Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dhurkst

No audio

I've had this game on PC via Steam for a while, but something odd is happening. When I start up the game, and it plays the Double Fine logo sequence, there is audio, as to be expected. However, when it gets to the title screen, and when I play the game itself, there is no audio whatsoever. My computer isn't muted, and I've checked the sound options, which are all turned up to maximum volume. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Do you have multiple sound cards installed by any chance? If so, perhaps the game is using the wrong one? Another possibility is that you plugged in a USB headset (which are often implemented as secondary sound cards) and the game is getting confused and trying to output to that.

PS - the reason that the audio is different is because the intro logo is a movie and plays audio through a different bit of code than the main game.

I installed the game yesterday and had the same issue except I get NO sound at all. Someone mentioned installing OpenAL which I did and it made no difference, maybe the OP could try that. I'm using the HDMI output on my nVidia card so I disabled all other audio devices via control panel including the on-board sound.

On the amplifier display it shows all 6 speakers providing sound prior to game launch and then all the little icons vanish as if there was nothing connected.

Any help would be great since this game came highly recommended and looks like a lot of fun :)

It sounds like a similar issue under the hood. We don't have a similar setup here, but I'll try to semi-debug it remotely. First, a few questions:

Can you list your OS, gfx card, and all audio devices?

Also, can you try enabling the onboard sound card, disabling the NVIDIA card, and hooking up speakers to the onboard sound? Basically, I'm curious if the game plays sound with a simpler setup or if it's more of an OS type issue where sound won't play regardless of what device you use.

Thanks!

It works flawlessly on another computer using the same connections, both using Windows 7 64bit.

The one that works has an ATI 5970, the one that doesn't has an nVidia 590.

Hey, Tom. Can you tell me what audio hardware is installed in both the ATI 5970 machine vs the NVIDIA 590? Also, are both machines desktops?

Sorry for the huge delay. Both machines are desktops. The nVidia one has the video card, Realtek HD Audio, Realtek Digital Outpit and Realtek Digital Output(Optical) listed under the 'playback' tab from 'sound' in control panel. The ATI one has the video card and Creative Fatal1ty listed.

Hey, Tom. Thanks for the info. We're getting a lot of reports of issues w/ Realtek sound cards. Will have to investigate further.

If you have the time, could you try launching Pnauts w/ different output settings on the Nvidia/realtek box? I'm wondering if it's certain output modes that we have trouble with. I'm far away from the office right now or I'd try the test myself :)

Sign in to follow this