• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

Hello all! Did you hear? Costume Quest is available on Steam! You should grab it. And should you have any problems with it, let us know here so that we can fix it. We just want you to be happy, okay?!

UPDATE:

We posted a new patch today. Steam will automatically update Costume Quest the next time you play the game. If you have problems running the game, such as a black screen at startup, try forcing the app to run in windowed mode.

To do that in Steam, open your Steam library, right-click on Costume Quest, select Properties, and press the “Set Launch Options…” button. Now enter –window and click OK. The game will now launch and stay in windowed mode.

Not really a problem per say but really some suggestions:

1. For a title like this you probably should put out a demo on PC. A demo on PC actually matters more than consoles, people like to see how games run on their systems!

2. Make a forum on the steam forum and have the storepage/gamepage link there. When people have problems with a steam game they want to talk on the steam forum, where like 98% discuss their steam purchases. Having to make another login just to talk about costume quest would probably be enough to stop most people from doing it.

Hello Double Fine support,

I just purchased and installed the game from Steam as soon as I heard about the PC release. Yay!

I'm having a crash-on-startup bug. Boo!

Well, not _exactly_ a crash on startup, since the game loop appears to be running fine.

The game appears to launch fine, changes the resolution, displays the Dragogen and Double Fine logos perfectly, then the music starts. The screen stays black at this point, though the Steam overlay prompt (in the bottom right) disappears in an odd way, leaving its remnants behind, like the framebuffer isn't getting cleared to black between paintings. (Screenshot attached, using Steam's screenshot feature)

At this point I can't see anything or leave the game normally, so I hit ALT F4 to quit.

I've rebooted as a general troubleshooting step, and disabled my second monitor to no avail.

My system specs are:

i7 2600k

Biostar TZ68A+

Radeon 5770 1GB, Catalyst 11.9

Windows 7 64bit SP1

A DxDiag is attached.

I see there are several likely memory dump files in the Costume Quest directory, so I'm attaching those as well.

Let me know what else you'd like me to try, or if there are any other logs I can grab.

Thank you!

EDIT: forum eats my upload, eh? grab from dropbox instead: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10320918/costume_quest.zip

I have the exact same problem, please help!

i5 2.30 GHZ

8gb RAM

Windows 7 64 Bit SP1

Radeon 6490m

The game starts perfectly until it gets to the opening cutscene. Everything seems like it's transparent. But this doesn't happen just in cutscenes, it also happens in-game as well. I have a few screen shots of the cutscenes: http://steamcommunity.com/id/KermitTheBatman/screenshots/?tab=public&showdate=1&filter=app_115100

My specs are: Intel i7 930

ATI 6850

6GB RAM

Windows 7 64 bit

I hope to see this get fixed.

Thank you.

My copy of Costume Quest on steam will not run. It simply gets to the very first Steam screen to open the game and does nothing. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall the game but nothing is helping.

I cannot even get the game to fully load. It never gets past the "Opening Game" screen for steam.

When I talk to Sadie at Sadie's Stamp Shop, after the initial conversation Costume Quest crashes with a Callstack error after Sadie says to look at the menu of tonight's specials.

My PC specs are:

1.80 AMD Athlon

2GB RAM

nvidia geforce 6150se

Windows 7 64-bit

My game loads up, gets to the doublefine logo, then pops me out to desktop with a tiny window that just says "callstack"

i7 2600k

16GB RAM

Radeon 5870

Windows 7 64bit

I have the exact same issue as Kermit does.

The game seems playable with the exception that I can see through everyone's heads and some things appear to be missing.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T 3.3GHz

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Windows 7 64bit

I can't get the game to start at all. I downloaded through steam, and when I try to open it, it gives me the message "Disk cannot be read" (what disk?). When I try to close it, it simply reopens. The game itself just freezes.

Anyone else have this issue?

I've get the same issue as Kermit as well :( Running the Rage ATI drivers, so not sure if that has anything to do with the issue

I have the same problem as Zsouthboy. Then, when I alt-tab, then reopen it a blank error message appears with the title "Call Stack"

Hello!

Same as Hevyd here,

My game loads up, gets to the doublefine logo, then pops me out to desktop with a tiny window that just says "callstack"

My display driver has been updated, directx and VB C++ that come with the game have been installed, game downloaded by steam many times, no change. Everything worked on our other laptop at first install. I tried to read the mdmp files created at each crash but can't see anything special. The window "callstack" is empty. Any idea please?

hardware:

Sony Vaio VGN-NW21EF

ATI radeon HD 4570

4 GB RAM

pentium dual core T4300

Windows 7 64bit

I'm also having the same Callstack Error, for the past two days I bought this game and cannot play it. =/ I wish Double fine would care to reply back to this.

I am not having any of the problems listed above, the game works flawlessly for me except when i save, close the game and open it again my saved data is no longer there. I played for a long time yesterday and now all that is gone :( The game is fun, but it's going to feel like a chore to do all that over again.

system specs are

AMD Phenom II 965

8GB DDR3

OCZ SSD 120GB

GTX 570

Hey guys, thanks for the information on the "call stack" bug! We're looking into it now. If anyone has different steps to reproduce, let us know. @VHuntrD: What are your PC specs?

Just another to say I have the "Callstack" bug also. After launching CQ I see the Dracogen and Double Fine logo screens, then the screen goes black and stays that way (though I do hear the music playing). Have to alt-tab out to desktop to kill CQ, and after I close it I get the empty error window that says "Callstack" at the top.

FWIW, here are my system specs:

Intel i5-2500K CPU 3.3 GHz (slight overclock; P67 chipset mobo)

8 GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card (running latest drivers from AMD.com as of yesterday)

SeaSonic power supply 520W

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

'DXDIAG' says I have DirectX 11, and am using ATI video driver version 8.892.0.0

I'd be glad to give any other system info that might help, just ask.

ADDENDUM: Just to be able to play CQ, I installed Steam client and installed CQ on my second computer, which is a Home Theater PC. Completely different specs (hardware about 3 years old):

Athlon64 X2 4800+ CPU

4 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2650

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Exact same result as my primary PC. Black screen and "Callstack" error. Pretty different hardware between my two machines, though both do have Radeon HD vid card.

I've tried changing to an array of resolutions and color depths to see if it works with some combination, but it does not seem to be resolution-dependent on my two systems, as best I can tell. Callstack error 100% of the time. I have a year-old (or so) laptop as well, I might try installing on that just to see if it's different.

FWIW, I like the music. LOL. ;)

ADDENDUM II: Exact same behavior on my laptop. Three computers, none that will play CQ.

Laptop specs, FWIW:

Intel Celeron 900 CPU 2.2 GHz

4 GB RAM

Mobile Intel 4 Series chipset graphics

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Hope you guys can get this sorted. Kinda bummed. :-/

@Gabe M I also have the Call Stack bug intermittently on my primary system. The best way to reproduce it is to just launch the game. On my primary system if it doesn't hang that way, then I can occasionally get it to hang by switching resolutions.

i7-920

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Radeon 6970 With 11.10 preview2 drivers.

I have it 100% of the time on my wife's laptop which is an

i5 something..

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia Quadro NVS3100M and 280.26 drivers

both systems are Win7-64bit.

Same issue as everyone else - blank callstack error box.

System Specs:

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9800

Primary hard disk 251GB Free (298GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Motherboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model GA-MA78LMT-S2

Graphics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Total available graphics memory 2814 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1790 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.8026

Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080

DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter

Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Too fix call stack, just open task manager and end the process CQ.exe. Then launch the game.

Any news on the bug that's occurring for me and many others?

Kermit,

Closing CQ.exe just closes out of Costume Quest with the exact same Call Stack issue occuring the next time I try to open it.

The game works fine on my upstairs computer with the following specs:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6850 x 2 (Crossfire)

Gaming graphics 7805 MB

Primary hard disk 270GB Free (458GB Total)

Windows 7 Home Premium

System

ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3+ AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Total amount of system memory 12.0 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1389 GB

Disk partition (C:) 270 GB Free (458 GB Total)

Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6850 x 2 (Crossfire)

Total available graphics memory 7805 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 5757 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.892.0.0

Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080

Secondary monitor resolution 1600x900

DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

is there any way to get the game to run in a window?

Yes. Pressing Alt+Enter will switch between full screen and windowed mode.

This issue relates to the one Kermit, Leo99999, and I have.

This is the third level pretty much...

Spoiler Alert

(If you can even see whats going on there LOL. xD)

I pretty much gave up playing the game at this point.

Just going to wait for the fix. (I'm missing out on too much.)

Regarding the problem Lum, Kermit & Leo are having, I think I've found the problem:

My game was working perfectly, but as an experiment I went into Catalyst Control Center and forced Antialiasing, Anisotropic filtering and Adaptive Antialiasing on. Then I started Costume Quest and started a game.

Suddenly I was having the same problems you got screenshots of: transparent objects, people with their faces inside-out and so on.

So I closed the game, set them all back the way the were, and started the game again, and it worked fine.

[del]So go into CCC, go to the Gaming tab, and make sure to check the boxes marked "Use application settings" for both anti-aliasing and aniso. For good measure, also uncheck the box that enables Adaptive Anti-aliasing.[/del]

[del]If that works for you, feel free to go back and change settings one at a time to see if you can get any of those working without breaking the game. I haven't bothered testing them individually.[/del]

Edit: Okay, I went in and tested one at a time. Apparently forcing Anti-aliasing is what does it. Open CCC, go to the Gaming tab, and make sure the box marked "Use application settings" is checked next to SMOOTHVISION HD: Anti-Aliasing. Apparently you can leave anisotropic filtering and adaptive anti-alising enabled if you want. Still, I generally recommend that both anti-aliasing and aniso be application controlled, unless absolutely necessary.

For the record, here's the system I did the testing on:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Asus P5Q-Pro motherboard

4GB (DDR2) RAM

e6600 CPU

Radeon HD 4850

ATI driver Version 8.881.0.0 (from 9/1/2011)

Creative SB X-Fi something-or-other (Creative gives their cards stupid names, sorry. I think it's an XtremeGamer and I don't want to have to dig up the box or open the computer up to find out.)

--all running at 1920x1080.

Yes, my video drivers are a month and a half out of date.

As for the call stack errors everyone else is this thread seems to be getting, I can't help but notice that you all have very different hardware setups. Unless you're all running, say, the same sound cards (like one of the ubiquitous onboard Realtek chips or something), I'm betting this is going to be caused by a software conflict of some sort...

Regarding the problem Lum, Kermit & Leo are having, I think I've found the problem:

My game was working perfectly, but as an experiment I went into Catalyst Control Center and forced Antialiasing, Anisotropic filtering and Adaptive Antialiasing on. Then I started Costume Quest and started a game.

Suddenly I was having the same problems you got screenshots of: transparent objects, people with their faces inside-out and so on.

So I closed the game, set them all back the way the were, and started the game again, and it worked fine.

So go into CCC, go to the Gaming tab, and make sure to check the boxes marked "Use application settings" for both antialiasing and aniso. For good measure, also uncheck the box that enables Adaptive Antialiasing.

If that works for you, feel free to go back and change settings one at a time to see if you can get any of those working without breaking the game. I haven't bothered testing them individually.

For the record, here's the system I did the testing on:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Asus P5Q-Pro motherboard

4GB (DDR2) RAM

e6600 CPU

Radeon HD 4850

ATI driver Version 8.881.0.0 (from 9/1/2011)

Creative SB X-Fi something-or-other (Creative gives their cards stupid names, sorry. I think it's an XtremeGamer and I don't want to have to dig up the box or open the computer up to find out.)

--all running at 1920x1080.

Yes, my video drivers are a month and a half out of date.

As for the call stack errors everyone else is this thread seems to be getting, I can't help but notice that you all have very different hardware setups. Unless you're all running, say, the same sound cards (like one of the ubiquitous onboard Realtek chips or something), I'm betting this is going to be caused by a software conflict of some sort...

I can confirm this worked.

Thank-you.

I can confirm this worked.

Thank-you.

Glad to hear it.

Also, you may want to skim the edit I just made: this problem's specifically caused by forcing Anti-aliasing.

@Snufkin

Thanks heaps, the problem's fixed now. Shame I can't use AA, but much better than the alternative :)

Hey guys, thanks for the information on the "call stack" bug! We're looking into it now. If anyone has different steps to reproduce, let us know. @VHuntrD: What are your PC specs?

My system uses:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 980 3.71 GHz

Ram: 16GB DDR3

System: Windows 64 Professional

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 6990

Thank you.