Sign in to follow this  
fhaq

It was a great game.... Until

I liked Psychonauts very very much, except for the last bit, which I didn't like so much.

How is everyone so useless at this game? I got through all of meat circus with very little problem. The hardest bit of the whole Raz's dad chase was probably that netting with the fire on it, and even that just requires a double jump around it.

Allow me to quoth from the DF FAQ:

What’s up with Meat Circus?

What’s up with Meat Circus is that you’re a sissy. Sure, sure, invisibility is very important when Raz’s dad is trying to knock you off those tight ropes. And your shield will bounce the knife thrower’s blades right into those spinning target wheels. And also you can throw a confusion grenade at that bunny and then just go pick it up, instead of trying to grab it with Telekinesis. Those things are also true. But the main point I’m trying to make here is that first one, about you being a sissy.

Heh, you're just going to get made fun of, because the vast majority of people on DFAF have proved their worth in such a trial by fire.

But then again, the vast majority of people on DFAF also harbor a secret and psychotic hate for bunnies, so there you go.

Don't feed the troll! I say this even though there is no troll, and everybody in this thread is not only lovely, but in love with each other.

Like, for reals!

We should all "less than three" each other!

Great idea! Guys, you know what we should do? We should get married. Let's totally get married! I think we are all ready for that kind of commitment.

Actually a kid I know (or, rather, my little sister's friend) said he had Psychonauts, played it all the way through, and once he got to the circus he got mad and sold the game. o_O;; I was like "If you made it all that way through why would you just sell it at the very end -_-a"

Stupid kids.

How is everyone so useless at this game? I got through all of meat circus with very little problem. The hardest bit of the whole Raz's dad chase was probably that netting with the fire on it, and even that just requires a double jump around it.

Allow me to quoth from the DF FAQ:

What’s up with Meat Circus?

What’s up with Meat Circus is that you’re a sissy. Sure, sure, invisibility is very important when Raz’s dad is trying to knock you off those tight ropes. And your shield will bounce the knife thrower’s blades right into those spinning target wheels. And also you can throw a confusion grenade at that bunny and then just go pick it up, instead of trying to grab it with Telekinesis. Those things are also true. But the main point I’m trying to make here is that first one, about you being a sissy.

Words of wisdom right there. Freaking sissys.

Great idea! Guys, you know what we should do? We should get married. Let's totally get married! I think we are all ready for that kind of commitment.

Very well. But you sleep outside.

The meat circus certainly was the most tedious of all the levels; the collision detection was almost non-existent and the platforms ability to become intangible, was rather infuriating. I know I spent longer than I would have cared to on the tight-rope section alone, but it really only added to my elation when I finally overcame it.

The ending is what gives the game real character in my opinion, for me it was the best part.

SPOLIER ALERT FOR BELOW --

This Screenshot is what made the ending for me. Man, that's handsome.

-- ALERT CONCLUDED

Oh yeah, that ending cinema was worth the whole thing. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

And dang, he's a cutie-patooty!

I drew some fan art of him like this, everyone said I drew him wrong... they obviously didn't finish this amazingly amazing game.

The ending is what gives the game real character in my opinion, for me it was the best part.

SPOLIER ALERT FOR BELOW --

This Screenshot is what made the ending for me. Man, that's handsome.

-- ALERT CONCLUDED

Ahhh, yes, definatily one of the best parts in the game~ SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER Especially the final little bit/moment these two had.ENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILER That made me squee out loud when I watched it :3 *pets his hair*

... oh, and the fact that you can see Dart in the backround as well. That also made me happy X3

I found Meat Circus a little annoying too, for a few reasons.

-- SORT OF SPOILERISH --

1: (the biggest reason) I had been playing for HOURS and was physically tired, yet compelled to fight through it, knowing I was so close to the end :P. The following reasons probably annoyed me more than they otherwise would have, as a result.

2: I HATE "protect someone" missions. They suck. As a gamer, I want to be responsible (in the direct sense) for myself, not for someone who's taking damage while I'm too far away to do anything. It irritates me when games suddenly present you with a protective mission when it hasn't been a part of the rest of the game's design. I didn't have trouble with that part, but I didn't enjoy it.

3: Some minor annoyances, such as bits of the acrobatics level, where, for instance, you might be jumping up on ropes while you're getting things thrown at you. Now, the way grabbing onto horizontal ropes is implemented, you swing for a couple of seconds and can't do anything while that happens, in this case causing me to take damage when I would have otherwise been more than capable of avoiding it. Level design should complement and even exploit core gameplay mechanics, not make them something you have to work around.

4: The whole meat theme didn't create a very inspiring or even evocative atmosphere. It was pretty dreary. Considering some of the amazing level design and concepts in previous parts of the game, the ending could have been much more awe-inspiring and appealing.

That's not to say I didn't\don't love the game. I'm sure many play-throughs await me in future.

They did all those things because Double Fine loves us...

They are full of love.

Didn't you feel proud of yourself after you finished it? Proud that you had gotten through!

They did that on purpose.

Because they're great.

PRAISE THEM!

Oh for sure, it felt great to finish the game :) It was a remarkably wonderful gaming experience, overall. I guess I just felt it was the tiniest suggestion of a fragment of a shame to finish on a slight downer. In the end, it's all about personal taste, anyway. Perhaps some people had the total opposite response to the final section. *shrug*

:D

I'm just fun'in.

I know when I played Meat Circus, I cried... and wept.

and tried not to snap my controller.

I'm not really a meat circus fan, but I have to say that I think it was a good way to end the game. Maybe if it had been a little less streneous/evil that would have been nice. But yea, I think you do get some satisfaction out of finally beating it. Plus you have to love the music.

You really can't complain about Meat Circus unless you've finished it twice. The first time will be hard, you'll constantly get stuck. But then you'll get past it and you'll feel AWESOME.

The second time, you'll find how easy some bits of it actually were. Protect Oleander? Fine, no problem. Ride that rail bit? Pfshaw, nothing to it. The burning chain fence will still be hard, though. Hard as nails. But other than that, it'll be easy. Easy as pie.

So there you go.

Three times: the first time you're too distracted, and the second too anxious, to really think "I am using an obese woman as a trampoline."

But, ugh, that fire-fence

Agreeing with previous two posts.

First time? Hard as hell. Wanted to scream.

Second? Tricky, but not so bad. Learned some things I didn't realize I could do the first time.

Third? Pfff... I'm the psycho-f***in-masta!

I also agree that the theme of Meat Circus was kind of a downer compared with the rest of the game, but I disagree that it was because Meat Circus was creatively lacking compared to the other levels. That level was based on story elements more than any other level in the game. It was a cool twisting and blending of Razputin's and Oleander's backstories.

I think it was a downer because it's tone was kind of creepy and bizarre compared to the other levels. The earlier levels were bizarre in a silly nonsense kind of way (lungfishopolis rules them all with an iron fist). Meat circus had less humor and cranked the WTF?! knobs to 11.

Also, I hate circuses and clowns and whatnot. I played too much Aero Acrobat growing up. The circus themed level is completely tapped for me.

I also don't like protection missions.

And damn the fire fence!

Anyway, I don't think Meat Circus was as visually interesting as the other areas in the game (although the fight with Oleander's dad was pretty awesome, I thought! Great voice!), but I thought it was a creative idea, and the earlier foreshadowing in the game is awesome. (Playing it the second time, its crazy to see how much foreshadowing went completely over your head before).

I thought the meat circus was mean at first... but we've since become friends.

=)

I liked it, if only for the worst pun ever:

"Somebody is going to get Grrrrrrounded!"

"Make that......... GROUND.... Huhuhuhuhu"

I think Meat circus was great. The rope thing and the annoying false dad was hard, but i made it through.

Also, I mean... It's the last level of the game! It has to be harder than the rest of the game... Just like in most other games...

Actually, I didn't remember the Meat Circus being that bad (except the Raz-dad part), so I "confidently" went into the last level for the 2nd time while infront of friends, and was like "holy shit, this is harder than I remember. o_O"

Moral of the story?

Don't play meat circus in front of friends, you'll end up embarrassing yourself. (Doesn't help that my bf likes to comment every time I do something stupid in a video game, either. Which is often, because my mind is kind of all over the place and I do weird stupid things).

I liked the challange that meat Circus provided. I felt proud of accomplishing it after a long try. My biggest challange from it was getting past Raz's dad, especially since my key board likes to whine and ignore me when ever I press certain key combos when floating.

Now people come to me to beat their meat circus files... *shakes fist* Lazy bums! Well, at least I have fun in the process.

I liked Psychonauts very very much, except for the last bit, which I didn't like so much.

I must say the end boss battle was waaayyyy too easy compared to the rest of the game. I beat that one in one go without breaking into a sweat.

Not the kind of end battle I'd like to imagine! But, don't get me wrong, Psychonauts is still a great, great game and will play it again and again.