Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Haveyougotamic

Solo survival

The only way to find out is to try it yourself, but the piercing sniper turret is a very serious upgrade over the ironclad one when it comes to groups and jacobs.

I would guess that you could probably subtract a good 10 waves from your expectations if you are using the ironclad instead.

I was able to run a solo Swamp and make it to 85 and yeah those buggy Jacobs are a real pain. I got lucky I think in that they would always get stuck behind the behemoth tubes and just sit there. Around level 80 though I had a hard time keeping up with killing them and would sit there for a couple waves while I focused on more pressing needs.

At the time I ran a honeychurch with two perferators, piercing sniper, DG, ICP, and Super Shredder. I think next time I'll swap out SSMG for a camo shotgun and an albert and try and push for 100.

These buggy jacobs also appear in the other survival modes from what I've seen. I can't be sure about Hospital but I've definitely seen it in Settlement which would lead me to believe they're also in Hospital

Good to know, this means it won't happen every single game so if I just keep at it with my honey church I will eventually get a game where it doesn't happen.

Good to know, this means it won't happen every single game so if I just keep at it with my honey church I will eventually get a game where it doesn't happen.

Keep in mind that I think I got a little bit lucky as most of the jacobs got stuck behind the Amps. Though I definitely think 100 is attainable

Hmm. I always place fully upgraded camos by each spawn spot as soon as I can (before I build backwards to base) like this:

CST CST CST

CST Prod CST

CST CST CST

So that they will shoot at the Jacobs right away as they step out one at a time into the map...

Anyway, these days I find using 2 perferators with sprint legs is better than getting stuck to one spot in fortify/quickload just to get faster shots of 4...

since in the later rounds all you need to do is to take out purely Jacobs and let your turrets kill whatever is on the map...

The cammo shotguns are great if the jacobs travel with other tubes since the spray of pellets will often accidentally hit the jacobs as they shotguns open fire on their buddies that are standing next to them, but for those buggy waves of jacobs where they spawn with nothing to protect they are just as useless as every other turret but mines. Even dampeners don't work on the bugged jacobs. They sprint past them like they don't exist and there is no turret in the game that will target them.

You just can't kill a dozen or so buggy jacobs in time before they reach and completely level your base. I was on lvl 67 in the swamp on a solo run with both of my bases over 80% health the last time I ran into the bugged jacobs. I think there were roughly about ten of them. I opened fire on them with a grenade launcher pretty much from the moment the spawned until the moment my base died. I just couldn't kill them fast enough. I think there was one or two jacobs reamaining when the base finally went up in smoke. If you are an engineer, and you pretty much have to be on a solo run, you just don't have the firepower to kill them in time. It was taking something like a few dozen grenades each to kill the evil things.

Hmmm, perhaps the super shocker grenade launcher would work... I was using the magnet cluster shock version, but it doesn't stun for very long. The super shocker is an inferior gun except that its stun is highly effective. Perhaps I could pin the whole group long enough to actually kill them before the base goes down.

Yeah, I've gotten to Wave 90 on Swamp solo and I could easily hit 100 if not for the glitched Jacobs. I forget if they're glitched on Hospital also but I've gotten to 89 solo on there. I tried camo shotguns but they're not too effective, you're better off getting extra scrap from a Super Shredder MG (although, once I get into the 80s, I have nothing but Sniper Turrets/Dampeners/Collection Pods on the map). Really wish they would fix these bugs. Amplifiers not working, glitched Jacobs, weapon problems, etc...

Anyway, while I've gotten to 89/90 on Hospital/Swamp, I've only gotten to wave 67 on Settlement by myself. I just don't know how to start off the first 30 waves and dunno where the best emplacements spots are for those first 30 waves (places where knobs/BT's won't destroy them but they'll still do their job).

It encouraging to hear from others that the glitched jacobs aren't a sure thing. I have been rather unlucky in that I have run into them 4 times in a row in swamp all in the mid to upper 60's waves. They are always what ends my game there, unless I am doing something silly like messing around with an assault mech or something.

I'm not sure which I prefer, camo shotguns or shredders. I solo with a Honey Church so I can only pick one of them. Both have served me well. The shotguns tend to do a lot of damage and act a bit like light weight mines. They soften up jacobs nicely and they fill in all those spaces on the map where you can't put regular turrets like the spawns and tube paths. On the other hand the shredders toast knobs and other trash tubes turning them into mountains of scrap. The increase in scrap is awesome. The shredders themselves do little damage in the long run, but the sniper canons you upgrade with the mountains of scrap are devastating.

The jacobs are definitely annoying in large groups when they're not guarding anything. The best piece of advice I can give is instead of shooting into them and trying to kill them yourself, try separating them one at a time. When they're far enough away from each other, turrets do fire on them. The only way for this to work, though, is if you have enough dampeners along the way to slow the pack. You'll also need dampeners right next to the base. They don't just slow down tube's movement...they also slow down their attack rate. Which means if a large group of tubes does hit your base, it won't be as devastating.

Hole punchers and shock grenades are good for this tactic. Just pick a jacob to focus on and peel him off until your turrets finish him. Rinse and repeat. Another tactic is to just push them off the path/hill/bridge one at a time (obviously not effective on flat paths) The isolated jacob will have no choice but find a different path to either rejoin the tubes or attack a base...an easy target for your turrets.

The jacobs are definitely annoying in large groups when they're not guarding anything. The best piece of advice I can give is instead of shooting into them and trying to kill them yourself, try separating them one at a time. When they're far enough away from each other, turrets do fire on them. The only way for this to work, though, is if you have enough dampeners along the way to slow the pack. You'll also need dampeners right next to the base. They don't just slow down tube's movement...they also slow down their attack rate. Which means if a large group of tubes does hit your base, it won't be as devastating.

Hole punchers and shock grenades are good for this tactic. Just pick a jacob to focus on and peel him off until your turrets finish him. Rinse and repeat. Another tactic is to just push them off the path/hill/bridge one at a time (obviously not effective on flat paths) The isolated jacob will have no choice but find a different path to either rejoin the tubes or attack a base...an easy target for your turrets.

Thanks for the tip. I never realized separating them from the group will make the turrets start working correctly. I always do put dampeners by the base along with camo shot guns if I have them that way if anything does make it through they are seriously hampered and disrupted. The shotguns actually are pretty good for knock back. Just even having 4 or 5 plopped down without an upgrade will make the tubes dance quite a bit instead of attacking.

When I go solo I use the massive magnet launcher or albert most of the time. My next run will be with the super shocker since I think its superior shock ability might be enough to halt and split those jaccobs. The magnet launcher does shock but it is brief. The hole punchers are great guns but I don't like them as my only guns due to their terrible range and lack of shock. They actually do deal out more damage per second than all of the shock grenade launchers against a single target but I mostly use them as the third slot filler under my grenades on the heavier trenches.

Just remembered a tip used in solo, but also works in groups depending on where everyone is:

Make the blitzers work for you.

Remember that when a blitzer explodes, it damages every tube near it.

So for example early in Settlement, a group of blitzers may come out

at the same time as an Arty going to orange (and/or Bursts going to green, etc).

If you sprint to the Arty and stand so you are touching it while shooting it,

the blitzers who are trying to kill you will also help you kill the Arty when they explode.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5250/

From the developers of the game, Mr. MooEar, is Brad Muir... I have never seen multiple Jacobs attacked by turrets. I'll be sure to try this out and report back the results.

To any who have made it past lvl 70 on solo swamp, how did you get past these damn buggy jacobs?!

I have done the Hospital solo more than once... I would recommend a honeychurch loaded with SSMG,DG,ICP and PST. Loaded out with hole puchers. Try to place the PSTs so they are effectively cross targeting the tube approaches; they will knockdown more Jacobs than you would think. Upgraded PSTs take out some of those "buggy" jacobs, the hole puchers should handle the rest.

That is actually the same set up I often use other than the hole punchers. I tend to prefer the massive magnet launcher although I have used the hole punchers before and they are a solid choice.

As a rule of thumb whenever I set up a piercing sniper I take a good look at its line of sight. I kind of imagine myself as the sniper turret and what it is going to be firing at. I try to pick spots that are down low and will have a nice angle on the tailing jacobs. The snipers turrets will take out huge numbers of jacobs but they won't touch the buggy ones I was talking about. I have never found a turret that will fire on these jacobs that are protecting nothing. Pretty much they spawn alone in a group of 8 - 12, sprint to the base while ignoring the effects of dampeners and not a single turret on the map will fire.

I run up to them and open fire on them for the entire length of their sprint to the base but you just can't kill them quick enough. The massive magnet launcher I use tends to do about the same amount of damage as the hole punchers on large groups but less on single targets. It does stun though which helps a bit with this damned jacobs that don't follow the rules. I think I will start using the inferior super shocker launcher just for the extra long stun.

I am pretty sure that the buggy jacobs will set off mines even though they won't be targeted by normal turrets or even be effected by dampeners.

I tried doing a solo run with the selker and mines but the lack of dampeners really hurt as did the scrap I kept losing.

That is actually the same set up I often use other than the hole punchers. I tend to prefer the massive magnet launcher although I have used the hole punchers before and they are a solid choice.

As a rule of thumb whenever I set up a piercing sniper I take a good look at its line of sight. I kind of imagine myself as the sniper turret and what it is going to be firing at. I try to pick spots that are down low and will have a nice angle on the tailing jacobs. The snipers turrets will take out huge numbers of jacobs but they won't touch the buggy ones I was talking about. I have never found a turret that will fire on these jacobs that are protecting nothing. Pretty much they spawn alone, sprint to the base while ignoring the effects of dampeners and not a single turret on the map will fire.

I run up to them and open fire on them for the entire length of their sprint to the base but you just can't kill them quick enough. The massive magnet launcher I use tends to do about the same amount of damage as the hole punchers on large groups but less on single targets. It does stun though which helps a bit with this damned jacobs that don't follow the rules. I think I will start using the inferior super shocker launcher just for the extra long stun.

I am pretty sure that the buggy jacobs will set off mines even though they won't be targeted by normal turrets or even be effected by dampeners.

I tried doing a solo run with the selker and mines but the lack of dampeners really hurt as did the scrap I kept losing.

Placing the turrets low helps on the bridge, however both the short and long side approaches are on slopes... Having the turrets placed higher gives the PST a better shot at taking out the jacobs. I used this this weekend to solo swamp for a 100 run. The higher turrets and the lower turret combination is really what you want to get to by the final 20 or so waves... Yup! I know what you mean about the rouge jacob waves! Hole Puncher w/ Fiesta 6(really like that combo) is what I recommend.

Question: Do you put up the knob stopping turrets at the bridge and the long side conduits?

Yeah I put up dampeners pretty much the entire length of every path the tubes walk. There are some sorta buggy spots like right on the side of the conduit where you can stick them and the knobs and bursters can't get them also inside the stones of the bridge etc. By the time I am at about wave 40 the whole map is covered in sniper turrets both high and low. I love placing them on the tanks and other spots where they can get a clean shot under and over the bridge but in the end the whole level is packed with them. There are some good spot on the edges of the forest as well.

I use very few shredders. Basically I have one scrap/knob frying trap that I run down the left side of the bride that consists of a couple of shredders that are maxed and that's it aside from the one I put up on the side of that far spawn with a dampener. Everything else is just sniper turrets and dampeners. I actually found that if I put snipers down on the right side of the bridge but not on the ledge where the bursters can reach them that they actually perform quite well so long as it is later in the game when knobs won't get anywhere near them. They get some nice clean shot at that far spawn were they tend to hit the jacobs often and they even tend to hit the jacobs when they have to fire backwards in those rare instances that they make it across the bridge with a willie. I just have to make sure they are in that narrow strip that won't be hit by willies or bursters.

I just tried this again and I think I have spotted a big part of the problem. Although I have seen waves where only jacobs spawn and there is really nothing one can do about that, most of the times I run into the buggy jacob crowds its actually a result of something I am doing.

My massive magnet launcher has a bug with it that tends to cause amps to go flying. Often I will be bombing a spawn with grenades when a bunch of jacobs have spawned with an amp that is stuck and the amp will just go flying up off the map thus unleashing the swarm of jacobs that were protecting him.

This case seems a lot more common than the jacobs just spawning alone. If I just had a different weapon that didn't hurl the amps off the map I wouldn't be having this problem. The run I just did ended in the 50s but the only damage my base took after those first 15 where I was doing set up, is from mobs of jacobs that were inadvertently freed when I sent an amp flying on two different occasions.

I think if I just chuck my beloved grenade launcher I will not have to deal with these mobs of jacobs nearly so often. Or at least they will sit there protecting the amp like they are supposed to rather than blitzing my base while I yell curses at them. I think the curses actually hurt them more than my grenades...

It isn't a bug with the MML. I have had the launching effect with multiple weapons, not just the MML. I managed to do it with a hole puncher just the other day. It doesn't happen as often as with the MML, but I have definitely done it with other weapons.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5250/

From the developers of the game, Mr. MooEar, is Brad Muir... I have never seen multiple Jacobs attacked by turrets. I'll be sure to try this out and report back the results.

Yeah, a jacobs has to be completely isolated to be vulnerable. A good place to test this is on swamp. Once an amp comes out with jacobs and finds a place to stand still, just pick a jacob to push away from the crowd. Once it's far enough away, it'll dissolve in sniper fire ;)

It isn't a bug with the MML. I have had the launching effect with multiple weapons, not just the MML. I managed to do it with a hole puncher just the other day. It doesn't happen as often as with the MML, but I have definitely done it with other weapons.

Yeah the ursula is actually the biggest offender fot tube launching. I think it can happen with many explosive weapons, particularly clusters. The magnet launcher is probably the second most likely to launch 'em. It can be fatal on solo.

I see now what Beast was talking about with how your turrets will momentarily target the jacab's that spawn without anything to protect if they are the first and only one out of the gate. Often your snipers will totally obliterate that first unlucky jacob that steps out which is cool but while they reload another couple will spawn. Perhaps if I hang out close enough to the far gate where they tend to come from I can ram the second jacob with hot pants and knock it off the side of the ramp as the snipers reload so it will be isolated enough that they take a shot at it once they ready again.

I have been a lot more careful with my magnet launcher and made it to wave 75 most recently on swamp. I actually didn't die from a crazed swarm of jacobs in the end although they were responsible for massively damaging my base earlier in the run.

Grrrr, I am getting very tired of dying from this same bug over and over again. I changed out my weapon fearing that the explosions were what were making the amp fly out of bounds and letting the buggy jacob flood go free but it still does it regardless of whether you shoot it or not or what weapon you use.

The same exact thing happens every time. I can spot the wave the moment it begins. An amp spawns and gets stuck in the conduit up on the hill. Next tons of jacobs spawn behind it piling up. Eventually the amp magically floats off the side and lands out of bounds letting the flood of jacobs free to storm the base unhindered by turret fire.

I sit there the moment the wave begins shooting the jacobs knowing what is about to happen. I kill a couple before the amp does its little floating trick. I usually kill another one or two jacobs on their sprint to the base by knocking them out of the group so the turrets will target them properly. Then the remaining dozen or so jacobs proceed to lay waste to my base which usually has about 80% life. I sit there blasting away at them the whole time but in the end the base goes up in flames and there are a couple of jacobs remaining.

:coolsmile:

Awesome the jacob bug has been recognized by the staff and they know how to fix it but it requires a title update. Still this is truly great news for anybody who likes to solo. I don't think those people who have made it to lvl 100 on swamp solo realize just how lucky they are to have not run into that damn jacob amp wave after about lvl 60 when they are just too strong to stop with an engineer chassis.

It's a random wave so there is a chance you won't see it for the last half of your run but considering that there are only a dozen or so different types of waves you really have to be pretty lucky to get a good 40 lvls in a row without it.

Just out of curiosity. Has anybody done solo swamp and gotten the jacob amp wave and not had the amp get stuck and float off of the conduit in the late game?

I'm just curious if it is possible for the amp to not behave like this and what triggers it.

Just out of curiosity. Has anybody done solo hospital and gotten the jacob amp wave and not had the amp get stuck and float off of the conduit in the late game?

Wat =P

I finally figured out how to keep the amp from getting stuck in the conduit and then floating off to release the horde of jacobs. NEVER place a turret inside the stones at the end of the bridge despite how tempting a spot it is!

I left it out, the amp and jacobs never glitched and I completed wave 100 solo! Hurray!

:coolsmile:

I am definitely gonna try that now. Also, I always catch you just as you're getting offline >:| what hours are you awake? (I'm in US Central time so it's 7:07 AM right now)

Congrats! I'll have to see what dampener placement you're talking about when we play sometime.

I'm confused as well. Would he be talking about not a dampening generator inside the bridge? You can walk through the bridge by the conduit so that's what I'm assuming...

First run after my post and I make it to 100 also =D Amazing. I didn't put any emplacements on the ridges of the bridge. After I had my main snipers down, I started going CRAZY with dampeners/MG's around the bridge conduit, putting snipers in the far back and protecting them with MG's (dampeners along the straight path to the bridge for knobs/amps to take out). There were 2-3 waves of Amps+Jakobs that took out nearly a dozen of those dampeners/MG's but as long as they stayed away from my snipers and the base, I was fine with it.

Congrats! I'll have to see what dampener placement you're talking about when we play sometime.

I'm confused as well. Would he be talking about not a dampening generator inside the bridge? You can walk through the bridge by the conduit so that's what I'm assuming...

I described the spot in more detail in that thread about the jackob/amp bug. But basically the dampener that seems to have been causing the amp to bug out on me every single time I played swamp was the one I used to place actually inside the stones on the far side of the bridge.

To find the spot walk across the bridge. Then turn around and look back at the green base. Now walk up to the stone wall that makes up the right side of the bridge here. If you try to place a turret while up against this wall you will notice the turret targeting icon can be placed deep inside the bridge itself. It takes a little practice but if you do it right the dampener will appear about halfway through the width of the bridge and only the very tip of it will be visible poking up through the deck of the bridge. This is the far side of the bridge from the two water conduits.

It seemed like such a great spot for a dampener. It was out of the way, highly effective and immortal. It IS NOT a good spot. I think placing the turret here will almost certainly cause the amp to freeze in the conduit and then float off releasing the jacob horde. It is also possible that it was a combination of turret placements that I do and this was just one of the key ones, but I changed most of my other habitual turret spots while trying to find the culprit and this is the only one that stopped the bug from happening so it seems to be the sole cause.

I'ld still like to play sometime, though for sure.

Sign in to follow this