Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Costume Quest PC Support: Legacy Thread

Still seems fishy to me, especially since the 4500 draw calls is when looking at just the initial jack-o-lanterns and once it really gets started with the neighborhood sweep that drops to ~3000. Couldn't batching reduce the number of draw calls drastically? I'm no expert here, but it really seems to me like a _lot_ of draw calls for the amount of geometry being shown.

After reading a couple of articles I guess that's a common issue with porting from a console- the per-call overhead is a *lot* higher on PC, so PC games are designed around instancing the geometry, batching the draw calls, etc to get everything drawn without crazy high numbers of draw calls, while on consoles, where there's no api overhead, doing 10K separate draw calls is not really a big deal and so everything ends up with its own draw call. I read that the situation is slightly improved with more recent versions of the DirectX api.

Similar slowdowns happen with a lot of the other cutscenes too, though I've not looked at them in as much detail.

I really don't think the game is ever CPU bound on my machine. Neither core ever went above 60% utilization during my test run, which went up through the "rebuild the robot costume" bit. Also, I've had the laptop plugged in throughout all this and don't think the power plan is affecting this.

Again, I know the entire GMA series was far from great; many of those developers who do decide to support Intel end up using Intel HD Graphics as the baseline. If it can't be made to run well on GMA, I can run it on a desktop with better graphics hardware at the end of this month. I just saw what the system requirement said and thought I could go for it now.

If this can't be fixed and the Intel graphics requirement needs to be bumped to HD Graphics I wonder whether the other system requirements may be inaccurate as well. In particular, looking at how the Intel stuff stacks up, I bet nothing from nV and ATI slower than the GeForce 8400M GT and the Mobility Radeon X1600 /Radeon HD 2400 can handle it, and those cards may be iffy. I also wonder whether you really meant to ask for 512MB video memory as a min. requirement; seeing as the Xbox 360's 512MB is shared across both the GPU and CPU one would hope 256MB video memory might suffice, and many of the cards which otherwise meet your stated minimum specs were never sold with more than 128MB.

Archimedes, Games Library->right clck on CQ->Properties->Local Settings->Update local...

Archimedes, Games Library->right clck on CQ->Properties->Local Settings->Update local...

I do not have "Local Settings", I have Games Library->right click on CQ->Properties->Local Files with the options Backup Game Files, Delete Local Game Content, Verify Integrity of Game Cache, and Defragment Cache Files. I have done the verification of integrity and the defrag of cache files, and the problem still happens.

Verify the integrity is what I meant. I'm on my iPad here so couldn't check. I got the info you sent me privately, so we'll go from that and let you know what we find.

We've posted a new patch to Costume Quest which fixes a rare crash bug as well as an option to toggle synchronization to the vertical blank.

The game uses vsync by default, but you can turn it off by starting the game with the -novsync command line option. If you are launching the game via Steam, right-click on Costume Quest, select Properties, click Set Launch Options..., and then type -novsync to the next dialog.

I bought this game before the recent patch. I am still unable to play Costume Quest. Every time i hit play it goes straight to a Windows crash window stating that Costume Quest has encountered a problem and needs to close. I tried running with novsync and window mode parameters but it still crashes on start-up. Not able to even start a game.

Windows XP Sp3

Radeon 9800 vid card

3GB RAM

Any help would be appreciated

here is the txt of what the error report contains:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 2/9/2012

Time: 11:49:22 PM

User: N/A

Computer: JM1

Description:

Faulting application cq.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module cq.exe, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x0030b4f5.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 71 2e ure cq.

0018: 65 78 65 20 31 2e 30 2e exe 1.0.

0020: 30 2e 31 20 69 6e 20 63 0.1 in c

0028: 71 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e q.exe 1.

0030: 30 2e 30 2e 31 20 61 74 0.0.1 at

0038: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset

0040: 30 30 33 30 62 34 66 35 0030b4f5

0048: 0d 0a ..

Hey weedus! Let's see if we can solve your problem.

First thing to check is the integrity of your cache. Do this by right clicking on the game, selecting properties and going to the local files tab and clicking the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button.

If that fails, please uninstall and then reinstall the game. Hopefully this will kick it back into submission, but if not I'll go check with the programmer and see what we can do after that =)

Okay, did both the Integrity check and full re-install. Still no luck. Thanks for looking into this for me.

We just released a new patch today, so please let me know if your problem is still occurring Weedus and I'll move on to the next step if we need to.

So the problem is that your graphics card is too out of date and doesn't support Shader Model 3.0, which Costume Quest needs to run. Sorry weedus, but until you upgrade it you'll be missing out =/

Thanks for letting me know. I wish the Steam PC requirements page was better designed so I can figure out if my graphics card will work with certain games. So many graphics cards out there it is hard to do the research to figure out where mine stands. I am going to try Shader Mark 2.1 to get my card to emulate the shader 3.0. Will let you know how I fare.

I scrolled through the topic but cant seem to find the solution to my problem...Achievments dont seem to work for me ! does anyone esle have the same problem ??? Can anyone help me)?

Ohh sry for not mentioning . It's on steam)

Alright, and just to doublecheck you aren't in offline mode right?

This is usually indicative of Steam servers being fussy or potentially that you're launching directly, rather than through Steam. I'd recommend you update your local cache and then try again a few hours later. We don't save all achievements locally, though, so you may have to go back and replay some if you want 100%.

To update the cache, right click on the game in your steam library, and choose properties. Then go to Local Files and click the Verify integrity of Local Cache button.

So I just started getting the callstack error thing. It was working fine for the whole time I was playing the first quest. However as soon as I started Grubbins on Ice I started running into this, is there a way to see when the last update was and possibly roll back to see?

Its a Windows 7 x64 machine with a Nvidia 9600GSO video card.

I seem to still have trouble with transparency, even though anti-aliasing aren't disabled in the AMD Vision Engine Control Center.

My system info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505)

Language: Danish (Regional Setting: Danish)

System Manufacturer: Acer

System Model: Aspire M3201

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 2225MB used, 3915MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Graphics Chipset: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

Hopefully it's alright to ask a general question here. The Grubbins on Ice DLC is included when you purchase this game on Steam right? Can you play the Grubbins on Ice DLC without having to play through the main game first? I purchased and beat the main quest on the 360, but I'm tempted to grab the game again for PC. I'd rather be able to just play that part then have to go through the main game again. Thanks.

@Ross

Yes, Grubbins on Ice is automatically included in the Steam version.

That's pretty much exactly what the MSAA bug looks like. Please give your driver settings another check, I bet MSAA is forced to something other than "use application settings" somewhere.

That's pretty much exactly what the MSAA bug looks like. Please give your driver settings another check, I bet MSAA is forced to something other than "use application settings" somewhere.

Everything looks correct to me, is there some secret settings somewhere I'm missing?

http://i.imgur.com/Cj6jZ.jpg

[EDIT]I've even tried creating a custom profile using RadeonPro, where I force Anti-Aliasing off, but I still get the same problem. Any other ideas?[/EDIT]

Having all support issues in a single thread has become super unwieldly, hard for us to support and hard for everyone else to quickly find good answers. We're leaving this forum up as a historical record of problems reported and resolved, but for anyone experiencing new issues, please post in a thread dedicated to that topic (or create a new one if no such thread exists).