Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apple Pop

Games you were excited for (that ended up flopping)

What games were you all looking forward too, but ended up just plain horrible? And why?

For me, I was pretty excited about Demetium for the DS. Cool SH styled FPS looking horror game with stylus controls. The whole story concept sounded pretty cool too of the main character being thrown into an asylum and traveling around the place. And then here I am, going without playing a good survival horror game in awhile and was all "Woaw! This could be the thing!" Finally, it comes out and I see an artical in GI on it. Normaly, I ignore the ratings and stuff given by those articals. I prefer feedback from actual people I know (or awesome most amazing people from DFAF, which happens to be everybody) whose played.

But then I saw the bad rating and read through it. I didn't want to believe this and I read it again. Ugh. The magazine seems right. (I've learned my lesson... Somewhat. *mopes*) It was awful. And the whole check point system of going back to a beggining of a chapter when you die is painful. You have to go get and do everything again. And the spooks are pretty obvious apparently. I'm so sad.

I guess that I'll have to give it a try when someone I know gets it, just to make any judgements only that I myself can truely do, but still.

So, what about you all? Games you were looking forward to that ended up going sour?

The Adventures of Cookie and Cream for the DS, I liked the PS2 version with it's co-op play, but the DS version wasn't nearly as good. I can't really think of anything else atm.

Guitar Hero 3 (I get stabbed for this one). I just couldn't find enough enjoyable songs that were worth paying $50 for. I even went to a midnight launch party for the stupid thing, and I wish I had my two hours back.

Hell Gate London- graphics were kick a$$ awsome but then they pushed/rushed the game to be released on Halloween. it ended up killing the game for me b/c there was so much obviously incomplete or poorly thought out :[

Any and all Matrix games released. Promises great combat system, mind-boggling story, and instead... blocky controls, sucky managing, and in MxO's case, lack of persistent funding and numerous, numerous bugs.

Twilight Princess: Not so much a bad game, just a bit dismal for one so long in the making that it just became overkill in the face of hype.

Soul Calibur III: Not really as clean as polished as II, but a game that grew more and more on me, over time.

Kingdom Hearts 2: Leaps and bounds beyond it's predecessor, and a game I thoroughly enjoyed and embraced as much as it's forebearer; but the level designs became a bit too simplistic. And once finished- there was very little to do. (TP suffered the same fate)

Assassin's Creed: Seems to have had mixed reviews; although it shall be a long while until I actually own a copy, it seems to have crushed my hopes that it would be a blend of both the 'Thief' and 'Prince of Persia' titles.

Aside from that: thankfully I have not paid too much heed to reviews and such, which shelters me from hype somewhat killing a game. That and a lot of the games I have eagerly awaited have turned up trumps. ;)

Deus Ex: Invisible War. It took everything awesome about the first game and threw it in the bin.

It still makes me sad to this day.

Oh, I thought of another: Dawn of Mana. And Children of Mana, for that matter. AND Heroes of Mana! Agh! I don't have Dawn of Mana but I lost interest when I heard that, after you complete a level, you go back to level 1 (essentially).

Children of Mana kept me fairly entertained, but after getting to the final boss (and quitting) looking back it was just wholly bland.

and Heroes of Mana just makes me want to go play Starcraft or Fire Emblem instead.

I really love the two Secret of Mana's and Legend of Mana games (and the similar SNES games like Illusion of Gaia or Secret of Evermore) <3 Action RPGs

I thought Goldeneye: Rouge Agent for xbox was gonna rock, especially since I'm a Bond fan, and I enjoyed Nightfire, but I got it an it sucked way big time. Same with X-Men Legends, the graphics just didn't look good at all. I spend $80 on both games, and ended up selling both for $7 apiece. :/ Shat happens.

Twilight Princess: Not so much a bad game, just a bit dismal for one so long in the making that it just became overkill in the face of hype.

Kingdom Hearts 2: Leaps and bounds beyond it's predecessor, and a game I thoroughly enjoyed and embraced as much as it's forebearer; but the level designs became a bit too simplistic. And once finished- there was very little to do. (TP suffered the same fate)

those Halo3, (not sure if i like it or hate it yet but mario galaxys)

You may say Halo 3 was disappointing, but Super Mario Galaxy most definitely does not fall into that category. It's probably the best game on Wii.

That really is not too difficult considering how early on it is in the Wii's ''great releases'' department.

Deus Ex: Invisible War. It took everything awesome about the first game and threw it in the bin.

It still makes me sad to this day.

I'm so very glad I played Invisible War, first, because I absolutely loved it. And then I played Deus Ex which I absolutely loved even more. I should point out, I played Invisible War on the Xbox and Deus Ex on PC, which is what they were respectively constructed for play on. I have since played Deus Ex on PS2, which sucks, and Invisible War on PC, which sucks.

You may say Halo 3 was disappointing, but Super Mario Galaxy most definitely does not fall into that category. It's probably the best game on Wii.

That really is not too difficult considering how early on it is in the Wii's ''great releases'' department.

Lolz but yeah no i said Possibly mario. i havent played enough of it yet to say i liked or hated it. tho the whole running on worlds is kinda cool the fuc*ing camera is a pain! more than half the time i run off the side of the planet not knowing the ledge ended. also the gravity its not to bad but on that square world where you have to step on the "!" to turn them into "?" i died more times than i most likely will the rest of the game cuz the camera was sideways and i couldnt judge my jumping from the change of gravity. other that that the game is still fun im enjoying the boss battles even tho its by a far to easy to beat them i still give the game like a 8 or 7 and a half, but yeah halo3 sucks ballz. :D

Sadly.... Odin Sphere was kind of disappointing. I was very pumped about it, after seeing all of the amazing trailers. And now that I own it, I can say that it definitely IS an amazing looking PS2 title, and the gameplay is pretty sweet, but the disappointment arises from the fact that it is the most repetitive game I have ever played. For RPG enthusiasts, it's probably not so big a deal, but it's basically a non-stop grind fest. That is all you really do in the game is grind. It's cool that the rewards you earn from grinding are so interactive and well-conceived, creating a complicated system where you can create loads of new items, but once you get over your amazement at that feature, it's basically just endless grinding. Still fun, but I was expecting something so much cooler.

I also don't like it that it boasts to have "a story that deserves a place in the canon of classical literature". Pfff... please.... I love video games, but I also love literature and if there is one thing I have never seen, it is a video game that belongs in the canon of classical literature. If any game ever came close, it was certainly not Odin Sphere. It's as cliche as any other JRPG (sans goofy japanese humor); It's just delivered in a creative way.

Final Fantasy XII. This gets me into huge amounts of trouble with the FF fans, but the game is seriously mediocre on fun. It is brilliant in terms of Final Fantasy fanservice and immersive environments, and the gambit system was a cool idea, but the game just didn't deliver. Enemies were reused shamelessly with different skins (all RPGs tend to do this, but FFXII seemed to do it more conspicuously than any I have ever played), many dungeons were extremely boring, the game had an infuriating fetish for inflicting as many status effects as possible, most of the characters were bland and boring (this also gets me yelled at by FFXII enthusiasts), and the license board was just kind of lousy (too easy for everyone to learn everything). I'm still playing the game because I've put so much time into it, and I find it hard to just put down a game without finishing it. But the game just doesn't measure up to my standards for a fun game, or even a fun RPG (which involve a certain degree of "work" by nature). When I play FFXII, I feel like my brain is turning to mush. So, yeah. It looks great, it has a lot of cool FF related stuff in it, but just plain mediocre, at best, on fun.

Two Worlds- I convinced a ton of people to ay 60 bucks for it, so they could play the co-op with me over Live, and not only was I not around for opening weekend, but it was lagging horribly no matter who hosted it, and not to mention it just totally sucked.

Halo 3- Just utterly diasapointing for me, I really hated it

It looks like Too Human is really going to flop with this lawsuit an BS even though it hasn't come out yet.

I liked Twilight Princess alot, it was fun and had a cool plot and game play and all, but there were a few things that killed it for me. Mainly the difficulty, but also,

I was so happy tht the main villian wasn't Ganondorf for once, and then Zant had to be all "OMG GUESS WHUT I'M A PUPPET GO FIGHT GANON NOW, LAWL!" and then I was all "NOOOOOO!!! ZANT WAS COOL EVEN IF HE WAS A PSYCHO!"

The game really didn't live up to the hype that was surrounding it. As a result my favorite LoZ game is still Majora's Mask.

Holy crepe, my favorite Zelda game is MM too! (Who needs OoT?) Maybe we're like twins that got separated at birth.

Heh, not quite. I think you shall find that a lot of Zelda fans favour MM. The appalling dungeons and nuisance save system utterly ruined it for me, that and the fact it had a habit of freezing for no apparent reason and as a result of the save malarkey- left you with no save to load from.

^ You talk very fancy, do you know that?

Oh and I think that a lot of Wii games are very fun. I was very excited to play Brunswick Bowling when my grandma first got it for her Wii, but I could not get it to work, so that game kinda failed me. I'll stick with the bowling on Wii Sports.

Mercenaries. I loved the concept when I read about it and it looked really fun, but after like an hour of gameplay it got a bit dull.

Holy crepe, my favorite Zelda game is MM too! (Who needs OoT?) Maybe we're like twins that got separated at birth.

Heh, not quite. I think you shall find that a lot of Zelda fans favour MM. The appalling dungeons and nuisance save system utterly ruined it for me, that and the fact it had a habit of freezing for no apparent reason and as a result of the save malarkey- left you with no save to load from.

Not to mention those FRICKIN' WATER TEMPLES!!!

At least in MM you can have fun with it by swiming arond as a Zora. In OoT I went in and was all. "Oh! Cool! This don't look too hard!"

Then I looked into the water and I got a pang of horror.

Freedombattery, we may truely be twins. We should have some reunition and have it filmed on Ophra. Or however her name is spelt, because I don't really pay attention to that.

Not to mention those FRICKIN' WATER TEMPLES!!!

At least in MM you can have fun with it by swiming arond as a Zora. In OoT I went in and was all. "Oh! Cool! This don't look too hard!"

Then I looked into the water and I got a pang of horror.

Freedombattery, we may truely be twins. We should have some reunition and have it filmed on Ophra. Or however her name is spelt, because I don't really pay attention to that.

You are not wrong about that water temple. I recall it took me nearly a week to finish that accursed thing. Leave the Zora's be. They shall just wait for the next scamp to come along and thaw them out; it is not as though they are slowly dying within their icy hovel. However, all is forgiven for the glory of the Lost Woods and the music (Saria's song and the Bolero of Fire are some of the best tracks ever.)

However, I still think the Stone Tower is more stubble inducing that OOT's Water Temple. It is probably the one Zelda temple I have had the most trouble with. I have not touched the MM Collectors Edition since I finished the ST temple in an elated state, I had no magic pots for twinrova and only the standard magic meter (damn faeries), only to run out in to Termina for the Clock-town save point and I chose to cut some grass-- game freezes. ;#

I personally think what TP did deliver on, was the best Temples within a Zelda Game.

Also, Can I appear as the lost brother on Opera-tic-wench, who was abandoned at sea as a young lad, and then forced to become a corsair of leisure?

For me it is Bioshock. I was so excited about this game thinking it was going to continue in the spirit (gameplay wise) of the System Shock games. What I got was a FPS and not a very good one.

Deus Ex: Invisible War would be another one.

You are not wrong about that water temple. I recall it took me nearly a week to finish that accursed thing. Leave the Zora's be. They shall just wait for the next scamp to come along and thaw them out; it is not as though they are slowly dying within their icy hovel. However, all is forgiven for the glory of the Lost Woods and the music (Saria's song and the Bolero of Fire are some of the best tracks ever.)

However, I still think the Stone Tower is more stubble inducing that OOT's Water Temple. It is probably the one Zelda temple I have had the most trouble with. I have not touched the MM Collectors Edition since I finished the ST temple in an elated state, I had no magic pots for twinrova and only the standard magic meter (damn faeries), only to run out in to Termina for the Clock-town save point and I chose to cut some grass-- game freezes. ;#

I personally think what TP did deliver on, was the best Temples within a Zelda Game.

Also, Can I appear as the lost brother on Opera-tic-wench, who was abandoned at sea as a young lad, and then forced to become a corsair of leisure?

I personaly loved the Stone Tower Temple. Even though some parts were truely a pain in the ass there. I liked how creative it was, the puzzles, and both audio tracks used for it (normal and upside down) were briliant.

And yes, you may be the lost brother on Opera-tic-wench, who was abandoned at sea as a young lad, and then forced to become a corsair of leisure! I however, wish to wear a mysterious trench coat and say "I play video games. And some violent ones too," so I can hear a gasp of shock from the audiance, as people try to drag me off stage to go on the Dr. Phil show against my will.

For me it is Bioshock. I was so excited about this game thinking it was going to continue in the spirit (gameplay wise) of the System Shock games. What I got was a FPS and not a very good one.

Really??? All I heard was wonderful things about Bioshock.

Well I'm going back to the past, Munch's Oddysee. It wouldn't have been a let down if I didn't know what the game was supposed to be before it came out. It was still a good game though, I was just disappointed a little.

Really??? All I heard was wonderful things about Bioshock.

It really is a good game, but it's not God's gift to mankind or anything. There are still alot of games that I personally favore much more than Bioshock. (Psychonauts and Resident Evil 4 are a good example of this).

To be honest, even though it was pretty creative at parts, in the way of being a shooter, it wasn't that new, saddly. But I got a kick out of the pipe dream "hacking". Petty advanced technology they have if you can hack pipes. Either that or your character is some godly force.

Two words: Galactic Battlegrounds.

Nothing says letdown quite like those two words, no sir.

Wasn't there one called Agent Under Fire or something like that? I recall it being pure crap.

My cousin had Agent Under Fire. I enjoyed it. Even though I was like, 9 and enjoyed the idea of a lazer watch.

Sign in to follow this