Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cfair

An Impulsive Letter

To Tim Schafer and everyone ever behind Double Fine,

Howdy,

My name is Chris and I wanted to speak for a minute on my appreciation for what all of you do. I am a graphic designer out of ohio and as a former art student I came to learn a lot about processes, creativity, inspiration, and ingenuity. Over the last few years I have had the luxury of playing man of your games and have been amazed by what I see every time. In an industry dominated by "the latest and greatest" graphics you have bypassed the predictable to create beautiful worlds for the stories of your games to take place in.

Which brings me to my next point. I am also an appreciator of story. Through my walk as a Christian I have come to better appreciate and better understand quality story telling and quality story construction through my studies of Lewis, Tolkien, and the old testament. What I have witnessed time and time again in your games are worlds that roll open to the player in order to reveal both past, present, and future plot points. There is a great unraveling that goes on instead of simply having plot points, chacter development, and progression dumped in into place as many video games settle for. I often get a sense that even though the games often play in a linear fashion it gives the impression of experiencing this created world instead of just walking through level by level.

I myself am not a big gamer but my experience with your and some more recent video games (Bastion) has shown me that video games are an unfortunately untapped medium in the world of story telling, art, and creativity. And I hope that through your efforts they will one day be considered alongside Movies, Plays, and Books as you have the great ability to make them so.

I apologize for simplicity of my explanations and hope that you will non the less feel the heart and appreciation behind my words.

-Chris

(P.S. I suppose for anyone else this can be a "praise thread" if you want to join in. I mostly wrote this because for some reason I couldn't find a Contact section with a suitable email.)

To Tim Schafer and everyone ever behind Double Fine,

Howdy,

My name is Chris and I wanted to speak for a minute on my appreciation for what all of you do. I am a graphic designer out of ohio and as a former art student I came to learn a lot about processes, creativity, inspiration, and ingenuity. Over the last few years I have had the luxury of playing man of your games and have been amazed by what I see every time. In an industry dominated by "the latest and greatest" graphics you have bypassed the predictable to create beautiful worlds for the stories of your games to take place in.

Which brings me to my next point. I am also an appreciator of story. Through my walk as a Christian I have come to better appreciate and better understand quality story telling and quality story construction through my studies of Lewis, Tolkien, and the old testament. What I have witnessed time and time again in your games are worlds that roll open to the player in order to reveal both past, present, and future plot points. There is a great unraveling that goes on instead of simply having plot points, chacter development, and progression dumped in into place as many video games settle for. I often get a sense that even though the games often play in a linear fashion it gives the impression of experiencing this created world instead of just walking through level by level.

I myself am not a big gamer but my experience with your and some more recent video games (Bastion) has shown me that video games are an unfortunately untapped medium in the world of story telling, art, and creativity. And I hope that through your efforts they will one day be considered alongside Movies, Plays, and Books as you have the great ability to make them so.

I apologize for simplicity of my explanations and hope that you will non the less feel the heart and appreciation behind my words.

-Chris

(P.S. I suppose for anyone else this can be a "praise thread" if you want to join in. I mostly wrote this because for some reason I couldn't find a Contact section with a suitable email.)

Bastion? I didn't know Doublefine made bastion? and, yes Doublefine is awesome. Unless you're mistaking Doublefine for the people who made bastion.

Wikipedia says Bastion was made by the indie developer Supergiant Games. Unless we're talking about some different DF-developed Bastion game I haven't heard of

my experience with your and some more recent video games (Bastion)

I don't think he's saying that Bastion is made by Double Fine, guys. Rather that he's talking about his experiences with:

- Double Fine games

- some other, more recent video games which aren't made by Double Fine (e.g. Bastion)

as two separate things.

This is the correct parsing of that sentence, although the wording clearly could have been clearer. =P

Sign in to follow this