Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

THANK YOU SO MUCH grrockman147!

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Worked like a charm! Running a brand new Windows 7 install, with the latest NVIDIA drivers. Didn't even think to install the latest DirectX.

Costume Quest started in Window Mode, but Alt-Enter worked like a charm just like everyone here said.

This is a wonderful gaming Halloween! Finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent this morning, and now for some Costume Quest into the evening. I'll be using some of the lines from the game on Trick or Treaters tonight, for sure!

Hello Double Fine support,

The game appears to launch fine, changes the resolution, displays the Dragogen and Double Fine logos perfectly, then the music starts. The screen stays black at this point, though the Steam overlay prompt (in the bottom right) disappears in an odd way, leaving its remnants behind, like the framebuffer isn't getting cleared to black between paintings.

I'm getting the same problem ): Downloaded the latest Direct X, Display drivers, sound drivers and BIOS update.. still not working ):! My system requirements are listed below, I have faith in you guys to fix it! Thankyou for reading this in advance :D

Toshiba Satellite Pro L650 PSK1KE

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel i5 CPU M 430

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

EDIT: Oh and window mode does the same, and when I close it a message comes up saying 'Callstack' or something similar.

We're uploading a patch to Steam right now which contains the correct DirectX redistributables. In the meantime, if you can't run the game, you can install the correct DirectX from here:

Also, be certain that the graphics card driver is not overriding the application's settings. In particular, for an ATI chipset, if you right-click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Center, then Gaming, then 3D Application Settings, make sure "Use Application Settings" is checked. I'd actually recommend clicking the "defaults" button on that page.

You can try to run the game in windowed mode by specifying "-window" in the game's launch options.

We're uploading a patch to Steam right now which contains the correct DirectX redistributables.

Also, be certain that the graphics card driver is not overriding the application's settings. In particular, for an ATI chipset, if you right-click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Center, then Gaming, then 3D Application Settings, make sure "Use Application Settings" is checked. I'd actually recommend clicking the "defaults" button on that page.

Both of those things worked and now I can play the game :D:D:D:D Thankyou so much! Gosh, I'm so super happy right now.

That works for me too, even if I already had updated DirectX from the beginning. But the essential is that now my wife is happy, so thank you ;-)

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if a solution was ever found for the call stack error because I downloaded the game in steam today and as soon as I press play I get a black window and the call stack error box. When I press enter it disappears. The computer I'm using is running windows XP.

Hello, beaupapillonbleu. All of the crashes that we know about have been fixed (as you can see from other posts here). However, we'll take a look at recent crash dumps from Steam and hopefully get back to you soon. As always, please make sure that you've downloaded all updates to the game and are running the most up to date video card drivers.

Hello, beaupapillonbleu. All of the crashes that we know about have been fixed (as you can see from other posts here). However, we'll take a look at recent crash dumps from Steam and hopefully get back to you soon. As always, please make sure that you've downloaded all updates to the game and are running the most up to date video card drivers.

I'm still getting the "Disk cannot be read" error.

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if a solution was ever found for the call stack error because I downloaded the game in steam today and as soon as I press play I get a black window and the call stack error box.

Hi Beaupapillonbleu,

Could you re-install the DirectX Runtime from Microsoft?

The latest Costume Quest patch includes that runtime in its installer, but any number of things can go wrong that would skip that installation. If you could manually install it from that link, I bet that you'll be up and running.

Hi Beaupapillonbleu,

Could you re-install the DirectX Runtime from Microsoft?

The latest Costume Quest patch includes that runtime in its installer, but any number of things can go wrong that would skip that installation. If you could manually install it from that link, I bet that you'll be up and running.

I've tried this and it's still getting Call Stack

Just bought this game and tried running through Windowed mode. Fullscreen does nothing and windowed ends up not responding and crashing.

Windows 7 64 bit

i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53 GHz

2.5 GHz CPU

4.5 Ram

video ram is 1.7 gb (Have Intel HD graphics coming up as the video card)

I am not having any of the problems listed above, the game works flawlessly for me except when i save, close the game and open it again my saved data is no longer there. I played for a long time yesterday and now all that is gone :( The game is fun, but it's going to feel like a chore to do all that over again.

system specs are

AMD Phenom II 965

8GB DDR3

OCZ SSD 120GB

GTX 570

The last update that just went out seems to have fixed the issue

Hooray! The last update was actually just some little achievement stuff, so I suspect it was actually the patch previous that fixed it but somehow that didn't take on your system.

I purchased this today on Steam and I am unable to install the game. The Microsoft VC redist file causes an error and a small CallStack window pops up. I have tried running the game in windowed mode, ending the cq.exe process, as well as running the dxwebsetup.exe from Microsoft. I am unsure as to how to proceed at this point. Please help.

Hi, Savant. That's very strange indeed. The installer error you're seeing is almost certainly the problem.

First, please try to uninstall CQ and completely remove any remaining download/install content from your Steam folder. Then, re-download CQ and re-install it. Sometimes the download gets snarfed and this could fix it.

If that fails, can you post your system info here. Specifically, OS, CPU, RAM, GPU, GPU driver version, and sound card? That'll help us isolate other potential problems.

I just got Costume Quest and it runs but the graphics are all messed up. It seems like the faces have all the facial expressions plastered on them all at once... I'm not sure what else is out of place but the most noticeable is the issue with the characters' faces.

Sounds like your graphics card's control panel is overriding the application’s settings. In particular, be sure your antialiasing settings are set to 'none'.

For an ATI chipset, if you right-click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Center, then Gaming, then 3D Application Settings, make sure “Use Application Settings” is checked. I’d actually recommend clicking the “defaults” button on that page. NVIDIA's control panel has a similar option.

Sounds like your graphics card's control panel is overriding the application’s settings. In particular, be sure your antialiasing settings are set to 'none'.

For an ATI chipset, if you right-click on the desktop and go to the Catalyst Control Center, then Gaming, then 3D Application Settings, make sure “Use Application Settings” is checked. I’d actually recommend clicking the “defaults” button on that page. NVIDIA's control panel has a similar option.

Thank you so much! I would have replied sooner but as soon as I got it working I just wanted to play it. :) Thank you again!

Hello, excellent DF fans! Just wanted to let everyone here know that DF will be shut down for our annual winter holiday break from Dec 22 through Jan 3 (back on Jan 4). That means all of us are on vacation and many of us are hundreds or thousands of miles away from our workstations. However, we know lots of you have recently purchased excellent games like Costume Quest, Psychonauts, Once Upon a Monster, and Iron Brigade and want to play them during your vacation. We want you to play them, too, even the ones of you with old computers or weird drivers or the simple bad luck to run into a bug. To that end, a few of us (esp me) will be checking the forums periodically during our vacation to provide whatever tips/tricks/insight we can for any of you who have issues with our games. We won't be able to issue any new patches, and we probably won't be responding as fast as normal, but we'll do what we can without totally alienating our families/loved ones/pet goldfish.

Thanks for understanding and happy holidays to you all!

I downloaded the game on Steam a few days ago but I can't seem to actually get the game to load. After it launches a blank error message pops up (callstack is what it says it's name is) and then closes the game. There doesn't seem to have been any problems with the installation so I'm not sure what could be causing this problem, I've talked with a few friends who also purchased the game recently but it's worked fine for them.

It seems this happens when some of the supporting directx stuff isn't installed. Go to Games->Costume Quest->Properties->Local Settings->Verify Game Cache. That seems to fix it for most folks.

I am having a problem in Grubbins on Ice for PC in the first area. If I am in the northeast of the area by the pool my screen will eventually lock up and freeze my computer. I get some garbage on the screen for a second then the scene freezes, the audio continues to run in the background, and the computer becomes unresponsive. This happened 3 times randomly while I played through Costume Quest, but it happens every time I try to play in Grubbins on Ice. It happens in fullscreen and windowed mode. I can provide a DXdiag if that will help. Drivers are up to date.

When I saw that Steam says the Intel G45 fulfills the minimum graphics requirement, I went ahead and installed Costume Quest on my laptop. I was surprised to find how terribly slowly it ran even after switching to 640x400 with all advanced graphics options turned off. In fact, I don't think changing those settings made it noticeably faster than it was when I first launched it, when it was running the default settings (1280x800, all advanced options turned on).

There seem to be some particular things which cause the game to struggle; if none of those things are in camera view the game seems to run OK. The slowest thing I encountered was the very first shot in the game- the intro's initial view pulling away from a few jack-o-lanterns seems to get about 4fps even at the lowest settings.

I have to wonder whether something here could use a little optimization. For instance, it seems possible that using a profiler would show there's one particular shader causing the problem and it could be replaced when running on Intel hardware.

I realized afterwards that my laptop's chip isn't called G45 but GM45 and that G45 refers to the higher-clocked desktop version, so I'm below the minimum spec. But I can't see how the 50% clock speed boost would make anywhere near enough of a difference to make this playable in the spots where it slows down so much; that intro scene would need to be 5x as fast to not be an unwatchable slide show. If a fix isn't in the offing you may want to rewrite your listed system requirements (at least to make it clear that the laptop versions of gma x4500hd aren't included, and, if necessary, to exclude GMA from the equation entirely).

ArchimedesTheDog, can you try to update your local/game cache through steam and try again? If it still generates these strange failures, please do send a dxdiag to nathan_at_doublefine.com along w/ you Steam system specs. Thanks!

jensend, what kind of CPU do you have on that machine? And how much RAM? I actually wonder if you are CPU bound, not GPU bound. That first shot through the neighborhood is the most expensive in the game and can peg both. The fact that you see little improvement when you disable various features makes me wonder if the issue is your CPU.

Regarding updating the min spec, we'll see if we can't find a solution here. If we can't, we likely will update the docs.

It's a 1.9GHz Core 2 Duo, again just below your quoted min. I've got 8GB of DDR3-1333.

The thing that's surprising is that once it's pulled away from the close-up on the jack-o-lanterns it's moderately responsive (more than 12fps but less than 24) as it zooms around the neighborhood; it's only while the initial jack-o-lanterns are in the frame that it's ~4fps. (These are guesses; I don't have fraps installed, and though I'd like to install dxProf it looks like it's disappeared from the web. I may be able to try installing the Intel Graphics Performance Analyzer and send its results along if need be.)

For the rest of the intro, while they're indoors the performance is fine, and when they're on the home doorstep before starting, it's at a normal speed when looking at the sibling who's still on the steps (looking back towards the door) and much much slower when looking at the sibling on the sidewalk (looking out into the neighborhood). Once the cutscene is finished and I'm given control of the characters the framerate is fine again as I move around the neigborhood.

Windows Task Manager reports that cpu usage during this whole intro sequence peaked around 50% of one core and 60% of the other.

I've only played a few minutes beyond that point in the game, and the intro is the only part where I've recorded cpu usage or tried to guess at framerates, but I think other cutscenes had some similar problems.

The first thing I noticed after installing the Intel Graphics Performance Analyzer was the draw calls statistic it reports. Looks like in Costume Quest the frame rate is almost perfectly inversely correlated with draw calls per frame; in the indoors scene it's around 250, in the outdoors gameplay more like 500, but in the parts of cutscenes where it's slowing down to painful levels (like the initial jack-o-lantern shot) it's around 4500 draw calls per frame. Smells fishy. Checked a couple of other 3d apps I have installed (Torchlight, Bastion, Intel's sample app) and they're doing around 100-200 draw calls per frame.

Having the cpu usage, frame rates, and draw calls displayed while playing also allowed me to realize:

1. Playing at the higher resolution (1280x800) is considerably slower after all (especially around foliage, which must be getting a lot more detail and causing more draw calls at the higher resolution), it's just that that difference (usually around 2/3 as fast as the lower resolution) isn't nearly as noticeable as the slowdowns in the cutscenes (when it slows to 1/4 to 1/8 of its speed outside those trouble spots).

2. This is definitely GPU limited; CPU utilization at 640x400 is around 50% and it's noticeably lower at 1280x720.

3. The only advanced setting which makes an appreciable difference is shadow mapping (with shadow mapping on, draw calls during the outdoors 640x400 gameplay are ~800 per frame rather than ~500).

Jensend, your analysis sounds pretty good. The opening cutscene in Costume Quest is actually one of the most performance intensive parts of the game; much of the town is in view, and the camera angle is low, so we can't occlude much. That cutscene received a lot of optimization during Costume Quest development.

One thing to keep in mind is that CQ is either CPU or GPU bound at different times. When batch counts are well over a thousand, it's easy to become bottlenecked by the CPU, as it is busy converting the game's draw calls into commands for the GPU. (On consoles, the application itself can produce commands for the GPU, but it's more abstract on the PC). In scenes with heavy overdraw, such as foliage, the GPU can become the bottleneck as it has to shade and blend many layers of pixels.

The GM45 is, unfortunately, not a very performant part-- Intel's older GPU's have never been very fast. My understanding is that it uses shared memory with the CPU, so it has very little bandwidth. I'd recommend that you reduce resolution and turn off shadow maps, but you've already tried that.

Another thing that's worth throwing out there: Be sure your laptop is not in any kind of power-saving mode. Usually, this just means plugging it into the wall instead of running off battery, but sometimes your settings will keep it in power saving mode. You've probably already tried that, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

ArchimedesTheDog, can you try to update your local/game cache through steam and try again? If it still generates these strange failures, please do send a dxdiag to nathan_at_doublefine.com along w/ you Steam system specs. Thanks!

Can you tell me more precisely what steps to pursue to update my local game cache via steam? I tried searching this forum for more context but could not find it.