Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Double Fine QA

Iron Brigade set to release in Europe soon!!!

This is ridiculous, what a bloody shambles. At this point I'm just waiting for the announcement that they're not going to release it over here after all.

I won´t buy it anymore...too much of nothing happend.Fir 800MSP maybe, but I hope they don´t think we pay 1200MSP for it.Not after almost 4 Months of waiting, getting no offical information.At least we write in the Forums because we care or cared about the game - DF just didn´t show any interest to keep ours.

I'd image that all the people who are complaining to DF about lack of information are also contacting MS about lack of information. It seems to me that DF has sent Iron Brigade off for cert already. So they are waiting on MS to release the game. As well if MS hasn't given DF any news on the release date or time frame. Then they have no information to give the community.

Not to mention, Game season has started. There's soo many games coming out the next months, Iron Brigade won't be on everyon's must have list and easily overlooked.

no matter what happens im going to get game ive been holding my breath so long i look like im out of grim fandango :)

I'd image that all the people who are complaining to DF about lack of information are also contacting MS about lack of information. It seems to me that DF has sent Iron Brigade off for cert already. So they are waiting on MS to release the game. As well if MS hasn't given DF any news on the release date or time frame. Then they have no information to give the community.

WOW. Double Fine, you locked my thread? crikey!

It's obvious you're a fanboy but is it possible you're naive too?

There is no one to blame but Double Fine for the shortfall in communication. They announce September as the release date, in this very forum, then someone form the company comes out and says “We have no idea where that came from”.

Just keep your community updated. It’s not the publics fault the game was delayed. It’s so easy to do. Delays don’t matter in the great scheme of things if you keep people updated with adequate explanations.

I have already stated that I will not buy this game. As others here have rightly pointed out I wouldn’t have time to play all the games I will get in the coming months so why support a developer who doesn’t give a damn?

It’s just not cricket.

OH BY THEY WAY. HERE IS AN ANNOUNCEMET ABOUT AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!11

stay in school kids!

You don't have time enough to play the game, yet you've got enough time to run around trolling forums about the game making your grand announcement about how you're not getting it over and over again and reminding everyone how you're clearly the center of the universe? Maybe you should take your own advice and stay in school, kiddo.

WOW. Double Fine, you locked my thread? crikey!

It's obvious you're a fanboy but is it possible you're naive too?

There is no one to blame but Double Fine for the shortfall in communication. They announce September as the release date, in this very forum, then someone form the company comes out and says “We have no idea where that came from”.

Just keep your community updated. It’s not the publics fault the game was delayed. It’s so easy to do. Delays don’t matter in the great scheme of things if you keep people updated with adequate explanations.

I have already stated that I will not buy this game. As others here have rightly pointed out I wouldn’t have time to play all the games I will get in the coming months so why support a developer who doesn’t give a damn?

It’s just not cricket.

OH BY THEY WAY. HERE IS AN ANNOUNCEMET ABOUT AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!11

stay in school kids!

shhhh.... Listen... If you listen carefully enough, you'll hear the distinct sound of no one caring.

You don't have time enough to play the game, yet you've got enough time to run around trolling forums about the game making your grand announcement about how you're not getting it over and over again and reminding everyone how you're clearly the center of the universe? Maybe you should take your own advice and stay in school, kiddo.

and lol

I have heard that one of the criteria for a xbox game is that you have to be able to beat the game.

I wonder if they are having some confusion with the endless.

This is the conversation I imagine.

MS: You can't beat endless mode so the game has failed cert.

DF: You aren't supposed to be able to beat it. That's why it's "endless".

MS: But we can't pass a game that you can't beat it.

DF: Well if you could beat endless mode it wouldn't be endless

Classy. Whether or not you believe the people saying they aren't buying it, and despite all this I probably still will, if you can't see how these problems might have harmed DF's reputation amongst its fans in the parts of Europe that have been affected then maybe you're the one who has the wrong idea.

To be fair, telling someone they shouldn't care that DF haven't told them anything, is not going to help. A single Tweet is all it would take to make fans feel that they're not being ignored. And if legal things are in the way, all that Tweet has to say is: "Sorry for the delay European Trenched fans! We can't say any more, but we're doing all we can".

Poor communication in the age of communication is simply unacceptable. Somebody within the company should be focussed on keeping tabs on the community and keeping them happy -- otherwise what's the point in having a community.

TellTale did the same thing when they were releasing Tales of Monkey Island: They promised a release date, but it was delayed. The lack of communication during the delay meant thousands of dedicated European TTG fans waiting until the early hours of the morning just to understand why the game they'd paid for, and been promised, hadn't been delivered on time... and wasn't going to be delivered until the next day.

A single Tweet would have relieved and anger and frustration felt by those who had been waiting years for a new Monkey Island game. And the internet was filled with pure bile for TTG that night.

Customer service is not optional, especially from small companies who rely on fanbases.

As for closing the other thread: If people can't complain about something that frustrates them on the company's website, they'll go elsewhere and bad mouth them there instead. Except DF can't respond or cool the flames there. They can only watch.

This is why Amazon allows ALL reviews on their site: It's better to have someone complaining on your site, where you can do something about it, than on another site where you're completely impotent.

The second someone starts saying they're never going to buy your games, is the second you have an opportunity to win a customer back with great customer service... for the price of a few keystrokes on a keyboard.

I'm willing to put all kinds of money on the game being delayed again. I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut their losses and never release it over here if that is the case, all this hassle is costing someone money after all.

Davoren, ThunderPeel2001, it’s nice to see that not all of the members here are irrational fanboys!

You’re absolutely correct a little communication goes a long way.

Just look at last weeks “Double Fine Extravaganza”

Double Fine knew they would be embargoing 5 of the 6 announcements but it was clearly beneath them to say something in the forum just to temper expectation. I won’t support a company that does not communicate with its community. There are plenty of companies that appreciate the people who buy their products.

In a while, alligatorzzzz

Unfortunately, most developers treat their fans about the same as Double Fine does theirs. It's a crazy industry that is in dire need of a PR overhaul when it comes to communicating with their most dedicated fans.

Unfortunately, most developers treat their fans about the same as Double Fine does theirs. It's a crazy industry that is in dire need of a PR overhaul when it comes to communicating with their most dedicated fans.

I'd say fans in general.

It's really weird how the PR/Industry/consumer/media system works (or lack there of) in this industry. I wonder if it happens in other mediums or if it's just games.

Wow, lots of screen shots there. Thanks for the link! So, off to Mars this time...

Haha, they added the robot costume from Costume Quest as an outfit. Looks ace!

It is quite absurd that we live in an age where that sort of communication doesn't cost a company anything (or, at least, very little), but they still don't engage in it... Despite the fact that they have Twitter accounts, Facebook accounts, their own forums. I do wonder what they think these things are to be used for if not an ultra cheap and effective way of talking to their customers.

Go back 10/15 years and this sort of communication would have been extremely costly for a company. It beggars belief that DF (and maybe the industry as a whole) don't understand what they have at their finger tips, and how much difference a little communication can go.

If anyone at DF is actually reading this, I'd suggest at least investing in some books on using the social aspects of the internet. Joshua Porter's "Designing For the Social Web" is a great starting point for someone who actually wants to harness the power of this new tool. (It also goes into a little detail on how the sort of behaviour DF has exhibited is heard by customers.)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Social-Web-Joshua-Porter/dp/0321534921

Eric Ries (ex-CTO of IMVU) has also blogged many times on the astonishing power and importance of good communication with customers. His blog is more "running a startup company" orientated, but the lessons he learned are valuable for all companies who use the internet.

Link: http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/

Hopefully, behind the scenes at DF, wheels are turning -- and there isn't just contempt for posts like this one (which is unfortunately how the silence makes it feel).

Actually, this post from Eric Ries goes into a little detail about how he went from feeling defensive and angry at customer complaints ("Yes, we know! Stop telling us!") to seeing them in a whole new way.

http://www.startuplessonslearned.com/2009/09/cardinal-sin-of-community-management.html

Here's a snippet (go to the above link for the whole tale).

I’ll tell you the honest truth: listening to customers is gruesome, uncomfortable, and painful work. Sure it has its moments, but then so does getting stranded on a desert island.

Yet few products these days can succeed without their online community, and the insight you can gain from interacting with that community is unparalleled, despite the pain. But to take advantage of that learning, you have to avoid the absolutely one and only cardinal sin of community management: not listening.

This probably sounds illogical. Communities care about lots of things, like how good your product is, how much information you give them, how you defend them from trolls, right? And when you’re being pilloried by community members over the latest mistake your company made, it can doubly confusing. After all, people rarely say they are mad because they are not being heard. But just because they don’t say it doesn’t mean that it’s not true.

Wow, lots of screen shots there. Thanks for the link! So, off to Mars this time...

Haha, they added the robot costume from Costume Quest as an outfit. Looks ace!

Still,it´s not really clever to release Pictures of DLC while punching European Players in the face for 4 Months now...I bet they still expect people to pay 15 Bucks...I mean,for real now: The last Information about Iron Brigade from DF is already 2 Months old...and they don´t even post anything in the Forums even after all the trouble with complainig Fans who are simply disappointed with the way they handle things.

If anyone ever wondered why the sales of almost all DF-Games suck,I think they found a way of making them worse - and it´s completely their own fault.It´s not like its not possible to change an name within a few days if the Company does care.Now there are other,bigger Titles coming up,the hype around Trenched/Iron Brigade is dead and people are buying Crysis or Resident Evil 4 for 5 Bucks more.

Bring your whining to Microsoft, as they are the publisher of this game. All the problems you mention are in the responsibility of the publisher and not of the developer. And 'yes' MS messed up quite some releases lately...

Bring your whining to Microsoft, as they are the publisher of this game. All the problems you mention are in the responsibility of the publisher and not of the developer. And 'yes' MS messed up quite some releases lately...

Actually its DFs fault not checking the Licenses on the name...they give the Game the Name.

For weeks they didn´t even contact the Company who holds the rights, at least thats one of the litte information some Magazines got based on Rui Alípio Monteiro on 12.07.11 which is the holder of the Name.

By the way, it´s not on the Release-List up to 26th October:

xboxliveneuheiten.jpg

The information-politics are also a fault of the people who made the game - and thats still DF.They don´t even react to questions about it,all information in the last 2 Months is spread by the community.I don´t see a MS-problem there.They didn´t even say a word after they have broken their September-promise.

Not a believer in crying over spilled milk here, let alone to deaf ears. But what can you do? The name change and DLC may even never happen for all we know. I'm not making a statement on the probability of it, just...Those kinds of whining, self-centered rants folks seem to believe message boards were made for really get old. If you've read one, you've read them all. I'll be happy if/when the update and DLC comes, happier with less crying over spilled milk as well. I've barely played the game since August, the survival mode and more folks to play it with will definitely add no less than a month of playtime to it. About the same for the DLC, I'm certain.

Those screens at Giant Bomb are pretty nice, I must say. GameSpot also featured a nifty preview & Brad Muir interview on it the other day. 320 or 400 units of fun money? Sounds reasonable either way, less would be preferred though :x

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely a DF fanboy, and like I said I'll probably still be getting this game, but I'm also a realist and all this has left me very disappointed. Maybe it's because I'm not used to being disappointed by DF but I'm finding these delays very frustrating and I think I have lost faith in the company, even if its just a little.

I completely understand that their hands are probably tied by lawyers from Microsoft or god knows where, but I've seen plenty of cases in the past where a company has been able to say something and nothing at the same time, they wouldn't even have to say they are trying to move things forward, just saying that they can't talk would imply that there is still some sort of process going on.

As it is, wild theories and accusations are all we have, so you can't blame some of us for getting a little hyperbolic.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I believe that making my concerns known and remaining passionate about the game is preferable to accepting this situation and letting the game fade from memory, and maybe somewhere along the line some answers will emerge.

That would make perfect sense if people were whining about the game not being released in Europe. As people are actually complaining about DoubleFine not taking the time to tell people what's going on, it makes no sense at all.

We are still working on it and will post info when we can.

Industry standard cop-out response. It's like everyone went to Blizzard's summer camp on how to manage a community, specifically focused on never telling the people that care most about your game anything.

We are still working on it and will post info when we can.

The DLC or the release?

It´s awful how long-time Fans got treated here...we got not a single(!)offical info after August 16th about any European release.I can´t shake the feeling the game will never make it.It was released over 4 Months ago in the US and never appeared on any Release-List ever since.

To the people who think its MSs fault: This is the forum of the Devs who don´t spread any info.maybe theres a Problem with MS but it´s not them giving the Game a name which has a copyright...companys usually check that before they Release a game.

Microsoft are publishing the game, and they're obviously the ones to decide the release date, etc, but the initial problem had nothing to do with them. I'm willing to believe that DoubleFine probably weren't allowed to talk about it while the lawsuit was going on, but that's long since over. Whoever's fault it was, we've been waiting since July with no information at all, are you really surprised that people have lost their patience?

Even a simple statement of "We can't talk about, it's not our place" would have helped calm some of the rage we're seeing here, but the developers have seemingly refused even to do that. And don't tell me they can announce DLC and talk about that to their hearts content, but aren't able to answer simple questions about the European release, the fact that the DLC is higher up on their priority is frankly insulting.

Don't get me wrong, Double Fine are great developers and have made some excellent games, but people are angry and have every right to be, and at this point, it's damaging DoubleFine's reputation as much as the game's. I'm sick of waiting, and we're long past an ideal launch window. The way this game's been handled has been horrible and I'd like to see someone take some responsibility for it.

Microsoft are publishing the game, and they're obviously the ones to decide the release date, etc, but the initial problem had nothing to do with them. I'm willing to believe that DoubleFine probably weren't allowed to talk about it while the lawsuit was going on, but that's long since over. Whoever's fault it was, we've been waiting since July with no information at all, are you really surprised that people have lost their patience?

Even a simple statement of "We can't talk about, it's not our place" would have helped calm some of the rage we're seeing here, but the developers have seemingly refused even to do that. And don't tell me they can announce DLC and talk about that to their hearts content, but aren't able to answer simple questions about the European release, the fact that the DLC is higher up on their priority is frankly insulting.

Don't get me wrong, Double Fine are great developers and have made some excellent games, but people are angry and have every right to be, and at this point, it's damaging DoubleFine's reputation as much as the game's. I'm sick of waiting, and we're long past an ideal launch window. The way this game's been handled has been horrible and I'd like to see someone take some responsibility for it.

I still wonder why they got forums anyway...they don´t seem to care.It´s 16th of November now and not a single word since August...I think I´m done with them.Seriously.I bought some of their games but since the half-done Brütal Legend they had a rough course - but not reacting to fans questions is the wrong way.Why should I give them money for completely ignoring the potential customers?It whould be like buying a certain Activision Product...