Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xmuskrat

Now that we are over $2 million, is the plan still for a 20 screen, 30 minute game?

Just watched the 35 min video posted in the new update. They mentioned they were shooting at a 2d, hand-drawn, 20 screen, 30 minute game. Is that still the plan after reaching $2 million, or has the size of the potential game increased?

Did you even read the update?

Many of you have been asking if this means we’ll be taking a bit more time with the production, and the answer is yes. This is not a cute, quick little game anymore. This is the real deal. This is a capital-G Game.

Did you even read the update?
Many of you have been asking if this means we’ll be taking a bit more time with the production, and the answer is yes. This is not a cute, quick little game anymore. This is the real deal. This is a capital-G Game.

Where did you find this quote? I've looked for an update, but all i've found is a small 3line thing on kickstarter.

Where did you find this quote? I've looked for an update, but all i've found is a small 3line thing on kickstarter.
If you're a backer you can click on the UPDATES-tab at the top to get more in-depth descriptions of the updates.

Yes I read the update.

However the video they just posted here goes into much detail of the game: how big it is, how long it takes to play, if it's 2d or 3d, etc.

Yes I read the update.

However the video they just posted here goes into much detail of the game: how big it is, how long it takes to play, if it's 2d or 3d, etc.

But obviously you haven't watched the video carefully enough: It was recorded on January 13th, WAY before the Kickstarter started (and no one expected the huge success). So: The said 20 screen game is off the table. It's gonna be bigger now! :)

I just got the update an hour a go, and half of that time was watching the video. Cut me some slack for not noticing the date on it. :P

Also if you watch the video you will see when they talking about engine there is a disclaimer that that will change you can count it on being also right for other parts of the video that was about the low budget game.

Does the fact that this project as a whole has grown so much larger than initially intended, worry anyone at all? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but there was something very comforting to me about the idea of a small, 2D Monkey Island like point and click adventure game. The fact that the budget has grown so large almost worries me that this may become an overly ambitious, 3D over the top, full blown game. That may sound strange, I just feel like since they raised so much money, perhaps they will feel like they really have to swing for the fences.

Not to say I dont trust the talent involved in the project, and I am sure regardless we will be getting quality. I was just so initially excited about a good old fashioned point and click game. Am I alone here? If I am, I'll shut up.

thanks

ty

Does the fact that this project as a whole has grown so much larger than initially intended, worry anyone at all? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but there was something very comforting to me about the idea of a small, 2D Monkey Island like point and click adventure game. The fact that the budget has grown so large almost worries me that this may become an overly ambitious, 3D over the top, full blown game. That may sound strange, I just feel like since they raised so much money, perhaps they will feel like they really have to swing for the fences.

Not to say I dont trust the talent involved in the project, and I am sure regardless we will be getting quality. I was just so initially excited about a good old fashioned point and click game. Am I alone here? If I am, I'll shut up.

thanks

ty

Actually the original budget was far lower then small monkey island point and click game.

We are still abit of from like Full Throttle game.

For the original budget things like voice acting and extended music you wouldnt have to expect so allot of budget is going to stuff like that and some extended production times because games like monkey island took like 9 months instead of 6 months what was original time line.

There's no way that an increasing budget is something bad.

We all still get our beloved Point and Click Adventure game, but the more money they have, the better this game will be.

They won't all of a sudden make an Ego Shooter or something. lol

Do you think with the extra money they might choose to make their own adventure game development platform now? They touched upon that in the video as well, but with this extra money perhaps they could consider that as an option again.

I don't think the "30 minute" part was serious in the first place. They didn't sound sincere, 30 minutes is a 5 room game maybe, not a 20 room game. 20 rooms was probably a serious suggestion, but from the video, Tim definitely seemed more willing to shoot for a larger game. And, after all, Tim is project lead here, so it's his call. I'd hope that they would be comfortable making something a little longer, now. I want a world I can lose my self in and sink into a bit.

Just watched the 35 min video posted in the new update. They mentioned they were shooting at a 2d, hand-drawn, 20 screen, 30 minute game. Is that still the plan after reaching $2 million, or has the size of the potential game increased?
The 30 minute thing was an obvious joke to begin with... You can actually get a lot done with 20 screens, too. Sam and Max had like 40 rooms minus the cut scenes. Full Throttle probably had less than that.

But no, obviously they're not still aiming that small.

Full Throttle had about 40, and that was considered a short game.

So originally, DFA was going to be half the length of Full Throttle room-wise.

Thankfully, the devs are much more experienced and the tools are much better than they were in 1995, so they could probably do Full Throttle at twice the length with the same budget.

Full Throttle had about 40, and that was considered a short game.

So originally, DFA was going to be half the length of Full Throttle room-wise.

Thankfully, the devs are much more experienced and the tools are much better than they were in 1995, so they could probably do Full Throttle at twice the length with the same budget.

Actually starting up might not be that easy in 1995 they had SCUMM and entire department just for making adventure games and already done several now they need to start at the beginning make engine and getting everything ready. Was mentioned in the 35 minute interview.

At this current rate of $26,000 a day, the project will reach $2.6 million at the end. That's not counting any future updates or the "panic mode" at the end.

At this current rate of $26,000 a day, the project will reach $2.6 million at the end. That's not counting any future updates or the "panic mode" at the end.

Yes, but it's also not counting that it's still slowing down quite rapidly from the post-update slump. For example, it's slower now than it was 24 hours ago so we can't expect the current rate to maintain. So I think it'll still need a little more help.

Yes, but it's also not counting that it's still slowing down quite rapidly from the post-update slump. For example, it's slower now than it was 24 hours ago so we can't expect the current rate to maintain. So I think it'll still need a little more help.

Very true - it's still a crap-shoot as to where it will all land. I suspect a bigger-than-the-days-before jump in the final 24 hours, and another after any additional awesomesauce updates with more goodies (goodies definitely drive pledges, as we saw with the last update). I'm very confident it'll hit over $2.5M, but am hesitant to guess $2.75M. Still, there's a little ways to go.

In the past 24 hours it made about 22.5k so the drop off is still pretty high. It now needs to average >16k for the next 13 days, so it's still looking good to do that, especially because it sounds like 2PP are busy polishing up another new update. The upsell to the $100 pledge has been pretty impressive, too. But I wonder what they can do now to persuade even more people to sign up or pledge higher.

So it's hit $2.3 mil. I think the goal should be $2.5 mil. Got 13 days to do that, so hopefully it makes it.

The way I see it is:

Doco - $250,000

Kickstarter expenses - $250,000 ($125,000 to Kickstarter for the 5% + Amazon fees + the expenses with all the physical rewards)

Which would leave $2 million for the game itself. Which is a real win!

I would imagine that the documentaries' budget has probably doubled or tripled, as they are going to be working on it for a much longer period of time, and will be upgrading many elements of it.

I would imagine that the documentaries' budget has probably doubled or tripled, as they are going to be working on it for a much longer period of time, and will be upgrading many elements of it.

It was originally $100,000... so $250,000 is a fair jump.

Sign in to follow this