Sign in to follow this  
Laserschwert

Grim Fandango wall mural - Now at poster size!

Great to see this mural again! After Peter Chan created it, he dutifully handed the original over to LucasArts Marketing, where it probably got shoved into a closet and forgotten about. I've tried to get my hands on the original for years, but I think it's just gone. It might have even been thrown out when they moved to the Presidio. :(

I really like what you've started with your LucasArts posters project. But I have mixed feelings about it. Can I ask you what was behind the decision to remove the creators' names from the box art? We had to fight management for months each time a game came out to make sure we were properly credited. Now it's sad to see they've been removed once again.

What kind of contracts did you have back then at lucasarts? not only didn't you own anything YOU created, you also had to fight to get your names on YOUR creation? Sounds like slavery to me...but I guess you had no other choice.

To me this is like taking away a baby from her mother.

Great to see this mural again! After Peter Chan created it, he dutifully handed the original over to LucasArts Marketing, where it probably got shoved into a closet and forgotten about. I've tried to get my hands on the original for years, but I think it's just gone. It might have even been thrown out when they moved to the Presidio. :(
Ah, so it was Peter Chan's work... do you know who created the actual box artwork? It's a combination of 3D renderings and some painted elements, so I'm not sure if Chan was involved in that one too.. the same goes for the "Full Throttle" artwork. And it looks like a lot of the original artworks got lost at LucasArts in some way or another. Steve Purcell managed to keep his MI2 and Maniac Mansion artworks (the latter one being the Edison family portrait from the back cover), but the MI1 one seems nowhere to be found, while Bill Eaken secured some of his art as well (he told me his original painting for "The Dig" was stolen when it was still at LucasArts).
I really like what you've started with your LucasArts posters project. But I have mixed feelings about it. Can I ask you what was behind the decision to remove the creators' names from the box art? We had to fight management for months each time a game came out to make sure we were properly credited. Now it's sad to see they've been removed once again.

It's interesting to see that you're actually serious about your mixed feelings, since I thought your comments about me removing the names were just a bit tongue in cheek fun... so I guess I should clear up my intentions behind this project.

And first of all, since my reasons might come off wrong, I've got to say that I love you guys. I grew up with the games of LucasArts (one of my very first gaming memories was playing Maniac Mansion on my uncle's C-64 - and being scared crazy), and the Monkey Island games, DOTT, FT, Grim Fandango and the others were a huge part of my teenage years (even here in Germany, so I loved your comment on the Kickstarter video). To me you guys, Tim, Ron, Dave and all the other guys, Hal Barwood, Noah Falstein, Jonathan Ackley, Larry Ahern, Sean Clark, Mike Stemmle (and everyone I'm forgetting to mention now) are like superstars. So much, that I re-play your games on a regular basis (and recommend them to everybody interested in playing great games). So I hope this shows that I'm in no way trying to play down or diminish your contributions to gaming history.

Now, the poster project on the other hand isn't about you guys (or only indirectly). It's about the artists who created those fantastic cover artworks that graced your games. It's about people like Steve Purcell, Peter Chan, Bill Eaken, Bill Tiller, Larry Ahern, Ken Macklin and everybody else who gave your games and their packaging their timeless visuals. As you can see I sometimes even tried to remove the game logos as well, so that as much of the art as possible can be seen and put on your wall to enjoy.

So, now that you've mentioned your mixed feelings, I guess I should be glad that this didn't work out:

In 2009 you attended the GamesCom in Cologne (were I actually live) promoting "Brütal Legend", and when I heard you were going to be there, I planned on trying to get you to sign one of my posters. So I went up to EA's booth, nervous as hell, and asking where I could possibly find Tim Schafer. The guy just looked at me and asked "Tim Schäfer? Who's that?" (pronouncing your name in German) and after a probably very stupid and confused look by me, I just looked over the guys shoulder at the HUGE "Brütal Legend" wall art on the booth, saying "a Tim Schafer game" on it, with the guy following my look. "Oh... *silence*... he's probably in the press area." That was kind of a funny moment, although it stopped being funny when I realized there was no way for me to get access to the press area, so that's where my plan ended. Now, of course those posters didn't have your name on it, so you probably would've stabbed me with the pen instead of signing it... ;)

And to be fair, I've actually ADDED your names to this one:

dottsw.jpg

I was always wondering, if the DOTT Star Wars artwork in your office is actually from my project...

Grim box front:

Peter Tsacle (now at telltale) was the lead artist on Grim and he might have rendered those characters. I think he was the one to also composite them together and paint in the smoke, etc. It's possible that he handed a layered photoshop file over to marketing and they might have moved them around, or someone at Soo Hoo design might have, I'm not sure. But Peter T. designed all the characters on the box so if you had to credit one artist with that one it would be him.

Full Throttle box:

I think Richard Green might have done the render of Ben's Bike for the box, but Peter Tsacle repainted most of Ben, especially his face and hair. On the back cover, in the photo shoot of the Gone Jackels (shot on the Skywalker Symphony sound stage for some reason) there is a leather "Full Throttle" jacket on the bike, and I still have that jacket hanging right outside my office today. If only I fit into it!

Names:

I think it's great to showcase and isolate the work of those talented cover artists, and a version with just the art by itself makes some sense. But the version that includes the logo for the game but omit's the creator's name is wrong, in my opinion, and sad to see after all the trouble we went through.

Dott Star Wars:

That is a color xerox that Peter Chan made for me from his marker original of that Adventurer cover. That's another work that is either in the Lucas "vault" (i.e. damp closet in the basement) or lost. But marker drawings often don't hold up over time so who knows if it would have lasted anyway.

Thanks for all the info on the artists!

But this really got me:

But the version that includes the logo for the game but omit's the creator's name is wrong, in my opinion, and sad to see after all the trouble we went through.

The last thing I want is to make my childhood heroes sad, so that's reason enough for me to add versions of the covers with your names intact. That'll probably take a bit, but I'll get there. I hope you're still okay with me offering the other versions as well, so that everyone can pick their favorite version to put up their walls. And I don't necessarily share the sentiment that the posters with the logo, but without your names (or any other text for that matter) diminish or ignore your efforts. They just provide a cleaner, less cluttered overall depiction of the games. I'm sure anybody putting these posters to their walls have their own, very special memories of these games... not of the covers, but of what these GAMES actually mean to them. And those are YOUR achievements. It's frickin' "Monkey Island", "Maniac Mansion", "Grim Fandango"... these aren't LucasArts' games... these are YOUR games (and we fans know that).

Still, I'm sorry, I didn't for a second think that my project might trouble anybody, but after all you guys had to go through to get credited, this is understandable. Alright, now I actually have to find out, which covers actually DID have your names on them originally ;)

As one of the persons hosting Laserschwert's posters, I'd like to add one more thing: The fans who find their way to the websites where the posters can be downloaded, let them print professionally, frame them and hang them on their walls against their girlfriends' wills (me included), they know the names of the game designers very well. For me, not having the names on the posters is not a way to avoid you, but a way to get a better look at the art associated to the games and their designers that are meant to be honored by hanging these artworks on the wall. I can see your point, but please don't misunderstand us having a poster without your name on it as a matter of disrespect.

Btw, just finished Stacking, great game!

They look great, and I'd love to hang 'em on my walls. But downloading and having them printed without paying the right guys seems like pirating to me.

They look great, and I'd love to hang 'em on my walls. But downloading and having them printed without paying the right guys seems like pirating to me.
I guess none of the artists would mind if you pay them. Just do that, and you don't have to feel bad ;)

A quick google doesn't turn anything up, just old imageshack links and the like. @Laserschwert was online here in July, perhaps they'll pop back in at some point and let us know of any working links.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:01 PM, MikeyMcP said:

Does anyone have a working link for this?  I'd love to check it out.

A quick google doesn't turn anything up, just old imageshack links and the like. @Laserschwert was online here in July, perhaps they'll pop back in at some point and let us know of any working links.

Adventure-Treff still hosts Laserschwert's posters, but they changed the link.  It's here now: http://www.adventure-treff.de/Features/14067-hochaufloesende-adventure-poster

I also updated the first post in this thread with working links. :)