Sign in to follow this  
Immo

Why do I need a credit card to support the next Double Fine Adventure???

Hello everyone,

I would really like to spend the 15$ to support the next Double Fine Aventure and get the game + follow the game's development. I registered at kickstarter but, however, the only payment method available is Amazon Payments and therefore I would need a credit card to pay. Since I'm from Germany I don't have a credit card (additionaly I know noone who has one) and there are no other common payment methods available (paypal??). As it seems, I am far not the only one with this problem so it would be very nice to establish an additional payment method (for example paypal) to support the project. Since the kickstarter project was also in German gaming news (gamestar.de), this would help to significantly increase the fundings for your project (from outside america!).

Best regards,

Immo

You can pay by debit card too. I did.

Can you tell me how?

When I try to pay, I get redirected to Amazon Payments. Amazon Payments asks me then for one of these cards:

Visa

MasterCard

American Express

Discover

Diners Club

JCB

I don't have any of them. What's the trick?

You can pay by debit card too. I did.

Can you tell me how?

When I try to pay, I get redirected to Amazon Payments. Amazon Payments asks me then for one of these cards:

Visa

MasterCard

American Express

Discover

Diners Club

JCB

I don't have any of them. What's the trick?

You can use a debit card that has a VISA or Mastercard logo on it.

Also credit card transactions are safer to use on the internet than direct bank transactions.

I have exactly the same problem (although I'm not German but Dutch) I would dearly love to make a donation but I don’t have a credit card, nor do I know anyone who does.

Germany:

Interest in Adventure Games -> High

circulation of CreditCards -> Low

Deponia outsells games like Skyrim

They're going to break a milli, throw some d's on it and restore the adventure genre to its rightful place.

The golden age of adventure coming back????

You can use a debit card that has a VISA or Mastercard logo on it.

Don't have any of them. Also I would say both are very uncommon in Germany.

Please establish some alternative payment methods. (The number of germans complaining they can't pay increases continuosly in the local forums / news comments...!!)

Also credit card transactions are safer to use on the internet than direct bank transactions.

That does not help if noone has a credit card here...

Also, Timbo is correct.

This might be a Kickstarter thing. Take it up with them.

That's a Kickstarter thing, yes, but I dont think they will add paypal just for one of many projects on their page. In fact, I don't think they would listen / react to an E-Mail of me. That's why I'm writing in the forums here. (Also, it's alot money for double fine, not for kickstarter, so the motivation to do something should be higher...)

Also, this could become a nice match: credit card on kickstarter vs. paypal (or some method germans can use!!!) on this website. I bet paypal will top the 1 mio $ earned so far on kickstarter very quickly :)

If you have issues with the payment system, please email kickstarter at doublefine dot com, and we'll figure something out if we can =)

Ever heard of EntroPay?

They have this "prepaid virtual credit card"... you just have to charge it and you're good to go!

Also, there are other websites like EntroPay, but I've never used any of them...

Ever heard of EntroPay?

They have this "prepaid virtual credit card"... you just have to charge it and you're good to go!

Also, there are other websites like EntroPay, but I've never used any of them...

This is an option and I will try it if everything else fails. However, they take money for transfering money to the virtual credit card. And it's an additional step you have to take (register, transfer etc.) to pay. So it's a solution, but it's not very costumer friendly. Adding paypal to kickstarter would still be the better way. I have written an E-Mail to kickstarter now...

UPDATE: I have an answer from the kickstarter support now.

"All Kickstarter pledges are processed via Amazon Payments, as they are the only payments provider that allows our unique all-or-nothing funding plan. If you're interested, I've included a relevant blog post here: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/amazon-payments-and-us-only

Unfortunately, we won't be able to offer any alternative payment plans."

It seems also that it does not matter that the 400.000$ are already collected. So no alternative for credit cards :-(

If you have issues with the payment system, please email kickstarter at doublefine dot com, and we'll figure something out if we can =)

It sounds like the issue is that a whole country (Germany) is visiting the kickstarter page and then going away :(

I nearly didn't donate myself since Amazon displayed some confusing "can only transfer money from the US" (I'm from Australia) page. Luckily, it was just Amazon's registration process getting confused.

If not for these problems, the money pool might have been $5mil by now!

As said in another thread:

I’ve had that same problem.

However it can be solved in the same way I did it.

Borrow a creditcard from someone.

In my case, I borrowed mine from my mother, and gave her the money that it would cost me (I got the $30 deal, so that would be 22 euro or so) and she handed me her creditcard for this simple one-time transaction to one of the most secure sites on the internet (Amazon).

I know you can easily get a creditcard, I’m 32 and could quite reasonable get one, with a normal job as systems administrator and web-designer, but I have something against using creditcards.

But as you can understand, it is quite simple.

Just ask a relative or friend that has one, and give or use a bank transfer to cover the bill of the creditcard, and usually they have no problems with it.

Unless their cards are maxed out.

Have any of you looked into getting prepaid credit cards? They basically work like debit cards but you can use them to shop online.

Have any of you looked into getting prepaid credit cards? They basically work like debit cards but you can use them to shop online.
Yes. I do that all the time and get them all the time from my family.

As said in another thread:

I’ve had that same problem.

However it can be solved in the same way I did it.

Hey, my money's already on the table :) Just saying that there are millions of Germans etc probably not reading these forums that have looked at the Kickstarter page and then gone away :`(

Hey, my money's already on the table :) Just saying that there are millions of Germans etc probably not reading these forums that have looked at the Kickstarter page and then gone away :`(

That's what I also think. In addition, none of the solutions posted here is "easy" to do and they also produce further costs (prepaid credit card).

Not just Germans, plenty of Canadians here would LOVE to donate to this cause as well but simply cannot seem to find a way to do it.

It would be nice if there was an easy to find statement on the Double Fine News Page and the Kickstarter page stating something to the effect of:

"Not from the United States but still want to contribute? Click HERE for details"

OK, next german guy here who cannot pay in this case. But I will wait for a Linux promise or announcement anyway. :-D

mm, I registered just to chime in with the rest in saying that it would be awesome if Double Fine could work out something with paypal, for the rest of us who want to support this thing who don't have credit cards.

please take my money, basically :]

Kickstarter have been saying for years that they have to use Amazon as they are the only system that will support their 'all or nothing' payment system. This is no longer true (they could use the PayPal Adaptive Payments API to create pre-authed payments), but if they plan to move to PayPal they are keeping quiet about it.

Virtual VISA might be the only way for you to go. But perhaps Double Fine would consider using an alternative to Kickstarter next time? Looks like the game-fund is missing out because of this!

I'm just a Canadian that can only donate through PayPal. Please let me donate! Take my money!

Who knows, maybe this whole adventure will make Kickstarter add new payment options.

Wow, reading all this I seriously wonder why someone haven't made their own fundraiser on ulule.com claiming that they will donate the money earned to the kickstarter fundraiser?

I mean even though all the cash should go to DF it would grant the ulule fundraiser a higher tire on the gifts.

just saying.

Not just Germans, plenty of Canadians here would LOVE to donate to this cause as well but simply cannot seem to find a way to do it.

It would be nice if there was an easy to find statement on the Double Fine News Page and the Kickstarter page stating something to the effect of:

"Not from the United States but still want to contribute? Click HERE for details"

Except I'm from the UK and contributed fine so it can't just be a "not in the US" problem. What sort of problems do you encounter?

Double Fine should just set up a donor paypal for foreign donors, maybe after the Kickstarter drive ends.

Except I'm from the UK and contributed fine so it can't just be a "not in the US" problem. What sort of problems do you encounter?

Since the only way to make a donation seems to be with Amazon Payments I tried opening an account but discovered it was for US citizens only.

How did you get past that?