Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acefox&#13

The All Things Batman Thread

Did anyone hear about people going on Change.org to petition for Rotten Tomatoes to shut down because DC movies got bad reviews?

Leto's Joker is definitely inspired by "Joker" by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo. This Joker is gangsta.

Angry Joe says Suicide Squad is way better than BvS and thinks critics are crazy. That upped my interest meter quite a bit as I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Angry Joe says Suicide Squad is way better than BvS and thinks critics are crazy. That upped my interest meter quite a bit as I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

His favourite superhero is also Superman, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

38 minutes ago, Johro said:

His favourite superhero is also Superman, so I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

Why is that a problem? Batman isn't exactly the OG superhero, he just happens to be the most popular at the moment. I like Batman and Superman equally.

Edited by Noname215

I always found Superman very boring.  Even as a little kid, he never interested me.  I never wanted to be Superman as a kid, so I never got into it at all.  

Suicide Squad is awful, Angry Joe doesn't know what he's talking about. 

BvS at least had that great bit at the beginning with Bruce Wayne driving around in a collapsing Metropolis while Superman and Zod fight in the background. Suicide Squad had a half-assed character arc with El Diablo that could have been really good if they'd actually set it up properly. And Amanda Waller was pretty decently done.

The other characters were acted well, but given pretty much nothing substantial in terms of character direction.

Edited by Alcoremortis

I enjoyed it and agreed with a lot of what Angry Joe said. Like me, we both liked Man Of Steel a lot, didn't care for Batman V Superman's theatrical cut, and really liked Suicide Squad.

Maybe it was another one of those things where the studio cut out the wrong stuff. Like what they did to BVS. I for one like stupid action movies, and I liked Deadshot, Harley, and Diablo, cared about what happened to them, and I found it to be a lot more competant than Batman V Superman. It wasn't trying to be anything more than what it was, unlike BVS which wanted to be this big, dark, edgy epic (only two scenes in that movie are truly great: intro, and warehouse brawl).

Edited by Noname215

You're shaming him for liking Superman? That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. It just means that the movie might appeal to people who have a different preference than you (yes, they exist). Like say, preferring Superman as their favourite superhero.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

That wasn't what she was talking about, she was referring to his opinion on Suicide Squad.

Yeah, I was talking about Suicide Squad. And it's not because I don't like dumb action movies. I LOVE dumb action movies. 

What I can't stand is dumb action movies that don't own their own dumb action movieness. That try to be overly pretentious (MoS and BvS fall in this category) or try to be something they're not (like Suicide Squad). 

This movie should've been a heist with Amanda Waller messing around with sensitive info from another country or something just because she can and she's Amanda Waller. That's all the set-up needed to make this movie amazing. 

I keep on going over that movie and I keep finding new things that just don't make sense. [spoilers for the movie]

Spoiler

It feels like there was a half decent movie in there and then some studio exec was like "no Ayer, we wanted Guardians. GUARDIANS!" and then they replaced all the character arcs with weird backstories for Deadshot and Harley to try to make them relatable and those cringey splashcard bits.

Both of those backstories would have been far better served if they were integrated into the movie. Have Deadshot be the jokey badass or whatever and then slowly reveal that he's got a soft side. Everyone knows Harley Quinn, they should've kept the reveal that Joker was coming to get her until he actually shows up to make it a shocking moment.

Speaking of shocking moments, all the momentum was just sucked out of the finale with the constant update shots showing how far the villains had gotten. With no sense of urgency from the squad, those shots were completely pointless, particularly because there was no way of telling how far along the machine was. It's just a bunch of swirling junk that Enchantress was wiggling in front of. You know this is a Bad Thing, but at no point did the movie explain that further than "oh, it'll destroy humanity". Okay, great. How? When? It needed an outsider to give an ETA or it becomes a machine that moves at the speed of the plot, which isn't scary at all.

And so many setups that were never used. Katana has a soul sucking sword and we never get to see it suck anyone's soul? What's the point of mentioning it, then? You'd think that needing to detonate a bomb underwater would be a time for Killer Croc to shine, but no, nameless soldiers get to do that bit while he has the worst underwater fight I've ever seen with something I couldn't tell what it was. Amanda Waller had Enchantress' heart for basically the entire movie but aside from poking it a few times, she never tries to destroy it, not when Enchantress is clearly no longer working for them, not even when she's about to be captured by Enchantress. That in particular was a "chronically stupid to the point of lack of self-preservation" moment, which is completely out of character for Waller. It's not even like she needed it to keep Rick Flagg around, it's not like he would have found out until much later.

And El Diablo, I actually really liked him. He had a great little arc, the only problem was it was in the wrong movie. He needed a movie where the Squad is together for weeks doing various minor missions before the big one and he gradually 'warms up' (pun intended) to the team. Then his 'you're my family now' line would make any sort of sense. Instead, it just seemed really really out there. Apparently everyone who jokes around with this guy for two hours is his new family. Great. But really, the moment where he goes all twelve-foot tall flaming skeleton? That should have been a show stopping moment! That should have been DC's "I'm always angry" before going HAM on Enchantress' brother. It should've been hype af! Instead, it was presented as "now this is happening".

In summary, I could see a good movie in there somewhere and it's driving me NUTS that they went with this junk instead.

Edited by Alcoremortis

My post was of my general opinion against Joe's.  Him and I have very different opinions on what are good superhero stories and films and I was indicating that I would not be taking his word for one of these films for that reason.  It really wasn't just because he likes Superman the most.  I used to really like him and I've seen him speak on the matter numerous times.  We just don't share the same views in this genre and medium.

I think it's just another case of editing like with BVS. Ayer is too good of a filmmaker to just drop a bad movie, and anyone who's seen Fury or End Of Watch would know that. Hell, I even liked Sabotage.

I think we can chop this case up ad "to each his/her own."

Edited by Noname215

I know you were talking about Suicide Squad. I'm criticizing saying someone doesn't know what they're talking about on as subjective a topic as whether a movie was enjoyable or not.

So, I think I can summarize Dark Knight III: The Master Race like this: it's average. Which means that Azzarello's really pulling the reins here, since Miller doesn't halfass anything. It's either terrible or great. So here, to get a subpar Millerverse Batman story, is a little disappointing, but at least it isn't painful to read. I mean, I still enjoy knowing where these characters are going next.

That reminds me, I never got around to summarizing DKIII #5 or Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

The Killing Joke song was taken straight from the book. Although in my head I always pictured it going at a slower tempo and accompanied not by a big band, but by a little toy piano or a wind up musical box. It would make sense because Joker likes to take innocent things and pervert them.

But I will say that the song from Arkham Knight was awesome. What do you think of Cold Cold Heart from Arkham Origins?

Edited by Noname215

Sign in to follow this