Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acefox&#13

The All Things Batman Thread

Well, Hans Zimmer had to come up with something after years of scoring Nolan's Dark Knight movies.

His message is pretty bizarre too.  It sounds like she ran away from home or something.  Hope it turns out well.

Hard to judge.  I'm worried that the trailer focused more on Wonder Woman just because her movie was more well received than Batman.  The movie itself could have a whole different feel.

I'll probably see it when it's on bluray.  What do I know.  To me, BvS was no worse than any of the Marvel movies.  I didn't get the hate.

Todd Phillips, Scott Silver and Martin Scorsese are teaming up for a non-DCEU film all about The Joker, to be a grounded hard boiled film set in 1980s Gotham City.

Edited by Noname215

I think it would be too difficult for an animated movie to replicate a still image from a comic book to a tee. Mignola's visual style is very based on lighting and the human form that I don't think would translate all that well to the screen. It's why I wasn't bothered by the animation styles from Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns, since both works have distinct visual styles that work for a comic book artist but wouldn't work for an animator (Brian Bolland's realism and Frank Miller's visceral grittiness), and it's the same case for Mike Mignola.

The Screw-on-Head animation looks neat, but it utilises a more limited animation technique (especially in the mouth movement), and looks quite rigid in the animation of the human characters.   The action scenes look pretty good, though there is definitely room to improve in the closeups of the people, and this animation is a lot more limited than the quality Warner Bros. Animation puts out with its DC Universe films (the action scenes look nice, but the scenes with the human characters remind me of a motion comic, albeit a very well done motion comic).

On 8/27/2017 at 5:46 PM, Noname215 said:

I think it would be too difficult for an animated movie to replicate a still image from a comic book to a tee. Mignola's visual style is very based on lighting and the human form that I don't think would translate all that well to the screen. It's why I wasn't bothered by the animation styles from Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns, since both works have distinct visual styles that work for a comic book artist but wouldn't work for an animator (Brian Bolland's realism and Frank Miller's visceral grittiness), and it's the same case for Mike Mignola.

This is very true.  The more realistic a drawing becomes, the harder it is to translate into two-dimensional animation.  

There are recent improvements in combining three-dimensional lighting techniques on a two-dimensional plane for two-dimensional animation, but we're still a ways off when it comes to utilising three-dimensional animation techniques on a two dimensional plane in a fluid and realistic manner when it comes to two-dimensional character animation.

I doubt that it could ever be done traditionally, as even the animation masters such as Max Fleischer and Don Bluth struggled with this.  It's one of the reasons why the legends of animation such as Ub Iwerks and Chuck Jones animated characters with unrealistic qualities such as squash-and-stretch.  The cartoonish character designs actually look more lively when doing unrealistic movements.  The opposite would be true for more realistic designs.  You'd have to stick to realistic movement, and that's hard to come across in two dimensional animation without the image looking rigid or stiff

There's a lot of interesting commentary available on this in regards to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.  They were able to give Snow White more of the movements that the animators were used to doing in their shorts, as her arm movements could be a little more rubbery when it came to her dancing.  And, of course, the Dwarves used a cartoonish design, so that wasn't a problem with them.  But, with the Prince, he had to be the prim and proper type, so using the rubbery animation on him looked odd, and the animators struggled with making his animation look believable without looking stiff and rigid.  If you look at the Disney princes after Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, they adopted a softer, rounded look, that allowed them to use a more rubbery animation without it looking odd and off-putting.

The adaptations of Killing Joke and DKR did change up the visual style, though, even if it wasn't 1:1 the same as the comics. I'm not suggesting GBG should be exactly the same as Screw-On Head or the comic (although I think WB would be a lot more capable of it than you're giving them credit for), just that it's a shame they're not taking on at least a little of that style.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:28 PM, Noname215 said:

Danny Elfman is inserting the John Williams Superman theme into Justice League.

I'm glad about that.  It's really the perfect Superman theme, with it's booming, in your face melody, which fits Superman.  Just as Elfman's own theme for Batman is perfect for that character as it's dark and foreboding, and gradually gets more intense, like Batman himself. 

Hopefully the film takes a cue from the Christopher Reeves films too, and give more of a classic Superman, that would better fit this theme music.  Honestly, the DC movie Universe could really stand to have a hero like that, with a Superman who's not afraid to be a symbol for good. 

So the Aquaman movie has wrapped filming. Patrick Wilson and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II play Ocean Master and Black Manta, and I'm happy to see James Wan again venturing outside of horror like he did with Furious 7.

Also, the guy who did Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation got the Shazam gig.

Edited by Noname215

So it seems that if Justice League fails, then WB is pulling the plug on Flashpoint and Man Of Steel 2.

I hope it doesn't fail, since Flashpoint is one of my favorite DC stories.  I really loved the animated version of it, and I'm looking forward to the live action adaptation.

Just got back from Justice League. It could’ve used a lot of work in certain areas, especially with certain lines, but it got the characters right and its heart was clearly in the right place. 

Deathstroke was a badass addition. So was Green Lantern.

I hope they get Tara Strong to play Harley Quinn.  Warner Bros Animation's choice to replace Arleen Sorkin with Melissa Rauch instead of Tara Strong in Harley Quinn & Batman wasn't a good decision.  Tara's not an exact duplication of the original voice, but it's really close. Melissa Rauch isn't even near to being close, and her interpretation of Harley's accent was way too thick and got annoying really quickly.

Sign in to follow this