• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

Also I wouldn't say it's a bug, but Costume Quest doesn't have an icon when I look at it in 'Detail View' which is rather annoying.

We can confirm that Snufkin is correct regarding the transparency issues. If you are experiencing those, you likely have anti-aliasing overrides checked in your card's Control Panel. Uncheck those overrides to fix it. We are still looking into the callstack bug. Thanks for the help, Snufkin!

Hello everyone! There is a new patch up for Costume Quest on Steam. This fixes a few of the crash issues we've had reported, but we're still working on others.

This patch adds some extra info to the crash dumps we see. If you've had trouble running the game, it would be very helpful if you could run the game again with the latest patch. If it's still crashing, then we'll be getting more information to diagnose the issues.

Thanks!

Are we supposed to be able to access the developer's console (or debug console) and have access to the developer features?

At the moment, the Steam client can easily access it if the player knows how to turn it on.

I haven't posted anything yet on how to work with the debug console yet, how to enable things like skipping the game's intro, how to skip the doublefine/dragcogen intros, etc. because I'm not sure if its an oversight.

I downloaded the patch, even tried redownloading, but still get the "Disk cannot be read" error.

Another bit of information I just thought of. My steam (and thus all games for it), install on a secondary hard disk drive (my main drive being way too small). I've had older games come up with odd issues like this when not installed on a main drive.

This probably has nothing to do with it, but you never know.

Just FYI - if you map any controls to numpad, del, ins, pgup/dn, basically any non-alpha/numrow keys those keys will show up as blank spaces in the QTE's rendering the game unplayable unless you remap to alphanum keys. Not a showstopper by any means, but still a nuisance to anyone who has been using the numpad for a decade or more.

Dallen: No, we didn't intend to expose the debug menu.

VHuntrD: We're gathering information about the "disk cannot be read" error. It is very interesting that you have Steam installed on a secondary drive. We have tested the game on different drives, but we'll scrutinize that code path.

rbtroj: We'll take a look at the non-alphanum key support. Sounds like the key binding works, but you don't see them in the QTE rendering?

Thank you everyone!

Tried it with the patch.

Still does not work.

Black screen for about 12 seconds, then two titles screens, then a black screen where I can hear the theme music and keystrokes elicit a noise I assume is a menu selection, but that is all.

Just for clarity, Steam should automatically download and apply the update for us, yes? I ask because when there is an update for a game in my Steam library I usually visibly see the download activity on the Steam icon in the system tray, but I have not seen any for CQ, nor is there anything listed in the Update History for CQ on its Steam page.

Regardless, I just removed the local install of CQ from within Steam and re-downloaded it. Still does not work for me. I did not see the Callstack error window appear this time when I killed the process, but otherwise the behavior is unchanged. Launch CQ, then two logo screens, then screen goes black indefinitely until I alt-tab out and kill it. Still hear the music playing and as another poster mentioned I do hear audible cues for my keystrokes, so I think the game is "running", just not visibly on the screen.

rbtroj: We'll take a look at the non-alphanum key support. Sounds like the key binding works, but you don't see them in the QTE rendering?

Correct - the bound keys perform the desired action, but do not appear in the QTE text. During battles you just see "Press now" Or, my favorite: "Press and hold then press , , , or to choose a character ..." (or something like that).

Thanks!

I did not see the Callstack error window appear this time when I killed the process, but otherwise the behavior is unchanged. Launch CQ, then two logo screens, then screen goes black indefinitely until I alt-tab out and kill it. Still hear the music playing and as another poster mentioned I do hear audible cues for my keystrokes, so I think the game is "running", just not visibly on the screen.

I'm having the exact same issue.

I did not see the Callstack error window appear this time when I killed the process, but otherwise the behavior is unchanged. Launch CQ, then two logo screens, then screen goes black indefinitely until I alt-tab out and kill it. Still hear the music playing and as another poster mentioned I do hear audible cues for my keystrokes, so I think the game is "running", just not visibly on the screen.

For those of you with this issue, could you try pressing ALT-ENTER when you get to the black screen? Alt-enter toggles between fullscreen (the default) and windowed mode. We haven't seen this issue yet here, but it sounds like the game's default video mode (which is 1280x720 fullscreen) is unsupported on your machine.

It would be very helpful if you could try that and let us know what happens-- thanks!

I'm also getting nothing but a black screen with sound after the splash screens. I tried alt enter at the black screen and I'm switched from full screen to windowed mode but the black screen persists. I'll post my general system specs below, if there is any other information that might help I'd be happy to post it ie.video card settings etc.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor

4 gigs ram

GeForce GTX 460 with 280.26 drivers

Realtek Audio

Vista home Premium 64 bit

Edit: in NVidia Control Panel 3D Settings I checked "Let The 3D Application Decide Settings". I still get a black screen but now it's in a large flashing Costume Quest window. Also in all cases the "Access Steam Community While Playing" shaking in the bottom corner.

Also tried changing my resolution to 1280x720 before starting the game with no effect.

OK, A few things here.

The ALT+ENTER does not change anything.

However, I tried combinations of the up/down arrow and then enter key. At one point I got to a Steam Achieve page which I could from, meaning return to the same black screen.

I also got the game to actually play twice. One time it started in a family home and I could pick between I suppose a brother sister in similar dress. A different time (I kept restarting to find patterns) I began in a snowy area with a girl who disapears and then I could choose between two boys in different costumes (knight and space guy?).

Each mode ran fine with ALT+ENTER or full screen.

After Exiting the program and closing Steam I could not restart the game without rebooting the computer without getting the call stack error, which would come up without starting the game at all.

While playing I tried to hit ESC to move to a game screen for controls, etc, and it froze play, I still had sound. I tried the upd/down arrow trick and could only exit the game blindly.

Note,

I tried these combinations once I came up to the full black screen with audio after the title screens.

OK,

These screens are really difficult to get to as well.

The arrow keys seem to make double jump noises every time I press them.

Enter does not always work. Down arrow has started the game once instead of enter.

Most of the time I end up crashing the game.

After I finally got the game started again in what seemed like the main story mode the arrow keys stopped working for me for directional movement after a minute or so.

About 30 tries, see no pattern, I don't know if there is some weird mapping error combined with this.

Giving up this angle, cannot get the game to start again.

If I ALT+ENTER after the screen goes black, it just opens a window that is entirely black. Music still plays, keystrokes still produce audible sounds, but still can't see anything. It's just windowed blackness instead of fullscreen blackness.

A couple days ago I tried setting my display resolution to a bunch of different resolutions before launching the game, but nothing changed the outcome. My default resolution is 1920x1080, if that matters.

Installed Catalyst Control Center and tried various combinations of Anti-aliasing on/off, Anisotropic filtering on/off, Adaptive Anti-Aliasing on/off, etc. Basically toggled every feature I could find on/off to see if there was a magic key that made it work. Even downloaded the specific driver for my monitor. Nothing thus far has changed the outcome.

I'm experiencing a large drop in FPS, what is recommended to fix it? It gets to the point that cut-scenes and knocking on doors cause 1 fps/sec. Another thing I have had trouble with is the battle screen which also experienced low fps, black screens and constant graphical tear's, though it was fixed by alt+enter.

My specs;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

3.24 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP 32 bit

I've already installed Catalyst though it isn't the latest version, the latest caused my graphic card to fail, along with Directx3D.

Also having the "Call Stack" bug: Game starts, see the two logo screens, game drops to window with a dialog named "Call Stack" and no message, program closes when dialog is closed. No steps to reproduce other than to open the game. Notably, most people posting with this problem seem to be running Win7 64-bit, as am I.

Fortunately(!) I was able to get Costume Quest running by going into Windows compatibility and selecting "Compatibility mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Now when I start CQ it asks me to confirm some security permissions, and runs just fine!

Also having the "Call Stack" bug: Game starts, see the two logo screens, game drops to window with a dialog named "Call Stack" and no message, program closes when dialog is closed. No steps to reproduce other than to open the game. Notably, most people posting with this problem seem to be running Win7 64-bit, as am I.

Mostly, although I tried CQ on my Vista 32-bit PC, and it has the exact same problem. So that's not the entirety of it. :/

Fortunately(!) I was able to get Costume Quest running by going into Windows compatibility and selecting "Compatibility mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Now when I start CQ it asks me to confirm some security permissions, and runs just fine!

Unfortunately you need Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional for XP Compatibility mode, so that doesn't help those of us on Win7 Home Premium (which is probably the majority). Perhaps that gives some insight to the devs as to what's actually happening though. Still a good find!

Unfortunately you need Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional for XP Compatibility mode, so that doesn't help those of us on Win7 Home Premium (which is probably the majority). Perhaps that gives some insight to the devs as to what's actually happening though. Still a good find!

While you need Pro or Ultimate for "XP Mode", which is a separate emulated version of Windows XP, you can run "XP Compatibility Mode" just fine in Home Premium. You'll need to find Costume Quest's cq.exe file (usually in ..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\costume quest), right click it, click properties, click the Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", make sure it's set to Windows XP SP3 and click OK.

I'm using Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Opening CQ.exe with XP Service Pack 2 compatibility doesn't solve black screen issues for me.

Bought Costume Quest for my wife (although I plan on playing it sometime as well) and she's running into the "Can't see the title screen" bug that many people have gotten. Do we have any sort of ETA on when that might be fixed? Strongly considering asking Steam for a refund if it doesn't get fixed soon.

Her system specs are on the low side but higher than the minimum requirements - Windows 7, 4 GB RAM, dual-core @ 2.2GHz, and an Intel integrated video card. I was able to get the game to start once by messing around with the keyboard on the black screen, but that's a stop gap measure at best.

I noticed that Steam has me listed as playing the game for 13 hours so I'm thinking the processes didn't all shut down after I tried to get it to run.

While you need Pro or Ultimate for "XP Mode", which is a separate emulated version of Windows XP, you can run "XP Compatibility Mode" just fine in Home Premium. You'll need to find Costume Quest's cq.exe file (usually in ..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\costume quest), right click it, click properties, click the Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", make sure it's set to Windows XP SP3 and click OK.

This is exactly what I did to get mine working. I have the license for full XP Emulation, but I haven't installed it yet. It takes a whole XP-install's worth of disk space.

Just did some more tests, and it appears "Run as Administrator" is all I really need. XP compatibility mode must give you this for free.

Just did some more tests, and it appears "Run as Administrator" is all I really need. XP compatibility mode must give you this for free.

Sorry. Spoke too soon. "Run as Administrator" worked once, then gave me call stack errors again. Fortunately, "Compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3" is still working.

Edit: And now I can't it to run with any combination of settings. It seems to be intermittent for me. Failing most of the time, but succeeding around 1/10th of the time. Very strange.

I'm experiencing a large drop in FPS, what is recommended to fix it?

- The best way to control framerate is to adjust your resolution. Running Costume Quest in 640x480 will be much faster than at 1920x1080, for instance.

- There are graphics options that you can toggle in the advanced settings. In particular, turning off shadow mapping will give a nice framerate boost.

- The newest drivers for your graphics card should be used. We tested Costume Quest with the latest drivers from NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel (including the "Rage" drivers from AMD).

- In your graphics card's control panel, be sure to let the application set the graphics options. You can try to override the application and force the GPU to use antialiasing, filtering, etc., but it can cause rendering errors and performance drops.

- For those running on a laptop, try plugging the machine into the wall instead of running from the battery (or be sure that your power savings are set so that the GPU gets maximum performance even when running from the battery)

To keep you guys in the loop: We're working on a patch that will be released tomorrow. It looks like there are a few different reasons that the game is crashing for people, and we hope to fix all of them. We've been unable to reproduce the problem where the game is running but rendering only a black screen, but we're working on it.

For what it's worth, the game should be able to run on non-administrator accounts. Running in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode shouldn't be needed (in fact, most of us here run Windows 7 64-bit), but it does change the timing of the startup code.

Thanks for everyone's help here!

To keep you guys in the loop: We're working on a patch that will be released tomorrow. It looks like there are a few different reasons that the game is crashing for people, and we hope to fix all of them. We've been unable to reproduce the problem where the game is running but rendering only a black screen, but we're working on it.

For what it's worth, the game should be able to run on non-administrator accounts. Running in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode shouldn't be needed (in fact, most of us here run Windows 7 64-bit), but it does change the timing of the startup code.

Thanks for everyone's help here!

would it help to post the crash dumps at all?

would it help to post the crash dumps at all?

We get minidumps from Steam any time a game crashes, so we've been taking a look at those for post-mortem debugging.