Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Saoirse

Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's :( :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7141458.stm

:'( :'(

:'(

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet."

He told fans the statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead".

"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else," he said.

:') :') :')

.... :'(

I think I just died a little inside. ;_;

He shall forever remain my king and lord. I have still only read about 1/3 of his books, but it is pleasing to hear he is in good spirits and shall continue to write while he can. His wit certainly is unmatched.

''Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.''

I shall now take the time to urge everyone to buy Hogfather. The perfect Hogswatch tale.

Aw man. That sucks. My grandpa had Alzheimer's. It's a truly terrible thing. Hopefully he will be all right, and continue doing what he loves.

You know... I was just thinking...

...Doublefine is probably the only company that could make a true-to-spirit game set in the diskworld universe...

It could be about the invention of the software industry in Diskworld ^.^ Enemy = conspiricy to bring down the "evil medium"

You know... I was just thinking...

...Doublefine is probably the only company that could make a true-to-spirit game set in the diskworld universe...

I think you are forgetting the first 3 games. All of which were thoroughly entertaining. It would not really work as an action-esque game and apparently DF are not(?) going to do P&C;adventures.

Discworld Noir

Why the hell does a semi-colon always appear after P&C;?! Regardless of whether or not it was placed.

Indeed it is sad news: Terry is one of the great ones. The amazing thing is that, all the books ive read from him (and im not saying ive read a huge amount), are all great! Great wit, great writing, great stories, they are all of the very highest standard.

So Terry, as with many great writers, you will always live on through your fans and your books. Isnt that the greatest reward for any bookwriter?

This... sucks. Terry's a great, great author and very much not full of himself, which is hard considering how great he actually is.

I hope he'll live a long time before the badness kicks in, and once it does, that it's quick and relatively free of suffering for him and his family.

I second that St Mort.

On related news, another writer has recently died too: do we know of Robert Jordan, of The Wheel of Time fame? I did not like the books personally, but I hear that he did not get to finish the last book in the series (and peeps, this is a 12 or so long books series), which must be an awful, awful thing for a professional writer.

So i sincerely hope that the same thing does not happen to Mr Pratchett, and he gets to finish what he wants to finish before things go bad.

I second that St Mort.

On related news, another writer has recently died too: do we know of Robert Jordan, of The Wheel of Time fame? I did not like the books personally, but I hear that he did not get to finish the last book in the series (and peeps, this is a 12 or so long books series), which must be an awful, awful thing for a professional writer.

So i sincerely hope that the same thing does not happen to Mr Pratchett, and he gets to finish what he wants to finish before things go bad.

Heh, he is not yet crossing the rive Styx.

The Discworld series has no conclusion, so I think he shall just continue his ideas for as long as he can. Each book stands alone and can be read in any order. But there is a very vague time line between the books, and with the occasional mention of an incident happening elsewhere in another tale.

His daughter may become his literary heir, but I do not believe he, or I for that matter, would be happy allowing another to take up his beloved series.

My grandmother has had Alzheimer's for almost 6 years now. She is now 80 and rarely speaks and requires constant attention, but it is by no means an instant thing. Considering Pratchett is quite young, it may be a while yet before it fully takes hold. So I think folks should maintain their support for his work, rather than regarding him as already lost.

Ah i agree he is not lost, but he will be lost eventually, and that is sad; thats how i see it.

As for the books i agree, they are mostly stand-alone, albeit there are various mini-series of 3 books or so, but even those ones can be read by themselves. No, what i meant is i hope that he will not be in the midts of a book when it gets real bad, and hence be unable to finish it; or i hope that he will be able to finish the overriding literary goal before it gets too bad.

Sign in to follow this