Sign in to follow this  
Katez

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

I saw it today and wow was it awesome!!!

I want to talk about it with someone else who's already seen it so! Who else has seen it, I want to glub about it with you!

this will be a spoiler zone :u

I can tell you this, based on the ending, I think there will be a Sherlock Holmes 3. I love the part when Holmes was dressed as a lady.

I really think there will be, as well! I'm excited, though I probably shouldn't be. Considering it took three years to get from A to B, I don't think I should hold my breath for C. xD

I'm meaning to go see it at some point. Not sure when. But hopefully... :'D

Also excited about BBC Sherlock, not to derail the topic so soon (you should all watch that, by the way; it's amazing).

I just saw SH2 recently and can chime in!

I thought the first one was entertaining, but was actually a little disappointed that they made it into more of an action flick than a detective story. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law were a pretty great pair though and I liked their acting.

SH2 is more of the same, however, this time I liked it a lot more. Not sure why. If anything, there were more explosions and craziness, but the story seemed more compelling for some reason. Oh and

when Irene Adler (Rachael McAdams) dies in the beginning I was guessing that she didn't actually die and would reappear somehow at the end. Later when they introduced the gypsy woman and they mentioned the letter saying "you will never see my face again.." I made the weird guess that perhaps Irene had plastic surgery and was actually the gypsy woman. This turned out not to be true (at least as far as the end of this movie), but I did hit upon the plastic surgery part.

So now to add to my evergrowing collection of books I need to read is the entire Sherlock Holmes series. I've only read two of them in the past (A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of the Baskervilles)

*loud and overlong gasping noise*

I'm just finishing a reread of the original books-- I haven't read them in years! I'm coming up to the end of His Last Bow at the moment- if you like audiobooks, audible has a great collection of ALL THE STORIES AND NOVELS read by a REALLY GREAT READER! It's a bit spendy but it is all of them in chronological order!

Other non-ACD SH stories I seriously SERIOUSLY recommend are Dust and Shadow by oh god I can't remember his/her name, which is holmes' study of the Ripper murders, and The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which is a collection of supernatural-themed/based short stories including ones by Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Naomi Novik, and Mary Robinette Kowal, and a ton of others and they are all amazing.

I'll have to check out those non-ACD books- really interested in how Neil Gaiman and Stephen King would have written for him.

Also, I never thought of listening to SH through audio; I might do that as a quick way to get through them all.

---

btw- I thought it was ridiculous in the first SH movie how he was portrayed as being a pit fighter. I was quite surprised then to later find out that ACH actually wrote that SH was trained as a boxer. Guess it was a clever way of portraying it in the films. Also, I think I heard before that in the nineteenth century before the widespread knowledge of Eastern martial arts, boxing and French Savate fighting were actually respected skills similar to fencing or shooting.

Saw it today. It was incredible. I like that they delved even further in the boy's club nature of Holme's psyche. They'll never be gay for each other in the technical sense, but I'm not sure Holmes can actually feel the same way for a woman that he does about Watson. And they totally sell that relationship with their interactions too, RDJ and Jude Law have more chemistry then a dozen romantic couples I've seen in movies and TV this year.

Also when Holmes outsmarted Moriarty by doing something completely selfless and insane, I loved that moment, they were complete equals except that Holmes would rather destroy himself then see his friend's life and happiness come to harm. made me tear up a little.

Also Stephen Fry as Mycroft!?! Brilliant!

Also even though this movie is all about the boys. Noomi Rapace and Kelly Reilly (Not to mention

Rachel McAdams

are all incredibly delicious looking. And I think that they're all competent characters who get their moments to shine.

Interesting, Scarecrow. Did you realize you posted the above comment at exactly 12 midnight Greenwich Mean Time on January the first 2012? Almost as if it were planned as such..

Doesn't take a (wait for it) - a World's Best Detective to figure that out. (Or perhaps a Dect in your case?)