Sign in to follow this  
epic

2011 Year in Review

What Was the Biggest Event of 2011?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Was the Biggest Event of 2011?

• The Middle Eastern Revolts
    • The Japanese Earthquake
    • The Libyian Civil War
    • Prince William and Kate Middelton Gets Married
    • Osama Bin Laden is Killed by Navy Seals
    • The Bombing and Shooting in Oslo, Norway
    • The 10th Anniversary of 9/11
    • The Occupy Protests
    • The Penn State Football Sex Scandal
    • Other

Well, it's time to wrap up another good year. Tell me, DFAFers what was the best thing that happened in 2011, what was the most inspirational event, the most tragic event, etc.

Should the anniversary of an event (Even one that arguably had the biggest part in shaping the world in the last ten years) even be on the list?

Also the year isn't over yet. There's still 3 weeks, what if Aliens make contact in that time? I'm voting Other in case Aliens arrive in the coming weeks.

I did enjoy Kate and Will's wedding. I mean I know it shouldn't be a big deal. But I did find it inspirational. It's nice to see people get swept up in something positive. The Occupy Protest's impact is yet to be decided, but I got a feeling that it's going to get a lot uglier before this is over.

I'd say the middle eastern revolts, though I think the libyan war has had a much bigger impact

never heard of the The Penn State Football Sex Scandal o.O

I think the Arab Spring events were the most notable, simply because of how much of an impact it had on the world. Agreeing with 'Crow on the Occupy Protests, it's too soon to tell but it'll get bigger and bigger until something comes out of it. Hopefully something for the better, too.

While we're here, let's not get too caught up in the big events and take time to celebrate our own small victories. Helps keep things in perspective

Well this year I got fatter and older and a tiny bit wiser.

I went to Illinois/Missouri which was a big deal because I've only been outside my home state a couple of times in my life.

I discovered the magic of Arrested Development.

And I made the first baby steps to getting my life together so 2012 should hopefully be a big year for me.

I'd say the middle eastern revolts, though I think the libyan war has had a much bigger impact

never heard of the The Penn State Football Sex Scandal o.O

We like to have fun here.

I have to go with the Libyian civil war, considering that it cause one of the other items on the list and may have contributed to two others.

'Prince William and Kate Middelton Gets Married' obv.

I think the Middle East stuff and the Occupy stuff is going to prove to be the biggest. Honestly though asking "what's a bigger deal" is kind of a useless discussion. I do enjoy reflecting on the year though. I've enjoyed myself so much this year. A fine balance between work and play. I look forward to a lot more like it.

I guess we should have a resolutions thread soon, too?

Why do you always "wrap things up" before the year is even over?

If I'm not mistaken, alot of people most places (prolly in the US, too, I'm assuming) get a week or two break sometime in December. So that's the best time to post things like these to get the most feedback. Everyone's home, not busy, and not pre-occupied with the year-end holidays

And y'know, why not? It's not like the forums need less content

^ Indeed.

Regarding the original intention of the topic, I agree about the Libyan Civil War and the Occupy Protests being the biggest events.

And regarding stuff that happened this year, uhh... well...

My family finally sold my late grandmother's house.

I made some awesome new friends, online and otherwise.

I discovered the wonderful fandom that is Psychoville, and also continued to play Psychonauts to death.

And I joined Tumblr. Totally important, I know.

Crap, I forgot about the riots in London and Vancouver.

If I'm not mistaken, alot of people most places (prolly in the US, too, I'm assuming) get a week or two break sometime in December. So that's the best time to post things like these to get the most feedback. Everyone's home, not busy, and not pre-occupied with the year-end holidays

I agree with that ^

But what if something interesting happens tomorrow? Or next week?

But whatever, this forum needs some sort of discussion going on in it

Well, there was a shooting at Virginia Tech yesterday, and today, the U.K. refused to be part of this Euro treaty that would fix the European economy. Almost every year, nothing big really happens in December.

I agree with that ^

Well, there was a shooting at Virginia Tech yesterday, and today, the U.K. refused to be part of this Euro treaty that would fix the European economy. Almost every year, nothing big really happens in December.

Christmas happens!

I agree with that ^

That's a holiday, not an event.

Christmas happens!

everyone on this forum became a pretentious d-bag (^ example) over the last year. is that big news?

everyone on this forum became a pretentious d-bag (^ example) over the last year. is that big news?

Even me? ;_;

No, just no.

speak for yourself

Even me? ;_;

you're cool

speak for yourself

hey HEY

I ain't never say nothing to you not a word

speak for yourself

hey HEY

I ain't never say nothing to you not a word

Yeah Jel don't over react. He only said that everyone on this forum was a d-bag, and a pretentious one at that. Surely that doesn't apply to you. You've no cause to take offense at kodiak's accusation.

I think kodiak is confusing us with a completely different forum. Other than Warrior becoming a worthwhile poster and scarecrow being a little more frank, there is absolutely no change in our behavior. Maybe its also because the extremely "defensive of every single statement that can be even slightly offensive" are gone, though those posts are just ignored anyway.