Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lestroisrois

Do you want Brutal Legend 2?

First,all that shit's in the manual. If you don't have a manual,you didn't buy new. And that makes you scum in the eyes of the devs cause they don't see money from second hand sales. Unless they're secretly supplying the secondary market with new stuff. Which I wouldn't put past them.

As for tutorials,well,watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=VypMb4vpzGU&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_663004&v=XAxNUJLNOuI

Most of the stuff that's "missing" isn't missing. It's just supposed to be learned by playing the game. For example,enemy leaders aren't unkillable,they just take off if you do enough damage. If you use the Anvil to keep them from flying away,you can kill them. You can also still hit them in the air with lightning from your guitar if you lock on to them before they take off. Which is why I take the Soul Sucker axe and lightning guitar. It makes sure I win fights and the lightning becomes a great way to kill even tough enemies quickly.

And really,what kind of idiot doesn't go exploring in an open world game? If you got spaces on your solo bar,there's more solos to get. GO FIND THEM!!

Yeah, I know, I know... In theory, the game teaches you 95% of the stuff you need to know for a stage battle... But from looking at the public reaction to them, it's pretty clear that it didn't work in practice. Was this due to the somewhat lacking ingame tutorialization, or the misleading marketing? I honestly can't say. Maybe if the game had been advertised as an action-RTS from the beginning, people would have worked out the stuff that wasn't explained on their own... But it wasn't, and they didn't, so obviously something went wrong somewhere along the way. Proof that people are idiots? Sure, but unfortunately, people are who games are bought by, so if you have to throw in extra explanation to get people to get into your mindset and see the game from your perspective, then so be it.

I don't know if that necessarily means people are stupid for not reading the instruction manual. I never read the instructions anymore. Games today don't really need them and many don't even have them. I said before that Tim actually said in one of the podcasts that the game needed to do a better job at teaching people how to play it. Merlynn defending the game about what it teaches you is silly when the director of the game says they did a bad job of it. There was plenty in the game that I didn't know about until reading what a lot of you guys were posting in here. These were things that weren't in the manual either. Does that mean I'm an idiot for not knowing these things or reading the manual? I don't think so. In fact I know I'm a pretty smart guy.

You don't need the instruction manual for the game. It did a fine job explaining things, people are just idiots. What did it do a bad job on? Other than stressing the rally flag

You don't need the instruction manual for the game. It did a fine job explaining things, people are just idiots. What did it do a bad job on? Other than stressing the rally flag
When does the game tell you that you can double team with the stage or the lights? When does the game tell you that the last two Artifacts of Legends get unlocked when you beat the game? Again defending the game on these grounds is ridiculous when Tim himself said it was a problem in the game. It seems like you guys are just acting out of blind loyalty towards the game.

I never said you were stupid for not reading the manual. Although it is kind of dumb to have information on hand,not use that information,and then complain about a lack of information. I said you're an idiot if you don't go exploring in an open world game. That's kind of the point of open world games,you can go exploring and use that freedom to find hidden goodies and such. And none of the solos are absolutely necessary. You can go through the whole game without them and still win. It's harder,but it can be done. And if you know what you're doing,you can easily find and use them with a little exploration. But that's true of any video game. The player who knows more about the game is just going to have an easier time of it. Knowledge is power. If you choose not to use that knowledge,it's your own damn fault.

Maybe it's my decades of gaming experience,maybe I'm just more patient than most people,maybe it's because I don't give up when the going gets tough,or maybe it's just that I like action games and RTS games. But I sat down with BL on a rental,fell in love with it,and bought right away at full price. In fact,I recently got a copy for the PS3 so I can play it in the comp room. It's still an awesome game. But,unfortunately,it's too ahead of it's time. People don't want to learn new things. Hell,they don't even want to learn old things. Why,I remember back in the day when we done got Unreal Tournament 1 and I loved the fact you could order your AI teammates to do things like guard a certain point or go and make a run on the enemy flag while I defended ours. It brought a huge new level of innovation to FPS games.

Compare that to most games where you can't do anything with the AI NPCs. You can't tell them to stay here or go out and kill or anything. Even in the sequels the AI doesn't seem as good,but at least you can still order it around. And that's the sad thing. All too often I have to put up with these brainless AIs than I can't even issue basic commands to. They just run around doing stupid shit and I get punished for it. Guys,it's time we acknowledge that the FPS doesn't have to be a brainless twitch-fest. In fact,only noobs play them that way. The best FPS players use their heads. They don't walk into trap after trap after trap and never learn. In fact,most players complain when they're FORCED to do something they know is stupid to push the game forward. In fact,any game where you're supposed to be in charge of someone else,you should have the right to issue orders. I don't care if it's the basic voice menu of UT1 or the full on holo-HUD of Republic Commando,you should be able to take charge of a situation if you're supposed to be the big hero everyone loves.

So in summation,your head,use it or lose it.

I never said you were stupid for not reading the manual. Although it is kind of dumb to have information on hand,not use that information,and then complain about a lack of information. I said you're an idiot if you don't go exploring in an open world game.
If you're saying me in particular is an idiot, I take umbridge. I did find all the solos in my first play through. I found a lot of them by accident though. I don't remember the game ever explaining to you that they were hidden in places. Hell, they pretty much give you the first few.

When does the game tell you that you can double team with the stage or the lights. When does the game tell you that the last two Artifacts of Legends get unlocked when you beat the game. Again defending the game on these grounds is ridiculous when Tim himself said it was a problem in the game. It seems like you guys are just acting out of blind loyalty towards the game.

The multiplayer tutorial tells about he lights and fog, and the artifacts are collectables. The game should not tell you where collectables are, you should have to go out and find them. Tim Schafer was probably pressured into saying that, and frankly, he was not doing allot of the things the game teaches you when I played him in multiplayer.

When does the game tell you that you can double team with the stage or the lights. When does the game tell you that the last two Artifacts of Legends get unlocked when you beat the game. Again defending the game on these grounds is ridiculous when Tim himself said it was a problem in the game. It seems like you guys are just acting out of blind loyalty towards the game.

The multiplayer tutorial tells about he lights and fog, and the artifacts are collectables. The game should not tell you where collectables are, you should have to go out and find them. Tim Schafer was probably pressured into saying that, and frankly, he was not doing allot of the things the game teaches you when I played him in multiplayer.

He didn't say it in any promotional thing. He said in on the podcast that they recorded themselves. I don't see how he was pressured by anyone since when they made the podcast it was after EA stopped caring about the game.

OK maybe you're right, but I still think he is wrong. I am pretty bad at video games, and the only thing I feel the game didn't teach me about was the rally flag.

Well,since you found the solos,you obviously explored. Therefore,you wouldn't normally qualify as an idiot under the terms I have set forth. But on the other hand,you feel you need to be told to go look for hidden shit in an open world game. So it's really hard to place you using the standard I've set. So I'll just let you call it. Largely cause I don't care if you're an idiot or not as it isn't my problem.

Well,since you found the solos,you obviously explored. Therefore,you wouldn't normally qualify as an idiot under the terms I have set forth. But on the other hand,you feel you need to be told to go look for hidden shit in an open world game. So it's really hard to place you using the standard I've set. So I'll just let you call it. Largely cause I don't care if you're an idiot or not as it isn't my problem.
My point was that they put the first few solos right in plan sight. Most people would assume that the rest would then be in plain sight. It's bad design to have it set up that way. And when the hell did I ever say I wouldn't try to look for hidden things in an open world game. I mean I found the solos, but I was looking for other shit when I did. I never thought the solos would be hidden, since (again) the first three weren't hidden. I would also like to point out I have never played an open world game where so many of the necessary objects were hidden. I mean GTA has hidden packages and guns and stuff, but you can still go to the gunstores if you don't know where they are.

And you can push through Brutal Legend without all the solos. They aren't necessary,they just make the game easier. And you obviously didn't read the instructions too clearly when you got your first solo from a tab (the one that summons the car) which said they were hidden all over the world. And in the tour book. Reading is fun!

Brutal Legend is awesome, i never finished it and i just started playing it again.

Please make a Brutal Legend 2!

I really wish there was a Co-op mode, if this game had a Co-op campaign(splitscreen would work too!) it would have alot more hits, that and LAN

I've just finished a re-play of Brutal Legend (I get the urge to replay this game constantly) and I'm furious about the lack of a sequel all over again. It's a testament to the strength of the writing and the performances that I'm so desperate for more. It did so much, and yet there was so much more it could've done given the chance. There are so many things I'm dying to know! What did the future hold for Eddie and Ophelia? Is the Tainted Coil really finished? Would we ever have heard the full story behind Riggnarok and Succoria? WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THAT BLACK TEAR!?

I swear it's one of the greatest injustices in gaming history. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.

I wonder, has anyone ever asked or heard anything from Double Fine re: exploring the story in another format? Tim Schafer is obviously a hugely busy man, but I would eat my own face for a graphic novel or something.

I swear it's one of the greatest injustices in gaming history. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.

I wonder, has anyone ever asked or heard anything from Double Fine re: exploring the story in another format? Tim Schafer is obviously a hugely busy man, but I would eat my own face for a graphic novel or something.

I would love a graphic novel or manga, like a 10 part or so series of the events leading up to the game(it wasn't like the black tear rebellion was a few months ago, it was about 20 years before eddie arrived) so having a novel or webseries(other people have done it, look at meet the team) would help keep the game relevant and help new people get into the series and also sate the hunger your fans already have for the game

Serious tim you have some serious untapped potential goldmine here

The main thing I would say is we all want a second one and Tim has even said he would love to make another,but the question is how? The thing is I believe he should start a kickstarter and earn money hell he just earned over three million dollars for a point and click adventure game while you may say that isn't enough,but I am not saying to use it to entirely fund the game because it would need millions more however what I am saying is to start it and use the money given to start up and shop around for publishers.To continue what do I think they should add I think a new faction that would be fun would be a maybe some sort of "Core" faction like or something similar,but that is just me.I just think that using kickstarter could help get this started.

Well,here's what I'd do. I'd start a kickstarter to do a "directer's cut". It was obvious that the game was intended to be longer,but development hell cut it short. So what I'm thinking is,you use kickstarter to fund an expansion so Tim can finish the game properly. A lot of the dialogue and out takes can probably be recycled,so we can probably keep celebrity voice actor use to a minimum,and after that,it's just altering the map and maybe making new units. Throw in a PC port for the game for gravy and see what all happens.

Since you don't have to do a lot of the core programming,the money's mostly going to level design and additional units. Maybe voice actors if they're needed. Usually what happens is they record a whole bunch of stuff that isn't used,so they probably won't have to do that if they saved all the sound files from development. As for a PC adaption,well,there's some Xbox 360 emulators out there. Tim could probably data mine them for an easy way to convert the game to PC.

I think if they made a second brutal legend with at the beginning we shortly play as Riggnarok during his hay day up until he goes back in time, then i jumps forward to Eddie Riggs today a short time after he defeated Emperor D. and now a new story starts with a new risen enemy long forgotten, as for multiplayer, maybe it be like Dead Rising 2 with 2 Eddie's and you can have Co-op, and for vs MP maybe along with Stage Battling you have BL versions of some classic games like Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch where the goal is to kill certain people for points, like the lowest end units like the Headbangers are worth only 5 points per kill and as it moves up you get more points and if you kill the player, ex. Eddie you get 100pts. and it goes up to 2000 or something, just adapting classic MP game types with BL style of combat would add a lot of depth and get more peoples attention. Or even just make a small arcade type game that you would buy for $15 off the Xbox or Ps3 and then just that would inspire people for a full on BL squeal and get more people interested. I mean BL was just the first game, ALL first games have somethings wrong with them, look at Dead Rising 1, the missions were back to back, you had no time to just kill zombies, until you got to like level 20 you would die from the first boss battle, but they took all those complaints and made them better in Dead Rising 2, the words you could actually read from having a bigger font, the bosses couldn't kill you in two hits even at a low level, you had a little bit more spare time in between missions and they even made it better in DR2 Off The Record, the bosses had a hit limit so the easier boss wouldn't die so easy when your leveled up all the way, they added checkpoints(finally) the communicator is a wireless head set so you can now hear the words other than just reading them and you can still fight without cutting them off. The point is now they know all of whats wrong and what could be better for Brutal Legend 2, all they have to do is believe in it, try it and it would be a great game. And if EA doesn't think BL deserves a sequel then they are dead wrong. Just get them to give up or sell the rights to someone else, like square enix, ubisoft or bioware. I'm not giving up on Brutal Legend, not as long as metal's blood runs through my veins!

Why do you keep comparing Brütal Legend to Dead Rising? They're nothing alike and Dead Rising sucks lol

You shut your mouth.

Also, he wasn't comparing DR to BL he was using it as an example of a game which sequel fixed a lot of problems from the first game. (I don't know if that's true, haven't played DR2)

It's about keeping the spark alive PK, it's been three years but you gotta stay optimistic. I've seen some old threads on it, but I think we should do what Iron Brigade forums has been doing recently by stockpiling a bunch of cool ideas in a single thread that we can all build on for fun.

I for one believe a monster truck straddled by the xaulia was sorely missed in BL 1.

\mm/

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Brutal Legend is one of my favorite games and every time a new album drops it makes me think of summoning the Deuce and running over some demons. A sequel needs to happen and it simply needs to be MORE: more weapons, vehicles customizations, factions, lands/realms, monsters, music, cameos, jokes!

Dinosuars, dragons, Dio, Les Pauls, leviathans, krakens, Pantera, sirens, Witchcraft and witches, SGs, monster trucks, tanks, quickfire guitar solos, volcanoes, hurricanes, Rhoads V's, Mastodon and mastodons, alien overlords, Sepultura, Graveyard and graveyards, The Sword, werewolves, hammers anvils and forges, 3 Inches of Blood, robot killing machines, Fear Factory, Machine Head, metal snakes, piranhas, Kerry King, necrotizing fasciitis, EVH solos, and Co-op!

That's all I've got at this moment. But it's a start.

"The power of the riff compels me"

I'd love to see a Brutal Legend Special edition with an improved single player... I'm not an MP person and single player feels abridged.

Though at this point I'm just pleased to be able to play it after 3 1/2 freckin' years

Just for the signature thing i recommend you post the signature to the steam Brutal Legend forums probably this tuesday coming considering all the bug posts will drown it out. And anything kick starter BL related i would fund

If I won the powerball and won like 200 million dollars what did Tim say? 30 some million for a BL sequel? Id poney up for half of that cost, hell even 2/3rds of it. Here's to me winning the lotto tomorrow!

I'd love a sequel, but not at the expense of the smaller titles that we've been getting fairly regularly for the past few years. I'd rather have 1-2 Double Fine games every year than one game every 3-4 years.

Sign in to follow this