Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BaddestEver

* Official Challenge Checklist *

Let's face it, everyone wants "more Iron Brigade". Creating new challenges for the current campaign and survival maps seems to be a good temporary solution, as each idea adds a new variation of gameplay and strategy. Here's a compiled checklist of challenges mentioned around the forum. Everything listed on the checklist has been confirmed to be possible. Anything listed in the "Tentative" section is either in progress or an idea waiting to happen.

I've taken the liberty to rank the level of difficulty on some of them. 1 being the easiest, 5 being the hardest. I tried to be as objective as I could...thinking back to the first few times I tried some of the challenges before completing them. Any feedback on the ranking is welcome, as there are a couple challenges I haven't attempted/completed.

Campaign Challenges

1 - Complete solo with gold

3 - Complete with 100% base health

5 - Complete solo with 100% base health

? - No Trench Weapons

? - No Trench Weapons 4-man team

Hospital Challenges

3 - Classic (using only pre-DLC weapons/emplacements)

2 - Solo

1 - Rippers only

2 - No Engineer Chassis

3 - Using no Sniper Emplacements

5 - Using no Orange Emplacements

Swamp Challenges

3 - Survive 100 Waves

4 - Solo

5+ - 100% Base Health

Settlement Challenges

4 - Survive 100 Waves

4 - Solo

5 - 4-man team

5++ - Settlement Survival - 100% Base Health

Tentative/In Progress

- Campaign using only Support Emplacements/No Emplacements

- Any Survival - Using Level 1 Chassis only

- Any Survival - Using no Trench Weapons

- Hospital Survival - 100% Base Health

- Swamp Survival - No Engineer Chassis

- Swamp Survival - No Sniper Emplacements (honestly don't think this is possible)

- Swamp Survival - No DLC Emplacements

Let's hear some more ideas!

Lol nice list....good luck on hospital w/ no weapons. Hope the mine layers take care of the Jacobs in time for the Willie parade to go down.

Yeah? Well I've done them all without an Xbox.

How about settlement 100% solo? I believe it's not out of reach with distractions.

Lol nice list....good luck on hospital w/ no weapons. Hope the mine layers take care of the Jacobs in time for the Willie parade to go down.

Haha. I think it's definitely possible to create a self-sustainable base defense on hospital. This is the one challenge where team coordination on turret placement is absolutely essential. The willies/berthas/volt droppers won't be a threat at all. Even the burst transmitters shouldn't be too hard to deal with. The biggest threat I see is the massive groups of resistors or tommy's with jacobs that come out the short side. Those can wreck havoc if the one or two jacobs aren't eliminated. Oh yeah, and the blitzers that come out with jacobs. If a group of jacobs ends up surrounding the hospital, it could be bad.

Yeah? Well I've done them all without an Xbox.

How about settlement 100% solo? I believe it's not out of reach with distractions.

Craaaazy. Maybe? With two people? I think swamp would be the easiest to 100%, followed closely by hospital. I'll add it to the list, though :) I tried hospital solo the other day to finish with as much base health as possible...the first time the base took damage was from a snipe tuner... literally THE SECOND it spawned even though I was standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the hospital. Pretttty annoying.

I think its doable solo and probably duo'd 100%. The only thing is the VD attacks orange base before the big bombs but he'll attack a trench instead if you're standing in front of orange. So basically you have to start every wave standing there if he comes.

Then you have the challenge with 100% no distractions.

By the way, you say swamp would be easier 100% but I think settlement is. So there's that feedback you were looking for from the original post :P

I think its doable solo and probably duo'd 100%. The only thing is the VD attacks orange base before the big bombs but he'll attack a trench instead if you're standing in front of orange. So basically you have to start every wave standing there if he comes.

Then you have the challenge with 100% no distractions.

By the way, you say swamp would be easier 100% but I think settlement is. So there's that feedback you were looking for from the original post :P

The volt dropper shoots at nearby turrets if they're close enough to the base also (at least that's what I've observed). There are a couple obstacles on Settlement that need solutions for going 100%. One is the second few Arty's that go for orange. If they aren't anticipated and rushed, they're going to get a shot off. The other is some of the late game aerial waves that go for orange. I feel like no matter how many sniper turrets are in the water at orange (or even around orange), there's one or two waves of aerials that actually get a couple hits off before going down.

The only reason I think swamp would be easier is because I've actually finished up swamp solo with around 97-98% health. I made it to wave 70+ (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5869/) with only a few knob hits early on. Then a willy ended up getting two hits on the green base somewhere in the mid 70's because there were three willies from three lanes, and I only had the chance to block two of them. The only reason I can see this being really hard is trying to avoid stray tommy fire.

Aye, but I've done the same on settlement with probably 90% total left but I just get by on a swamp solo run. To each his own right?

True true. I definitely feel solid on swamp. I tend to do better on swamp than I do on hospital, even. I've only solo'd settlement once, though (around 75% overall health), and I haven't tried again since then.

Let's tag team one of 'em again. I feel like I've picked up quite a few new tricks since our last go at settlement.

Kill 5 enemies with a Blitzer explosion.

Do other blitzers count? Because collectively, I've done this a lot. Shoot pierce and hit big group stuck in dampener. Shoot again only clipping one but all blow up.

:D x3

Otherwise nah x3

No snipers on swamp sounds fun. I would be up for trying that.

Do you include lasers in that category. I know when we did hospital that way we decided lasers were not sniper cannons. The lasers really are very weak turrets for an orange emplacement.

I honestly don't think it's possible, but I mentioned my thoughts on the best possible load out in the other thread.

I think a run that may actually be possible (but still hard as crap) would be Swamp using only pre-DLC emplacements. Maybe a good compromise? You still get the sniper turrets...but they're not nearly as effective.

Well, I just got done beating all of the Earth missions with no trench weapons. I didn't do the boss fights yet, and I also got gold on every mission except Volcano. I tried 4-5 different setups but I just don't see a way to gold Volcano without using trench weapons. Silver is possible, but I haven't found a good way to deal with Jacobs on that map. As for the boss fights, I'm pretty sure they're all possible to beat using no trench weapons, but ARE impossible to gold. I tried a few different emplacements on Python but the fastest I got was ~84 seconds (Gold is 40 seconds) usinggggg Knockback Shotguns maybe? Tried SSMG's, Mortars, and the shotguns. I dunno if I'll keep trying for Volcano gold...might just move on to trying to gold/beat the Mars missions using no weapons.

Well, I just got done beating all of the Earth missions with no trench weapons. I didn't do the boss fights yet, and I also got gold on every mission except Volcano. I tried 4-5 different setups but I just don't see a way to gold Volcano without using trench weapons. Silver is possible, but I haven't found a good way to deal with Jacobs on that map. As for the boss fights, I'm pretty sure they're all possible to beat using no trench weapons, but ARE impossible to gold. I tried a few different emplacements on Python but the fastest I got was ~84 seconds (Gold is 40 seconds) usinggggg Knockback Shotguns maybe? Tried SSMG's, Mortars, and the shotguns. I dunno if I'll keep trying for Volcano gold...might just move on to trying to gold/beat the Mars missions using no weapons.

Go big or go home, right? I honestly didn't think about going solo with no weapons and still trying to get gold. Good job.

You think it'd be possible to to gold volcano with a group? I know the more people you have the more initial total scrap there is (I think it's 100 for solo, and 50 each beyond that?). So four a three person game there'd be 150, and a four man 200.

Beat Campaign and / or survival without any light or heavy emplacements.

:P

I can tell you right now that making a survival run without any light/heavy emplacements isn't even in the realm of possibility. It's gruesome enough as it is doing it without heavy emplacements. Though, it'd be interesting to see who can get the absolute farthest.

I do like the idea of doing the campaign with only support emplacements (or no emplacements at all?). I'll add it to the list.

I can tell you right now that making a survival run without any light/heavy emplacements isn't even in the realm of possibility. It's gruesome enough as it is doing it without heavy emplacements. Though, it'd be interesting to see who can get the absolute farthest.

I do like the idea of doing the campaign with only support emplacements (or no emplacements at all?). I'll add it to the list.

Campaign with only blue emplacements would be interesting. I might give this one a run.

I always thought a barrels and flak only hospital run would be pretty funny, but I honestly think even with the update we would freeze the xbox by around round 30 or so.

I often find it amusing to try and use just oddball weapons, those emplacements and guns everyone dogs because they "suck."

Things like the carpet bomber, knock back shotguns. Barrels and lasers etc. I don't think there is anyway to really code that into a specific challenge as such.

Maybe just removing the best two emplacement and guns from each class as a selection.

Orange: No sniper cannon or regular mines (barrels and lasers are ok)

Green: No flak, no shredders

Blue : Remove the Dampeners and Crane

Machine Guns: No perferators or Indirect Machine Gun

Shotguns: No Fiesta 6 or Hole Puncher

Grenades: No massive magnet launcher or super shocker

Snipers: No Albert and No Hyper Sniper

Artillery: No Ursula or Mr. Pancakes

Broadcaster: Just leave them alone because this class of weapons just bites for the most part.

The only real problem with this is that the rules are overly complex and anytime barrels become a major damage dealing source you are going to be tempted to crash the xbox with them.

Meh, this really is needlessly complicated.

You think it'd be possible to to gold volcano with a group? I know the more people you have the more initial total scrap there is (I think it's 100 for solo, and 50 each beyond that?). So four a three person game there'd be 150, and a four man 200.

Its way easier to gold with one player, you have enough scrap to place an orange right off the start. A single player is able to get more quality emplacements down quicker as they are not sharing scrap. The true test is to complete the campaign with 4 players running no weapons as you only have enough scrap to place a green at the start.

No disrespect to anyone who completes the campaign by yourself, great job:)

BaddestEver, suggestion, edit your original post to read "Complete 4 player Campaign with no weapons equipped on Trench, Emplacements only." Try to Gold every map accept Boss fights. Thank you sir:)

Here is a pretty fun simple and doable one.

No engineers on your team for all of the survival runs. I think hospital has already been done this way with even greater restrictions but swamp would be fun like this. Settlement... hmmmm that would be tough as nails with no engineers. Not sure if it can be done to be honest.

Maybe a three man team with two Hammers and a Woodruff for Settlement? Two Hammers would be ok except for the knobs, but once you got enough snipers down in the right spots you could take care of those as well. I think basically it would only be green and the middle blue path that you can't make a simple knob trap for. The lack of shredders would seriously hurt scrap production which will already be a problem without the engineers.

For swamp a simple team of one Hammer and one Woodruff would probably work pretty well. You might even be able to do it with a single Hammer.

Hmmm, anyone want to try a no engineer survival run with me?

Its way easier to gold with one player, you have enough scrap to place an orange right off the start. A single player is able to get more quality emplacements down quicker as they are not sharing scrap. The true test is to complete the campaign with 4 players running no weapons as you only have enough scrap to place a green at the start.

So you've solo'd volcano without weapons AND got gold? Just want to clarify that it's been done :) I haven't actually tried the no-weapons campaign challenge, so I have no idea what's possible/optimal.

Here is a pretty fun simple and doable one.

No engineers on your team for all of the survival runs. I think hospital has already been done this way with even greater restrictions but swamp would be fun like this. Settlement... hmmmm that would be tough as nails with no engineers. Not sure if it can be done to be honest.

Hmmm, anyone want to try a no engineer survival run with me?

I'm game! Might need a Karlsson armed in rippers to get enough scrap to make up for the cost difference in emplacements, LOL.

You know my first thought was "I'll never make it past the first level!" Then I thought "Maybe they don't really mean only blue emplacements and you can take weapons. that would make it easier."

...I'm game! Might need a Karlsson armed in rippers to get enough scrap to make up for the cost difference in emplacements, LOL.

If someone runs the assault chassis, it's probably best if they run 2x rippers and 1 fiesta on each side. This has the effect of generating lots of extra scrap while still maintaining a decent damage level. You also benefit from the knockback on the fiestas if you need to push an enemy back. Then if you don't need the power of the fiestas, just grip and rip until the enemies are dead. This is the loadout I have been using with a friend of mine when we were messing around. It is surprisingly effective while still generating a decent amount of extra scrap. If anyone runs a Hamer (not Hammer,) then you can change it up somewhat. I have run the above combo along with 2x fiestas and a single ripper as an alternate loadout. The thing about running with the pre-DLC emplacements is that you will need some firepower on your trench to make up for the lack of it from your emplacements.

Have you actually gotten gold on Volcano solo while using no trench weapons? I tried for about an hour but couldn't see any way to do it. Jacobs come from both left/right spawns on Wave 3, and iirc you get JUST enough scrap to put down 2 snipers before then but I couldn't find a single good spot for those snipers to get rid of those Jacobs. The only way I was even able to beat the mission was using Smash++ legs (Tried Stun Smash legs too but they do half the damage and it's useless since Jacobs come from both directions). If you have done it, I'd like to hear how =D

Have you actually gotten gold on Volcano solo while using no trench weapons? I tried for about an hour but couldn't see any way to do it. Jacobs come from both left/right spawns on Wave 3, and iirc you get JUST enough scrap to put down 2 snipers before then but I couldn't find a single good spot for those snipers to get rid of those Jacobs. The only way I was even able to beat the mission was using Smash++ legs (Tried Stun Smash legs too but they do half the damage and it's useless since Jacobs come from both directions). If you have done it, I'd like to hear how =D

Guys, I never said I got gold on Volcano,lol. I said the attempt at gold is easier with one player vs 4 players. When I originally posted this challenge it had nothing to do with golding missions as its impossible to gold Boss fights. The challenge was to complete the whole campaign, old and DLC, with no weapons on your Trenches and 4 players.

Sign in to follow this