Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zeouterlimits

Great but no photo storage/upload?

Hey Guys,

Big Double Fine fan, and at my girlfriend's party, I whipped the game out, immediately bought it and everyone there had a great time with it.

Particular fun was had with the clone-yourself depth photos mini-game (20+ year olds tend to make certain kinds of photos - hilarious ones).

But we couldn't seem to save the photos or export them, like you can with Dance Central 2 or some other Microsoft published Kinect games.

Why not? Will this patched?

It's a big debbie downer on an otherwise great product.

Thanks for playing! Glad you liked the game.

Saving pictures and uploading them to the internet was definitely a feature we hoped to get into the game. Unfortunately, implementing it would have opened a complicated can of worms that we were avoiding like the plague with DFHAT. Simplicity was one of our main mantras on the game. We wanted the game to start up and not force players to sign in, select memory devices, or play through a tutorial or complicated UI. It's a very stripped-down game and I think that's part of it's appeal.

If you add picture management to that, you need to deal with player identity, picture browsing, selection, confirmation, and a lot of stuff that would have taken time away from making the activities awesome.

Oh, and also, we didn't have much money to make it. :)

I hope that someday soon we can figure out a way to add that feature, but we'll have to see.

In the mean time, the hand-held video captures people have uploaded to YouTube are pretty effective and hilarious. I'd post a link but they're too nsfw so you'll have to search for them yourself. :)

-Tim

If you add picture management to that, you need to deal with player identity, picture browsing, selection, confirmation, and a lot of stuff that would have taken time away from making the activities awesome.

-Tim

Ah, of course, I remember the "overhead" from uploading photos & videos in some of the funlabs stuff. Far from a seamless process.

I assume there are certain MS guidelines/steps that have to be taken when it comes to uploading photos to kinectshare, for somewhat understandable reasons.

Thank you for the reply Tim, I really appreciate it.

i was also wondering the same since we been having so much fun at parties with the game, was wondering if there was a secret treasure trove of old photos sumwhere since i remember it being so awesome....

Now that we know there's a sequel on the way...

This'd be a great feature to include. I know it's tough with all the identity and profile stuff that has to be included on the front-end, but this game is so often played on a whim and the best moments are almost like the camera ops on theme park rides. You want to gather up at the photo booth and wait for your photo to appear on the monitors and then steal it by taking a photo of the photo with your phone so you can show everyone how goofy and/or shirtless you are. So including this in the next DFHAT is like giving us the wonders of magic and wonderment.

That makes sense.

Sign in to follow this