Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DragonC

Double Fine and ideas?

I was just wondering if anyone at all from Double Fine takes some time...from time to time to read fan suggestions or anything I like. The reason I'm asking is I got this cool idea about some people building a wodden horse which they use to conquer different towns around the globe and ultimatly the universe.

No but seriously....as serious as you can possibly be. Do they have any connections to us "humans" at all?

Lol would that have a title like "the Trojan Horse's Woody Adventures", har har??

As for connections to use mere humans, i have also wondered that, and here be my sore amazing conclusions...

1) They do check it-but do not respond. Im sure theyre very busy, as with any god, but as gods, they depend upon our worship, and are delighted to listen to our pleas and wading through the mud of life-hence, they check the forums-evidence is a reply from a previously unknown name to the broken Scott comics link, a name which may well be of one of the GODS.

2) Info Cow and Action Shark, which you may not be acquainted with yet, I assume are part of the Double Fine gang, and have been given the divine task of keeping order within the forums, so they are the intermediaries/avatars to the gods-or perhaps just gods which have been given the crappy task ;)

3)They may have a strict non-intervention policy: Tim answers, and indeed is in charge (what a perilous thing :-P) of the news section, replying to comments there, but never here, which makes sense. Hence, again, we have Info Cow and Action Shark taking care of us.

Wow, have i got spare time on my hands!!

Some members chime in from time to time when someone is requiring assistance or is having trouble with the site. However, if you read the questions thread Tim mentions retaining your ideas. I do not believe DF will ever truly be stuck for ideas or creative flare. While fan ideas may sound great (especially if it is one of your own) it may not be entirely plausible to develop within a game. So, keep it to yourself should you one day wish to use it. There would also no doubt be legal issues were such a thing to happen, especially were you to take an idea straight out of the Iliad. ;P

Yeah it's a great idea for a title. Except that I don't think it would sell that well on a PC platform if you call it a Trojan Horse.

We could do this though. Come up with your own characters, ideas, events and see where it ends.

Anyhow here is what I got so far.

Title: I think it would fun to use something like Whensday,Whens-day or whatnot. A mix between Wednesday and something else.

Main Character: Jimmy Nash. Kinda like the name. An 8th grader (?) with a distinctive personality. Wears a baseball cap turned backwards. A B-horror movie T-shirt. One biker glove.

Plot:

To keep it short. You follow Nash around in school, meets his family, friends and foes in the beginning of the opening cinema. His main foe is a boy called Vincent Naim ( pun on Insert Name ). You end up seeing Nash and 2 of his friends being chased by Vincent and some friends on bike. A struggle occurs and the two falls down a cliff. The next scene black. You can hear a distant voice from a doctor saying that the boy will make it but is out of reach. The voices becomes more distant and the last thing you hear is your mother crying. (the doctors rolls Nash out from the hospital room to a different one. In that room lays another boy. ( Vincent ) the boys are both in coma and placed next to eachother.

In the rest of the game you follow Nash in his alternative dream world with a masked friend which he meets on his way back to reality. Of course you would need some kind of arch nemesis whose face you can't see. Some really evil fella. Hmm Baron Dement Würtenbaum. Now the most logical thing would be to make Vincent this guy, which one would think the whole time, but it's actually revealed in the end that your masked buddy which you now know well is him. Vincent doesn't carry over the dispise for Jimmy into the dream world ( both dreams are connected ) and he becomes a great friend without knowing who he really is. Ends with him stop picking on Jimmy in real life.

Anyhow...YEAH it goes on ...these are some examples on what could happen.

1: You see Jimmy in school, daydreaming. The teacher wakes him up with a question to which he replies -What? Along with everyone in class saying the same thing in the exact same way.

-That's strange, he thinks...*everyone else repeats* he turns around and discovers that everyone looks exactly like him. But no one else seem to notice or care.

2: Jimmy "wakes up" in his dream world only to discover that he is alone in the hospital and in fact the entire town. A wanders around and eventually comes to a thick fog which barely conseils an Amusement Park.

Yep that's it! Feel free to write Support Character: for example and add your own ideas. Or Dog: Bark Bark.

Lol Masquerade & Freedom, i couldnt of said it better even were i to enter your minds and copy the thought completely.

As with any company, im sure they listen to their fans, but you need a bit more than an amazing idea to get a job-namely, experience, dedication, qualifications, etc.

Heck, if all one needed were great ideas, i would of already been in there, dammit!!

Well they must have started somewhere though. I mean the guys behind it all. David Jaffe, Tim , Shiggy. Not all the guys can't be tech masters. Just look at Neo from the Matrix. He just walked in and kicked some ass. Was neo just lucky or did he have an education that I don't know of? If it's all about the grades I'm seriously toast.

However yeah, I've seen some companys actually having a dialogue with the audience which should eliminate any copyright problems and such. Take the expansions for WoW for example. They added lots of things suggested by players on their forums.

What I need to do now is cook som macaronies.

Lol Neo is a fictional superhero char, that only happens to people like me!! Best i dont tell you my superhero identity however...

No offense to Tim and all, but they come from an era when the stress upon academic achievement, if my understanding is correct, was much less, and people actually had a brain and understood that actual, workplace experience was just as good. Its not that you cant make it without grades, its just that it is very, very much more harder (triple adjective thingy intended) to get in, because nowadays companies want a degree, even if it is in post-atomic gardening.

And such a sharing of ideas as you mentioned was in a structured, planned scenario, and very typical of MMOs, were there is an evolving game which can be changed. Similar thing with patches, or sequels, but they are normally dependent on the company asking for it, or the fans giving it through specific means, and usually at a detrimental cost for themselves (hence, they will NOT retain/get credit for their ideas, and they know that).

So, sorry for being a meany pupu spoiler, but things like this take a damn great amount of work, so get to work!! "Whips dragon" and give me some macarone cheese!!! "whips dragon some more"

Just look at Neo from the Matrix.

It's everyone's secret dream that someone will some day come to you and say that you are somehow special, or indeed "the Chosen One", without you having to anything for it, isn't it?* The reality is almost always quite different, and certainly full of perspiration.

And it's not about the grades, but the amount of work you are willing put into realizing your dreams.

*Not pointing at you or this discussion specifically. The Neo reference just screamed for it.

Yeah, in the RL you're usually not allowed to "walk in and kicked some ass" unless you've got the credentials. And even then, it seems that you'll need to do a bit more than walking to get into the competitive field of game development.

Yeah, in the RL you're usually not allowed to "walk in and kicked some ass" unless you've got the credentials. And even then, it seems that you'll need to do a bit more than walking to get into the competitive field of game development.

Two points.

1. You can if you got a license for it.

2. What if you somehow connected a treadmill to a machine that hires workers, brings luck, produces food, does your homework, feeds you cat and such. It's a win/win situation.

Anyway so basically you need to work a lot. Sure I suspected that (-.-) Or at least get your name out there. And that's the tricky part. Hiring a plane with your name written on a flag just won't cut it anymore. It's a sad time we live in I tell you...a sad time.

Or one could just move to the big apple, get connections, become really famous, do a lot of creative things and die at the age of 9.

I mean stranger things have happend. Mel Gibson reading womens minds and such.

*rolls the dice and hopes for a 6 before I hit the age of 70*

there's actually an FAQ about this very FAQ. Tell me I'm not the only one who was a big enough dork to read through them all....

The answer was "No", "Because if you send it to us, our lawyers will jump on it like a hand grenade and not ever let us see it, for reasons only they understand."

Indeed. Apple has even gone as far as to make little girls cry in situations like this.

Can't blame them really..

Oh, yes I did. Joking. Hopefully. (Before I clicked that link, I thought you ment me for some unkown reason. And just to clear this up if anyone has ever wondered, yes I have a Mac and an iPod, but I love my PC much more and I think the Apple company sucks. My name has nothing to do with that. For the love of God, Steve Jobs is a demon.)

If we are still trying to be mildly serious (not that I have anything against silliness, but lost track if this is a serious topic still or not), Dragon try checking Gamecareerguide.com, it might be a very good start for you and seeing what direction you need to take. I personally recommend all the 3 articles entitled "The first step: getting a game industry job".

These days the best way to get your foot in the door in the industry is to actually make a game. The best way to do that is to either religiously study "C++ for dummies" and do it on your own, or study Game Development in College and meet a couple like minded guys and start working out your ideas.

With Xbox Live and the Playstation Network gobbling up games like crazy, if your game is any good, it stands a decent chance of being published.

I was just wondering if anyone at all from Double Fine takes some time...from time to time to read fan suggestions or anything I like. The reason I'm asking is I got this cool idea about some people building a wodden horse which they use to conquer different towns around the globe and ultimatly the universe.

No but seriously....as serious as you can possibly be. Do they have any connections to us "humans" at all?

Yes... a 2-headed-baby Trojan horse would rock. :D It'd be interesting if DF did somthing with ninjas. Or dogs. Ninja dogs? Ah, whatever. I'll leave that to Double Awesome-I mean-fine. yeah. Double Fine. *sits back in beach chair, eating popcorn*

Sign in to follow this