Sign in to follow this  
J Pro Design

Grim Fandango 2

I would just die from excitement if this was to ever be made. The original Grim Fandango is my favourite game of all time. I play it all the time to just watch it like I'm watching a movie. It has one of the best and most original stories I've ever experienced in a video game and I would love to see a sequel in some shape or form. Does anyone else agree?

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen anytime soon. LucasArts owns the IP, and they don't seem too interested in bringing it back. They apparently never sell their IP either, so no one else can try to make a sequel.

What about just licensing the IP? Why wouldn't they let another company use their IP on a case by case basis?

Because they are jerks? I would love to see something else happen with Grim Fandango as well, but I've come to terms with the fact that it will never happen, haha. Lucasarts will never let anyone have it!

***may contain spoilers***

I don't see a point in making a sequel to grim. I'd like a HD version, not a remake, as I love the simplified shapes of the Original models. I assume the backgrounds were drawn in higher res. Also wouldn't mind it being more stable.

I don't see why another game with references to Grim couldn't be made if they wanted to. It's not like Lucas owns reapers and land of the dead... But I don't see how the story of Manny and Meche will continue as they have reached the afterlife. I would love for it to become a movie some day as the world and story deserves a bigger audience.

I also want to what other worlds the DF crew can come up with. They really do represent the little part of the game industry that I always dreamt of being a part as while I was growing up.

Agreed that Grim Fandango 2 would be an amazing thing to have happen, although the chances are slim we'll be seeing that anytime soon. Would be cool if Double Fine could muster up the $ required to use the license at some point.

^^Everything Howlstone said!

I love Grim Fandango so much, and while I longed for a sequel or something else with it for a long time, I don't think it's needed, or would even necessarily make sense? Also, no matter what, I'm pretty sure Lucasarts will never, ever, ever give it up. All I want is for them to re-release it, for download or something, so that I can play it again. I seriously doubt they'll even do that though. As far as new games though, I really just want to see Double Fine do something interesting and new!

all that said i would totally buy grim fandango 2 in a heartbeat if the original folks were involved

Grim Fandango was my first adventure game and it was tough but I kept going because it was such a great journey and, for me, still the best of them all. I don't want a sequel. I don't even see how you could make one unless you haul Manny and Meche out of the Ninth Underworld and pretty much ruin the original ending. Grim is right just as it is. Leave it alone.

If Lucas Arts digs Grim up from the oblivion to which they've consigned it and lets go of it I'll faint. Fat chance. But it is available, Conrad, and playable. All you need is the launcher from quick.mixnmojo and you can play it even on Win 7.

The Double Fine Adventure will be something brand new. Not a sequel or port or anything like that.

Thanks for wanting more Grim! :)

But since that's not part of DFA there's no point in discussing it here. Same goes for the hypothetical Psychonauts 2.

Yes! To clarify, I don't want a sequel. I think it would probably cheapen the original ending too!

I'm just a sucker, so if one was ever made, I would have to buy it, haha. Luckily that will never happen, so I think we're okay.

And I can't play it again because I don't have the game anymore! My copy got destroyed a couple years ago. It was a very sad day.

Edit: Erk! Sorry for discussing it here! I know it's not happening, I was just... replying to the thread, to say it wasn't happening, and then got carried away, haha. *feels bad*

Because they are jerks? I would love to see something else happen with Grim Fandango as well, but I've come to terms with the fact that it will never happen, haha. Lucasarts will never let anyone have it!

Why not? They let Telltale make a Monkey Island game. Not to mention three seasons of Sam & Max.

Grim Fandango is a masterpiece in itself. I'm not really sure I would ever want a sequel.

Perhaps a HD release some time in the future - but thats for another project.

Why not? They let Telltale make a Monkey Island game. Not to mention three seasons of Sam & Max.

Sam & Max isnt owned by lucasarts they lost the license because they didnt make anymore games with sam & max and it went back to steve purcel who is the creator of it. Thats why telltale was able to use sam and max. They did license monkey island though.

well said loadinglevelone..

I also think grim is one of the best games ever made and I thought about how much I would want them to make a sequel but I'm really not sure I would. It is very unlikely for a sequel to live up to the expectations that have built up during all these years and we don't want our grim to be ruined!

I want Grim Fandango to forever be but a beutiful memory.

Grim Fandango is a masterpiece in itself. I'm not really sure I would ever want a sequel.

This. No need for a sequel for a masterpiece like Grim Fandango, which had a proper and beautiful ending.

What about Monkey Island 6??? Who owns the rights?

That would be AWESOME!

I hope you mean Monkey Island 3, the sequel and ending of the originals by Ron Gilbert! :)

Anyway Lucas hold the IP and won't sell it for free...

This. No need for a sequel for a masterpiece like Grim Fandango, which had a proper and beautiful ending.

What about Monkey Island 6??? Who owns the rights?

That would be AWESOME!

I hope you mean Monkey Island 3, the sequel and ending of the originals by Ron Gilbert! :)

Anyway Lucas hold the IP and won't sell it for free...

Found monkey island 3 pretty good even though it was made by other people.

What about just licensing the IP? Why wouldn't they let another company use their IP on a case by case basis?

They could, this is what they did for the Telltale Monkey Island game. But it complicates matters.

1) Lucas is going to want to publish

2) Because Lucas is going to want to publish, they're going to need to believe in the financial viability of the project

LucasArts has changed heads more times than I can count and they flip flop on this issue a lot. It could happen, but the stars would have to align at the right moment to do it. It seems pretty unlikely, but you never know.

Where are the MI3 writers? That game was funny.

They started a company called Crackpot Entertainment, who made an episodic game called Insecticide that I liked a lot, but they never made the second episode (it was planned as a 2 parter) and now they make a bunch of kids crap I don't care about.

There's a full version of Insecticide (non episodic) on Nintendo DS, too, but I don't think it's as good as the PC one.

I would appreciate similarity to Grim Fandango, e.g.

- an exotic setting

- strange but charismatic characters

- exceptional design of characters

@J Pro Design

Believe me dude...

I love Grim Fandango more than any other adventure game i've ever played. And i played a lot of adventure games!!

But man, u dont want to have a GF2. I'm sure about that! You know why?

Because GF has a finished story and the game is perfect as it is. A GF2 would destroy the, so called "Soul of the Game"!

As Tim Schafer told us before:

If he did a Full Thorttle 2 instead of Grim Fandango, we would have never played GF...

so everybody, lets be excited for the new adventure game by Double Fine. A journey to a totally different place!

i really don't think there should be a sequel to Grim Fandango.

The game was amazing, i've played through it many times, and i love the way the story and characters progress. it ends in a way which does not warrant a sequel at all.

I like to think that the ending has manny entering a plane that is literally nothingness, it's the peace that comes from non-existence that, in my mind, gives the game full closure. in fact it's my favourite thing about the whole game. If there is a sequel, and Manny and Meche are around for it, I would be disappointed from the beginning.

A higher res remake would be great, but i'd hope there would be care made to not overproduce the music and graphics. I hated the "special edition" release of monkey island for this reason.

Dragging up an old topic since it sounds like Disney wants to license or get rid of Lucas Arts IP. Maybe something can happen on this front?

How about kickstarting the purchase of some IPs from Lucasarts and that it has closed?

e.g. We need 4.000.000 $ to purchase the IPs for Full Throttle

It could work!!!

How about kickstarting the purchase of some IPs from Lucasarts and that it has closed?

e.g. We need 4.000.000 $ to purchase the IPs for Full Throttle

It could work!!!

I think if you managed to do that you will have proven that the IP is worth more than that successfully enough to raise the price.

I think if you managed to do that you will have proven that the IP is worth more than that successfully enough to raise the price.

Hah! you are right, if the kickstarter is successful Disney will say, "Ok, now i want 5.000.000 EUR" :)

Hah! you are right, if the kickstarter is successful Disney will say, "Ok, now i want 5.000.000 EUR" :)

Yeah, and they'd be completely correct to do so. No joke intended. This is one thing that crowdsourcing just can't help with.