Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shimrod

Double Fine Extravaganza next week!!!

I want Brutal Legend 2 and also Psychonauts 2

If publishers wanted to publish them we would be playing them right now :(

Only announced one thing on Friday? I think that's stupid. Then again, they probably don't want to reveal too much on one day. Plus, there's more build up for what's going to be announced next. I have a gut feeling that they might make another game for the PC, and the very last announcement would have to be either an HD version of Psychonauts, or a sequel.

Or a new IP...

IP? Explain that for me please?

A completely new title/franchise

Oh, thanks! Yeah, I would love to see a new title as well!

I would love to see them work on either a beat 'em up, or a multi-player/party game.

Yep, sarcasm! Sorry if that wasn't clear! I was sorta-mocking the guys who are refusing to buy Trenched because it was delayed.

Oh sorry, didn't noticed that...I fell asleep afterwards so I was tired as well.

PC ports for games I already own aren't that exciting. The Trenched DLC is probably gonna be a part of this as well. Here's hoping for some form of brand new content that isn't a port or hasn't already been announced.

So does anyone know if we are getting another announcement today? If so is it the same time or at a different time?

If someone did know, most likely you won't hear them here.

Also they would keep it secret...for now (Or Should)

PC ports for games I already own aren't that exciting.

^^^

Plus I really hope some new major game is announced as well into production. I mean most people bought the 5 hour games for $15 stuff expecting it to lead to Double Fine doing another "real" game and if it didn't that kind of sucks.

Having done some research on Steve Dengler, I'm really curious how Double Fine got involved with him, and what exactly this relationship entails. Especially in regards to Costume Quest? Did DoubleFine maintain the rights to that despite the fact that THQ published?

I mean, obviously, whatever is going on is great, but I'd love to know more!

not neccessarily jrmint they probably wanted to but didnt have the money maybe they have it now

No, they started making brutal legend 2 but then their publisher said no. Same thing with psychonauts I believe. My brother played trenched with Tim schafer, and I'm pretty sure thats what he told him

I'm always intrigued when I read comments asking for sequels -- if Double Fine has consistently shown they can surprise you and create great game experiences, why the moment they do something good people ask for the same with a 2 slapped on it? Isn't it better that they drive all that creativity towards something totally new than a sequel of something you've already seen?

For example, I personally consider Grim Fandango one of the best stories I've experienced in a game, but I would never play a sequel, because it doesn't need one. Same as I wouldn't ever watch a Blade Runner 2 movie or whatnot.

Throw us more awesome new IPs, Double Fine! There's enough sequel-centric mentality in the industry nowadays. Games can be just games, not exploitable franchises. I'm also looking forward to some PC versions of games I've not been able to play since I haven't got a console.

This is so frustrating. Double Fine is now full of liars.

Excuse me, but how are they liars? Is it because they're not announcing everything in one day when we thought it was?

They didn't want to announce everything at once because they want to build the excitement for us, so don't whine and start to boycott on DF because they're not giving us the updates when we want them. They'll post the announcements when they are ready to do so.

I'm always intrigued when I read comments asking for sequels -- if Double Fine has consistently shown they can surprise you and create great game experiences, why the moment they do something good people ask for the same with a 2 slapped on it? Isn't it better that they drive all that creativity towards something totally new than a sequel of something you've already seen?

For example, I personally consider Grim Fandango one of the best stories I've experienced in a game, but I would never play a sequel, because it doesn't need one. Same as I wouldn't ever watch a Blade Runner 2 movie or whatnot.

Throw us more awesome new IPs, Double Fine! There's enough sequel-centric mentality in the industry nowadays. Games can be just games, not exploitable franchises. I'm also looking forward to some PC versions of games I've not been able to play since I haven't got a console.

I'm all for this, sequels aren't a bad thing, but I'm glad Double Fine has brought out one new game after another. Opens the door for one sequel after another too! :)

^^^

Plus I really hope some new major game is announced as well into production. I mean most people bought the 5 hour games for $15 stuff expecting it to lead to Double Fine doing another "real" game and if it didn't that kind of sucks.

Pretty sure Costume Quest, Stacked, and Trenched are all real games by virtue of the fact that you can play them, they have rules, and entertainment is had.

Having done some research on Steve Dengler, I'm really curious how Double Fine got involved with him, and what exactly this relationship entails. Especially in regards to Costume Quest? Did DoubleFine maintain the rights to that despite the fact that THQ published?

I mean, obviously, whatever is going on is great, but I'd love to know more!

Double Fine's publishing deal with THQ must have included them retaining the publishing rights for potential PC versions, given that THQ apparently had no interest in funding them.

This is so frustrating. Double Fine is now full of liars.

They didn't want to announce everything at once because they want to build the excitement for us

Well, that clearly isn't working. All the excitement went to zero the very second they didn't announce anything new. It's not that I won't be exited if after all they will announce Psychonauts 2, but if before I really counted the days before "extravaganza", then now I don't wait for anything.

So yeah, creating and building the excitement - failed.

Remember, it's not like they posted about 6 exciting announcements on the Action News or anything. That pic was only sent to press emails, right? So we were never promised anything on Friday.

^^^

If for "real" game you mean an AAA title like Brutal Legend, I'd say they don't have the slightest interest in returning to those waters again. They took the small/downloadable route because that allowed them more creativity in less risky doses, and I think they're happy with that.

Can't blame them, lots of studios are doing that, tired of the pressures, the 4-year commitment to the same project and the fundrising that is a AAA development process. I'd say that there are low chances of ever seeing a Double Fine game in a physical store shelf again; the industry has changed, let's assume it. So, even if they announce some sequel to a bigger game, I think it will be downscaled to a smaller form :)

Sign in to follow this