Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

I want a long game!

To me length isn't as important as replayability. One of my recent favorite games, The Binding of Isaac, is not particularly long, but because of it's varrying items, boss battles and difficulty, along with random dungeons, and rewards for playing the game multiple times over, makes it an excellent model for replayability in a game. Also, the idea of endlessness brought about the idea of modibility. If users are able to generate content, that is also a great means of making a game replayable (to which I would cite the original Half-Life.)

Though, I know that adventure games aren't exactly known for their replayability (though it would be excellent if this were a first) so I think the main thing that needs to be focused on is that it is engaging, which I do not think is ever a problem for Double Fine's team. It must be engaging and hopefully as long as possible.

Yup. And having a budget of $2,500,000-ish means that they can now afford to be approximately 10 times more ambitious than their original target of 250,000 for the game (which is about what it would have been after fees and rewards had been deducted). Not all of that will translate into length (a lot of that will go towards translations, voice work and other production-values type stuff which doesn't affect length but makes the game better). But some of it will. They'll have longer to work on it, with a larger team, which means that they will have the time to realise a larger world with more stuff in it. It's gonna be awesome!

Don't forget that they are also launching the game on 4 more platforms than they initially intended, which takes up a substantial piece of the budget as well.

Don't forget that they are also launching the game on 4 more platforms than they initially intended, which takes up a substantial piece of the budget as well.

Unless they license multiplatform engine almost ready made, which will cut the pain considerably. And remember that PS3 and XBOX360 are out of picture (those guys have terribly expensive quality checks, not sure about Steam though)

Unless they license multiplatform engine almost ready made, which will cut the pain considerably. And remember that PS3 and XBOX360 are out of picture (those guys have terribly expensive quality checks, not sure about Steam though)

Think steam is just launch platform except maybe a few small things for connection with steam it just costs a certain % of the sales of the games.

Tim Schafer already posted in this thread, but it was lost in the server move. He came in and promised that it would be "exactly the right size". I just don't want the experience to be over too quickly, but at the same time I don't want any unfair puzzles. I'm hard to please :)
He reposted. Check the first page.

How did I miss that???

I just want a game that takes several sessions to complete, and makes me feel like I've been on a big adventure. Ron makes the point about movies in his chat with Tim... but what about TV series? LOST told a huge, epic story that lasted something like 120 hours. I'm not saying I want 120 hours, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with 40.

I think 8 would be far too short.

Of course, I wouldn't want the game to be loaded with filler to make it longer, but there's something about the amount of time you spend in a world that makes it more real. That makes the ending pay off more. That makes you more engaged. That makes you care about the characters more. Hell, I cared about the characters in Final Fantasy VII -- probably only because I spent so long with them.

A story that makes you feel like you've taken the Ring to Mordor and then made your way back to Hobbiton is pretty amazing. Monkey Island 1 did that for me.

Of course it doesn't have be fantasy/sci-fi or anything like that. It doesn't have to be "epic". But I do want to feel like I've lived in that world for long enough for it to feel real.

Somebody wrote a post recently about these games being the opportunity to walk around in Tim's brain. I just don't want that experience to be over too quickly, especially since it's so rare.

That's my vote, anyway ;)

I don't have that much time for playing video games unfortunatly, and that means that I would never see the end of a 40+ hours game.

I think that an adventure game is like a good movie. The story should be dense and consice. For me 10 to 15 hours would be great, but I wouldn't mind if it was less than that.

In my opinion, RPGs are much more suited to 50h+ long games.

Adventure games these days are way too short :(

For example, even though Yesterday from Pendulo Studios is great story and has nice puzzles, I feel like $30 for game with 5-6 hours of game play (partly due to in-game hint system that i just there waiting to be unstuck you constantly) is bit short.

Telltale games has about 2-3 hours of game play per episode and whole 6 episode season usually costs same $30, which is about right.

I really loved length of Monkey Island II, it was just perfect, being stuck and going through everything there was in game but having 2-3 tracks going on all the time really kept you going, bashing at everything for hours.

Agreed with OP:

For me: Grim Fandango was perfect in terms of length and content. I will go out of my mind if DF Adventure is going to be that good!

But I will still very gratefully accept it, if it turns out to be a bit shorter ;-)

Quality over quantity, IMO. Full Throttle was short, granted, but what most made me annoyed with its brevity was that, frankly, it was just too damn good.

In the choice of another Full Throttle or something that has 10,000 inventory puzzles just to add length, I know what I want.

That said, if it's possible to make it a tad longer without sacrificing awesomeness, that would be even better.

I think it's only reasonable that the adventure game be a text parser like the old Sierra games, with all the graphical input provided via a camera duct taped to Tim's head, that way we can constantly feed him commands, and he would be contractually obligated to follow them, ">eat a booger tim schafer," or ">tip 15%." It's the only way to appease everyone.

Of course quality over quantity.

But I want a long, good game (like grim fandango).

We raised a lot more so I think we do not deserve one of those tell tale short things.

Plus a short adventure game (if it is really short) it does limit the kind of experience it may offer. It tends to be more linear, one puzzle at a time, etc.

I want to travel to some place different (understand this in the broadest way possible) and have a good adventure, meet interesting characters (don't agree with ron gilbert that adventure games are not about adventures: MI was an adventure -maybe even de very definition of one, so was MM, ZM, GF, the TDig, etc.)

Maybe it's just me.. But I find the cinematic game experience to be the most satisfying. While others find the cut-scenes to remove them from the game, I find the game to remove me from the story - but perhaps that's just because in most of those games all you do is fight, all the time!

Maybe if it was more of an adventure to play? Now there's an idea...!

I don't like the whole "the longer the game the better" mentality. Reminds me of the whole Quantity vs Quality issue. An experience can be just as good if the game is designed to work well with a shorter play length, being a more concentrated experience, rather than stretching it out and ruining the pacing of the game for the sole purpose or making it last longer. Often games drag on because the developers try to create more incentive to buy the game by making it longer. Don't get me wrong, I love some really long RPGs and have put hundreds of hours into various games, but I doubt this would be good for a point and click adventure.

Agreed! Longer game! My heart sunk when they did the extended interview between Tim & Ron, and Ron said he wanted 20 minutes of a focused fun game. I know he was only joking, but... Seriously, a long game would be awesome. Something I could come home to after work and play - accomplish a part of a puzzle - go to sleep - come home, rinse and repeat.

If it's as half as long as The Longest Journey we will be doing well.

Seriously, that game's length was just freaking ridonkulous. (for an adventure game, I mean...I'm aware of the average RPG length)

As someone who is playing Journey by ThatGameCompany right now, there is something to be said for the minimalist approach to a video game. The short 2 hours of gameplay i got out of it made it feel like an interactive adventure movie. Granted I don't think Double Fine would be suited for the minimalist approach to the game, but I think the optimum time for me is the length of Psychonauts. For me this was about 20 hours including all the collecting. 20 hours in my eyes is the perfect length because it gives enough time to be enveloped in the adventure while still preventing it from becoming stale and a chore to keep playing.

Also as a response to Tim, almost every game is endless; just leave it running forever and it will never end =D

I want a good game!

Voice acting, EFIGS text translations and lush 2D artwork are all on the cards. The budget, while surprising, is not huge. If the story they come up with lends itself to a long game I will happily play a long game. I don't want their limited resources and ideas to be stretched by an artificial longevity goal. I feel a few truly excellent hours of gameplay experience are worth more than 50 mediocre ones. I'll point to some recent, non-adventure examples. The Portal games provided experiences I'll cherish. I really regret most of the hours (59) I put into Skyrim, which was ultimately manipulative and didn't bring much to the table, in terms of mechanics or embedded narrative.

I won't feel stung if it's only 2-4 hours (it'll probably be massively longer) because of all these bonuses. The documentary will probably be a good length, I get a T-shirt and things, and then there's the opportunity to hang out here during the development.

I just want a game that takes several sessions to complete, and makes me feel like I've been on a big adventure. Ron makes the point about movies in his chat with Tim... but what about TV series? LOST told a huge, epic story that lasted something like 120 hours. I'm not saying I want 120 hours, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with 40.

I think 8 would be far too short.

Of course, I wouldn't want the game to be loaded with filler to make it longer, but there's something about the amount of time you spend in a world that makes it more real. That makes the ending pay off more. That makes you more engaged. That makes you care about the characters more. Hell, I cared about the characters in Final Fantasy VII -- probably only because I spent so long with them.

A story that makes you feel like you've taken the Ring to Mordor and then made your way back to Hobbiton is pretty amazing. Monkey Island 1 did that for me.

Of course it doesn't have be fantasy/sci-fi or anything like that. It doesn't have to be "epic". But I do want to feel like I've lived in that world for long enough for it to feel real.

Somebody wrote a post recently about these games being the opportunity to walk around in Tim's brain. I just don't want that experience to be over too quickly, especially since it's so rare.

That's my vote, anyway ;)

^ What he/she said!

I would like a short game. In fact, I'm interested in playing very short games but games with proper stories. I'm interested in playing a 20 minute game which tells a good story. I think that's too short for this particular game, but I like short games.

I also like long games, but being able to have a satisfying experience without investing too much time in it appeals to me.

I know it's bad form to compare games and movies, but a movie delivers a fulfilling story in about 2 hours. I really enjoy the episodic games Telltale has been doing (which are still long when put together, but each episode has a satisfying story arch).

Having said that, I do think an equivalent story in a game is generally be longer because the player has things to do. They'd cut out the boring bit in a movie where the hero's trying to figure out how to solve a problem, but that's part of the fun part of an adventure game.

Also, I wouldn't be upset at all if the game is long. I like the long ones too.

I agree about a long game, but I'd surely sacrifice some length for Humongous-type multiple paths.

I was under the impression that by throwing my filthy coins in Mr. Tim Schafer & Friend's hat, id be entitled to a truely epic event of historic proportions spanning several decades?

I think also that "size" does matter. We may wouldn't see any other adventure game from Tim and Ron again, so i think that the game, especially after the budget they raised, should at least have a 7-8 hours length (Deathspank was long enough for a 15$ game).

Except that, making Adventure games is always fun! ;-)

The story and replayability of the game is equally important.Let's hope that the game would be as good as Grim Fandango and DOTT.

The main problem with adventure games is that once you go through the story, the replay value isn't there to go through it many more than maybe just one more time. Unless maybe the story was that great or there were tie-ins and hidden "easter eggs" from earlier parts of the story (like say the Babylon 5 TV series or the 'The Usual Suspects' movie or something similar) that make it worth going back and trying to find them.

You could get a longer game perhaps by having multiple story-lines where your actions can change the story completely. It would then be longer in the sense that you can go back and make different choices. Or perhaps you can play the game through as different characters following only their part in the story. That way you have the same storyline, yet the whole game play-thru experience is different for each of all X number of characters.

Now if you were to mix in aspects of another genre say RPG or something (like Quest for Glory) then maybe you could turn the whole replay value of the game around to spite that of adventure games of the past.

Just my thoughts. But I would like to have a game to play at the end where it didn't only last all of a mere week's play and then be done with it forever.

I prefer long games, with different solution paths and increasing difficulty. So you could solve puzzles in many ways and it affects the game play. Maybe you could collect trophies for the different solution paths, that would encourage to play the game multiple times to find all possible solutions and trophies.

But the game should always be challenging. Repeating same patterns too much is making it borring. If the game gets stretched too much, by senseless stuff (like running back and forth, smalltalk, ...) it gets borring too. From my point of view it would be best as long as you can come up with brilliant challenges and jokes. If the game gets about 90% predictable, the game will fail. So it should be a fair ballance between length and content.

I really hope it won´t be short game.

I enjoy games I can relax with for hours and hours. Something epic!

I hate short games...

Its interesting to note the ways in which quality and quantity overlap.

In some ways, quantity is quality. The longer a game is, the better it is (unless you prefer shorter games).

And in some ways quality is quantity. A shorter game can be packed with more Pleasure and Value per unit of game length, which people often say is better.

It gets even more complicated (and simpler) when you consider that sometimes less = more. When you take away complexity, you gain simplicity. People call that 'minimalism'.

And sometimes worse = better. Certain people like B-movies specifically because they are bad. The lack of professionalism in things like fan-fiction and amateur art can make them more accessible and relatable. Noise rock sounds horrible, but some people love it (or possibly hate/love it)--presumably because it sounds horrible, though they often say it sounds beautiful, so I guess horrible can be beautiful too.

Ultimately its safe to assume that there must be times when more = better = less = worse.

For example, I spent more words trying to explain this in order to make better sense, but ended up making less sense, which could be worse--unless it made you laugh more, which could be better.

So its all good/bad unless its not.

Well, this is supposed to be a kickback to the glory days right?

I don't think they should go into it with any predetermined ideas about length... They should make it as long or short as the story needs it needs to be... That's my opinion anyway.

(Oh man! To think we missed out on a full 1/3 of Full Throttle goodness... That sux!)

Sign in to follow this