Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
masquerade

Great games that no one bought (or few heard of.)

So, I thought it may be an idea for us to composite a list of all those games that went under the radar (for most) or vanished without a trace.

Try to keep it to the sneaky-sneaky titles if at all possible. A lot of us know of the sneaky-ohthatswhatitis? titles that have a real cult following; such as Psychonauts, ICO, Killer 7 etc. By all means, we can include such titles, but if you know of a gem that next to no one has heard of-- place it here and suggest why it is so ''shiny,'' in your opinion.

Unfortunately I own a lot of the ''well known'' Slinky's. But only a couple that belong among the ''great unknown''. However, one title that I can't seem to understand why it did not sell is: War of the Monsters, from Incognito Entertainment. The premise is very basic: Aliens have attacked earth, and in their plight to destroy them-- scientists have developed various weapons to bring them down. Hooray! invasion over...

Sadly, with crash landing saucers comes another problem-- radioactive chemicals (why the didn't fuel their saucers with sherbet like the rest of us, I shall never know). Anyway, the radioactive waste has begun to contaminate all manner of things. As a result, the animate and inanimate have begun to mutate into terrifying monsters as tall as skyscrapers!

Now, being a big (pun intended) B-movie fan, I was drooling at the thought. So eventually the game arrived and I was blown away. Stomping around massive cities as gigantic monsters invoked a maniacal chuckle or two. Blood smearing the streets as the tiny ant-like people screamed for their lives as they made effort to flee from my colossal feet. Combat felt meaty and hard-hitting, if simplistic, and the game unbelievably entertaining in Multi-player mode. To such an extent than few would play it with me, due to a 50 kill win streak over my beloved brethren.

But where this game truly shone was within the environments. Cities were massive and could be levelled after 20 mins of carousing with your friends, and some even contained environmental destruction's. Such as Bay city (San Fran-esque): after the city has been levelled-- a massive earthquake occurs which opens an abyss where the ground used to be for around 50% of the terrain. Being thrown, or clumsily falling, into the abyss shall count as a slay. There are various other environment based destruction's. Such as a Flying Saucer hanging over a Tokyo-esque city --and when hit enough-- causes a tsunami in the surrounding sea, which sweeps through the city-- taking anyone foolish enough to be on the ground with it.

Also within this game are various entertaining mini-games such as dodge-ball and city destroy. Not forgetting the surprisingly enjoyable story mode. Which takes your monster through cities as it battles it out with the best of them; all the while the puny humans make effort to stop the destruction via their tanks and army, aswell as the odd ''secret weapon''. Upon completing your monsters story, you obtain a CG movie which tells how they came to be. Such as Congar, a gorilla within the local zoo who became infected with the leaked radiation, then became the towering behemoth. King Kong really, but because it is not licenced they have to make do with an alternative name and tale.

The game truly does the old Monster B-Movies proud. From the art style within the loading screens, reflecting the film posters of the past; to the outdoor movie-theater car park menu screen and monsters themselves.

I demand that at least one of you purchases this game!

So... let the voicing begin (or cease here until the end of days.)

::bathes steaming fingers in a can of beans ::

I have tons of games to put here.

I'll start off with Voodoo Vince. It's a pretty neat platformer for the xbox. It was a good game that I thought was quite well done. I never hear anyone talk about it. Too bad.

I played a demo of that once, it seemed a little bit empty maybe, but kind of cute and cool. I know that my sisters were crazy about it though.

Neat games that nobody else has played or heard of... hmm, Vib Ribbon? Vib Ribbon was super cute and cool. And... I guess nobody ever talks about The Missing Files of Sherlock Holmes, but that was one of the first games I ever played, and it ruled. And Battle Bugs, and The Horde, and Quarintine (I don't actually know if people know about those games or not, possibly everyone does, but still nobody ever talks about them... so... yeah...)

Also I loved this old ... Apogee Software game called... Word Rescue? That game was awesome, even though it was a learning game for kids and I was way too old for it and could spell all the words easily... it was a typical cute, fun apogee platformer :)

I think the COO of Double Fine worked on The Horde... was a producer or something... I vaguely remember reading this somewhere. I could be lying though.

Not sure about this one... never heard of anyone talk about it/have it.

Goosebumps: Escape from Horrorland for the PC. I have very fond memories playing that game. It's an adventure title that was made to be the sequel to the R.L. Stine book. It's totally playable without reading it though.

Plot outline: you and your friend go to a horror theme park to try to rescue her brother and his friend.

I liked how they used live action with it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because it's been so long since I've played it.

What I do know is I had tons of fun playing it and even got some really good scares. Two words: trash cans. You could dive into any one in the game and end up in this underground labyrinth filled with screaming monsters.

I also loved all the sound affects and music.

I loved Vexx. It's ashame that not many people played it or even gave it a chance. One of my top 3 platformer games too. It was also a fantastic game for those who are up to a challenge. Not much writing in it, but for what there was, that and the voice acting was very good.

There were so many things that made this game beautiful. Mainly, it focused on game play. Mix high amounts of action, with platforming, and challenging puzzels and that's what it's like. The controls feel very natural to use too. Also, I can't get over how amazing the environments were and how creative the game was in whole. (Although Psychonauts is my all time favorite game, Vexx comes extreamly close to being my top game.)

Also, it's avalible on GameCube, PS2, and Xbox. Each version is pretty much the same too, except for the controls.

I know a game that I know no one here's heard of, and I also happen to know that you'll love it: Psychonauts! Oh the funness!

Ok, I am part of a cult of two for one of the most unknown games of all time: Amazing Island for the Gamecube.

This title is basically a monster creator. The system really give you unlimited possibilities, but is still easy to use (unlike say.. Magic Pengel. *nudge nudge*)

You choose from about a dozen monster "skeletons" and are then set loose to draw each arm, leg, head, or other bit of your crazy beast your God-complex mind sees fit to create. You can choose how much to "inflate" each piece to set how thick it is. Of course, if you abuse the skeleton system like me, you can create all sorts of wacky stuff with floating heads and arms...

Then you get set loose with a bunch of cool knick-knack accessories that you can put on the featureless monster.

Sure, there are all sorts of eyes, claws, teeth and other monster like things... but how about a chimney? Some antlers and cop-car lights? Done!

The more you play through Amazing Island's poor-to-ok minigames with your monsters, the more cool toys you get to play with. And there are hundreds. I still don't have them all!

Based on the skeleton you pick, the game animates the monster for you as it follows you around and competes in the games. If you break the rules a bit, this can also end in some interesting results...

Undoubtedly, this little gem of a game was never picked up by even mothers buying for their children because of the horrendus boxart, which manages to feature a human.. guy that is not at all like the main character and a bunch of poorly rendered monsters that don't even scratch the surface of what you can do.

(That, and I don't think that the "Pokemon meets Mario Party, what could go wrong??" tagline really motivated anyone.)

The plot is REALLY poor, and you'll only play through it to unlock all of the other great monster-drawing tools that allow you to nudge, warp, square, and smooth your drawings.

Sorry for this fangirl rant, but this game was pushed under the rug by Sega, and it's really sad! If ever a game needs to be on the Wii or DS, this is it. The drawing would be a lot easier.

If you want a copy of this game today, it's going to be pretty rough. It's impossible to find it at an EB/Gamestop, so you'll have to hit eBay, most likely. I got my copy used from Blockbuster.

Give it a shot if your the creative (or dare I say, twisted) type! Happy hunting!

The greatest of games seem to stick with you, and to no small degree was I inspired by the original Lumines. There was perfect synchronization between the melodious sounds, stirring beats, and puzz-tacular gameplay. It was hard to find in stores, I recall, and at the time, none of my friends had heard of it. Now, the series has gained slightly more publicity, but the original still eludes most gamers. Top Tracks include Whoop-De-Do, Brash, and Fly Into The Sky.

Earthbound is Another Mind-Expanding example of Awesome. The Gameplay was sort of derivative, but had a lot of adventure-game-y elements mixed in with the RPG. The New Age Retro Hippie is perhaps the single most Awesome enemy ever crafted for an RPG, Period.

Finally, perhaps the adventure game most influential to me in my early youth, Ron Gilbert's Pajama Sam. One of the lesser known adventure gaming Gems, in it, you play a kid who has to conquer his fear of the dark by Defeating Darkness. The Art Style was decidedly psycho-delic, and some of the characters were completely insane. Burgeios Trees, A Singing Fridge, and The Vegetable Liberation Front, all brilliant creations, and given true life by solitary writer Dave Grossman, who I'm sure we all remember from his work with Lucasarts. The Parent Company, Humongous Entertainment, is now sadly, defunct, but the original and its sequels are now free on Gametap, FTW. I played it a lot as a kid, and it really influenced my drawing style, as well as my admiration for the overly trippy.

I loved Pajama Sam, and all the humongous adventures <3

Here's a pretty good game that NOBODY bought...

OUT OF ORDER!

Of course, nobody bought it because it's freeware. =P But it's a pretty good (and funny) adventure game. Though I did need the walkthrough to get past some puzzles. @_@;

And I thought of picking up Amazing Island, but I probably didn't because I'm broke and hadn't heard of it before (so didn't know if it were good or not). Graffiti Kingdom is pretty sweet, by the makers of Pengel, but I didn't like Pengel at all. GK is fairly easy to use, imho.

Here's a pretty good game that NOBODY bought...

OUT OF ORDER!

Of course, nobody bought it because it's freeware. =P But it's a pretty good (and funny) adventure game. Though I did need the walkthrough to get past some puzzles. @_@;

Hey! I've played that! Might have been a while ago, but I remember playing it.

Unfortunately, the big downfall of some adventure games (for me) is that the solution to the puzzles never occurs to me and I have to look it up, heh heh. But I still enjoyed it.

I am... the URBAN LEOPARD!

I'm also gonna add Kya: Dark Lineage. Pretty neat platformer for the PS2. I really liked it. Dirt cheap now too.

Are we only talking about games for recent consoles?

For if we are talking more ancient, i go for Story of Thor-apparently it was also called Beyond Oasis-for the Sega Mega Drive II.

That was a mui good game: first RPG i ever played, an action RPG at that; first game that i played that actually allowed to save ones game. The action was beautifully balanced, the graphics were very high standard, the music was good, and the story was good to great: lol the ending actually had a tear at my eye!

It worked on the concept of utilising the spirits of the Golden Armband, or something like that, against the user of the Silver one. The spirits greatly added to the gameplay, offering for a great variety of options for exploration, puzzle solving and defeating enemies. Simply put: a great game!!

Anyone remember Earthworm Jim? Thats probably not an obscure one, but twas most good.

Recents..."shrugs shoulders" im afraid that i have also the unknown popular ones-ah, perhaps apart from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a kick-ass RPG. Lets put it this way: its Pokemon, but for mature adults-you collect demons, and you do it with style. Its Pokemon, on anfetamines, steroids and rock'n'roll, what more do you want?

Are we only talking about games for recent consoles?

Anyone remember Earthworm Jim? Thats probably not an obscure one, but twas most good.

I wouldn't mind if people pointed out great oldschool games. Especially if they're available through one of the many virtual console services around these days so that I can pick them up myself.

Earthworm Jim? The wacky humor was really something else for the time! After Mario, I think we all got a kick out of Princess What's-her-face.

(Wasn't there a TV show?)

Yay for Earthworm Jim!! I tell thee though, never properly got past the 3rd level, you know the ones were you use the one-person submarine? Damnit, that submarines controls were perhaps the worst possible water-exploration controls ever, not to mention that damnable fragile sub, AAARRGGHHH!! Thank the all-mighty lord for cheat codes lol!!

Lol dont know if it counts, but my fiancee has very fond memories of Flimbo's Quest, i believe for the Amiga.

Thats a good thought: peeps, put games from the Saturn and Dreamcast: so many are unheard, and as far as i understand so many are great!

What about the Oddworld games? Both Stranger Wrath and Munche's Oddyessey for the Xbox were great but no one ever ayed any attention to those. Same with the Otogi game for the Xbox. Maybe I just have a strange taste in games.

I know of two, beyond good and evil (cant get anymore) and American Mcgee's Alice (making a new game called "grim tales" from teh grim tales) Both really good games, hard to come by, AND TRIBES !!!! ^_^ gotta love the oldies......well no one plays it anymore so.......

American Mcgee's Alice (making a new game called "grim tales" from teh grim tales)

Oh, yeah, I saw that on Gametap or something, but it's not even out. How can you say if it's good yet? D:

I know you arn't clairvoiant either. That's me. You do have those snazzy Harry Potter powers though. (Sweet)

But yeah, I also want to try that game. Concept sounds pretty cool. it also sounds like something I was writing about originaly, then I found out about that and I was all "Son of a female dog. Why does this always happen to me...?"

......>.< awwwwww, they did gone and stole our idea T_T, I just think that the game sounds neat and the previous one is good (they are even making a movie of it [preproduction]) and "RICTA SEMPRA!" *tickle attk* ^_^

Yea Beyond Good and Evil is Freakin' amazing! That is one of my favorite games for the xbox. Same with Oddworld. I loved Stranger's Wrath. But, I couldn't really get into Munch's game.

I keep hearing about the Alice game. I'm going to have to check that out now. Sounds kinda neat.

Oh, and I'm also going to recommend Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Amazing game to me. Sort of slow paced, but worth it if you have the patience.

I'm seconding what was said about Earthbound and Pajama Sam. Earthbound is amazing and Pajama Sam remains really entertaining these days, I played Humongous games a lot as a kid :)

Beyond Good & Evil is also absolutely fantastic. Haven't managed to finish it yet, but amazing nonetheless.

Putt-Putt rules ... I'm glad I'm not the only person who played Putt-Putt... though I was about 14 when I played it, when the rest of you were about 8...

I played them repeatedly for years... and their sequels. Like Putt-Putt saves the Zoo and Freddy 2 and 3.

So you're not alone on the aged 14 thing. Haha.

Beyond Good and evil was quite enjoyable. However, there were a fair few elements that became rather tedious after a while. Such as some of the stealth and hovercraft sections. I did not really understand why they made a beautiful world and ocean only to have you wander through dimly-lit factories. But it was entertaining all-in-all.

I have mentioned it once or twice prior to this, but Fahrenheit was rather special. More of an interactive film than a game (or so it claims to be). But what it really offered was choice; something which I have yet to see implemented so well in a video game. Decisions need to be made swiftly, as the cops bear down on you, or the killer makes his escape. You play both the hunter and the hunted with a third party rolling the dice which determines your fate. The story actually reacts to those decisions you make, for better or worse. Making mistakes or doing something hastily, may come back to haunt you later on in the game. Your character also has a stress meter, which is rather unique. Growing gradually more and more depressed as time winds on, should they continue to make the wrong decisions. Certainly an original take on gaming.

OMG "havarte? Provalone!" ^_^ I LOVED pajama sam, and that racecar game.....and i remember monster school, adn they would go into a "haunted house" i never found the secret that you would have to find when you went through, i remember a part with "mongolia" and it showed a "mongolian monster...." it was reall weird but neat ^_^

My step sister was into put-put. And I was older then 14 when it came out. I hated it so much because she played it all the time and it annoyed me. I personally never tried it.

Pajama sam sounds familiar. I'm not sure if she had that one too. Does it have a kid with like a towel for a cape?

And not to derail this thread, but did anyone ever play a game with a kid who coverd up his face in like a big blue trench coat and you had to go around a haunted mansion that had robots that you had to take pictures of and try to solve their riddles? I know this sounds loving nuts, but it's been buggin me trying to remember this one lately.

Also the Maximo games ( Ghosts to Goblins and Army of Zin)for PS2 rule.

I never got to finish the game, Beyond good and evil, i was at the final boss and i could not beat the second half, and now they don't sell it anymore.....T_______T even at beyondgoodandevil.com.....WAAAAAAAAAA.....and does anyone remember the arthur games, OMG and those HORRID BARBIE games......ugh.....(i have a box full of old games that i have not gotten rid of from 6 on up) and i STILL jave put-put saves the zoo...and some Arthur games.....OH, OH, remember "Doug"? with patty mayonase?

I never got to finish the game, Beyond good and evil, i was at the final boss and i could not beat the second half, and now they don't sell it anymore.....T_______T even at beyondgoodandevil.com.....WAAAAAAAAAA.....

You can still play it at Gametap, though.

But it's one of that games that needs a subscription.

Sign in to follow this