Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Psychonauts Support: Legacy Thread

Actually, the XBox 360 controller uses a different instruction set than HID (which modern operating systems support). HID is what the majority of USB controllers (as well as USB mice and keyboards) use to communicate to the computer. It also tells the OS how many buttons, what kind of buttons, etc. Microsoft decided to go the proprietary route with their controllers, most likely to lock people into buying their own controllers and have a licensing fee for those who want to make a new controller.

As for OnLive using the XBox 360 controller, it probably directly accesses the controller instead of using the HID guidelines for the controller, while using normal HID guidelines for others.

Sorry, this was a bit tangential.

Problems (nothing serious so far):

1. There's a weird series of yellow lines across the ground whenever Raz does a double jump. This can be see the first time the player is given control of the character, outside his hut, across the green ground of Whispering Rock. They're VERY noticeable.

2. The HUD is stretched in Widescreen resolutions.

I'm running at: 1680 x 1050 / 60Mhz

Windows 7 x64

ATI Radeon 6870

4GB RAM

I just bought the game today from the App Store. It runs great, aside from the random freeze-ups I keep experiencing. The audio continues but that's about it. I have to force quit the game and restart only to have the same thing happen at random intervals. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this?

I bought Psychonauts on Steam after hearing about the update and I'm having issues with a pair of bugs that render it unplayable on my machine.

-large terrain textures in camp are in white and grey. The double jump lighting effect makes them temporarily visible until it ends.

-character voices and music aren't played.

I was going to post screenshots of the terrain glitch but the game's started downloading a 492MB patch, which may end up fixing everything. If it does, great! If it doesn't, I'll edit this post with a screenshot or two.

It's not a big deal, really; these things are just part of being a PC gamer, I guess, and I've learned to live with them.

My hardware specs:

CPU: i5-2500K @3.30GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia GTX460

Thanks in advance!

edit: the patch fixed the issue, thanks!

I bought Psychonauts on the Mac App store, and the game consistently crashes right after I punch the general in the chin in the recruiting office. Complete freeze; only force-quit will work.

I am running on a Macbook Pro 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.7.1 with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB graphics.

Apologies if this is taken up elsewhere, but the long standing issue with the mouse not working unless vsync is turned on seems to be still existing with the steam version of the game . Without vsync on mouse movement just plain doesn't happen. With it turned on the game works fine but the menus spaz out. I love this game and I've been pushing it to everyone I know but I kind of hoped this huge fix would have addressed that. Its kind of a massive issue from the pc keyoard mouse standpoint you see. Thanks for any updates, I really want to make people play the game but no mouse support kind of still kills it. I bought the game at best buy when it came out and lost the discs from moving and bought it again on steam, I don't recall mouse issues with the retail but that was many years ago. There was also issues with scene changes going to a black screen on the steam version but I haven't played it enough recently to veriify if they still exist. If anyone can actually forward these issues to the dev team that would be great since they are going to get a big hit on steam of a slightly broken game.

I bought Psychonauts on the Mac App store, and the game consistently crashes right after I punch the general in the chin in the recruiting office. Complete freeze; only force-quit will work.

I am running on a Macbook Pro 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.7.1 with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB graphics.

I have the exact same problem. After messing with the graphics settings I've been able to get a little further in the obstacle course, but it'll still consistently crash within a minute after punching Oleander's projection.

Macbook Air late 2010

Mac OS 10.7.1, 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVidia GeForce 320M 256MB

I can no longer play this game in English after the patch.

The game runs in German for me even though it is set to the English version in Steam. I would love to

a) get an in-game option to change back to English

or

b) know how to change it in any other way. -> how is that even determined. Even my region is set to the UK in Windows.

Things I tried:

- switching the language of the game in Steam back & forth

- using a parameter (-english and -en will not work)

- changing the keyboard layout to a UK-layout

Edit: I fixed it. Setting the language of the game to German or French in Steam creates a file called "psychonauts.ini" in the game folder. That file is missing in the English version of the game. Open that file and change the content to:

language english

setting the language to English in Steam will delete the file again though.

I bought the game via Steam. I'm currently having problems running it on my Mac Pro. The game seems to run fine on my MacBook Pro.

Mac Pro Early 2008 specs:

Mac OS X 10.7.1

Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Main display: Dell 2408WFP @ 1920x1200

Mouse: Razer Naga MMOG

It starts up and both screens blank out but the game only renders in a small box in the lower left corner of the main display.

Mouse controls do not work properly in the menu system. The cursor can move left and right but it stays up at the top of the screen.

Keyboard controls do not work at all in the Options screen. I can use keys to select Options from the menu but I cannot choose any of the three items.

So far, I've only seen one other person with the same issue. That was in one of the reviews on the App Store. 

I've only tried unplugging my second screen to see if that would resolve the video ssue but it didn't work.

I got this as well and found a salutation. I tried to launch the game from it's folder and it told me it couldn't find "d3dx9_43.dll" I downloaded it from the net and dropped it into my Psychonauts folder and the game works =)

I think this might be the problem for me too, but after all the effort of downloading these shadey files, I may have just installed some kind of virus program, possibly, thanks a lot double fine. At least it shows another error saying I need something running Shader Model 2.

Next time a programmer asks "Hey, should we erase all the files that run the game as part of our patch?" just say no.

I have the exact same problem. After messing with the graphics settings I've been able to get a little further in the obstacle course, but it'll still consistently crash within a minute after punching Oleander's projection.

Macbook Air late 2010

Mac OS 10.7.1, 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVidia GeForce 320M 256MB

Yep, Me too. Mid 2010 macbook, same specs except for a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo and 2 GB of ram.

So after the new update on Steam, I decide to play the game through again. The last time I did was February 2010, when I was using two ATI 4870 X2 cards under 64-bit Vista. Now I'm using one XFX 4GB 5970 card under 64-bit Windows 7.

There are now a few problems I did not have before, though whether they can be attributed to the change in graphics card (and drivers) or the update, I cannot easily guess.

First, on the main screen where you walk around the brain to load or start a new game, all the models are invisible, save for Raz's goggles. After loading a game (by pressing Esc to get a simple menu) and returning to the title screen, everything is kosher. If I disable AA (from within the game), this problem does not occur.

Second, there's a lighting glitch that shows up with a double-jump (and probably levitation in general, though I haven't gotten that far due to the next bug). Rather than describe it, here's a screenshot: http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7198/psychonautslightglitch.jpg

Third, the game crashes in cutscenes. The opening one (INTRO.bik) crashed a couple times, but it played through on the third attempt. None crashed after that until the end of Basic Braining, where CABV.bik crashes consistently, right at the beginning.

This is the crash information from CABV.bik:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Psychonauts.exe

Application Version: 1.0.4.0

Application Timestamp: 4e851dda

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17651

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e211319

Exception Code: 40010006

Exception Offset: 0000b9bc

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 59d2

Additional Information 2: 59d28f4851ee3e61e3aa57edc696ac9e

Additional Information 3: d6c2

Additional Information 4: d6c22edffb07634efc2f09e03b50cfa9

If I move that video file, the game skips it, then crashes on the very next video (the name of which I did not track down). If I enable Windows 98 compatibility on the executable, those two videos play, but I don't know if that fixes the problem for all videos going forward.

I guess problems go here...
As I have noted in the Steam user forums, there seems to be a bug in the code:

When using the Dousing Rod when near the lake area, when I double-jump, the display goes all weird and may crash the computer. All graphics settings enabled.

Specs: Using a Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS.

I think it might be multiple shaders or something conflicting.

Also, even after putting the Dousing Rod away, it still has problems when I double-jump. I don't remember having this issue earlier.

This also exists if you use your levitation powers in the campfire area.

So I got the update yesterday and started to play it. The game recognized my Logitech Rumblepad 2 perfectly! I got to the Basic Braining and was about to play the level but I had to quit.

Today I decided I'd give that level a shot! And well... my gamepad is no longer recognized. The buttons, axis and d-pad don't work. I tried reassigning the buttons, and they weren't detected. I clicked on "Default"... same thing.

Please don't tell me I can't use my gamepad. :(

System specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 Black Edition

3 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

So I got the update yesterday and started to play it. The game recognized my Logitech Rumblepad 2 perfectly! I got to the Basic Braining and was about to play the level but I had to quit.

Today I decided I'd give that level a shot! And well... my gamepad is no longer recognized. The buttons, axis and d-pad don't work. I tried reassigning the buttons, and they weren't detected. I clicked on "Default"... same thing.

Please don't tell me I can't use my gamepad. :(

System specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 Black Edition

3 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

Did you connect the gamepad to the computer before you started the game?

Macbook Air late 2010

Yep, Me too. Mid 2010 macbook, same specs except for a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo and 2 GB of ram.

ME THREE. I am having a problem in which the game crashed right after I punch the general in the chin. I just got this game today (10/1/11) on the Mac App Store. I am running a 2010 Mac Mini, OS 10.7.1, 2.66 Core 2 Duo 8GB with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB. I actually had to force shut down the machine, I wasn't even able to force quit until I tried disabling full screen mode. Even then it was tough to get the game to quit. Please fix this because the game looks awesome so far!

I have basically the same issue as several other Mac posters here.

The game seems to run totally fine when initially roaming around Whispering Rock, but after the initial cutscene in Oleander's level, the game freezes almost immediately. The first time, it happened right as I punched the wall down, on later attempts it's been happening even before I have a chance to, while just moving the camera around or having Raz take a step forward.

Windowed vs. fullscreen makes no difference (though after having the game crash once in windowed mode, it seems to be stuck in fullscreen).

Specs: Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz, GeForce 9400M, Lion (10.7.1), playing on Steam

Is Lion the factor in common here? All the reports of this problem I've seen here and on Steam's forums seem to be people with slightly older Macs who've upgraded to Lion.

Also having the same hang issue in the Oleander training level on the Steam Mac version of Psychonauts. I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 2.26GHz Core2 Duo, NVIDIA 9400M, OSX 10.7.1.

I've tried tweaking the graphics settings to no avail. Running the Psychonauts.app binary from a terminal window does not show any console messages at the time it hangs. Nothing in the system logs either when it hangs. I am able to Cmd-Option-Esc out of the program when it hangs.

What further information can I provide?

Doh! Just bought Psychonauts again on Steam and was looking forward to reliving the memories. 5.5GB of download later... the game won't launch for me!

Platform: Mac

Hardware: Mac Pro (Early 2008), 2 x 3.2GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6xxx

Basically Steam launches it, then it just gives me an empty Psychonauts app w/ no windows. I can do an "About" and quit and that's about it... HALP!

Here's my console dump in pastebin: http://pastebin.com/YsqNj8xu

Did you connect the gamepad to the computer before you started the game?
Yes.

I checked the gamepad in the control panel and it said it wasn't working. So I unplugged it and reconnected it, and now the gamepad works.

This doesn't make any sense... It's the first time anything has caused the gamepad to vanish. Weird.

Am I the only Mac user that did NOT get it through Steam? The only problem I seem to have is lack of gamepad support, and even I'm adapting to the controls decently well for keyboard. Thank goodness for two ways of moving forward/turning: it helps when it comes time to levitate.

I am playing the Steam Mac version on a mid-2011 Mac Mini with the Radeon 6xxx graphics via the HDMI connection on Lion. When I set the graphics to 1920x1080 (my monitor's native resolution) at full screen, the graphics 'flicker' in a very interlaced-like way. It's highly distracting and basically unplayable. Setting the graphics to non-full screen eliminates the problem, but then all the OS stuff overlays everything. Turning off V-sync or the in-game Steam overlay has no obvious effect. Please fix this issue.

Otherwise, the game works perfectly.

I recently restarted re-playing Psychonauts a day before the update, and then by a serendipidous coincidence the game updated after I was only about 3 hours in. And while my game worked perfectly before the update, it doesn't now. I didn't update my drivers during the time of the update, so I can say fairly safely that it was the update that has caused the bug.

I seem to have a bug similar to one already reported. When I double jump or use the levitation ball the game crashes completely. At first when I used double jump the light emitted from the ball was staticy and didn't seem to properly overlay on the other textures. But the problem has now become far worse, and I think it might differ depending on what area you're in.

In the Brain Tumbler experiment my double jump worked to some extent (which is to say the light still looked odd, but the game didn't lag or crash) but when I got near those seed things that give out air you can levitate on once punched the game would freeze for 20 seconds or so before returning to normal with Raz standing on the floor. But once I got to the Brain Tank boss fight double jumping completely crashes my game. The screen splinters with lots of random colours and patterns appearing, including for some odd reason a picture of the font used in the game for all the text.

My specs are Windows 7 64 bit.

Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card with the latest driver 280.26

6GB Ram

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

I've tried running the game in every compatability mode with admin privilages but that hasn't helped. In game I've tried turning off AA, shaders, shadows etc and I've had no luck either. AS it stands the game is unplayable, which is really sad when the game worked perfectly immediately before the update.

TL;DR as with other people double jumping causes crashing.

Macbook Air late 2010

I've started a new thread specifically for discussion of the Mac crashing issue that many people are experiencing.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/4951/

I recently restarted re-playing Psychonauts a day before the update, and then by a serendipidous coincidence the game updated after I was only about 3 hours in. And while my game worked perfectly before the update, it doesn't now. I didn't update my drivers during the time of the update, so I can say fairly safely that it was the update that has caused the bug.

I seem to have a bug similar to one already reported. When I double jump or use the levitation ball the game crashes completely. At first when I used double jump the light emitted from the ball was staticy and didn't seem to properly overlay on the other textures. But the problem has now become far worse, and I think it might differ depending on what area you're in.

In the Brain Tumbler experiment my double jump worked to some extent (which is to say the light still looked odd, but the game didn't lag or crash) but when I got near those seed things that give out air you can levitate on once punched the game would freeze for 20 seconds or so before returning to normal with Raz standing on the floor. But once I got to the Brain Tank boss fight double jumping completely crashes my game. The screen splinters with lots of random colours and patterns appearing, including for some odd reason a picture of the font used in the game for all the text.

My specs are Windows 7 64 bit.

Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card with the latest driver 280.26

6GB Ram

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

I've tried running the game in every compatability mode with admin privilages but that hasn't helped. In game I've tried turning off AA, shaders, shadows etc and I've had no luck either. AS it stands the game is unplayable, which is really sad when the game worked perfectly immediately before the update.

TL;DR as with other people double jumping causes crashing.

Same exact problem. Game will crash when double jumping.

The game played fine when running under the i5-2500k graphics device last night.

This morning I installed my 8800 gtx, and the game consistently crashes on double jump.

I've ruled out hardware issues (temperatures never get extreme; other more recent and demanding games perform fine), and I have the latest drivers.

I bought Psychonauts on the Mac App Store last night. However, I can't run it.

I launch the game from my applications folder, it appears in the dock and then... nothing happens. The icon stays in the dock but the game never starts. The only way to stop the icon from appearing in the dock is to force quit the app.

I've tried deleting the game and re-downloading it from the Mac App Store to no avail. Restarting my computer didn't work either.

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 with 4GB of ram and an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card.

I checked the console and there were some error messages related to the game. I've posted them below:

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x7031ee20 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] -[NSCFString bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7030da60

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x73a2ad70 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x706089b0 of class NSException autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x71919ef0 of class _NSCallStackArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x71919f30 of class _NSCallStackArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] An uncaught exception was raised

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] -[NSCFString bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7030da60

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x73a2acd0 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x70856400 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x7032fef0 of class NSConcreteMutableData autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

10/2/11 7:06:44 PM cider[796] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSCFString bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7030da60'

*** Call stack at first throw:

(

0 CoreFoundation 0x9606c6ca __raiseError + 410

1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x9879f5a9 objc_exception_throw + 56

2 CoreFoundation 0x960b990b -[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 187

3 CoreFoundation 0x96012c36 ___forwarding___ + 950

4 CoreFoundation 0x96012802 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50

5 CoreFoundation 0x95fc044c CFDataGetBytePtr + 60

6 libmacdrv.dylib 0x74cd9fc7 MACDRV_GetPCIVideoDeviceInfo + 263

7 libmacdrv.dylib 0x74cd3e86 MACDRV_GL_GetPCIVideoDeviceInfo + 38

8 libd3dgl.dylib 0x76811a8e D3DGL_Init + 2158

9 libddraw.dylib 0x73d6c798 set_hal_info + 680

10 libmacdrv.dylib 0x74cd1940 MACDRV_DCICommand + 144

11 libmacdrv.dylib 0x74cd1a43 MACDRV_DC_ExtEscape + 67

12 libgdi32.dylib 0x71f72628 ExtEscape + 120

13 libddraw.dylib 0x73d6c268 DDRAW_HAL_Init + 568

14 libddraw.dylib 0x73d7e086 DDRAW_DllMain + 246

15 libntdll.dylib 0x70070572 PE_InitDLL + 194

16 libntdll.dylib 0x7005833e MODULE_InitDLL + 94

17 libntdll.dylib 0x70059460 MODULE_DllProcessAttach + 288

18 libntdll.dylib 0x700593c6 MODULE_DllProcessAttach + 134

19 libntdll.dylib 0x700593c6 MODULE_DllProcessAttach + 134

20 libntdll.dylib 0x700593c6 MODULE_DllProcessAttach + 134

21 libntdll.dylib 0x70074611 start_process + 1233

22 libntdll.dylib 0x700a39b0 THREAD_Start + 96

23 libntdll.dylib 0x7009de66 SYSDEPS_StartThread + 150

24 libntdll.dylib 0x7009dea4 SYSDEPS_PTHREADS_StartThread + 36

25 libSystem.B.dylib 0x91cd4259 _pthread_start + 345

26 libSystem.B.dylib 0x91cd40de thread_start + 34

)

If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it; I want to play this game!

Thanks in advance!

Psychonauts is my all time favorite game and I've played it on my xbox dozens of times.

I wanted to purchase it on steam recently , first picked up the demo to make sure it would run.

When I launch the game , the audio starts as normal, but my monitor goes black and display a message saying "Input signal out of range".

From what I've understood from hearing different things bout this error is the game is trying to run in a resolution or refresh rate that my monitor is not capable of.

Does anyone know a possible fix to this situation? I'd love to play through it for the billionth time. (Also this error has only occured on World of Goo for me, but I could never find out a fix for that one either)

Steam Psychonaut forums suggested I check in the "displaysettings.ini" in the game directory...However I don't have the file ( not sure if it's not included in demo version, also verfied game cache to make sure that it wasn't missing by accidnet)

Okay, the GT? 8800 bug is more pervasive than I thought. It might be bad display drivers, or it just plain crashes the display drivers.

Edit: Okay, more info. It seems if you leave an area that would cause the crash, use some levitation ability (even double-jumping), the screen will turn black then return. I think the black is the display driver crashing. Before the crash, the affected part was still in graphics memory until the crash, which clears it.

When I launch the game , the audio starts as normal, but my monitor goes black and display a message saying "Input signal out of range".

1: I am surprised the demo even started. It doesn't work normally.

2. This error means that the game runs in a resolution your monitor doesn't support. What resolution do you normally use on that machine. Getting the same error in World Of Goo is strange. Every monitor should support a 800x600 resolution. (if you didn't find out yet: you can change the resolution of World Of Goo to anything you want. Instructions: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818395 )