Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nodmonkey

The Double Fine Adventure 2D or 3D?

Don't forget that Grim Fandango was in 3D and it was still awesome. Would it work as a 2D game? Maybe.

Right now, we have no idea what the story or what is the game going to be like.

But I can honestly say that the best looking Lucasarts adventure I ever played was Monkey Island 3. The hand drawn graphics was just breathtaking and it suited the story well.

At the end of the day, the graphics should suit the story and the story should suit the graphics. It works full circle!

To all the people comparing the 3D Monkey Island games to the 2D ones: we've come quite a ways since then. I think a lot of cool things can be accomplished with 3D graphics that couldn't be done with 2D graphics now. Where 3D once had to struggle to maintain an art style it's now much easier. And listening to this interview with Tim it sounds like he's undecided as well (though that tweet that somebody posted earlier may have come after this interview):

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/602

Since I hope it´s gonna be dott-like I´d say It´s going to be 2D. And I love 2D and second is 2,5 D. Adventure games with 3 D aren´t good. Until now.

But I hope for a really realistic 3 D Indy game. My big dream!

Since I hope it´s gonna be dott-like I´d say It´s going to be 2D. And I love 2D and second is 2,5 D. Adventure games with 3 D aren´t good. Until now.

But I hope for a really realistic 3 D Indy game. My big dream!

Really realistic, costs a LOT of moneys. So you've kinda insured the fact that your dream will stay one.

Anyways I believe photorealism is for developers without imagination, I'd prefer 2D to 2.5D.

My fondest memories are of god-awful, low-res, low-colour 2D games - but these were not design choices, but limitations of the technology at the time. Seems somewhat retarded to deliberately hobble the graphics to evoke nostalgia in the hearts of us old gits.

I'll go with 2D as it seems to get overlooked. Not an adventure game, but Rayman Origins shows what can be done in 2D with current technology (and the blood, sweat and tears of some talented artists & animators).

Maybe try something unique? I've no idea what, but maybe one of the shortcomings of adventure games was a lot looked and felt samey (Sierra and Lucasarts using common engines may have had something to do with it). Some of my memorable games were the ones that tried something new, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango, Pandora Directive, Spycraft, Fahrenheit etc.

No, ignore my last 2D comment. What I'm looking for is something that's going to cause outrage and mutiny on these forums - come up with something novel.

2.5D. Like in Machinarium, where the perception of depth was given, but the game was largely played on a 2D plane.

A 2D game would look best, no doubt. They could do something like Skullgirls to get that high fidelity. 3D doesn't have to look bad, look at Level5 games, they look amazing, I mean yes they are Anime games, but they still look extraordinary. But I digress. The Idea of using 3D perspectives on 2D planes is also very interesting... Perhaps the iPad version could have a bonus option to use its integrated camera to play with the perspective, like that Nintendo DS tech demo that came out just before the 3DS:

(or you could use that kind of 3D to play with the 2.5D concept, at least this way peoples eye sockets wont get burnt)

I prefer point clouds. :o)

Anyway, how about 3D with 2D gameplay or 2D with 3D glasses?

Fully 2D hand-drawn art:

* Looks awesome

* Animations are slower to produce in quantity

* Takes up more space than 3D art (in general)

* Won't scale as nicely to different screen resolutions.

Fully 3D art:

* Game studios are more experienced with it... faster/cheaper to develop

* More efficient use of disk space

* Scales to multiple resolutions well

* Doesn't always look awesome. Sometimes, though.

$3,000,000 is a fairly small budget, as current games go. If they want to get the maximum bang for their buck, I'm guessing we'll see 2D gameplay with 3D graphics... Possibly with some rad hand-drawn backdrops and toon-rendered 3d characters.

Definitely in 2D. I have a feeling 3D is overused in games/cartoons/etc.

Don't get me wrong, it can look great, but I just miss playing a game with a distinctive graphical style.

For instance, I know Scott C works for DF and i find his work brilliant. It would be so awesome if he would contribute to the game's graphics. :)

I agree that Gim Fandano is a great game but I think one of the reasons that it doe not sell as well as it could have as the fact that it was 3d. I remember when it came out I was annoyed that they made it 3d and the fact you had to have a updated computer to play it probably turned off some would be fans. Even trying to play the game today I have some issues with resolution/graphics using GRIME, but all the 2d SCUMM games play perfectly.

2d graphics are timeless and much easier to emulate/reproduce on newer systems. I've never played a true "Point and Click" 3d adventure game, they always require keyboard or joystick, I like being able to just grab the old trackball, sit on the couch and play MI1 or MI2.

I agree that Gim Fandano is a great game but I think one of the reasons that it doe not sell as well as it could have as the fact that it was 3d. I remember when it came out I was annoyed that they made it 3d and the fact you had to have a updated computer to play it probably turned off some would be fans. Even trying to play the game today I have some issues with resolution/graphics using GRIME, but all the 2d SCUMM games play perfectly.

2d graphics are timeless and much easier to emulate/reproduce on newer systems. I've never played a true "Point and Click" 3d adventure game, they always require keyboard or joystick, I like being able to just grab the old trackball, sit on the couch and play MI1 or MI2.

But Grim wouldn't have worked as a 2D game, the only reason it became Grim Fandango was because it was 3D in the first place, and they needed a way to make the game not look terrible. If they tried the same art style in a 2D game, it just wouldn't work.

Without knowing what this adventure is going to be about it is impossible to determine if that world is best rendered in 2d or 3d.

2D... with an insane amount of sprites created!

I think a blend works well though. have SOME 3d elements as needed. Modern animation does this, games could too.

2D... with an insane amount of sprites created!

I think a blend works well though. have SOME 3d elements as needed. Modern animation does this, games could too.

I'm still for 2D, but the option so far left unmentioned is a mix of both where the characters are 2d and the environments are 3D similar to the Paper Mario series.

2D Background with 3D Characters would be perfect, its up to you guys though i am fine with whatever.

2D, or if not full 2D at least the illusion of 2D, if it's easier to do GF/EMI style with 2D backgrounds and 3D characters, so be it, as long as the characters look right on the backgrounds, and it's point and click, and not the GF/EMI control scheme

Seriously, they could do 3D models with cel shading and it would look like 2D. Many modern animated shows are made this way. Or perhaps, if cel shading is not as good for games they could do 3D models and then doing 2D renders.

But a true 2D game would be great as well.

I Honestly Believe Both Have Their Pros And Cons And Am Confident That Whatever Point In The Dimensional Spectrum They Pick It Will Be A Good Choice

I am aaaaaall for the idea of 2D!!!

Please, let it look like a painting come to life!!!! Not an ugly 3D Telltale like game.

To make it clear:

BEAUTIFUL: http://maczana.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mnk3.jpeg

UGLY: http://images.nintendolife.com/news/2009/07/interviews_tales_of_monkey_island_telltale_games/attachment/5/large.jpg

Lol, I love that hotel, so well painted.

Sign in to follow this