Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ioncannon

Favourite Metal Band?

First, sorry if this was posted before!

Anyway since Brutal Legend has a heavy metal theme to it, what is your favourite metal band? I myself go for power and folk metal, and some of my favourite bands are:

Blind Guardian

Hammerfall

Manowar

Finntroll

Korpiklaani

Helloween

Iron Maiden

What about you guys?

Pantera

White Zombie (not to be confused for Rob Zombie's solo stuff)

Black Sabbath

Megadeth

80's Metallica

Motorhead

Green Jello (now known as Green Jelly..

) >>LOL<<

Other appreciations metal and/or otherwise:

Van Halen

Rage Against the Machine

System of a Down

Down

Snot

Korn

Deftones

Incubus

Rush

Steve Miller Band

Iron Maiden

System of a Down isnt really hardcore..right? anyways you want some hard core music check this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BOp9w_Y6pI

Its the opening Theme and ending Theme for Death Note Great show but this song has some odd words the part where he says the same thing over and over he is saying "Hey hey Human sucker, Hey hey Human Fu*ker!" and then gets hard core and i dont feel like translating but yeah its hard core.

I'm not a big metal fan, but I listen to some of the bands occasionally. These include Mastodon, Tool, Metallica and Pantera.

As a Finn, I sometimes feel like I should be listening to a lot more of it.

EDIT:

is the best metal video I have seen, btw.

System of a Down isnt really hardcore..right? anyways you want some hard core music check this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BOp9w_Y6pI

Its the opening Theme and ending Theme for Death Note Great show but this song has some odd words the part where he says the same thing over and over he is saying "Hey hey Human sucker, Hey hey Human Fu*ker!" and then gets hard core and i dont feel like translating but yeah its hard core.

SoAD isn't really "hardcore" but they are heavy compared to other popular artists in the genre they are in for alternative/heavy rock and roll.

That music from the youtube you posted.. sounded like a blend of System of a Down + Lost Prophets + Static X , or something like those bands but blended together somehow. Does anyone remember Snapcase? They were new style hardcore back in the 90's but classified under "punk" in most places I seen their albums for sale. Here is one of their videos:

What I have always loved about Blind Guardian and Hammerfall was there epic feel to them. Another band I recall that has the same type of music is Rhapsody. Some examples are:

Blind Guardian - Time Stands Still at the Iron Hill http://youtube.com/watch?v=M155UIfxFPA

Hammerfall - Riders of the Storm

Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry (There is a intro bit at the start before the music begins)

I was going to put something like "ABBA is my favorite metal band! lawl!", but then I realized that would be stupid and not funny.

SoaD, the kids in my school were really, really into them at one point. I was so tired of "Bring your own Bomb" by the end of it.

I don't know a whole lot about metal, but some of what I heard is not too bad. I draw the line when they start screaming loud and incoherently, though. I remember listening to a band called something like "Cradle/Children of Filth". I got a headache.

I too am not a big metal fan. I used to be, when I was around 14/15, which was around 5-6 years or so ago (I was on the Mudvayne bandwagon before LD50-- can I get a grampus Huzzah?); and then I found music I really took with an eclectic collection from various genre's. The only oldish bands I can really tolerate now are Tool & NIN, who really possessed something special; they certainly are masters of the craft. Unsure as to what sub-genre of Metal they fall under, though. At the Drive in are not really Metal, but they were called ''Emo'' before it became a fashion scene and frame of mind. I still think ''Relationship of Command'' is one of the greatest Rock albums of all time. Turbonegro are more Death Punk, but I still love their collective socks.

Also, Freedom, check out Aerials by SOAD. It is the only song from them that I particularly enjoy.

Mudvayne (A song about the Serial killer Ed Gein)

SOAD's aerials

Turbonergo (have some of the best stage names around)

I'd probably go for the newest Amon Amarth album, With Oden on Our Side.

That is, if you like this song

link

edit: loltags.

It's pretty much impossible to try and tell someone which album to buy or artist to listen, if you have no idea what kind of stuff he/she is into. It's not like one metal band is simply better than the other one. They may be completely different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_genres

You should first tell us what kind of metal you would like to hear, and more importantly, what you will absolutely not want to hear. What do you find most important in music? Should it be serious or not? And so on..

Probably the easier way would be to head to Youtube and start to listen different bands and go from there.

hmm.. I haven't listened to enough metal to give you any great suggestions, but here's one that might suit you: Tool. It's not too hardcore (some may categorize it as rock even), and you should be able to understand what they are saying*. The mp3 samples on wikipedia are probably small enough for your connection, so listen to those if you are interested.

If nothing else, you can at least admire the art:

10 000 Days

Lateralus (the cover has six layers)

*But it will be a lot harder to understand what they are meaning.

I can't watch the Youtube, because I have dial-up. It's a curse, I know.

Okay, I don't want to listen to something really, really hardcore and violent. Like where the singer is screaming or growling like crazy. (I would like to have a fighting chance at actually understanding what words they are singing.) So I guess no death or black metal. Give me some lighter, less scary metal, please.

You have a ton of choices

Try Metallica: buy any of Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All, or the self titled one.

Judas Priest: Screaming Vengance

Iron Maiden: Poweslave or The Number of the Beast

Mercyful Fate: Don't Break the Oath (might be "creepy")

Iced Earth: The Dark Saga

Good Luck

Out of the above suggestions, i'd probably go for the Iced Earth album.

Great stuff.

I'm more of an alternative metal kind of guy, but I still like the standards like Metallica (Cliff Era), Slayer, Black Sabbath, etc, and power metal like Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, and Dragonforce (although I'll be the first to say that Inhuman Rampage was a giant pile of doodie). A few of my favorite metal bands are The Melvins, Fear Factory, Mr. Bungle, Napalm Death (Lee Dorian Era), Gorguts, Solitude Aeturnus, Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum, Dismember, and Finntroll, to name a few.

Wow I don't even know where to start since there are so many great Metal bands that I love so much....ok well maybe I do know where to start, lets start with the Metal Gods!!!

Yeah, you guessed it, above all other bands, I love Judas Priest!!!

Other of my favorites bands include:

-Megadeth

-Helloween

-Metalium

-GammaRay

-Manowar

I also need to mention other bands that I love:

-Primal Fear

-Helstar (and all other James Rivera bands, including Destiny's End, Distant Thunder, Seven Witches, Vicious Rumors, etc)

-Hammerfall

-Racer X

-Dream Evil

-Dragonforce

-Iced Earth

-Stratovarius

The list goes can go on since I still have not mentioned bands like Slayer, Anthrax, Flotsam and Jetsam, Dio, Malmsteen, Testament, Beyond Fear, Firewind, Symphony X, King Diamond, Lost Horizon, Rhapshody, etc....etc...

I just love good Metal!!!

Yay! Metal.

Lamb of God-Randy Blythe is a unique vocalist

Finntroll-They're influenced by a brand of folk black metal called "hummpa" and that's just awesome

Tenacious D-That which defiles the Metal shall be driven into the ground by it's face

Annihilatrix-Illinois based death metal group on myspace with kick ass riffs

Dethklok-What can you say about these guys; they're just brutal

Motorhead-The only card I need is the Ace of Spades

Serj Tankian-His solo album Elect the Dead was great because it was hard like SOAD in Steal This Album or Toxicity but had a beautiful variety to the instruments used such as piano and violin

Powerman 5000- Vocals and unique technolectric combo

Rob Zombie-Just plain f***ing metal. The heavy-handed industrial points to most of his music are great. Even in Super Sexy Swingin' Sounds and American-made Music To Strip By he combined metal and impressive techno beats.

Skindred- Really hard Reggaeton and sweet guitar licks

Slipknot- Driven by pure anger, they do everything metal

Finntroll-They're influenced by a brand of folk black metal called "hummpa" and that's just awesome

Humppa is actually Finnish folk dance music. But you're right that Finntroll's music has humppa elements.

Okay, I picked up the Iced Earth album. I'm putting it in the disk tray now. Wish me luck.
I doubt you'll be disapointed, good luck. :D

The verdict is in. I like it! Totally better then what I was expecting. So, thanks for the suggestions, folks. I might have to go buy more CDs now.

If you liked that, and you don't mind cheesey, then you should try Manowar, however I have to say listen to them before you buy anything.

You should pick up A Night at the Opera or Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian. Speaking of Iced Earth: The guitarist from Iced Earth, and the singer from Blind Guardian teamed up together to create Demons and Wizards, a merge of two different music styles.

In descending order of favouritism:

Machinae Supremacy

Arch Enemy

Wintersun

Iron Maiden

Cradle of Filth (their rating is artificially inflated because of how much I love their cover of "Hallowed Be Thy Name")

Otep

Lordi (it's more rock, but meh)

Black Sabbath

Finntroll

Norther

I do like the occasional song from Pantera, Jack Off Jill, In Flames, etc. But it's not the predominant thing.

And I can't STAND Metallica and I hope they all die in a fire because of what they did to Napster.

Yah I'm not so into the metal scene. But I mostly like older stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and old metallica. I'm mostly a 60-70 prog rock person myself. I listen to bands like rush and yes and Pink Floyd and Emerson, lake and palmer. As far as current bands go I love the White Stripes and bluesy stuff in general and radiohead and stuff.

Since this was a good thread for helping a man get into metal, could someone help me get into more metal? Specifically, the Death and Black generes. I really liked Slayer's "Reign in Blood" and Dismember's "Like an Ever Flowing Stream". I was hoping to find something with a lower vocal register, in the same vein as Canibal Corpse.

Since this was a good thread for helping a man get into metal, could someone help me get into more metal? Specifically, the Death and Black generes. I really liked Slayer's "Reign in Blood" and Dismember's "Like an Ever Flowing Stream". I was hoping to find something with a lower vocal register, in the same vein as Canibal Corpse.

Death metal as in growling?

Arch Enemy (it's a chick, but she growls, so it's awesome), At The Gates (is pretty famous but I don't like his voice personally), maybe Amon Amarth or Finntroll (Finntroll isn't in English, but it's very growly and folky. Amon Amarth has most of its stuff in English but the occasional swedish song does exist, BUT I don't like most of their stuff).

Or Cradle of Filth, who does an amazing death metal cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" which is what got me into death metal in the first place.

Death metal as in growling?

Arch Enemy (it's a chick, but she growls, so it's awesome), At The Gates (is pretty famous but I don't like his voice personally), maybe Amon Amarth or Finntroll (Finntroll isn't in English, but it's very growly and folky. Amon Amarth has most of its stuff in English but the occasional swedish song does exist, BUT I don't like most of their stuff).

Or Cradle of Filth, who does an amazing death metal cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" which is what got me into death metal in the first place.

To continue to help, not that I am the biggest Death Metal/Black Metal fan, but you could also check out stuff like:

Death Metal: Carcass, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity and Quo Vadis (lesser know band from Montreal, they play progressive death metal)

Black Metal: Mercyful Fate, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir

With that being said, if you like Slayer, you might want to check out more Thrash Metal, bands like Exodus, Sepultura, Overkill, Kreator, etc. Also, you should probably check out Venom and Death as they were big parts in creating Black and Death Metal.

Oh, and not that I know for sure, but I though Cradle of Filth were more on the Black Metal side of things.

Sign in to follow this