• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

- The best way to control framerate is to adjust your resolution. Running Costume Quest in 640x480 will be much faster than at 1920x1080, for instance.

- There are graphics options that you can toggle in the advanced settings. In particular, turning off shadow mapping will give a nice framerate boost.

- The newest drivers for your graphics card should be used. We tested Costume Quest with the latest drivers from NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel (including the "Rage" drivers from AMD).

- In your graphics card's control panel, be sure to let the application set the graphics options. You can try to override the application and force the GPU to use antialiasing, filtering, etc., but it can cause rendering errors and performance drops.

- For those running on a laptop, try plugging the machine into the wall instead of running from the battery (or be sure that your power savings are set so that the GPU gets maximum performance even when running from the battery)

Well so far I have lowered resolution to 800*600 and lower, as well as disabling all advanced options without any effect on the low FPS. I also looked into updating my card, but the latest update causes my card to stop working and then I can't even open the game as it crashes the second it is opened. Is there something you need to do before updating, such as uninstalling previous patches, or is my graphics card broken?

Another side effect of the patch is that occasionally the screen disappears to become garbled as if the card just broke. Sorry I can't describe it further.

I also looked into updating my card, but the latest update causes my card to stop working and then I can't even open the game as it crashes the second it is opened.

The ATI graphics card you spec'd earlier should easily run Costume Quest at high resolutions. If the latest ATI drivers are causing your card to stop working, I'd suggest taking a look at that problem first.

To keep you guys in the loop: We're working on a patch that will be released tomorrow. It looks like there are a few different reasons that the game is crashing for people, and we hope to fix all of them. We've been unable to reproduce the problem where the game is running but rendering only a black screen, but we're working on it.

For what it's worth, the game should be able to run on non-administrator accounts. Running in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode shouldn't be needed (in fact, most of us here run Windows 7 64-bit), but it does change the timing of the startup code.

Thanks for everyone's help here!

Hi,

today it changed for me: windows asked me to update C++ 2005 redistributable (now v8.0.61001, not written "x64" as the previous C++ 2005 is), now I can't see no more callstack window but after the DoubleFine logo when it usually shut down the screen goes and still black. No sound.

More about my specs : french Windows 7 x64, steam is installed on another diskpart, and the CQ icon on desktop is empty.

Have a good day,

hope you'll correct this problem soon... Now she has seen the screenshots my wife really wants to play her new game :-)

You'll need to find Costume Quest's cq.exe file (usually in ..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\costume quest), right click it, click properties, click the Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", make sure it's set to Windows XP SP3 and click OK.

Thanks, Snufkin! Did not know that. Even better, this appear to have fixed my black screen/Callstack issue! Launched the game 5 or 6 times since doing this - all have been successful thus far! Now I just have to get time to sit and play. :)

Hi,

today it changed for me: windows asked me to update C++ 2005 redistributable (now v8.0.61001, not written "x64" as the previous C++ 2005 is), now I can't see no more callstack window but after the DoubleFine logo when it usually shut down the screen goes and still black. No sound.

Correction: I have some sound during the black screen, and it goes windowed by itself after a few minutes but still black.

No change with the XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Costume Quest can run on integrated graphics cards?

Costume Quest does run on integrated graphics cards. For Intel GPUs, it's recommended to use a G45 or better. If you run on an older GPU and have framerate issues, you'll want to reduce the game's resolution, and try turning off graphics settings such as shadow mapping.

A new patch for Costume Quest is now live on Steam. It will automatically update unless you've specifically told Steam to not automatically update the game.

This fixes the Grubbins on Ice achievements, the numpad key rendering, and a few other minor issues. Also, we made changes to the initialization code which we hope will fix the problems people here have reported.

A new patch for Costume Quest is now live on Steam. It will automatically update unless you've specifically told Steam to not automatically update the game.

This fixes the Grubbins on Ice achievements, the numpad key rendering, and a few other minor issues. Also, we made changes to the initialization code which we hope will fix the problems people here have reported.

It's working great for me now, no black screen at all : D

Just tried the patch and I'm still getting the black screen problem, no change.

I'll list my system specs below, if there's any other information that might be helpful let me know and I'll be happy to post it.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor

4 gb ram

GeForce GTX 460 with 280.26 drivers

Realtek onboard audio

Vista home Premium 64 bit

Acer x213w monitor

Asus Benicia motherboard

I am still having a similar problem, except it no longer shows the "callstack" error, but it continues to blink rapidly on a black screen at the game menu. My settings for the update are on, and I've reinstalled the game many times now.

My computer Specs are

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz

2.29 GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870

Windows vista 64 bit Sp2

Downloaded the patch, but still get the "Disk cannot be read" error.

Although now the black screen goes to window mode rather than full screen so it's a little easier to exit when it acts up.

Also, we made changes to the initialization code which we hope will fix the problems people here have reported.

I've disabled my compatibility settings, and had four or five start-ups without any issues. Thanks!

Hello!

It still doesn't work here: black screen with the game playing behind, and it runs windowed since this afternoon (nothing written in the start option of steam, alt+enter does not change anything, It should come from the new initialization code).

Any idea please?

I was thinking about the graphic card of this laptop: the latest VAIO drivers for Radeon HD 4570 are installed (I can only use sony drivers, AMD/ATI drivers are refused), do you know if the problem could come from that?

Thanks for your help!

Julien.

Still having the black title menu bug. The patch did change it so that it starts in windowed mode for the company logos and then switches to full screen for the black screen.

The patches have not fixed this game for me. I posted my specs earlier in the thread - it works on one system and not the other, and it is a little frustrating to have paid money for a game that will not work at all.

Hey, folks. Glad that the latest patch fixed many of your issues. Apologies to those of you who are still not able to get the game to launch. David F. and I are actively looking into both the black screen bug and the "Disk Cannot Be Read" bug. Both bugs are proving hard to resolve as we cannot reproduce either one on our workstations, test machines, home laptops, etc.

We'll probably push another patch next week, but it'll likely be a diagnostic patch, one that gives us more information about why the game is falling over, but probably not one that will actually fix any issues. When that happens we'll post here.

For folks that are suffering from the black screen crash, we recommend making sure your gfx driver features are as "vanilla" as possible. Disable compatability mode stuff, MSAA and any other fancy override features you may have enabled as these may interfere with the game's renderer. Hopefully we'll find in-game ways to address or work around those issues, but of course we'd like everyone to be up and running as soon as possible.

For those still suffering from bugs, thank you again for all for your patience and support. For the rest of you, happy Costume Questing! :)

I am also experiencing the CallStack black screen issue.

BUT - when I first bought CQ through Steam on October 15th, it loaded and played fine. I completed the game on October 17th. I left it for a few days, then went back to play Grubbins on Ice...and I now could not get past the black screen error.

SO....it worked for me long enough to finish the game (about two days), then stopped working. I had been playing at my monitor's default resolution of 1920 x 1080 and fullscreen; however, now it tries to launch in windowed mode? Weird...

Things I've tried: I set the Steam Launch options for Costume Quest to start in fullscreen and at 1920 x 1080 [-full -w 1920] but the game still tries to start in a window, and (obviously) still get the black screen CallStack error. I've uninstalled my current 11.9 ATI drivers and tried the last three iterations (no luck), I've set my monitor to the Costume Quest default resolution with the same lack of results. I verified the cache, tried defragmenting, and lastly deleted the local content and re-downloaded the game from Steam.

My next step is to sacrifice candy corn to the pumpkin king in hopes of merciful respite.

My general Specs:

ATI Catalyst drivers 11.9 -

GPU ATI 4800 HD

Intel Core2Duo

Win7x64

4GB Ram

Great info, thanks. Sounds like one of the patches that fixed some other folks was not so fixy on your system. We'll investigate!

I'm noticing the same thing as Ducttape. It launches in windowed mode now, but I'm noticing that WHEN the game does work, it switches the resolution from 1280x720 to 1920x1080. It launches the game in windowed mode, goes through the logos up to the DoubleFine logo, then minimizes and loads up fullscreen the main menu of the game. When I get the callstack error, it's during the resolution switch.

Hey Everyone! I'm having trouble using my Xbox 360 PC controller with Costume Quest. I'm beginning to think the game is not controller enabled even though it is advertised as such on the steam store page. Anyone have any info or advice? Thanks!!

Hey Everyone! I'm having trouble using my Xbox 360 PC controller with Costume Quest. I'm beginning to think the game is not controller enabled even though it is advertised as such on the steam store page. Anyone have any info or advice? Thanks!!

My Xbox 360 controller works fine, and this is the first thing I've read about anyone having problems with non-functioning controller. You don't even need to 'enable' the 360 controller in Costume Quest, it just works; most in-game instructional tutorials are even accurately depicted for the 360, too.

You probably already know this, but never hurts to re-cover the bases: Have you used the controller with other games and it worked? Did you plug in your controller before starting Costume Quest? Is the green 'Player 1' light on the controller lit? Is it a wired USB controller or are you using the wireless 360 controller? Generally, the USB controller is plugNplay, but the wireless controller needs drivers.

Here's my Input Config file: Input.lua. You can try replacing your input.lua file with this one (it's setup for Xbox 360 controller).

Go into: Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > costume quest > Data > Config

Copy the existing input.lua file to another location, and replace it with the file you downloaded from the link. It may or may not help, you're welcome to try.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully something as simple as re-starting your game will resolve it.

Are you guys still working on this call stack error? I just bought your game and still have the same issue... even though I read it was basically fixed. Halloween is almost here... basically looking at wanting a refund soon.

I have a NVIDIA Geforce GT 230M

Hi again hardworking Double Fine support:

Glad to see others' problem(s) have improved; however, I'm still experiencing the issue described in my first post.

You are welcome to coordinate a date/time to take a look at this directly on my machine (since you aren't having luck reproducing it in the lab), it happens every single time.

Since the patch(es), I now get a window with the two logos, then a fullscreen black screen with music, with the buffer overwriting issue I took a screenshot of.

Every single setting in Catalyst Control Center is set to defaults, no weird AA or AF settings are forced.

Hitting alt-enter to go back into windowed mode continues to display a black window that is still interactable (I can hear the menu when I click things).

Please advise.

Thank you!

My Xbox 360 controller works fine, and this is the first thing I've read about anyone having problems with non-functioning controller. You don't even need to 'enable' the 360 controller in Costume Quest, it just works; most in-game instructional tutorials are even accurately depicted for the 360, too.

You probably already know this, but never hurts to re-cover the bases: Have you used the controller with other games and it worked? Did you plug in your controller before starting Costume Quest? Is the green 'Player 1' light on the controller lit? Is it a wired USB controller or are you using the wireless 360 controller? Generally, the USB controller is plugNplay, but the wireless controller needs drivers.

Here's my Input Config file: Input.lua. You can try replacing your input.lua file with this one (it's setup for Xbox 360 controller).

Go into: Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > costume quest > Data > Config

Copy the existing input.lua file to another location, and replace it with the file you downloaded from the link. It may or may not help, you're welcome to try.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully something as simple as re-starting your game will resolve it.

It seems to be working now: I unplugged my wireless receiver and searched for the latest driver. I noticed I already had the latest driver and plugged it back in. It seems like the unplugging and plugging worked. The other weird thing I have noticed is if I start playing the game then turn on my controller (by hitting the xbox home button) after the start, the controller doesn't work. I have to already have it on before the games starts. Windows does many strange things but I am all up and running now. Time to enjoy some Costume Quest thank you for the reply/help.

I'm not sure if this has any weight to it, but I was having the black screen issues. All hope was lost until a patch would come out, so I decided to see if my audio drivers needed to be updated. They did, so I updated then and tried CQ again and it WORKED! So, who knows...

I have the same issues - where the intro screens work ok, but when the "Main Menu" should appear I get a black screen (with the wierd remains of the Steam Community Alt + Tab notification window trying to go away and failing).

The music plays - and it sounds cool btw - and nothing appears to happen.

If I press cursor_down there is a short >clack< sound, sort of like a click, but not quite.

If I press cursor_down and then press enter I get more >clack< sounds.

I have once managed to get the game launched in this "blind" way - and the graphical intro (where you control Mother's arm to pick boy or girl) worked great visually, but all of the "speaking" audio was just strings of >clacks< - not one single sound came out as anything other than a >clack<.

Eventually I got on to the game, and could walk around a street picking up candy.

So.... Is it an audio problem that's the cause?

Using Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

nVidia graphics card

on board sound

Tried updating my Realtek sound drivers, still getting black screen after splash screens.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor

4 gb ram

GeForce GTX 460 with 280.26 drivers

Realtek onboard audio with newest drivers

Vista home Premium 64 bit

Acer x213w monitor

Asus Benicia motherboard

I have the same issues - where the intro screens work ok, but when the "Main Menu" should appear I get a black screen (with the wierd remains of the Steam Community Alt + Tab notification window trying to go away and failing).

The music plays - and it sounds cool btw - and nothing appears to happen.

If I press cursor_down there is a short >clack< sound, sort of like a click, but not quite.

If I press cursor_down and then press enter I get more >clack< sounds.

I have once managed to get the game launched in this "blind" way - and the graphical intro (where you control Mother's arm to pick boy or girl) worked great visually, but all of the "speaking" audio was just strings of >clacks< - not one single sound came out as anything other than a >clack<.

Eventually I got on to the game, and could walk around a street picking up candy.

So.... Is it an audio problem that's the cause?

Using Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

nVidia graphics card

on board sound

My exact problem!