Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shimrod

Double Fine Extravaganza next week!!!

Come on guys. Keep in mind this is a Double Fine game! It's gonna be awesome no matter what it is.

The Kinect minigame collection looks kind of meh to me. I might try this game when I get the chance (at a friend's house or whatever). I probably wouldn't play this a lot, but it seems like a pretty good game that the family can enjoy. Again, people should give this game a chance when it comes out before they start to complain about it.

There are such things as a crappy moment in a company's life. Really my concern is how generic that trailer looked, it doesn't have the doublefine charm that we love so much.

Edit: I like to complain about my games before they come out.

There are such things as a crappy moment in a company's life. Really my concern is how generic that trailer looked, it doesn't have the doublefine charm that we love so much.

Well, if the game flops, it will be their first bad game. If not, well, it's not. Not saying every game is going to be amazing because it's made by DF, just bringing up the point that if there's a game that's coming out, they shouldn't judge way too early unless it looks absolutely sucky. Oh, not sure, but I think he's still working on that game.

Well, if the game flops, it will be their first bad game. If not, well, it's not. Not saying every game is going to be amazing because it's made by DF, just bringing up the point that if there's a game that's coming out, they shouldn't judge way too early unless it looks absolutely sucky. Oh, not sure, but I think he's still working on that game.

If it flops its bad? What? So lots of sales = good game? That would mean you think Psychonauts is terrible.

If it flops its bad? What? So lots of sales = good game? That would mean you think Psychonauts is terrible.

No, no, no. I meant was if it doesn't get decent reviews or isn't liked by any players, then it's bad.

I also always thought 'flop' was just a term they used for things that went bad, not like "didn't sell a lot of whatever". Sorry if I got this all wrong.

Ok, just clarifying.

It's cool. I tend to mix up word meanings and such. No biggie. ^^

I hope other parts of the development team is working on something preeetty sweeet :)

Same here. We only have 3 more games to go! I hoping it's some sort of IP.

Have some one noticed the pattern?

Costume Quest PC announced 15th October.

DLC to Iron Brigade announced 17th October.

Happy Action Theatre announced 19th October.

?? will be announced 21st October?

Never noticed this till now. This makes plenty of sense to me. If this pattern keeps going, we should have the last annoucement around the 25th of October.

I think it's great that they are making games for kids. Because, you know, there are not enough games for kids -- and honestly, if there are not good games for kids, how can we expect them to want to play games when they are older?

Well, I must say I never played children-specific games as a kid and I kept on playing until today.

-

About the game itself, I must say that my problem is not only because it's a children game (that never hurt me from Once Upon a Monster), but because it seems like a super generic collection of minigames, and because it feels like a sub-product to glorify Kinect that any studio could have done.

Today's the 19th - HAT was announced yesterday. So I assumed that we'd get an announcement every weekday this week, which would make 6 on Friday. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe there aren't even 6 announcements like some have said.

And hey, for those of you who aren't too excited about the Action Theatre, at least it has an awesome acronym, right?

EDIT: Check out this Kotaku post. Sounds like HAT was the last announcement from the press event.

Today's the 19th - HAT was announced yesterday.

Aaw, damn it ;)

EDIT: Check out this Kotaku post. Sounds like HAT was the last announcement from the press event.

I hope they're wrong. They even write "In addition to announcing Costume Quest on Steam and some new (and fun-sounding) Iron Brigade DLC, they also announced a new game: Happy Action Theater, a minigame collection for the Xbox Kinect."

That's far from 6 products :(

Hi guys!

I just wanted to step in here and clarify some stuff.

Our invite to the press event said we'd be showing six amazing things, and multiple new announcements. Not six new announcements. Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Double Fine has so many irons in the fire right now, it feels like we're announcing or shipping a game or dlc pack every other week. Sometimes two in one week! Which is great, but we get behind in our news sometimes. So to catch up with our friends in the press we wanted to show a collection of what we've released recently and what we were about to announce. Six things, total: Three "old" (by a week or so), and three new.

The three things that we had just released were:

1. Psychonauts Mac

2. Psychonauts Vault Viewer

3. Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster

The three brand new things we announced were:

4. Costume Quest PC

5. Iron Brigade: Rise of the Martian Bear

6. Double Fine Happy Action Theater

Those are the six amazing things!

Not Psychonauts 2. We are not currently working on Psychonauts 2. Let me tell you, we would LOVE to work on Psychonauts 2, but games cost money and we, so far, have not been able to convince a publisher to invest millions of dollars in making a sequel to Psychonauts. Even though it would obviously be the greatest sequel of all time and sell much more than the first time and probably bring about peace on Earth for at least ten hours. We have not given up on the quest to return to Raz's world but it hasn't happened yet. You're welcome to keep asking for it but the people who are getting all riled up and angry about it need to c a l m t h e f d o w n because we are doing the best we can.

Also, not Brütal Legend 2, for the same reason.

Not Brütal Legend PC, because we'd have to re-negotiate and pay for 108 separate music licensing contracts to add the platform. Not impossible, but expensive. See previous discussion about money. (Actually 107, because I think I could get Kabbage Boy to do it for free. They're pretty desperate.)

So because we don't have a publisher who wants to fund Psychonauts 2 or Brütal Legend 2, should we just sit here and cry until we go out of business? No, we make up new ideas and sign the games we can can sign with the publishers who like us, and self-publish what we can afford to self-publish.

And luckily that works out because these new games are also awesome.

And if we ever get to a point where our press releases stop surprising, frustrating, or confounding even the people who love us, that's how you'll know when we've actually stopped trying. :)

Thanks for playing,

Tim

Not Psychonauts 2. We are not currently working on Psychonauts 2. Let me tell you, we would LOVE to work on Psychonauts 2, but games cost money and we, so far, have not been able to convince a publisher to invest millions of dollars in making a sequel to Psychonauts. Even though it would obviously be the greatest sequel of all time and sell much more than the first time and probably bring about peace on Earth for at least ten hours. We have not given up on the quest to return to Raz's world but it hasn't happened yet. You're welcome to keep asking for it but the people who are getting all riled up and angry about it need to c a l m t h e f d o w n because we are doing the best we can.

Oh thank you thank you, this makes me hopeful for the future. :)

Thanks for playing,

Tim

Ah thanks for the clarification Tim :) So glad to hear you are at least still hoping to make Psychonauts 2 in the future, whenever it becomes viable. Good luck with the new releases, I'm lining up the new PC Costume Quest for the weekend with my kids!

Tim thank you for the Costume Quest PC RELEASE! I played through the main game (will do DLC soon!) and it's just such a happy short pleasent game about nice things! This game makes me feel like I'm an 8 year old, and being an 8 year old WAS AWESOME.

Not Brütal Legend PC, because we’d have to re-negotiate and pay for 108 separate music licensing contracts to add the platform. Not impossible, but expensive. See previous discussion about money. (Actually 107, because I think I could get Kabbage Boy to do it for free. They’re pretty desperate.)

Well, that gave a glimpse of hope as a PC gamer, at least :)

No need for sequels of everything, Mr. Schafer (at least I personally don't want a "2" added to everything I like), just creative new IPs and awesome new titles. But they, er... well, have to actually be awesome. That's your trademark, right?

In any case, I'll pass the next one but I have hope for the future. Thanks for the response, Tim :)

1. Psychonauts Mac

4. Costume Quest PC

This make sense :)

Hi guys!

I just wanted to step in here and clarify some stuff.

Our invite to the press event said we'd be showing six amazing things, and multiple new announcements. Not six new announcements. Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Double Fine has so many irons in the fire right now, it feels like we're announcing or shipping a game or dlc pack every other week. Sometimes two in one week! Which is great, but we get behind in our news sometimes. So to catch up with our friends in the press we wanted to show a collection of what we've released recently and what we were about to announce. Six things, total: Three "old" (by a week or so), and three new.

1. Psychonauts Mac

4. Costume Quest PC

Also, not Brütal Legend 2, for the same reason.

Not Brütal Legend PC, because we'd have to re-negotiate and pay for 108 separate music licensing contracts to add the platform. Not impossible, but expensive. See previous discussion about money. (Actually 107, because I think I could get Kabbage Boy to do it for free. They're pretty desperate.)

So because we don't have a publisher who wants to fund Psychonauts 2 or Brütal Legend 2, should we just sit here and cry until we go out of business? No, we make up new ideas and sign the games we can can sign with the publishers who like us, and self-publish what we can afford to self-publish.

And luckily that works out because these new games are also awesome.

And if we ever get to a point where our press releases stop surprising, frustrating, or confounding even the people who love us, that's how you'll know when we've actually stopped trying. :)

Thanks for playing,

Tim

And what's about Ron's proooject? When will we hear details about it?

Hmmmm maybe start a Kickstarter profile for Psychonauts 2 :P

Also a HD version of the first on on XBLA and PSN would help a lot since Xbox users can no longer buy the Games on Demand version.

Hmmmm maybe start a Kickstarter profile for Psychonauts 2

That's actually a great idea. I would totally donate some money ! :D

EDIT: But I guess they need a huuuuge budget to make a sequel.

probably about $1m or so but thats still possible to achieve as long as

1. They get enough video game sites to cover it

2. The donation prizes are good, so things like Psychonauts Concept art, name in the credits or stuff like that.

probably about $1m or so but thats still possible to achieve as long as

1. They get enough video game sites to cover it

2. The donation prizes are good, so things like Psychonauts Concept art, name in the credits or stuff like that.

A major video game for PS3/Xbox360 costs about $15 to $30 million to make. I don't think a Kickstarter would be of much help.

^

Yeah, the cost of making a game like Psychonauts 2 with modern production values is way underestimated. Besides the actual cost of production solely for the game, you got to pay voice actors, and bring advertising into the picture. I'm not sure if Psychonauts would cost as much as $15 million, but it's expensive enough to make kickstarter seem like a joke of some kind unless they use kick starter as a form of pledge to buy the game to pitch the game. One million individual dollars would say consumers are interested in a sequel.

A major video game for PS3/Xbox360 costs about $15 to $30 million to make. I don't think a Kickstarter would be of much help.

I am mostly just spit balling ideas here to be honest. I just want to see Psychonauts 2 in my life time lol

every one buy 100 lottery tickets any type and combined might be enough money to make Psychonauts 2

Sign in to follow this