Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ofiler

Activision Blizzard.

As some of you have no doubt read by now, 'Activision' and 'Vivendi Games' have merged to form 'Activision Blizzard' (it's a long way from April 1st...). As Vivendi/Sierra is the publisher of Brütal Legend, does this affect Double Fine in anyway? I doubt it would be a negative effect - a super-publisher has just been formed and just-so-happens to be behind Double Fine in their time of publishing need. Must be a good thing. ? .

It's perfect! Maybe now Brutal Legend does the succes Psychonauts didn't!

I mean, they are bigger now and the market attention and respect to their games should also be bigger.

I hope that Brütal Legend exceeds expectations and that fuels the possiblility of this merger to open the door for Psychonauts II since Activision Blizzard is probably going to create more annual IPs now (like Ubisoft and EA do). Since Activision Blizzard are going to be the new number one title holder as third party publisher, taking the crown from EA, I think that this is definitely a good possiblility for something like this to happen for Double Fine. I would like to believe that Double Fine would take an opportunity with it should the Vivendi Games/Sierra relationship be great for Brütal Legend.. unless they are already considering Brütal Legend 2, 3, 4, 5, etc, instead of Psychonauts II. Lol.

But I don't want a Psychonauts II!

I'd much rather see Double Fine dish out some more plates of fresh awesome.

Hopefully they can now put Brütal Legend on a console that we HAVE now instead of things that are too expensive ((PS3)) / don't wanna buy ((Xbox 360)) o3o

But really, that's kewl :3 Hopefully it'll give the game more recognition~ X3

Well I cant exactly agree with the name and I dont really see why sierra/vivendi would do this. I mean I highly doubt they need the cash cause they have some pretty successful titles. But whatevs as long as DF gets to keep creative control of their games I'm good.

Well I cant exactly agree with the name and I dont really see why sierra/vivendi would do this. I mean I highly doubt they need the cash cause they have some pretty successful titles.

There is no such thing as "enough money" in business.

I don't think this will affect Brütal Legend all that much. And if it does, it will be for the good, like already said.

I know not whether to be happy or appalled.

::uses magic 8 ball...:: ''Better not tell now.''

Alas, it certainly is being a rather coy wench, is it not?

I suppose another corporate harlot, such as EA, shan't really 'mix things up' much. However, I am doubtful that Double Fine shall lose it's sense of self over the matter. I know all of us would quite happily bear the team a loft and parade through the streets like the social miscreants we all are, but I think there is little cause for alarm. Should AB become tyrannical and try to temper DF into some sleazy care-bear, then they had better watch their backs --but if I were them-- I would be more concerned about their fronts...

Planning something again, Masquerade? Oh, you and your evil schemes!

I also don't really know what to think of this. Only time will tell.

Will this allow me to integrate my love for Brütal Legend and my WoW playing habits in some way?

... Just kidding.

It's like we've all been warped to an alternate future, where all of the companies have merged to form super double-companies! Bandai Namco, Activision Blizzard...

To be honest with you peeps, im not a big fan of Vivendi. Sure, i respect what they have achieved, and heck, i wouldnt mind working for them one bit, fan or no fan, their still big in the games industry.

No, what i greatly dislike is what seems to be their approach of quantity over quality. "coughs" WoW "coughs again".

So, im glad and a bit worried that their publishing Brutal Legend; glad, because they are, perhaps due to this merger, understanding the concept of quality and quantity need to be balanced. Worried, because they may revert in the future. Let us hope not.

Extra addendum: sorry, im confused: is it Sierra publishing the game, or Activision Vivendi??

Sierra is a sub branch of Vivendi. Vivendi and Activision have united for this merger.

I do not believe one should criticize Vivendi for WoW. Afterall, it is a phenomenally successful franchise and in demand. Also, considering it is an MMORPG, it is offers a fair share of things within the series. You shall not find many titles better than it within the genre.

I personally am not a fan of MMORPG's; but that is not to say that Vivendi are cutting corners within the genre. If they were, why would it have become such an addicting global phenomenon? There are many other MMORPG's out there, but few offer things on such a grand scale.

Blizzard, yet another sub-branch of Vivendi, have brought us the glorious Diablo. Sierra has brought us the likes of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the dragon, amid a slew of other platforming titles. I believe the Half Life team is also under the Vivendi banner.(?)

One respects your opinion good sirra, but personally i still dislike Vivendi untill proven otherwise, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, remember that Blizzard brought us classics such as Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and such before coming under Vivendi. In such glory days, they were renowned for having an excellente relationship with their customers, for listening greatly to their needs/concerns and addressing them-a trait that seems to have sadly diminished with WoW.

Half-Life were under Vivendi, but thankfully they went independent (now launching their games through the Steam system, perhaps nearly achieving the dream of every developer, to be a publisher also and get practically all royalties) due to great stresses and arguments between the two, so i am to understand.

Finally, it comes down to what I have experienced when playing WoW: my strong belief is that it has won such great appeal because it is indeed a polished product, and it was, at the time, one of the few polished Light MMOs-that is to say, an MMO which requires little skill or duress to get to the topmost notch. It had many innovative ideas to reduce the impact that deaths and time-off had on successfully continuing through the levels, but it just made it way too easy, resulting in a large community of over-powered little kids (no offense to decent little kids) who were just...well...spoiled little kids, with little room for dialogue or/and proper gaming.

They also, so i understand, promised they were going to introduce so-called "Hero" classes, to be obtained after the max level, which would take considerably longer to power through. However this was instead replaced by an increased level cap.

To add insult to injury, rather than solve the many quality/gaming/balancing issues that were around, the game continued to expand to China, focusing ever more on quantity rather than quality.

So that be my opinion: the game is selling so well because it is so easy to get into-and indeed so easy overall-that literally anyone can play it. Makes me think of a similar parallel: the early days of the games industry, were everyone could make games; that made it come crashing down for a while. I wonder if the same fate, then will happen to WoW (sorry, i sincerely hope so), when everyone will be so bored of the lack of challenge that they will simply migrate elsewhere?

Brutal Legend: The next MMORPG, where QQers and pwners alike can rock out.

Soon the forums will be filled with posts like:

"Vocalists don't have enough crowd control!"

"GUITARISTS IS OP OMG!!!"

And I will laugh.

Just kidding.

Well anyone worried about the merge killing the greatness of rock should be put to rest. Something I bet the powers that be knew all along. Joystick reported that all'08 games are safe but the '09 stuff may be at risk. Still I hope the humbug that Microsoft of dropping Psycronuts and having to use a crappy publisher again doesn't happen again. No offense to anyone but I tried 20 times returning the game and ended up just losing half of my money simply cause I had to go threw Walmart at the time since Psycronauts was sold out at GameStop at the time. Either Walmart or the publisher that went under was at fault. Still I was glad to rent it even if I couldn't get to the very end of the game, I just don't want to go threw the same humbug again. Sierra has some history behind it still doesn't keep me from being in fear of it.

I wonder if the suits at Activision Blizzard are done trying on dresses and having tea parties with each other yet??

Also: I am hungry for more Brütal Legend media. More than three screenshots of gameplay?

How about a gameplay video!

-OR-

a mini video documentary of the DF staff and/or voice talents from in the game talking about Brütal Legend!!!

*head explodes*

Just sayin..

I do agree, but I do understand the reasoning in focusing on making a game instead of alot of mini-stuff. I also would like something, maybe not alot just another taste of the greatness that will be of BRUTAL LEGENDS since we already are salivating for the great work that it will be. Just a little taste like some more concept art or free songs to download. Something like that allows us to plant the seed or wanting to buy Brutal Legends into others that will bloom once Double Fine give birth to the game and release it to the world.

I do agree, but I do understand the reasoning in focusing on making a game instead of alot of mini-stuff. I also would like something, maybe not alot just another taste of the greatness that will be of BRUTAL LEGENDS since we already are salivating for the great work that it will be. Just a little taste like some more concept art or free songs to download. Something like that allows us to plant the seed or wanting to buy Brutal Legends into others that will bloom once Double Fine give birth to the game and release it to the world.
Right on. Just to be clear, I only want support from the Publisher (sierra) for Brütal Legend, and it's respective role in distributing all said media for the game, not so much anything more from Double Fine themselves since I would assume that they are working very hard on this project as it is. I'm sure that there is some lawyerized contract do-hicky thing that keeps the dev team from speaking about anything without the permission of the publisher, so I wasn't expecting a validated response from any DF staffer or anything. They can keep kicking butt on what they do best, while I voice my concern of support to their publisher amongst other forumers and fans here.

As a gamer, I have high expectations for publishers to support great developers and I just don't want the whole "Activision Blizzard" merger to hinder the potential for Sierra supporting Double Fine.. at all. Maybe I am being impatient, but hopefully there will be more media released so that more gamers are made aware of this game. I just posted about it in a thread (on another forum) where people were wondering: "Whoa, how did I miss this?" and "When was this game filled with awesomeness announced??". It just seems to me that there could be a little bit more put out there to build awareness for Brütal Legend. I feel that it deserves it, because I want it to succeed and I want others to enjoy it too. Maybe we have to wait until E3 or sometime-after-that-tiny-GTAIV-game?? Lol.

I understand and agree with you. True they do great work, but other then showing people the trailer there isn't anything to show or give other people then an ad of the greatness that they've seen before. Most people that I have show it to people have been meh about it. I can understand that since there isn't really that much. I get stared at Gamestop when I put maybe 35 cents down on the reserve for the game whenever I find money. They don't get why I would put all the money I can into this game, and I want to give them talk about more then just the trailer so that they can understand why there is this love and respect for Double Fine and this game.

Yeah, I think patience is the name of the game and, also as noted, E3 and after GTA4 is the 'right time'. If you try announcing anything or drumming up hype for something before GTA4, or even in the wake of it, you're just shouting at the wind. I predict the campaign will start around E3 (getting people excited to cover it and getting readers excited to see that coverage) and then it'll be an attempted snowball from there... it also just depends on the release date.

Companies are experimenting with the length of time they subject an audience to any given campaign, so if the release is still a few months away, or nearer to Christmas than September, then all we'll get is a screenshot here and (hopefully) a clever bit of PR there. There's quite a bit of potential for clever PR as we can all see...

Still psyched, still hoping for an identity to emerge when the campaign begins...

Sign in to follow this