• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

Wow I just bought this game and was so excited looking at game play...

Now I can't even play it!!! WTH!

If some people are still getting this error in the next month I think you should refund us.

Brand new game that I can't even play.

Specs;

I5 M480 @ 2.67ghz

4GB Ram

64Bit win 7

Nvidia GeForce 315M

It's a laptop, not the best but it bloody runs everything else -.-

Same issue here with the black screen.. empty call stack Win32 MessageBox.

Interestingly enough, this is on a brand new install of Win7 Home Premium 32-bit done today. In fact after the install was complete (and all newest drivers installed) I went straight to Steam.. and downloaded Costume Quest... and ran into the issue. It played OK on my previous installation (same OS, same machine / hardware) earlier today which was well over a year old. Seems like a missing dependency to me.. something for Scaleform perhaps?

Specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 3.06Ghz

4gig RAM

NVidia GeForce GT130 512meg

Win7 Home Premium 32-bit

Thanks...

Still no update on this?

IF this doesn't get fixed can I have a refund, because i have no other system that will play it.

Tried 2 lappys and that's all I have -.-

Hey, Voxy. We're working on it, but we still do not have a fix for that issue. We'll get it resolved as fast as possible, and we have one idea for fixing it over the weekend, but it's a bit of a long shot.

Regarding refunds, purchases made through Steam can only be refunded by Valve. You can find more information in their billing policy FAQ (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-WEJC-2625).

Thanks for the heads up Nathan.

Disappointing that there's still no fix for this. Sounds like you are still not able to reproduce the issue considering that the potential fix is a longshot. Any assistance I can provide, let me know. I've tried several re-installs of Windows 7 / nVidia drivers.. and still can't get the game to work.. despite it working fine on the same machine before I reinstalled Windows.

Out of curiosity, are the screen resolution settings stored on the Steam Cloud as well as saved games?

I launch the game and I get a black loading screen for about 5 seconds. The game runs in windowed mode. Then the two company logos appear and then the screen turns black. The screen stays black and in the bottom right corner the steam 'friends' account flickers and the music plays on a loop. If I press the up and down arrow keys I can hear it respond with button clicks. It stays running in windowed mode the as long as I keep it open.

Here is my set up.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit (6.1, Build 7600)

AMD Turion II Dual Core Mobile M500 ~2.2GHZ

4096MB RAM

DirectX 11

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60hz)

I tried changing my resolution. I tried different compatibility modes. I tried updating my drivers. I tried re-installing the game. I tried changing the video settings in ATI-CCC. I can't get anything to work. Any suggestions?

Hey, folks. We're working on a new patch right now. We'll release it sometime today. Our current theory is that the D3D device is getting lost as the game goes between the logo screens and the main game screen. David F will post more info in a bit, but the new patch will always launch in full screen, which will fix people for whom the game used to work but now it doesn't. For anyone that gets a black screen in the new patch, we'll also post instructions for how to launch the game in windowed (but still almost full screen) mode. That will hopefully get rid of all black screen issues while we narrow down the real cause of the black screen on some machines in full screen mode.

UPDATE:

We posted a new patch today. Steam will automatically update Costume Quest the next time you play the game. If you have problems running the game, such as a black screen at startup, try forcing the app to run in windowed mode.

To do that in Steam, open your Steam library, right-click on Costume Quest, select Properties, and press the “Set Launch Options…” button. Now enter –window and click OK. The game will now launch and stay in windowed mode.

A new patch for Costume Quest just went live. Steam will automatically update CQ the next time you play the game.

We hope this fixes the game for people that are still having problems. If you still have the blank, black screen after this patch, you'll want to try forcing windowed mode, which is something we just patched in.

To run windowed: Open your Steam library. Right-click on Costume Quest, select Properties, then click "Set Launch Options...". In the dialog that pops up, type:

-window

UPDATE:

We posted a new patch today. Steam will automatically update Costume Quest the next time you play the game. If you have problems running the game, such as a black screen at startup, try forcing the app to run in windowed mode.

To do that in Steam, open your Steam library, right-click on Costume Quest, select Properties, and press the “Set Launch Options…” button. Now enter –window and click OK. The game will now launch and stay in windowed mode.

Everything works okie dokie lokie! Thanks for all the hard work - now to collect some candy!

Wish I were as lucky.. still getting the same black screen / callstack message. I thought the game might not have updated, but I deleted it and redownloaded. Same issue. Tried the -window trick, no dice.

Still not working. It keeps doing the same thing as before. 2 Logos then Black Screen with music playing. (EDIT: When exiting the game I get the call stack error.) Is there anything you else you can recommend?

I'm also still having the black screen problem. The two company logos appear full screen (they only appeared in windowed mode before the update) then the audio of what I assume is the title screen, but it only shows a black screen. I'm using nVIDIA GeForce integrated graphics on Windows 7 64-bit. The "callstack" error usually appears after exiting the program. Setting the launch options to run in windowed mode made no difference. I'm excited to play this game, but looks like I'll have to wait a little longer.

After installing the latest patch I'm still having the black screen problem, even when forcing the game to run in a window.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor

4 gb ram

GeForce GTX 460 with 280.26 drivers

Realtek onboard audio

Vista home Premium 64 bit

Acer x213w monitor

Asus Benicia motherboard

DF - Is there a switch to enable logging for the game in order to debug what's going on?.. I'm assuming you have logging in the code, yes?

I'm still getting the "Disk cannot be read" error with this new patch.

I really enjoyed the little bit I was able to play on my laptop. It's not made for gaming though (game runs very slow); I really, really wanna play it on my main system.

UPDATE:

Hi there,

I still have a black screen after the 2 logos, only the full screen launch is different.

In windowed mode with the start option it is exactly the same as before, with the callstack error when i quit.

Hope you'll find an answer to this problem soon.

Julien.

Same here still getting the black screen. Seems like I'm never going to get to play this game -.-

Also my client runs the logo screens in full screen now but the game opens in windowed.

I've not changed any settings for it to do this...

Is this something you implemented into the patch?

Or just my game having a spasm?

I, too, still have the exact same issue, -window or not, latest patch included. Logos, then black screen with music. Just like my very first post in this thread.

My remote session offer remains open if someone would like to take a look on a system which definitely has the issue.

Update- After a lot of tinkering, I figured it out (at least in my case). Apparently my directx was outdated or corrupt. I downloaded the .exe from the web, and the game runs fine now. I'm kicking myself for not realizing that it was something so simple. In my defense, I don't have any problems with any other games :). Hope this helps somebody!

Thanks grrockman147!

I've been having the black screen problem. Downloaded "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" from Microsoft and ran it and everything seems to work fine now. I haven't played yet but I'm getting the menu and everything seems good.

Awesome. Just in time for Halloween.

BTW, I haven't had DirectX problems with any other games or apps either.

EDIT - I just played, the game works fine now.

Thanks grrockman147!

I've been having the black screen problem. Downloaded "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" from Microsoft and ran it and everything seems to work fine now. I haven't played yet but I'm getting the menu and everything seems good.

Awesome. Just in time for Halloween.

BTW, I haven't had DirectX problems with any other games or apps either.

EDIT - I just played, the game works fine now.

This worked for me as well. I'm just glad that I can actually play the game before Halloween now!

Thanks a ton grrockman147.. !.. that was truly the fix, and I'm now back up and running. Double Fine should hire you for their engineering group.

Seriously DF.. I'm as stoked as everyone else that you guys are now porting your games to the PC (a much more difficult platform to support than standardized consoles). I definitely appreciate all the hard work and am looking forward to more releases. But in the future, you should make sure that you get your DX dependencies squared away before release.. and make sure the proper redist is in the install package. It's pretty sad when members of the community (i.e. $$ paying members) ascertain what the fix is before you guys do.. when you have written the code yourselves and have full access to the source. I say this as a software engineer myself with 15 years experience.

Hopefully you'll cut a new release soon with the proper DX dependencies in the package. Else anyone who does a new Windows install off MSDN (like I did) will suffer the same problems.

Thanks and good luck with future releases!

Ok so now I can play the game but it gets stuck in windowed mode and I can't change the resolution. So it's laggy and the graphics are all blurry...

Why won't it let me change the resolution?

Can someone tell me how to sort this out -.-

Very glad that updating Direct X fixed that for so many of you! Many thanks for finding that and posting it grrockman!

jmsantos, point taken. You're right that we could have thought of that problem earlier. We'll look into updating the DirectX bindings for CQ in the very near future.

To everyone who has been having problems, thanks again for your patience, your input, and your help finding the problems behind these issues. For those folks who are still having problems running the game, we're still working to track down your problems and will fix things as soon as humanly possible!

To everyone who has been having problems, thanks again for your patience, your input, and your help finding the problems behind these issues. For those folks who are still having problems running the game, we're still working to track down your problems and will fix things as soon as humanly possible!

No idea why my screen resolution won't change?

I can't change it at all, please could you tell me how to fix this?

No idea why my screen resolution won't change?

I can't change it at all, please could you tell me how to fix this?

Alt-enter toggles between full screen and windowed mode. You can change the resolution in the graphics settings page. We don't support dynamically resizing the window, so if you want to change the window size, change the game's resolution and restart (or just switch to fullscreen mode and back to windowed mode).

When you run with -window, it will ignore whatever options you last set. However, you can then press alt-enter still works after the game's been started with -window.