Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lestroisrois

Do you want Brutal Legend 2?

The following is a message I just sent to Tim Schafer.

"'This is a public service announcement...WITH GUITAR!!!!!'

I am but a humble messenger, bringing you a message of great importance.

There are hundreds of thousands of fans of Brutal Legend, many of whom want to see a squeal to the game (or at least more downloadable content). In the game's first month on the market, it sold over 215,000 copies; it then went on to win two awards and give the heavy metal industry over 700% boost in sales of music featured in the game. Right now you're probably thinking, 'Oh great, another annoying message from another fanatic fan who wants something we can't provide...' I, however, am just delivering a message, and the message is this. Brutal Legend 2 is not impossible. If funding is an issue, then just add it to your Kickstarter, like Rich Berlew did with his out of print books on his Kickstarter. If the issue is fan-based, then you need to see this. If the issue is different, please post it in the thread I am about to make.

Thank you from all of the fans."

If you also want more Brutal Legend, please post.

The following is a message I just sent to Tim Schafer.

"'This is a public service announcement...WITH GUITAR!!!!!'

I am but a humble messenger, bringing you a message of great importance.

There are hundreds of thousands of fans of Brutal Legend, many of whom want to see a squeal to the game (or at least more downloadable content). In the game's first month on the market, it sold over 215,000 copies; it then went on to win two awards and give the heavy metal industry over 700% boost in sales of music featured in the game. Right now you're probably thinking, 'Oh great, another annoying message from another fanatic fan who wants something we can't provide...' I, however, am just delivering a message, and the message is this. Brutal Legend 2 is not impossible. If funding is an issue, then just add it to your Kickstarter, like Rich Berlew did with his out of print books on his Kickstarter. If the issue is fan-based, then you need to see this. If the issue is different, please post it in the thread I am about to make.

Thank you from all of the fans."

If you also want more Brutal Legend, please post.

Yes I wants it!

But good work on that email, I still honestly don't see Brutal Legend 2 happening seems really unrealistic but like you mentioned I am sure they can work out on getting more maps for us at a price of course which I'm sure we all would pay for. That is more realistic and I think we should be fighting for that because that is actually possible.

Me either. I just thought it was funny that he linked it like it was evidence of the masses frothing at the mouth for a sequel.

Me either. I just thought it was funny that he linked it like it was evidence of the masses frothing at the mouth for a sequel.

It was the first one I could find!

As much as I love Brutal Legend, I think a kickstarter funded sequel is a little... Out of reach.

However - a kickstarter funded PC port? Where Double Fine can freely make balance adjustments as they see fit? Where they could have another shot at properly explaining how to play the stage battles, so that more people could enjoy them as intended? I don't see why this would be particularly implausible.

I could see why. Liscensed music. It costs a lot more than you'd think, and a PC release would mean having to pay it all again.

You guys should probably keep in mind that EA owns at least the publishing rights to at least the first game.

You guys should probably keep in mind that EA owns at least the publishing rights to at least the first game.

Should I write a message to EA as well?

Without being snarky.....oh, screw it. I'm gonna be snarky.

Yeah. You should totally do that. I bet they will be very interested.

Are you sure about that? They seemed to manage to make PC versions of Costume Quest and Stacking perfectly fine, despite THQ presumably owning the publishing rights to those games.

I'd imagine that's because THQ approved those ports based on sales.

As much as I love Brutal Legend, I think a kickstarter funded sequel is a little... Out of reach.

However - a kickstarter funded PC port? Where Double Fine can freely make balance adjustments as they see fit? Where they could have another shot at properly explaining how to play the stage battles, so that more people could enjoy them as intended? I don't see why this would be particularly implausible.

I could see why. Licensed music. It costs a lot more than you'd think, and a PC release would mean having to pay it all again.

I know about that, but do you know how roughly how much? I really couldn't see it being out of reach of the current kickstarter, for example.

I don't think the Kickstarter fund would have enough in it now. A Brutal Legend Kickstarter would make even less money. I would imagine the Ozzy songs alone would be in the millions to license let alone the lesser known artists.

Are you sure about that? They seemed to manage to make PC versions of Costume Quest and Stacking perfectly fine, despite THQ presumably owning the publishing rights to those games.

I'd imagine that's because THQ approved those ports based on sales.

Hmm, fair enough, although - when you say 'based on sales', what do you mean by that exactly? Because I would've thought that a game's publisher would be more happy for the developers to indepently port it to PC the less sales it got, because if they thought there would be a decent amount of money in it they'd want to do the porting themselves and take a piece of the pie.

How would a game having high sales make the publisher more likely to allow a PC port that they don't see any profits from?

I doubt they did it independently. It's more likely that the publisher paid for the port after seeing that it sold well on it's launch platform.

I doubt they did it independently. It's more likely that the publisher paid for the port after seeing that it sold well on it's launch platform.

They did do it independently. Or, well, with private investment from Steve Dengler, but independently from the publisher.

Check the info on Costume Quest on Steam. The publisher is down as Double Fine Productions. THQ played no role in the port.

Sounds like they worked something out with THQ. Think EA will be as easy to deal with?

I honestly don't know what the situation is with those games, or if EA still holds publishing rights to BL, and any future sequels. I do know that typically a publisher will not be willing to release their hold on ip. But again, I'm not privy to the specifics of their arrangement. I suppose anything is possible. Just not plausible.

I figured that Double Fine retained rights to the ip. If EA does own publishing rights, they would either have to convince EA to let them do it, buy the publishing rights back, or let them expire (which eventually they will).

At the risk of starting a flame war I will state that I don't think BL would be a good fit for PC. The RTS gameplay feels like it was design the way it was because they didn't have the option of the mouse and keyboard. I wouldn't object if they ported it over. That's just how I feel.

I just had an idea. We could schedule a time when a HUGE number of people would play Brutal Legend online all at once. That ought to get some attention from EA.

I just had an idea. We could schedule a time when a HUGE number of people would play Brutal Legend online all at once. That ought to get some attention from EA.

elaborate

elaborate

Here's what I mean: Whenever people play a game online(whether on a console, pc, etc.), it records the amount of traffic that game received at the time. This record is sent to the companies that the game was made by so as to show how popular a game is at any one time. When the numbers are high, the companies pay more attention. Also, when there is a massive amount of activity for a single game(such as when a whole bunch of players start playing it all at the same time), the companies sometimes realize that the fans, who are THE PEOPLE THAT THEY MAKE THE GAMES FOR, want the series to continue. This also happens with old TV series on Netflix. So what I'm saying is that if we got, say, a couple thousand of the Brutal Legend fans out there, to all play multiplayer online at x time on x day, EA and Double Fine would notice and, hopefully, realize that WE WANT MORE BRUTAL LEGEND!

I'd love to see a sequel, but as licensed music is such a problem financially, it may not come to pass. Shame, since BL really opened my mind to the world of metal. Just driving around the landscape listening to the song selection is such a great way to relax. I'd love to hear more of Tim's recommendations - his taste in music is absolutely superb.

I doubt Kickstarter would help fund this completely, but I do like the idea of using Kickstarter as a means of "Pre-Ordering" the game. Every little bit helps, after all.

For the licensing of the music, we just need to let it slip that when Brutal Legend was released, it increased the purchasing of the metal found in the game by appx. 700%. That ought to get music producers to at least lower the fees, if not drop them all together.

Better idea - what if that time was 'forever'? :)

That wouldn't work, as then it wouldn't be simultaneous, and it wouldn't grab as much attention.

Hardly possible. Mainly because the fanbase most likely is spread across the globe, making it difficult to keep up with the time zones.

I'd love to see a sequel, but as licensed music is such a problem financially, it may not come to pass. Shame, since BL really opened my mind to the world of metal. Just driving around the landscape listening to the song selection is such a great way to relax. I'd love to hear more of Tim's recommendations - his taste in music is absolutely superb.

I doubt Kickstarter would help fund this completely, but I do like the idea of using Kickstarter as a means of "Pre-Ordering" the game. Every little bit helps, after all.

For the licensing of the music, we just need to let it slip that when Brutal Legend was released, it increased the purchasing of the metal found in the game by appx. 700%. That ought to get music producers to at least lower the fees, if not drop them all together.

I don't know if that would work, but they could partner with Amazon or iTunes like Rockstar did with the GTA IV soundtrack.

True enough. I think the year following "Brutal Legend", I probably bought more CDs than I had all decade. Four Black Sabbaths/Ozzies, three Iron Maidens, one Megadeth collection, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Manowar... whenever I stopped by any store, more and more albums kept catching my eye BECAUSE of "Brutal Legend".

In fact, the game probably had a bigger impact on me than "Guitar Hero" because "Brutal Legend" not only opened me up to good music, but taught me to LOVE good music.

Hell, if they made "Country Legend", Double-Fine could probably convince me to start investing in Garth Brooks.

I gotta confess, I wasn't hugely interested in the old school metal that is in the game until I played the game. Someone said it before and i'll say it again: There is nothing cooler than ripping around the brutal landscape in the deuce listening to the games soundtrack lol

Idea for my idea: what if we do the event while using the streaming site mentioned in this thread to show it off? That'd get even more attention. And to get the news around, we can spread the word through xbox live, playstation network, & any other websites that the fans use that "If they want more Brutal Legends, they should take part/support this event and spread the word!"

Sign in to follow this