Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Katez

The Unofficial DFAF Gender Politics Discussion Thread.

Legs only have tights for protection,arms are fairly open,head is completely unprotected. Weapons are medium range at best and require a certain amount of strength or agility to use effectively. Armor is top heavy. It's not really practical armor and honestly,she looks like she's walking out in the open which even the most armored of soldiers wouldn't do. As this seems to be a permutation of Wonder Woman,I'd suggest sniping her head off if it isn't and a flamethrower if it is. End result,pretty much a dead woman walking.

As for gender politics in general,I'd have to say that since it's politics it must therefore be based on bullshit and not the needs and wants of the individual. Ergo,it's not a good idea to live your life by them and given the choice,I'll take a flawed,relatable character like Derpy Hooves over some idealize girl Superman who's so OP that there's never any doubt how a story about them is going to end. Just like I'd rather watch a Goofy cartoon over pre-Crisis Superman comics. There's a reason they powered him down,you know.

I still don't get what was so "bad" about the whole Lara almost gets raped thing. I mean,hot chick in short shorts at the mercy of men of low moral fiber,what do you really think is going to happen? And she knees him in the junk and shoots him in the face for it. How is that not empowering? I mean,they do the same thing in Farcry 3. You're a dude at the mercy of slavers and they're talking about "having some fun with you before the ransom comes". Which means they're probably not going to do anything visibly damaging. Which implies sodomy could very well be what they're alluding to. At the very least you're gonna be their punching bag. If they let you live at all. Not seeing a lot of difference there. The Hitman sexy nun squad thing,that was complete nonsense and I get why people were pissed about that. Doesn't make logical sense to ditch the disguises so early in the mission and pull out rocket launchers and machine guns. Apparently "stealth" means "be as hard to miss as possible". And no one likes to see sexy women getting killed. At least I don't.

And then there's Princess Peach. Frankly,she's received more characterization than anyone else in the Mario series. Honestly,how much do you know about Mario as a person? Favorite food? Book? Movie? What music does he listen to? Now how much of that is addressed in the games and not some trivia card? Peach is a product of the Mario series writing which honestly was never really good. Yes,she's a two dimensional character. Surrounded by one dimensional characters. What do you really want from them? It's a stupid kid's game. I don't see you demanding Shakespeare from Dora the Explorer. It's all simple concepts to get down to the actual game. So basically,we have Lara dealing with adult stories and situations and powering through them and that's not good enough. And then you have Peach who's all girly and sweet and strong in her own way and that's not good enough. So we end up with a "damned if you do,damned if you don't" situation,and that's why writers don't write female characters that much. Even female writers. It basically goes back to the lesson of "The Taming of the Shrew". If nothing is good enough for you,then nothing is what you'll get.

As for feminism,the problem I have with it is it's really a failure in several ways. First off,it's not really liberating women. Especially not sexually. One would think one of the main inequalities between men and women would be addressed by a group all about women's lib and all,but they're just as repressive as the traditional roles of women. Basically playing up just about any form of sexual contact between men and women as being about "enslaving the female". It really just trades one unrealistic gender role for another. Instead of being a submissive housewife,they're expected to be super women who balance everything,job,romance,personal needs,all on their own with no help from anyone,especially men. And it completely ignores the fact some women WANT to be housewives. And I've never known a woman to be submissive. Oh,they're nice about it,but no matter how sweetly they put it,they let you know there'll be hell to pay if you don't do what they want when they want it. And,of course,by it's very name,it's pretty much exclusive only to women and their rights and a lot of the smarter feminists are starting to realize you can't change the role of one thing without changing the roles of everyone else.

You wanna be liberated? Sit down with yourself and decide what YOU want. Not what society,in any form,tells you to want. If it's not gonna hurt anyone,I say go for it. If it is gonna hurt someone,it'd better have some major greater good behind it. Otherwise,you're just another jerk hurting people for no reason. In fact,you might end up that way anyway,so if it's gonna hurt someone,give it some more thought til you can come up with a way it doesn't hurt someone. But mostly,you just need to come to terms with what you want and think of ways to get it. Being reasonable and telling people what you want plainly and simply is usually a good starting point.

And that's my take on it.

Then the armor is completely useless and serves no function at all because anyone who's going to pick a fight with a superhuman isn't going to be put off by armor. So why not run around in a saucy one piece that at least looks hot? I hate to break it to you,but armor is worn for function,not fashion and it is NOT comfortable. You wear it cause it protects you. If it doesn't protect you,there's no reason to wear it,ergo,you wouldn't. You've just argued her out of the armor and back into her old costume. Which I approve of.

I've pretty much already explained it once. If you're not even going to try to understand my posts,why do you bother responding to them?

That metal is heavy and uncomfortable and you wouldn't wear it in large amounts if you didn't have to. Pretty simple concept,really. Can't imagine anyone disagreeing with the point.

So a woman wearing make up and heels in body armor that'd only slow down a character who uses her agility for defense,thus lowering her ability to defend herself effectively is badass now. I mean the shoulder pieces alone would block any attempt to stop a head shot with her bracers. If it's made of the same stuff as her bracers,she's not going be able to tear through them even with her super strength due to their magical nature,which means she's taking a bullet to the face. And if they aren't,she'll rip 'em off in the block attempt and more likely than not end up cutting herself,making the armor less than useless. The more I look at it the less it makes sense. How is this useful or badass?

And how do you forget the topic of a discussion you started? Seriously,if you're not going to put any effort into this,I really don't see the point in going on.

I'm not offended,I just think it's a poor choice of attire for an agility character like Wonder Woman. It's like putting a ninja in a suit of armor and expecting him to be as agile and stealthy as when he was in his cloth ninja suit. It's just not going to work.

Why does any of that matter, though

Why are we in the GP thread discussing an alternate Wonder Woman design

I mean, it's just kind of out of place, isn't it?

The pic Bookers posted was okay, because at least from that we can discuss broader topics like female portrayals in comics and stuff that could branch out further, but it devolved into who's an authority on what Wonder Woman is supposed to wear and why

And I like those kind of discussions, but it doesn't really fit here

Because Merlynn seems to spend all his time here finding the dumbest things to get pissed about.

I wish everyone could just ignore him. Did he ever contributed anything positive or worthwhile down here?

Yeah,that's what I thought. Gibbering insanity and then the "moral high road" bit. And this is what passes for conversation these days. I am depressed.

Okay, Merlynn. Take a step back and think.

What have you contributed to this thread besides giving us a laundry list of what you don't like and why on a number of things we've discussed?

What kind of conversation were you hoping to find here?

Putting in my opinion? Which is what most people do? That's kind of how forums work. I hate to break it to you,but this one's kinda dead and I was trying to contribute to the community. Unfortunately,it seems it's a community that wants to slowly waste away to nothing so I'm not going to bother any more. Scarecrow's sighting phantom posts that simply don't exist. I mean,he and Feddlefew were the only ones who responded to my post and they were both on about the armor thing and he's saying there were several responses from other people that I just don't see. So the whole thing comes down to why the hell am I bothering? Either they're all nuts or I am and I don't really want to try anymore. I have better ways to waste my time than this.

So in summation,SEE YA' LATER,FUCKERS!!! (disappears into the interweb)

Yeah, but like I said alot of your opinion boils to down to "No sir, I don't like it. I don't like any of it"

And that's it.

The other problem is you're putting in your opinion on a topic that you have absolutely no idea about. And you're kind of being an asshole about everything, pretty much. You're not more right about anyone on anything in this thread, but you sure are acting like it

Putting in my opinion? Which is what most people do? That's kind of how forums work. I hate to break it to you,but this one's kinda dead and I was trying to contribute to the community. Unfortunately,it seems it's a community that wants to slowly waste away to nothing so I'm not going to bother any more. Scarecrow's sighting phantom posts that simply don't exist. I mean,he and Feddlefew were the only ones who responded to my post and they were both on about the armor thing and he's saying there were several responses from other people that I just don't see. So the whole thing comes down to why the hell am I bothering? Either they're all nuts or I am and I don't really want to try anymore. I have better ways to waste my time than this.

So in summation,SEE YA' LATER,FUCKERS!!! (disappears into the interweb)

INbDA.gif

Well there goes the savior of the entire forum.

Don't you know, the only way to save the forum is to barely post and belittle everyone who tries to have a discussion with you? We should all follow his example.

Yeah, crow, cut it with those reaction .gifs in this thread.

I'm trying to decide if I want to read through today's posts. On the one hand I'm curious about what Xe said, on the other I'm pretty certain that it's just the laundry list of common misinformation and myths.

Edit: I also think crow might have been referring to discussions we've had in the Happy Treasures thread and earlier in this thread and elsewhere. I know we've talked about Mass Effect and Dragon Age armor.