• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Cyrus

Random things you'd like to see in the game

Any random things you'd like to see in DFA? I mean, a certain character, an inventory item, a location, etc.? I'm not creating this thread to anyhow influence Double Fine (I believe they should be absolutely free in such decisions), I'm just curious to know.

Definitely the three-headed monkey. :D Anything wonderfully, gloriously absurd, really. See my post here for a couple of things that are relevant; I wish I could remember exactly where Tim said the caviar thing!

I'd also really like to see some references to Kickstarter (kicking something to start it?) and the final numbers for backers and pledges, as a nod to all the supporters. Maybe even some subtle hat-tip to 2 Player Productions filming everything.

But mostly, just the wonderfully absurd. Like self-serve caviar dispensers in infinite hotels. ;)

Likeness and\or voice cameos from members of the development team (particularly Tim and Ron).

Oh and maybe some rumination on the nature of reality.

a hidden Max head.

Kdgcy.jpg

THIS

And Ossibuchi, lots of ossibuchi from a crazy Grumpy Cook!

A max head would be a nice nod for sure, but perhaps DF could start an easter-egg tradition or two of their own. It would be fun for 2hb to make an appearance (inhabiting the world rather than just a visual reference) as well.

I want the 2hb logo to be rolling around in a pile of money or possib;y diving in a pile of money ala Scrooge McDuck.

Tricky. All the stuff I love most in those old games is stuff that leaves me almost angry that I didn't think of that joke/that character/that little musical turn, so I feel like any ideas I have about what should I'd like to see in it are inevitably going to be less cool than the stuff I haven't thought of.

Tim mused about a hypothetical Double Fine game starring an Ostrich in an interview once, I've never let go of the hope that I would one day see that game. DFA doesn't have to star the Ostrich, but I would love to see a wacky show stealing NPC ostrich find its way into the mix.

Tim mused about a hypothetical Double Fine game starring an Ostrich in an interview once, I've never let go of the hope that I would one day see that game. DFA doesn't have to star the Ostrich, but I would love to see a wacky show stealing NPC ostrich find its way into the mix.
I think that was actually the original plan for Psychonauts.

Anyway, I also want a cameo appearance by Ford Cruller. Maybe he could be a janitor or a cook.

Not a big fan of the whole self-referential / cameo thing... It's really up to the artist what references make sense -- I don't think people actually want the fourth wall smashed to pieces with a laundry list of references. But I don't think sequels for most of Schafer's games really make sense either.. except from a financial, engine-reuse, perspective, possibly.. Probably in the minority there.

As mentioned in the Ron/Tim interview, I'd like to see purposeful, maybe shorter, dialogues. The worst thing about most modern adventures is the "listen to me tell a joke" dialogues that go on forever, and somehow manage to not be funny, or add anything [a lot of the time]. I guess this is just advocating for Ron's grumpiness... ha.

The older games were riddled with references to things. It doesn't smash the fourth wall to pieces because they only appear as one off, minor, tips of the hat. See http://www.worldofmi.com/features/trivia/injokes.php?game=MI2&s=1

I'd like to see an original text adventure game within the game that you have to complete in order to solve a puzzle.

I'd like to see some references to urban legends, such as Polybius video game or sewer alligators.

Inventory items:

A bottle of marijuana-flavored soda

Some small weird figurines (a-la Crazy Bones)

Blue polka-dotted or zigzag-striped herring (not all the herrings have to be red ;))

Explosive birthday cake

Some sort of mystical lottery ticket

A mysterious mcguffin that is sought after but never revealed what it is (could be pictured as a box with something or as a question mark in the inventory)

I'd like to see an original text adventure game within the game that you have to complete in order to solve a puzzle.

Telltale's Sam and Max Season 1 already did that. It was pretty great, too.

I don't think references and cameos and whatnot have to spoil the immersion at all, if the game has depth to it. Seeing George Lucas in FT or SoMI for instance never made the worlds any less credible in my mind. If you didn't know who the reference was to, nothing would seem out of place and it would just be another character in the world. The same sort of thing can be true of visual jokes and other kinds of references. Of course I don't want the game to abandon the authenticity of its world and concept in order to be a big mash of references and homages with no identity of its own, but I don't see much risk of that happening at all when considering the past games, and I love things with a variety of layers of things to notice.

That's exactly what I was picturing. I'm just imagining you talking to a janitor who looks, sounds, ans acts exactly like Ford Cruller. I want it to be subtle so that the fans get it without the game rubbing it in your face.

That's exactly what I was picturing. I'm just imagining you talking to a janitor who looks, sounds, ans acts exactly like Ford Cruller. I want it to be subtle so that the fans get it without the game rubbing it in your face.

Kind of like this.

25.curios7.jpg

I know this is kinda random, but get some cool voice actors like Nolan North or the announcer from Halo.

I know this is kinda random, but get some cool voice actors like Nolan North or the announcer from Halo.
The point and click genre could definitely use more Kill Frenzies.

Well, saying different things obviously, but his voice is unreal.

I was just joking, but I do think if they get him they should make a reference to it.

I was just joking, but I do think if they get him they should make a reference to it.

But Nolan North is essential.

Watch this: