• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
dinnerordie17

NOTCH!??!?!?

Notch rules. He's the creator of Minecraft and offering to pony up the money for Double Fine to make Psychonauts 2, if you didn't get all that.

A totally awesome deed by a legend.

Double Fine ... time for you to make a sequel. :)

Okay, but why does Robotussin have a problem with him?

Notch rules. He's the creator of Minecraft and offering to pony up the money for Double Fine to make Psychonauts 2, if you didn't get all that.

When Robotussin and Notch were in elementary school together, they lived right next to each other, and were the best of friends. They would play games, laugh, and once there was even a hug. However, Notch would always ignore him at school, and would make fun of Robotussin just like all the other kids. Robotussin has never gotten over this.

Psychonauts has got to be one of my top five favorite games of all time. I sincerely wish that all of the parties involved make the sequel happen!

what the hell

I figured they were just messing, but apparently they are actually "talking"

Some might say we shouldn't build our hopes up, but as Double Fine fans I think we should just stay excited. Notch is a great guy and I think we are gonna see him and Schafer shaking hands in a few months over developing Psychonauts 2.

Ive been waiting 2,499 days for this news I hope its true this time. Psychonauts 2 Heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Robotussin and Notch were in elementary school together, they lived right next to each other, and were the best of friends. They would play games, laugh, and once there was even a hug. However, Notch would always ignore him at school, and would make fun of Robotussin just like all the other kids. Robotussin has never gotten over this.

The reason is because Notch isn't a very trust worthy person. Minecraft is a perfect example of just how bad he is with all of his vacations, promises he never filled or even started on and his very lack luster, pretty much still beta "Official release" of Minecraft that he then turned over to someone else so he didn't have to work on it anymore. That's even besides the point that most mods do twice as much as Minecraft and a majority of what Minecraft has was taken from mods that people made. Even when he did Minecon which was both ridiculously expensive and not even wanted by most fans, he pretty much told all of his dedicated fans and communities to fuck off and that the success of Minecraft was his doing and his doing alone.

I mean, if Notch is just giving money to Tim then ya I'm all for that but there's probably deeper motives here, maybe even to the point where Notch would have some creative say in to what goes in to Psych 2 which would be terrible.

The reason is because Notch isn't a very trust worthy person. Minecraft is a perfect example of just how bad he is with all of his vacations, promises he never filled or even started on and his very lack luster, pretty much still beta "Official release" of Minecraft that he then turned over to someone else so he didn't have to work on it anymore. That's even besides the point that most mods do twice as much as Minecraft and a majority of what Minecraft has was taken from mods that people made. Even when he did Minecon which was both ridiculously expensive and not even wanted by most fans, he pretty much told all of his dedicated fans and communities to fuck off and that the success of Minecraft was his doing and his doing alone.

I mean, if Notch is just giving money to Tim then ya I'm all for that but there's probably deeper motives here, maybe even to the point where Notch would have some creative say in to what goes in to Psych 2 which would be terrible.

Also because of that stuff when you were kids.

I doubt that Notch is willing to fund the full development cycle. I expect Dracogen or another third party/publisher involved

Some might say we shouldn't build our hopes up, but as Double Fine fans I think we should just stay excited. Notch is a great guy and I think we are gonna see him and Schafer shaking hands in a few months over developing Psychonauts 2.

Yeah! This is great news, and I don't think a lot of people want to think of the worst thing that could happen because hey! It's really awesome to hear about it! I also doubt that Notch would do anything to change the game whenever it becomes in development. He'll just give them the money and give them support.

UPDATE 2: The saga continues! Notch has sent out a few more tweets explaining what's going on. According to the Minecraft creator, he's been talking to Tim Schafer via e-mail, and it sounds like the two are planning to meet up at GDC. However, Notch cautions, "Anyway, please don't get your hopes too high yet. Everything is extremely vague!" He's probably right, but I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up anyway.

Meanwhile, Tim Schafer has confirmed to Kotaku that the Psychonauts sequel "could happen," saying, "I have found funding on Twitter before."

They updated the story again.

If development takes a couple of years, Psychonauts 2 might be released on next gen consoles

This is fantastic. Whatever you think of Notch as an actual game designer, there is no doubt that he likes to put his money in the right places. And that's not meant to sound dirty.

I'm going to be working at GDC again this year, so maybe I'll spy on them. Or contribute $5 to the fund.

(And here I am posting, my own behavior confirming that "HEY GUYS I'M GOING TO BE AWAY" posts are always, always dumb.)

yes yes YES THIS IS GREAT NEWS

honestly I have to agree with Robotussin on this though. I mean if Notch is just giving DF a couple million dollars to work on it then that's great! But if Notch wants to have some input in the game, then that's when I think we should start worrying 8\

also even then I think thiswill take a long time to make. Psychonauts was in production 2000-2005. If the sequel's gonna be up to the same caliber as it's predecessor, then don't be surprised if it takes half a decade to make

STILL I HAVE JUST BEEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-ING ALL DAY DGSJF

There were other factors that led to Psychonauts taking so long to make though. It was Double Fine's first game for one, they also built their own game engine, etc.

True, but still.

In the meantime, have some recent updates from Notch's twitter:

Me and @TimOfLegend are talking to each other via email, and he's cool with me saying whatever I want about it. He's, like, super awesome.

Nothing has been decided either way, but he asked me if I'm going to GDC. I assume he's going to rob my apartment when I'm gone.

Anyway, please don't get your hopes too high yet. Everything is extremely vague!

and from C148 ((the person that did Minecraft's Music and Sounds))

BREAKING NEWS: Notch says Tim Schafer is a nice dude

honestly I have to agree with Robotussin on this though. I mean if Notch is just giving DF a couple million dollars to work on it then that's great! But if Notch wants to have some input in the game, then that's when I think we should start worrying 8\

Why the heck would he try to "take over" someone's game? Notch haters are so irrational it gets old. If it so hard to imagine if you had gotten rich you might support Psychonauts 2?

Why the heck would he try to "take over" someone's game? Notch haters are so irrational it gets old. If it so hard to imagine if you had gotten rich you might support Psychonauts 2?

woah woah who said I'm hating on Notch!? I love Notch and Minecraft and Mojang; I've been with them since the initial InDev release from 2010! I'm just saying that if he DOES want to have some creative input for something Tim might have had planned out in his head forever, then would it be for the better?

Just looking at the pros and cons here! 8Tc

So I decided to come back to the site and see how explosive the forums are after this amazing news.

Wait, the servers still work?

I honestly don't want anyone but the original team to have any creative control over Psychonauts.

I'd imagine that Mojang could act as a funding fountainhead, whilst DF develops Psychonauts 2 as if it were an indie game. that might work out. but I don't think of Notch as an excellent designer by any means, nor is he exceedingly creative. (a game that you have to read a wiki to play is not a well designed game, sorry.)

but coming from indie development, I think Notch knows his place and wouldn't try 'EA-tize' Psychonauts.

Because people do that shit all the time and when it comes to a free market economy trusting someone fully is pants on head retarded.

2012 is going to be Year-of-the-cult-clasics, isn't it? 8^D
All we need is Square Enix to make new Chrono and Legacy of Kain games.