Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nodmonkey

The Double Fine Adventure 2D or 3D?

Yeah I'd prefer hand painted (with whatever works for the artists) backgrounds touched up on computers. That might be pricey though I have no clue, but damn is it pretty.

I would love to have it 2D. Like the curse of monkey island, and the HD remakes of Monkey 1 and 2. I love the art style of them

The Monkey Island remakes are absolutely hideous looking. I actually prefer playing with the original graphics because the new ones hurt my feelings.

CoMI is beautiful though.

2-D. I plan on donating later this week, 30 bucks so :)

You know they don't process your payment until March 13, right? Why wait?

2-D. I plan on donating later this week, 30 bucks so :)

You know they don't process your payment until March 13, right? Why wait?

Cuz if I wait I might poor in a few more like 100 even tho those slots are full. I get paid Friday

To have a successful 3d implementation, we need some rich uncles to donate millions I guess..

MotionScan is patented by team bondi and costs a lot

I think we land on a basic 2d style

I totally, support 2D gaming..

i mean.. i dont mind 3D...but its not always good looking unless you put the money.

I'd prefer beautiful scenery with some animations and a good story that'll make me laugh

with crazy stuff.

3D is risky territory... there's always people who can't play them because they dont have the right card....

or all that crappy stuff about hardware... no 3d ? EVERYBODY can play it :D (except old PC)

i remember how much problems i had with grim fandango back then ¬_¬ ...

I'd love to see a Double Fine first-person game some day, now that I think about it.

I'm with Ein. This might seem naive, as well, but wouldn't it be easier to port the game onto other platforms if it didn't involve a 3D engine?

It's funny how this debate continues to rage, long after i pointed out that Tim settled it..

12 FEB @madswinther @TimOfLegend Was the Brütal engine (with modifications) used for all your download-titles, or did I make that up? Will it be used for #DFA?

@TimOfLegend @madswinther we use it for everything, but since this is 2d game maybe not.

Fair play, I never thought they were going to do it 3D, but it's still worth discussing why people think which would be be better and why.

High resolution 2D sprites are a thing of beauty.
They can be. Or they can be crummy flash cartoons. Depends on the process.

I am fairly sure that the game will be in 2D. It's a throwback to old school adventure games. And DF did say that they are thinking 2D. Irregardless it will be beautiful.

you only need to look at the past to see how big a mistake 3D is for Adventure games, it sunk all the best franchises and was respectivly the worst in there series.

Gabrial knight 1/2 fantastic, 3 was terrible 3D and we never saw another GK

Curse of monkey island vs the 4th 3D one, what a major step down and the last monkey island by lucasarts

broken sword 1 2 my favorite adventure games ever ruined by 3D.

in fact i can only think of one adventure game in 3D i trully liked and it was Grim Fandango, that being said i don't want this project to go 3D route it sucks the charm right out of the game, 2.5D i can handle like black mirror 2.

there's a good interview on youtube with charles cecil creator of broken sword saying how publishers in all there wisdom thought going 3D was the next big step but infact it just pushed away the wider demographic of old school adventure gamers that prefer 2D,

mr cecil has since seen the light and is creating broken sword 5 in 2D and that is the best news ive heard since this kickstarter project.

great interview check it out

Charles Cecil on Broken Sword 2D better than 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullzROgDC8w

On the recent GameTrailers interview, Tim seems more unsure about whether this will be 2D or 3D. I think 2D was the original plan, but if there's enough money they might consider 3D.

On the recent GameTrailers interview, Tim seems more unsure about whether this will be 2D or 3D. I think 2D was the original plan, but if there's enough money they might consider 3D.

He was under pressure by the Epic guy. It will be 2-D.

0.3 million = Minimum 2D (2D Characters, 2D Backgrounds)

|

V

0.95 million = Day of the Tentacle 2D (Voiceovers)

|

V

2 million CURRENTLY

|

V

2.2 Million = Full Throttle 2D (Prerendered Cutscenes, Hollywood Voiceovers)

|

V

4.2 million = Grim Fandango 2.5D (3D Characters, Prerendered Backgrounds)

|

V

14.6 million = Psychonauts 3D (3D Backgrounds)

He was under pressure by the Epic guy. It will be 2-D.

0.3 million = Minimum 2D (2D Characters, 2D Backgrounds)

|

V

0.95 million = Day of the Tentacle 2D (Voiceovers)

|

V

2 million CURRENTLY

|

V

2.2 Million = Full Throttle 2D (Prerendered Cutscenes, Hollywood Voiceovers)

|

V

4.2 million = Grim Fandango 2.5D (3D Characters, Prerendered Backgrounds)

|

V

14.6 million = Psychonauts 3D (3D Backgrounds)

That's not really how it works. Stacking and Costume Quest were 3D and cost 2 million. Presumably this would be even easier of an adventure game.

Of course 3D complicates matters when porting down to iOS and the like, but yeah.

I would hardly call Stacking and Costume Quest classic adventure games. (Neither is Psychonauts, which is only for example.)

The costs I listed are the actual costs adjusted for inflation. 3D would greatly consume the game's budget and leave little for anything else.

For example, 1 area could consist of 5 handpainted backgrounds.

That same area in 3D would need like about 300 modeled and textured objects. Many of which the player will never look at. A waste of time, money and effort.

Yes, 3D has unlimited camera angles, but if you are only in that area for 5 minutes, it's a complete waste.

With 2D, everything that needs to be seen is represented.

One could make it a 2D/3D Hybrid. Think "Limbo" . With applied effects such as depth of field and a couple dynamic lights and maybe some fog in certain areas

As a follower of grim fandango, day of the tentacle, full throttle, monkey island, i feel that i would like to see this in 2D, but very well drawn.

just my opinion

Sign in to follow this