Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lehm2000

Profits

Last I checked DF is a commercial company making a commercial product, not a charity.

What if DF took the part of the profits that would normally go to the investors, and gave that to charity instead.

Last I checked DF is a commercial company making a commercial product, not a charity.

What if DF took the part of the profits that would normally go to the investors, and gave that to charity instead.

You sir, are an ass.

Kickstarter backers are NOT investors.

Why should they get instant profits everything they sell after completion of the game will be profits. Now its just like it normally works for a developing company they get payed by investors. But they will get a far bigger portion of the profits compared to when made with a publisher.

They should get instant profits because they made instant sales there are no investors that's what makes this whole event unique and nothing like what normally happens when developing a game. When people the game comes out there's a chance that no one else will want this game then there would be no profits and this whole experiment could prove to be a failure and end up hurting double fine and that would be very disappointing.

Most importantly they should plan to make an instant profit and budget well under the $3.4m is to ensure that any minor cost over runs don't impact the quality of the game. What would they do if a small part of the game brakes the game and only appears during the beta and causes much more trouble than expected and leads to a couple more months of work? they can't go back to any investors or publishers and ask for more money and taking out a loan is far to expensive for this high risk venture they'd need to put out a broken game.

You sir, are an ass.

I agree with Thunderpeel. (Not a sentence I expected to ever say.)

I prefer to think of myself as a patron. I wanted to see this type of game again. I did not give as an investor and as far as I know Kickstarter doesn't mention sharing profits. I want Tim and his crew to buy a yacht with a pool on it with a smaller yacht in the pool. I hope it gives them enough money to make games the way they want to for a long time to come because I suspect it will give me a ton of enjoyment in the future.

I would think as backers we'd want as much as possible to go into the game, and to a lesser extent the doc and the rewards. Once you factor in the doc (which is now going to be at least twice as long as originally intended) and rewards, postage for rewards, paying someone to design a large art book and write the text for that, printing costs, fees to kickstarter and amazon, it's easy to imagine that almost a million of that 3.45 million might already have gone on non-game stuff. So let's say the budget of the game is actually something more like 2.5, 2.6. It could be even less, or slightly more, but I think that's a reasonable guess.

2.5 million dollars is not a huge budget to make an adventure game with. It's a respectable one, but I for one want to see every cent of that remaining budget going into making the game as great as possible. Sure, they could have made something on that 300k budget (or in fact more like 270k after fees, and perhaps 250k after rewards) but it certainly wouldn't be the vague idea of a game you had in your head. Now they have a real shot at making something special, so let's give them the best chance of doing that - which means all current money going into the project.

After all, more money means they can spend more time on the game, which means it's more likely to be great, which gives them a better shot at making more profits in the long-term.

The fees to Kickstarter and Amazon are approximately $340k (around 10%) and if they spend more than a a couple hundred to a thousand to print the art book for a couple hundred people I'd be surprised. They might need to spend between $100k to $500k on the dvd/blu-rays, t-shirts, and the box depending on quality. I'd be surprised if they break a million dollars before they get to the game development. I'd reason that they have about 2.7 roughly. Then take out about $200k for 2 player productions to do their stuff

I'd budget $2m to make the game and hope for everything to go to plan leaving room for both profits and any cost over runs they might face I took that all into account before I made my first post.

I would think as backers we'd want as much as possible to go into the game, and to a lesser extent the doc and the rewards. Once you factor in the doc (which is now going to be at least twice as long as originally intended) and rewards, postage for rewards, paying someone to design a large art book and write the text for that, printing costs, fees to kickstarter and amazon, it's easy to imagine that almost a million of that 3.45 million might already have gone on non-game stuff. So let's say the budget of the game is actually something more like 2.5, 2.6. It could be even less, or slightly more, but I think that's a reasonable guess.

2.5 million dollars is not a huge budget to make an adventure game with. It's a respectable one, but I for one want to see every cent of that remaining budget going into making the game as great as possible. Sure, they could have made something on that 300k budget (or in fact more like 270k after fees, and perhaps 250k after rewards) but it certainly wouldn't be the vague idea of a game you had in your head. Now they have a real shot at making something special, so let's give them the best chance of doing that - which means all current money going into the project.

After all, more money means they can spend more time on the game, which means it's more likely to be great, which gives them a better shot at making more profits in the long-term.

The fees to Kickstarter and Amazon are approximately $340k (around 10%) and if they spend more than a a couple hundred to a thousand to print the art book for a couple hundred people I'd be surprised. They might need to spend between $100k to $500k on the dvd/blu-rays, t-shirts, and the box depending on quality. I'd be surprised if they break a million dollars before they get to the game development. I'd reason that they have about 2.7 roughly. Then take out about $200k for 2 player productions to do their stuff

I'd budget $2m to make the game and hope for everything to go to plan leaving room for both profits and any cost over runs they might face I took that all into account before I made my first post.

If you're looking in from the outside, always better to over-estimate costs, because there's bound to be stuff you missed or thought would be cheaper than it is. There's a lot of small stuff that adds up. Besides, our figures aren't much different.

Let's say your guess is right and they're left with 2.5 million just for the game. That, as I said before, is still not even approaching too much to make a great adventure game. Use ALL of that money to make the best game possible, and they will enjoy better profits later. There's still a large audience out there that didn't back, and the reason we backed was to get this game made. Furthermore, they promised to use all the money towards making the project better, so that's what they need to do.

This topic does annoy me a bit. We are already being rewarded with the backer gifts. I bought a product, and that is all I should be entitled to.

Anyway, what I hope DF does with the profit is invests it in to more games and becomes self-sufficient. Cut those purse strings from publishers and make the games they want.

The only thing I might recommend doing with about 5% of the profit is it invest some of the money back in to kick starter like Brian Fargo suggests with his kicking it forward campaign.

http://www.kickingitforward.org/

But I don't think DF really needs to do that, 'cause I'd rather see them become self-sufficient first.

You sir, are an ass.

Agreed on your second point. Have to respectfully disagree on your first point. But then again I might be personally biased against your point of view on that. So I will have to officially abstain from that point and leave it up to the judgement of others.

Sign in to follow this