been the most challenging game.

Your mileage may vary though... :)

O and skippable dialog on each level. Nothing like a game that requires you to grind levels and doesn't let you skip the dialog and instructions for each level.

A simple wish. Add a couple of tougher monos to the selection of possible enemies which includes something that either repels magnetic weapons or is simply not metalic. (Mr. Pancakes is ridiculously powerful against every possible enemy type. Once I started playing with it, all the other weapons seemed almost pointless. You just fire them out over in the general direction the enemies are coming from and they cease to exist in a shot or two. Even swarms of fliers can be hit with it without much effort.)

The addition to some sort of tougher bonus compaign with half a dozen or so maps would be very cool.

Survival mode would be great as others have suggested.

I guess if I were to have a wish list for new weapons I think that some very easy to add new options could be upper tier versions of some of the unusual and nifty early weapons like Lieutenant Archie and Jack Hammer. Here are some examples.

Baby Nasty All Grown Up: Basically just add another 5 or 10 points of damage to Baby Nasty and maybe pierce or richotet.

Captain Archie: Just adding some range and or a few points of damage to Lieutenant Archie and it would be a great weapon.

Sledge Hammer: Adding like 5 or 10 points of damage to the Jack Hammer and maybe give it knock back would make it vicious.

Experimental Device Part 2: Add 80- 120 points to the damage and or a shock abillity and more damage to the residual energy blop.

All of these weapons were a bast to play with in the early game, and they fit niches that simple no other weapons do. It would be great to have some higher level versions to choose from so you don't have to feel cheated when using them instead of the same old boring optimal gear that everyone uses. Once you max out your Trench you tend to see people using the same half dozen or so weapons over and over again. Some more variety in high lvl gear would be nice.

A few other ideas for guns would include some sort of longer range grenade launcher and a sniper cannon with explosive rounds.

How about some mechs that can transform or combine?

Transform:

Mech can transform into some special form to use special ability. e.g Become vehicles to move faster but with no combat ability (perhaps other players can ride on it?), or become un-movable giant turret only other players can fire it.

Combine:

And all players can combine into one giant mech. Not only has increased fire power, but also can act as a wall to physically block the enemy's advance path (by consuming the mech's health), a full-confrontational last resort to protect the base from some unstoppable boss, see who dies first!

How about some mechs that can transform or combine?

Transform:

Mech can transform into some special form to use special ability. e.g Become vehicles to move faster but with no combat ability (perhaps other players can ride on it?), or become un-movable giant turret only other players can fire it.

Combine:

And all players can combine into one giant mech. Not only has increased fire power, but also can act as a wall to physically block the enemy's advance path (by consuming the mech's health), a full-confrontational last resort to protect the base from some unstoppable boss, see who dies first!

Not to be rude but that would change the game a lot so it will probably never happen

Yeah remember that the game is set back in the retro days so technology is limited in what it can do, even by this game's standards.

Sign in to follow this