Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
orkeyadam

Psychonauts 2!!!!!

I just found out that if u buy Psychonauts game on steam some of the money will go towards Psychonauts 2..that's awesome that's what i am doing.....i am gonna buy the game off of steam............just to let you other fans of Psychonauts know that i heard it on the internet and it even said on some forum that even piraters out there still help the popularity stay up but im gonna buy the game insted to help out..........

Source? Sounds like some serious wishful thinking.

Sure, the money's gonna go straight to DF, but in the end it all comes down to wether or not they've pitched the idea to a willing publisher. That's just how the industry works.

lol thanks....and they need funding to get a publisher ....i really hope they stop making those sesame street games and go back to psychonauts heres a video about psycohnauts it says its real

No, no, no, dearie, you've got it all wrong. The publishers are the source of funding. They invest the money so DF can make their games

Unless of course DF plans on self-publishing. But I doubt the revenue from one game's gonna allow them to jump straight to self-publishing. Many games cost millions and millions of dollars to develop.

I mean they have to pay the publisher to make it as it would cost millions to develop it just don't work out that way it works like this.....they got to have money for publisher rights and money to pay the publisher so that the publisher can pay off the millions of dollars to invest on the game.......

I think you need to read up a little about how games are developed because you are very, very wrong, sir.

Here, lemme pull out a few posts from DF's very own QA guy regarding the matter

Edit: Or even better, something form the FAQ page, written by Tim Schafer himself:

Why no PC versions of Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, or Stacking?

As a developer we do not have final say in the sku plan for our games. That is the decision of the person investing the money, i.e. the publisher. We have much of the technology in place to produce PC versions of all these games, but there is still some more work required to make them shippable and that costs money. So far, our publishers have not elected to fund that work. Not because they hate PC Gamers, but because they don't see enough financial reward. Double Fine does care about PC Gamers, and we always push for a PC version, and will continue to do so in the future. If we ever get super stinking rich here, with enough money to fund PC versions of our games, then we will go back and make them ourselves! Oh man, wouldn't that be cool?

So, while you're right that money has everything to do with it, you can see from this quote that it's not DF's money thats the issue, it's the money coming from a publisher that matters. i.e, if they ARE willing to invest, then hurray! We'll have a new game. And maybe it'll be Psychonauts. Maybe it'll be a totally different game that, dare I say it, surpasses the excellence of Psychonauts

you are actually very very wrong sir 1.because you haven't read up the history of double fine so u have no idea on what ur talking about on games...Tim don't work for them no more it is now Gog that makes it...before u post a reply read the rest of the forum of FAQS and the forum written by Tim ok...im not trying to sound rude

What, no-- I don't even?

Look here sonny, I've been on these forums for 4 years, and Tim plus many other DF employees have taken the time to sit our overly-eager butts down and talk to us about these things, so I'm quite sure I know what I'm talking about. Threads about P-nauts 2 have been all over this subforum since day one, to which the DF folks have replied to with the same response every time.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but Tim nor Double Fine "work" for anyone but themselves. Tim USED to work for Lucas Arts, but left them to start up Double Fine. I think you have the concept of where they stand all wrong. Double Fine are the developers, meaning they lay down the actual groundwork and build the game and all of it's assets up. The only part the publishers play is investing the money so DF can pay all their folks to do their work, and most likely they also do the game's advertising. And getting the game published, of course.

And GOG (by which you mean Good Old Games, correct?) doesn't "make" anything, they are an online distribution platform, much like a physical real-world Gamestop, only in a digital form. They sell copies of games, but in a digital form. They do not develop games. Psychonauts is also on Steam, another digital distribution platform, but neither Steam nor Valve (the people who developed Steam) are responsible for Psychonaut's creation.

I suggest you read this Wikipedia article on Psychonauts, it sounds like alot of your info is coming from rumors and guesswork.

Actually, you are both wrong.

Psychonauts 2 has been out for a while, as those of us in the industry know. The over-excitement and subsequent dissuasion for Psychonauts 2 is actually the game itself. Imagine -- Psychonauts was a game about the human mind, so the natural progression of that idea was to bypass the console itself and create the gameplay directly inside the players head. By keeping fans waiting, you all become incubators for your own dreams about the game, playing out the game inside your head and creating for each of you a truly unique interactive experience, just as Tim intended.

I suggested all of this to Tim over coffee, and I'm sure he took it to heart, so you can take my word to it. Psychonauts 2 is no Fable 2, but i am still proud of my contribution.

...The only problem is we haven't figured out how to monetize this unique design yet. I suggested charging per thought, but Tim didn't seem to like that idea for some reason. So you guys are getting to play the game absolutely free, you wankers.

Psychonauts 2 has been out for a while, as those of us in the industry know. The over-excitement and subsequent dissuasion for Psychonauts 2 is actually the game itself. Imagine -- Psychonauts was a game about the human mind, so the natural progression of that idea was to bypass the console itself and create the gameplay directly inside the players head. By keeping fans waiting, you all become incubators for your own dreams about the game, playing out the game inside your head and creating for each of you a truly unique interactive experience, just as Tim intended.

I suggested all of this to Tim over coffee, and I'm sure he took it to heart, so you can take my word to it. Psychonauts 2 is no Fable 2, but i am still proud of my contribution.

...The only problem is we haven't figured out how to monetize this unique design yet. I suggested charging per thought, but Tim didn't seem to like that idea for some reason. So you guys are getting to play the game absolutely free, you wankers.

Wait,What?!

Wait,What?!

I shall rephrase in gamer-speak: game inside player head. play with imagination. headshot.

I look forward to the day that games reach the artistic audience they deserve, and game designers no longer have to dumb down their concepts for the masses.

Sign in to follow this