Double Fine Action Forums
Ixis

Hairless Bear, Dr. Lobato and other unsolved mysteries.

This forum is interesting and fairly virgin in it's nature, so I intend to thrust my own thoughts on various Psychonauts related paraphenalia into it's uncharted depths. Smashing! A word of caution however, this thread contains spoilers (however, why you might peruse into this neck of the woods without previous knowledge of the storyline proper is beyond me. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED FOOL!!)

For the longest time before Psychonauts was released I always thought Bobby Zilch was Dr. Lobato (seeing the promo video I assumed you'd go into Lobato's mind and therin find younger Bobby, much like Coach Oleander and Lil' Ollie.) Mostly it was similar skin color (green and blue looks similar when viewed through the blurry vaseline scope of Youtube-o-vision) and the fact that Lobato's hair is covered by a hair net (although in-game you can clearly see it's black on the side.)

That said (and being a hopeless fan with nothing better to do) I wonder about the intricacies of how/why this could happen (truly, if it's possible how it'd be written.) Anyway, did anyone else hatch this quackpot theory?

Also, would Double Fine include a hairless bear in subsequent games? How about a hairless bear t-shirt of button? (I know I'd most definately buy one of those, or a shirt stating that I happen to be THE milkman and my proverbial milk is most delicious. Or an inquiry into wether said milk is normal or "the scary dream kind?")

Also, would Double Fine include a hairless bear in subsequent games? How about a hairless bear t-shirt of button? (I know I’d most definately buy one of those, or a shirt stating that I happen to be THE milkman and my proverbial milk is most delicious. Or an inquiry into wether said milk is normal or “the scary dream kind?"

OMG!!!! I would love if they did that!!!!! I wish they would..... :down:

Hmm, I never thought about the Bobby/Lobato thing. And normally I'm pretty good at noticing character similarities.

But Loboto has more of a teal/aqua skintone than Bobby's sky blue. And no way that 'fro could fit under the shower cap!

Buuuut, the thought of Bobby realizing what a catastrophe he has in his mouth and then aspiring to become a dentist to get those choppers fixed kinda supports the idea, hahaha.

As for shirts, big YES PLEASE from me. I'd buy them all if only to get excited reactions from people who recognize what they're referring to. And then we can chat about the game in front of large groups of people and keep saying the most bizarre yet awesome things about it and people will stare and be "Buh, 'Psychonauts'? What is this moonspeak?...and what in the heck is a 'Meat Circus'?". But hey, it's their loss.

What has science done?!?!

bobbylobatoque.jpg.4511415b0d0e9dd09ba7c

My personal opinion on the similarity between Bobby and Loboto is that Bobby is Loboto's son.

Because seriously. If you were a dentist and your kid's teeth were that bad, wouldn't YOU go insane?

Hm. The father/son theory is plausible...

...also, Hairless Bear shirts would be freaking awesome. I could add it to my growing pile of Psychonauts related stuff that people stare at and are quite confused by. Psssht, philistines.

My personal opinion on the similarity between Bobby and Loboto is that Bobby is Loboto's son.

Because seriously. If you were a dentist and your kid's teeth were that bad, wouldn't YOU go insane?

Exactly! But ya'll are forgetting that Bobby and Loboto arn't the only ones with similar skin tones. Anyone notice that Sheegor and Dogan look kind of alike? Same skin tone, both kind of waddle, strange connection with animals that 'speak' to them...

??? SHEEGOR HAS PSYCHIC BABY?

This thread makes me put Psychonauts in yet another whole new light.

Idunno, I was kinda disappointed Dogen was never really emphasized on, for a "omg! hez rly powerful but weerd raz lol!" fellow, he really never did anything besides lose his brain first.

Dogen is freaking awesome. I would say that he should have his own game, but considering all he has to do is remove his hat to make everyone die, it'd be a pretty short game.

[Edit]:Yeah, the hairless bear is supposed to be Linda. Though a hairless bear would be hillarious. It's a bare bear.

Oh, but speaking of Dogen, Bobby and Loboto also both loom menacingly over Dogen at some point in the game as well:

loomingoverdogen2.JPG.5424f7b4d5cee3b3f1

A shirt that says "It's made from turtles! Turtles that you LOVE!" with a picture of Mr. Pokeylope would also be classified as awesome.

A shirt that says “It’s made from turtles! Turtles that you LOVE!” with a picture of Mr. Pokeylope would also be classified as awesome.

I agree!

OMG Ave, you beat me here! I hate you! We'll it's good to see some of us have made the trip to the official place now. It's quite a bustling place as well. Puts RD to shame.

On Topic: I never really noticed the similarities between Loboto and Bobby. But after people pointed everything out to me, I am a beilever in the father/son theory.

that would make the game like......three times better.

though my concern is that if it gets that good. It would probably turn into a dragon and fight with me.

and the game would have been a tad confusing.

BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLER

Anyone think the hairless bear could have been Oleander of the lungfish?

xD Oh man, I always make a joke about that in my Roleplays xD

"Raz? Oh, he went off to look for Olean- *slapped* uh I mean, the giant hairless bear.. >_>;;"

fun times xD

I thought the hairless bear was Linda. I didn't see Bobby as anything more than a bully nor Dogen anything more special than being the first to lose his brain. I like the turtles t-shirt idea.

I freaked out when I first encountered the Psychic bear, because I thought it might be the one that Mikahal was talking about. I didn't fight him, i just ran around him admiring his awesomeness.

I would think psychic bears would have bald heads and ride in wheelchairs.

The psychic bear scared me the first time :P . I thought it was a monster or something that was made to scare me, and I hate monsters xD (In-game monsters) .

The psychic bear scared me the first time :P . I thought it was a monster or something that was made to scare me, and I hate monsters xD (In-game monsters) .
Don't play Hunter the Reckoning (PS2/Xbox) then.. there is a teddy bear monster in that game!

Don't play Hunter the Reckoning (PS2/Xbox) then.. there is a teddy bear monster in that game!

Okay, I won't play that game then. Teddy bear monsters is scary as hell xD

This is a fine thread. And you are all fine people. Let me just say that. Some fine ideas for store products in this thread too. If you would like the shopkeepers to hear your pleas, why not make them over in the double fine shop forum? Here, let me draw you a map:

Forum Home > Double Fine > Double Fine Shop

The shopkeepers love to hear about all your product ideas. But be nice, because they are easily wounded. You would not believe how loud those people can cry, even when you are just teasing.

This is a fine thread. And you are all fine people. Let me just say that. Some fine ideas for store products in this thread too. I may be just a cow, but I am made entirely out of information, so let me share some with you: The man who tends the Double Fine Action Shop is a very timid fellow, and probably doesn't venture out this far into the forums. So if you would like OCDaniel to hear your pleas, why not make them over in the double fine shop forum? Here, let me draw you a map:

He loves to hear about all your product ideas. But be nice, because he is easily wounded. You would not believe how loud that guy can cry, even when you are just teasing.

It speaks! Quickly adorn it with gifts before it destroys us all.

This is a fine thread. And you are all fine people. Let me just say that. Some fine ideas for store products in this thread too. I may be just a cow, but I am made entirely out of information, so let me share some with you: The man who tends the Double Fine Action Shop is a very timid fellow, and probably doesn't venture out this far into the forums. So if you would like OCDaniel to hear your pleas, why not make them over in the double fine shop forum? Here, let me draw you a map:

He loves to hear about all your product ideas. But be nice, because he is easily wounded. You would not believe how loud that guy can cry, even when you are just teasing.

It speaks! Quickly adorn it with gifts before it destroys us all.

*shot by Info Cow styled lazer beam* BLAAArRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1 *dead(?)*

This isn't exactly new, but I missed it. The info cow hasn't excreted much truth lately, has it?

i think it got stuck somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd stomachs, but i like the idea of a shop forum!

also, they should get more people to help out the shop guy, like an army of bats to aid him in making the best merchandise evah!

not that he isn't doin a fine job already, love the shirts mate!

You forgot the most obvious reason of Bobby being Loboto's father of them all: they both have one red eye and one green.  As strange as the characters look in the game, nobody else has mismatched eyes like that. 

And 

*WARNING: SPOILERS FOR RHOMBUS OF RUIN*

Spoiler

It shows that Caligosto was born with those eye colors even before getting them cybernetic.

*end of spoilers*

Oh, and their voices.  They are both high pitched and squeaky at times. 

Praying this will be confirmed in Psychonauts 2. 

Edited by Psycho-for-Psychonauts