Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

Red Ringed Xbox 360's.

Ok, so my 360 just died. I have had absolutley no problems at all with it up until this point. I got it last christmas and figured all the problems would have been worked out during it's intial 1 year run. I heard all this junk about the red rings of death, but I thought it was just blown out of proportion. But after talking with everyone I know that has had one, about 6 people. EVERY single 360 has DIED.

And reading up on forums and stuff now, chances are when Microsoft gets around to picking up my 360 and getting it back to me, it will most likely be a junker that will die on me again. I have to say I'm pretty shocked at all this. My first xbox died on me too. I can't really fault them too much for that. It was a launch system and their first foray into gaming consoles. (Plus I played the hell out of it with Halo 2.) But this still doesn't inspire much confidence in their ability to make a reliable system.

I sort of just felt like venting and I apologize for my rant there.

Has anyone else with a 360 here had any problems? Am I being a big baby or is this really nothing to care about? PS3 is looking inviting, but I'm not sure at this point.

I have a "launch console" (manufactured Oct. 11, 2005 and purchased on December 11, 2005) and I had just had my FIRST issue, which happened to be the Red Rings of Doom. There were no warning signs of this happening either. I sent it out a couple of weeks back and it arrived back from repair today. It seems to be working great and I've tested every style of game to make sure it works properly. This will be my very first console that I've ever had an issue with, as long as that doesn't include the original Nintendo where you had to blow into the cartridges to make the games work. Lol.

Btw, my Xbox 360 is the EXACT one that I had sent out. I was pretty happy to see that even though I was preparing myself for a "Junker" refurbished unit like what I've been reading around the forums. For me, the games I like are all on the Xbox 360 and I am liking the HD DVD add-on player. With that said, I will continue to be satisfied with the Xbox 360 and this problem isn't making the PS3 looking any more appealing for the few games it has and it being a cheap blu-ray player. If it were less expensive to buy, then maybe I'd consider it. Just not yet. I'd love to own all the consoles, but I don't have the extra funds or enough reasons to get another videogame console for under our TV. If anything, I'd get the Wii just for the Nintendo exclusive first party games to accompany my Xbox 360 and all the games it seems to get before the PS3 and in some cases, the PC.

Tips: WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING from your console (serial number, ID numbers, manufacture date, etc.). WRITE DOWN the person's name whom you speak with and the case number for future reference when you call the repair line. When the UPS box (coffin) arrives, WRITE DOWN the tracking number so that you can track it on UPS.com before you send your Xbox 360 out to repair. It is better to have all your info available in case something goes wrong and to follow up if you should have issues once you get it back.

Good luck!

....microsoft and nintendo are right across the highway (where i am, wa) and i can just see nintendo..."HA, the xbox 360's are turning into transformers!!! told ya bill would buy the whole, 'use this new metal, it is really neat' thing HA!!" then the wii is attacked in a mud pit by the chinese vii and it goes downhill from there ^_^

This is the reason I fear to purchase a 360 sometime in the near future.

As I've heard it, Microsoft customer service has at least been decent in replacing and repairing their 'Boxes, but the reports of such frequent breaking are a bit depressing.

Might have to get one if I want to play Brutal Legend, though.

Please tell me how your repairs turn out!

(As for the Gamecube... it's built to LAST. I remember when we knocked it from high off our av center... the lid popped right off, but it can back on again, resuming the game where it left off. Brilliant.)

A bit off topic but, the Wii's are also pretty sturdy.

Mine survived a hard yank off a 3 1/2 foot surface while running a gamecube game. The game didn't skip a beat. And the Wii hit the wall and tv cabinet on its way to the floor.

Although, I still wouldn't advise trying to step over an attached and dangling GC controller without looking.

Although, I still wouldn't advise trying to step over an attached and dangling GC controller without looking.

And that was the source of my gamecube's downfall! I cheer the wireless age.

The whole game club had a big chuckle over it, followed by applause when our Smash Tournament continued where it left off without interruption.

Back on topic:

Has anyone received the festive red/green blinking ring of death? I think the internet still doesn't know what this signifies over the usual ring of death. Might have something to do with the new motherboards in the more recent models. Just curious.

If I do own up and buy an Xbox, you will all have to play Uno with me. I'm not even kidding.

Has anyone received the festive red/green blinking ring of death? I think the internet still doesn't know what this signifies over the usual ring of death. Might have something to do with the new motherboards in the more recent models. Just curious.

If I do own up and buy an Xbox, you will all have to play Uno with me. I'm not even kidding.

No, I haven't recieved the Festivus Lights of Death. That is the first I have heard of a green and red blinking error code to be honest and I moderate the forums where many Xbox 360 owners frequent on the interwebs to discuss such issues. I'll let you know if I find out anything though.

I play UNO on Xbox Live sometimes. It is fun just to pass time and talk with people on my friendslist. I don't have the Live Camera though, so people who do have it sometimes give me crap about it. Until there is an actual functional use for it, I'd rather spend my hard-earned cash towards more games, that's all. If you get an Xbox 360, hit me up via PM and we can exchange gamertags.

Oh neat. Now when your xbox decides to die, it does it in a festive manner! That actually does sound kinda neat.

I'm suprised the Wii is that sturdy. That's pretty impressive. I kinda wanted the camera too, but I thought the same thing what the heck am I really going to do with it?

I got my coffin in the mail today. I'm going to try to send it out tommorrow. I'm debating whether or not I should include a little note like one of my friends did begging for a new console instead of a refurb. But I doubt they'd even read it or care.

I got my coffin in the mail today. I'm going to try to send it out tommorrow. I'm debating whether or not I should include a little note like one of my friends did begging for a new console instead of a refurb. But I doubt they'd even read it or care.

Coffin, heh heh. That sounds so very fittingly... morbid.

I bet there's a stong possibility that the person who receives your console for referb won't speak English?

Actually, I don't know! Are electronics repairs usually done in America / Canada, or are they done in China?

LOL. So I went down to my local UPS store today to send my 360Coffin on it's way. As soon as I walk in the guy behind the counter starts laughing. I was pretty confused and asked him what was up. Apparently all the 360's sent back are in the same White Box thingees and he instantly recognized that he was getting another one in. I asked him how many he had gotten and he said TONS AND TONS. With even more now during the holiday season. He had the whole process down flat. Doesn't exactly instill confidince in me.

I dunno. I guess most if not all the repairs are sent to Texas. I'm not sure if they fix them there or not. I'm assuming they do it there. I included a little note saying I would appreciate a new system over a fixer-upper if possible. I know it proabably won't matter, but it can't trying to be civil with them.

Or maybe they give me a busted up one just to spite me now. And laugh at me.

I have thought of a humorous anecdote to ease your temporary pain!

Being a computer geeks by definition, out Computer Engineering class often got cries for help from other teacher throughout the school will malfunctioning boxes. After we had a few piled up, we'd work together to get them back in working order.

I remember this one computer I had was making an awful sound and not booting up right. I tool my screwdriver to open the case and see what was amiss...

There were about 5 empty Doritos bags crammed inside the case... somehow.

It puzzles me to this day.

I get the Red Rings of doom once in a while, I just unplug my xbox then I don't play it for a few days and get back to it, then I don't play it for 10 hour marathons or partys for a few weeks.

Haha that's aweomse! 5 Doritos bags!? Ya gotta love it. Thank ya for the pick me up Wolf.

I'm not too bummed though, because honestly the only game I have for the 360 is Halo 3 and I'm not too into it. I don't think I touched it for 2 weeks before my cousin came over to play a game and it red ringed on me. So it's not like it overheated or anything. I think it just was evil/lazy.

the "red rings of death" as they are called are the xbox 360's way of saying 'hey, my bios are f**ed up i am now corrupted and no longer playable' it is like the devil blue screen that pc's give you when they die of unknown causes........YUMMY DORITOeS

I'm sure no one cares, and no one wants to hear my whining, but I need to vent.

I just got my 360 back today and it was going well. Seemed kinda quiet and looked pretty clean and nice. It said it was made in like July of 07. No HDMI port. I don't think it's that new Falcon kind. Played some games of Halo 3. Seemed all was well. Tried out some old BC games. Worked alright. But then I tried putting in Halo 3 again and the cd tray FREAKED OUT. It made some horrible noises and I thought it was going to eat my game. So I popped Halo out. I tried some music CD's instead just in case it did do something mean, and now the tray won't even close. Even if I power the system off. The tray will close, but then just pop back open and stay open as the system is off. And it won't hold any cd's or games or play them.

So, I'm kinda peeved. The new system didn't even last me a day apparently. I'm going to try to talk to someone tonight or tommmorrow on getting a new system AGAIN. And then I think I will sell or get rid of that system.

Not to sound like a total Poopdog, but anyone who is thinking of getting a 360 maybe you should hold off for a while until they can somehow figure out how to fix these things or just avoid them all together.

Ok, done venting. Sorry.

That whole red rings of doom are the only things that keep me wavering. I'm real sorry to hear about your misfortune, Ross. I suppose I should hold out ...

*pat pat* Sorry man.

My little cousins got an 360 Elite for Christmas, and they fried it the second day by plugging the power cord for another system in, and turning it on!

That's one thing I liked about the Gamecube that I wish would live on... the manual disk tray. Since the Xbox needs power to open the disk tray, when one dies, the disk is stuck!

And I'm sure that ripping the tray out to get your copy of Guitar Hero voids your chances of getting it fixed for free :)

*pat pat* Sorry man.

My little cousins got an 360 Elite for Christmas, and they fried it the second day by plugging the power cord for another system in, and turning it on!

That's one thing I liked about the Gamecube that I wish would live on... the manual disk tray. Since the Xbox needs power to open the disk tray, when one dies, the disk is stuck!

And I'm sure that ripping the tray out to get your copy of Guitar Hero voids your chances of getting it fixed for free :)

Incorrect, good citizen. You can manually open the Xbox 360 disk tray:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906935/

Incorrect, good citizen. You can manually open the Xbox 360 disk tray:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906935/

Amazing! Thanks! I had no idea.

I was about to attempt something like this, but I was too worried that I would break it further. Good to know that it can be done safely. I'll forward the link to my uncle.

Yay for engineers thinking a step ahead!

Hooray paper clips!

I just got my coffin today. I'll send this mofo out tommorrow. I'm pretty disallusioned by this whole bunch of junk. Maybe I should fill the coffin with Oreo bags. That'd be cool.

In the latest J!nx Newsletter:

Xbox360 is teh suck!

As a public service, we'd like to provide this brief rant: Nine people in the J!NX Office ponied up a hefty wad of female deer for an Xbox360. Of those nine, six of us now have a broken Xbox360. For the math-impaired, that makes 66.666% (repeating, of course) bitter J!NX gamers. So sad... We have consoles from 20 years ago that still work perfectly, apart from a few cartridges that need a blow now and then... (heh, blow...)

-Team J!NX

Wow, that was email to everyone who has bought something from the J!nx store, which I imagine is a far chunk of people on the internets.

:( I really want to play Mass Effect! But common sense forbids me.

In the latest J!nx Newsletter:
Xbox360 is teh suck!

As a public service, we'd like to provide this brief rant: Nine people in the J!NX Office ponied up a hefty wad of female deer for an Xbox360. Of those nine, six of us now have a broken Xbox360. For the math-impaired, that makes 66.666% (repeating, of course) bitter J!NX gamers. So sad... We have consoles from 20 years ago that still work perfectly, apart from a few cartridges that need a blow now and then... (heh, blow...)

-Team J!NX

Wow, that was email to everyone who has bought something from the J!nx store, which I imagine is a far chunk of people on the internets.

:( I really want to play Mass Effect! But common sense forbids me.

J!NX ?

*chuckles*

How ironic that J!NX is their name and that happened..

Btw, I've never heard of them and I am fairly versed on gaming sites of the internets. The maturity of a site ranting like that, about this issue, is not suprising though since most all of the major sites out there have discussed this topic over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over again. Best of luck on your console anyways!

Lol. Sounds like they were kinda pissed. I don't blame them. They proabably could have handled it a bit better, but at the same time it should be known that the 360's really do suck. The more informed people are, the better. Maybe if we make a big enough fuss they'll actually do something to fix the problem.

And if I come off sounding like a jerk I don't really mean to. It's just that this whole thing is lame.

On the brightside, I've decided to start looking into PS2 games. The system is still kicking and has lots to offer.

K. I thought I'd update this again. Even though no-one cares still. It feels good to let this out.

So I got my new 360 back yesterday. Seemed to work alright. It was the same one I had sent away before just refurbished. I put in a new game that I had gotten the other day for free by trading in some other stuff. Kameo. So all seems to go well. (And the game is pretty sweet by the way.)

I got back today, and started playing a bit. Then all of a sudden, my screen just blacked out. I wasn't sure if something had become unplugged or what. Everything was still were it was supposed to be. I tried unplugging everything and restarting.

I can get sound, but no picture. So i try a friends 360 cord thinking maybe that will help. Nope. I try a different TV. Nope. Now I am sitting here waiting for the thing to cool down before I have to go through the fun process of calling Microsoft back up and sending my 360 out AGAIN. I'm hoping it just overheated? Even though I only played for about 10 minutes before this happened.

I hate to keep coming in here sounding like a "playa hata" but man, 360's are unreliable. This is absolutely insane.

Edit: Recently the gaming website Joystiq revealed that 100% of their 360's have died/RROD. Awesome.

Well, I have had the chance to take a close peek inside about 3 different broken 360's and the problem in EVERY SINGLE ONE (red ringing) was the heatsinks were really loose. The little X clamps underneath the Motherboard were like twisted and soft, kinda like when you take a paper clip and twist it.

I then hopped online and found a site that sells these bolts and spacers to replace those crappy X clamp things. Well, I ordered a few and replaced the 360s with the bolts and they all worked fine after that!

I then traded my current year old 360 into gamestop, bought a new one and popped it open and replaced the clamps with the bolts. No problems in the past 4 months since I bought it. Microsoft needs to REALLY look into those clamp things.

Yea I keep hearing about the x-clamps, but I have no idea what the heck they are. Just that they suck.

That's pretty cool that you have the technical know how to fix it. That''s got to be kinda complicated. LOL, you could proabably start your own repair service and make a pretty penny.

Gamestop actually took in your 360? I thought they wouldn't take ones that had been opened? Did they gave you a fairly decent price for it? (If you don't mind me asking.)

And now for a total conspiracy theory. When I was over at the offical xbox hardware forums. Lots of people had the same problem with the video just craping out on them. Many suspect that it's the new reaction to hardware failure and the Microsoft has made changes so that the Red Rings won't show. It's part of their evil plan to keep as many people from getting free repairs as they can. Hmmmm...

Ohh, speaking of conspiracy theories has anyone ever seen/heard of this? I just saw it the other day. Spooky!

http://area51callin.ytmnd.com/

Conspiracy? Conspiracy!

I was sure that all of the old Xboxes really started melthing themselves the day that the plans for the 360 launch were made...

Microsoft has a row of buttons:

Make Old Windows Versions Die

Make Old Xboxes Die

Make Old Office Versions Die...

*puts paper bag over her head*

Make Old Windows Versions Die

Ha, I think that button's broken. (XP Forevar!)

Rest assured, the top researchers and programmers are running around the clock to fix this problem, as your patronage is very important to Microsoft! :)

Sign in to follow this