• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
loadinglevelone

How far do you think the pledge will go?

How high will the pledge get?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. How high will the pledge get?

• $2 million
    • $2,5 million
    • $3 million
    • $3,5 million
    • $4 million
    • $4,5 million
    • $5 million
    • >5 million

My guess is 2.5M$

i'd like more but seeing how slow it went (slow but sure still growing !)

i think we'll get mr. Schafer a nice pack of money to work with.

internet can sometime achieve such wonderfull things ^__^

My guess is 2.5M$

i'd like more but seeing how slow it went (slow but sure still growing !)

i think we'll get mr. Schafer a nice pack of money to work with.

internet can sometime achieve such wonderfull things ^__^

2.2 to 2.5 million seems like the conservative guess, but if they start talking about all the neat things they can do with more money, they might be able to scrape 3.

Don't forget the panic-mode at the end for people who want in on the rewards. That could get us an extra 500k.

Don't forget the panic-mode at the end for people who want in on the rewards. That could get us an extra 500k.

hahaha i totally forgot about that mode, i hope it can reach 3M$ then :)

Al4MztkCMAAmizZ.jpg

Looks like after the first couple days, you can see a pretty steady line. I'm not saying that won't fall off, but it hasn't fallen off much so far. If you carried that line to the end, it'd be like 3.5 million.

That line in that graph isn't as steady as it looks. The rate slowed to a crawl the day before the video update, and the boost from the video update was more than enough to compensate for the slow 24 hours before that. But the boost is already falling off, and it seems unlikely subsequent updates would all have a similar effect. It'll hit 2 million quite easily now of course, but 2.5 is still going to need a lot of help.

I love being a "patron of the arts". This is my second Kickstarter pledge so far!

If I can add a little *HINT HINT* to the devs, I might be persuaded to increase my pledge depending on whether and what details they might leak about the game before the pledge drive is over! My $15 pledge is because I like SCUMM games and like the idea of sticking it to the man (the big publishers, in this case), but knowing more about the project could increase my pledge.

The game is going to hit the 2 million dollar mark today, or tomorrow! I'm certain of it!!!!!

Check it out!

The game is going to hit the 2 million dollar mark today, or tomorrow! I'm certain of it!!!!!

Check it out!

With current speed its going it will take about 2.5 days to get to 2 million.

Once it gets close, I plan on going to the page where you donate, constantly refresh the main page, and once it's a reasonable amount away from 2mil, donate the remainder just for the sake of being able to claim that I was "that guy".

There will be an increase once we hit 2 million. Gaming sites all over the world will be reporting about DF breaking the 2 mil mark.

There will be an increase once we hit 2 million. Gaming sites all over the world will be reporting about DF breaking the 2 mil mark.

This is true, but then I don't think it will net DF anymore money. By this point, everyone who is interested in this game who are willing to part with their money for its creation (such as us lot) have already donated. To reach the 2.5mill mark I think some of use might need to plunge a little deeper into our pockets.

By this point, everyone who is interested in this game who are willing to part with their money for its creation (such as us lot) have already donated.

This just isn't true. Maybe it's true for the people that have heard of it, the people that follow gaming news, but there's a huge number of people who still probably haven't seen this, but loved Day of the Tentacle back in the day or whatever. My dad, for example, has probably not heard of this, but loves LucasArts adventures and would probably donate.

It's all about making headlines and getting more eyes. As long as new people keep seeing it, new people will keep donating.

Also there are a large number of people who don't understand that the money doesn't get taken from your account for another 25 days. I've had to tell at least 2 or 3 people that myself who otherwise would be waiting until the very end.

The people who have pledged so far is a great number but it's nothing compared to the total number of people who might possibly be persuaded to pledge.

Also, need to think about the up-sell. What can they be doing to persuade someone who pledged $15 that they should actually pledge $30? All of this sounds a bit opportunistic and sleazy, but hey, it is business and it's the sort of thing they will have to think about if they want to get the most out of the kickstarter, and in the end it will contribute to a better game.

Does anybody know if pledges increase significantly on the last day of a kickstarter project? I couldn't find figures of other projects to check it.

Does anybody know if pledges increase significantly on the last day of a kickstarter project? I couldn't find figures of other projects to check it.

I think it depends entirely on the project and can vary for example projects that are nearly at 100% are more likely to see a boost at the end, because backers will up their pledge to make sure it goes through or pledge if they were unsure before, but here are some other ones:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/09/how-i-raised-125000-on-kickstarter/ - typical example of what I just described

http://triplethreadapparel.com/blog/funding-graph-from-kickstarte - shows a small but significant bump at the end

http://herbanddorothy.com/blog/archives/336 - an interesting one where there's quite a big bump right at the end.

This is true, but then I don't think it will net DF anymore money. By this point, everyone who is interested in this game who are willing to part with their money for its creation (such as us lot) have already donated. To reach the 2.5mill mark I think some of use might need to plunge a little deeper into our pockets.

Not true, I haven't donated yet. I refuse to use any credit cards. I will soon give money to someone I know who will then donate my money for me. If only Kickstarter had Paypal.

We have 23 days left and are almost at 2 million.

You people make me feel good to be human. 8*^D

It has almost grind to a complete halt now.

Yesterday it looked like it might hit $2 million by the end of the weekend. Not so sure now.

Maybe when Mr. Schafer make a new update about the project,

it might push more people in funding money.

Some are still waiting to get more infos ;)

as for me i didnt need infos xD

TAKE MY MONEY @_@

Also, need to think about the up-sell. What can they be doing to persuade someone who pledged $15 that they should actually pledge $30?

I think that what Rich Burlew did for the Order of the Stick Kickstarter was pretty smart, in that he gave a zillion options so people can select what fits them best. I can easily see quite a few options added to the Double Fine Kickstarter that will get people to pay more:

- Get another Steam key for the game.

- Get a Steam key for another Double Fine Game

- Get a PDF comic book featuring the game's characters

- Get a PDF comic book featuring some other game's characters (possible several games at once)

- Get a PDF comic book featuring the development process, and mirroring the documentary (perhaps in an exaggerated way)

- A PDF walkthrough of the game

- Print versions of all of the above

- A printed manual

- Burnable DVD / Blu-Ray with well specified extras

- Putting a DVD game on the DVD (that you control with the remote control)

- A physical DVD / Blu-Ray with the above

- A physical disc with a printed manual

- The above in a nice box

I'm sure I could think of more options, these are just low end ones. Signed copies of other Double Fine games, etc.

What's going to stop 60000+ people from uploading the documentary to youtube? Good spirit? Let's be honest here, that's not a really good incentive to donate. Besides, they need as much exposure as they can get, without a marketing budget.

What's going to stop 60000+ people from uploading the documentary to youtube? Good spirit?

You could say the same thing regarding the game "What's going to stop 60000+ people from uploading the game to some pirate site? Good spirit?"

Let's be honest here, that's not a really good incentive to donate. Besides, they need as much exposure as they can get, without a marketing budget.

Is having good adventure games again out there a good reason to support the people who made them? In my opinion, yes.

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers.

I assume every backer will have access to this.

Pledge $30 or more

HD download of the documentary series with extras, Digital game soundtrack, and all previous reward tiers.

The game. Documentary. Extras. OST. To me these are more than enough reasons to pledge 30$.

More exposure?

Well, you can always make use of more but...

Fortunately for everyone, DF has been getting a huge exposure and exceeded the expected budged by a large margin already!

There is still a 1 year production cycle during which interviews can be given to seduce future buyers. And in one year from now the game will probably also be selling in steam like hot cakes.

The game is paid. Every extra they make is company profit, which can be used to make another classic adventure game!

They will surely hit 2.5 M, but I doubt they pass the 3 M line.

They would need to keep the excitement by making new update videos. Ideally showcasing preliminary discussions of the game.

I believe that there are still a lot of people who are still unsure they can deliver a game that is true to the 90s classics. Tim himself jokingly said something like this "do we still remember how to do one of these?"

IMO giving clear and visible signs of this would make people want to secure the game and get their hands on those exclusive extras.

Yes there are lots of people who want this game to succeed, me included, but I doubt all of the 60,000+ people there are complete angels. They will post every backer exclusive out there on the internet for all non-backers to see. Making the rewards less special.

Ah, I was right. The donation rate is back to $2000+ per hour. The 2Mil mark news did the trick.