Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

What are the best Point and Click adventures of the last 10 years?

Machinarium

Sword & Sworcery EP

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

There's quite a few good ones some less mentioned\known would probably be the Blackwell Trilogy/quadrilogy and The Moment of Silence. Theres loads of good games but they are worth looking at if you haven't.

The "remastered" broken sword games? Terrible, absolutely destroys everything that was good about them, loses the magic it had, i think its a shame theres probably a lot of people playing broken sword for the first time getting served up that filth.

For me good and great adventures kept on coming, and I played and enjoyed them, be it the Runaway series, The Longest Journey, The Whispered World, and so forth.

BUT, there is something different and something else for me about those classics, mainly Lucas Arts and Lucasfilm Games created.

Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island. I played each of those games like 20 times to this day, still not having enough.

There were more great adventures, for sure, but they never quite could keep up.

I think this is mainly, ignored nostalgia for once, because the puzzles, dialogs and characters of all titles following never really caught up, no idea why.

Of course, this just my two cents. So, I have no adventures to add from the last 10 years. ; )

-The Moment of Silence (amazing commentary about 9/11!)

-Culpa Innata (with a fascinating Sci-Fi story)

-The Trilby games by Yahtzee

-BEN THERE DAN THAT & sequel - Those were really funny!

And a personal favorite, even if it was an amateur adventure: Larry Vales, Traffic Division (and sequel). It was really silly, but I laughed my ass off with that one.

fantastic point and click:

1. the longest journey

2. Runaway 1: a road adventure

3. Runaway 3: a twist of fate

4. a vampyre story

5. the book of unwritten tailes

6. Ankh

7. syberia

8. dreamfall

9. Runaway 2: the dream of the turtle

9. tunguska

Machinarium

Sword & Sorcery

TellTale's take on the Monkeys Island games.

I wish I could say TellTale's version of Sam & Max, but I enjoyed the original's pixelated "cheesy retro ambience" way too much.

Plus I still can't get used to seeing Steve Purcell's amazing character rendered in game-3D. If only he could convince his current employer (Pixar) to take a pass at Sam & Max, then I might be on board with taking them out of the 2D realm.

I'm wondering why so few people here mention "Time Gentlemen, Please!". Should't fans of Double Fine's humor love that game?

I did forget Sword & Sworcery! Great game for the iPad. You could click on various objects in the world and sort of interact with them. What was pretty neat.

"Sam & Max" from Telltale is a given.

I also liked "So Blonde" a lot. In many ways a Monkey Island parody.

Then there is "The Experiment", while not point and click in the traditional sense (it has a very unique control scheme) I would still say it fits within the rules of the thread.

Johnny Rocketfingers. That magnificently suppish bastard has a special spot in my heart.

From the point and click adventures I've played over the past 10 years I'd say the new Sam and Max games by Telltale and the Ace Attorney games by Capcom are definitely the best, good humor and good puzzles.

Honorable mention for Ghost Trick also by Shu Takumi(creator of Ace Attorney), though some consider it more an actual puzzle game than adventure game.

EDIT: I forgot about the Chzo Mythos(Trilbys Notes isn't P&C though).

Syberia 1 & 2

machinarium

The longest journey

Myst 4

new edition of monkey island's games (eheheheheheh)

As someone who thinks most of the best games around were made between 1991 and 2000, this isn't particularly easy for me to contribute to. However, one game that I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if it has been) is Nick Bounty in A Case Of The Crabs by Mark Darin back in 2004. Wonderful little game, big nod to the classic point and clicks and The Maltese Falcon, and a brilliant ending. I am a sucker for film noir and slow jazz, so I'm a little biased.

This thread is great for discovering new games. Had never heard of Runaway before but after checking out the artwork I'll be downloading them on steam.

I think all my favourites have been mentioned:

Gemini Rue I LOVED this game. Had a real Beneath the Steel Sky kind of vibe to it. Probably the most I've enjoyed a point and clicker since the Lucas Arts haydays.

Also a big fan of the Ace Attorney series and the Hotel Dusk and it's sequel Last Window and Another Code by the same people. I think the DS has had the most success with adventure games this decade. Touch Detective was simple but still fun to play.

I really wanted to enjoy the Telltale games Sam and Max series but it just didn't have the same feel as the original and it felt... 'clunky'. I think I will give the Back to the Future ones a go though.

Still Life was also quite enjoyable, shame they didn't choose to make more stories for it!

And although it's strictly not a complete point and click adventure Puzzle Agent was also good fun, great story and the gnomes did freak me out a bit!

Cant wait to see whats in store from Double Fine!

the longest journey (because of the great story-telling, setting, well everything really.)

telltale's sam & max (because it's so damn funny!)

telltales monkey island ((because it's so damn funny! And it's Monkey Island. I think they updated the formula pretty well.)

Oh, and I liked Hector Badge of carnage as well. But I don't rate it as high as the ones above.

I've played plenty more adventure games (many of German origin, since that's where adventure still lives apperently) but I found most of them lacking in some areas. Usually half-baked attempts at being funny or boring characters or shabby story. Like Ceville, Runaway, The Next Big Thing, Gray Matter, Simon the Sorcerer 4 and 5, Ghost pirates of voodju island and unfortunately I could go on... Not neccesarily bad, but just not good enough...

Gray Matter: as most people have pointed out it's not Jensen's best, but still I really liked it. The big puzzle towards the end of the game is probably the best one I've seen in the last 10 years. I wonder if it could have become a real classic if there weren't have been so many problems during its development and/or if it had had a bigger budget (at several points - e.g. the comic-style cinematics - I got the impression they didn't have enough money to do what they really had in mind).

The Runaway trilogy: though not mentioned a lot in the first posts, I'm glad to see its name occurring often in the last ones. Contrary to most opinions, however, I did enjoy the first two parts more than the third one (although I really liked it as well). They had some flaws, but nothing as big as to spoil a great experience.

Scratches: only a couple of people have mentioned this adventure, and it's a pity because I guess that means it's not too known, otherwise I think its name would occur in more posts. Not too long (but not too short either) horror story, really immersive and scary, and well done. If I'm not wrong it was made by only two people, but the result has nothing to envy to "bigger" games. Definitely worth it!

And finally two honorable mentions. First, to Black Mirror 1 (I started playing the second part but I didn't really like it), and despite not being point & click, to Tales of Monkey Island, because at many points it really felt like the old Monkey Island games (waaaay more than EMI), I enjoyed it a lot.

I guess that by getting older and playing more games; and the evolution of gaming since the old days have made me more demanding (for what I expect of a GOOD adventure game). That's why I would personally like a 3D engine for the game, so you can make ingame cinematic cutscenes. It draws you in much more. have you seen the animation in some of the recent adventure games? It's horrid! Telltale's solved that pretty well I think, and on a tight budget...

Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please!

Gemini Rue

Telltales Sam and Max

Blackwell Trilogy

I would say Machinarium as well. Loved the whole experience: graphics, story, music... Something not so easy to find around. Videogame industry needs games like these, true art pieces.

Of really recent stuff I have really enjoyed the Clickshake Games adventure games. The Several Journeys of Reemus, Ballad of Reemus and Small Favor series have been full of entertaining dialogue and puzzles. Sure most of them are short free to play games but when you put them together as a series they yield an interesting narrative as well. One important thing to consider about these games is that about 30% of what makes them enjoyable is their sense of humor, if you do not find them funny you will likely not appreciate them all that much.

Machinarium is also a great game however given its previous mention I don't think it needs much explanation. Truly fascinating artistic and storytelling choices.

Finally found my old account! My favorite is definitely a fan effort from 2002 called Aftershocked. It feels just like the old Lucasarts adventure games I loved, from the characters to the writing to the puzzles.

I don't think I can mention anything that hasn't been mentioned already.

I've definitely enjoyed everything I've played that has come out of TellTale (including Back To The Future), though none of them have felt particularly challenging (least of all BTTF, though I still enjoyed it as a form of entertainment).

In order of enjoyment:

Host Master and the Conquest of Humor

Time Gentlemen, Please! & Ben There, Done That

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Jolly Rover

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People

Hector: Badge of Carnage

Well, easy for me:

1. MACHINARIUM (i love that game too Mr. Schafer)

2. A VAMPYRE STORY

3. THE MOMENT OF SILENCE

4. DREAMFALL (omg I absolutley ADORE this one!!!!)

5. THE WHISPERED WORLD

6. RUNAWAY (Runaway: A Road Adventure; Runaway: Dream of the Turtle; Runaway: A Twist of Fate)

7. THE LOST CHRONICLES OF ZERZURA

8. SECRET FILES: TUNGUSKA (1 and 2)

9. EDNA & HARVEY - EDNA'S Breakout

10. BLACK MIRROR

11. GRAY MATTER

12. DEPONIA

I REALLY HOPE I DIDNT FORGET ONE... and i played all of the games OF COURSE!!!!

EDIT: I AM AN UNBELIEVABLE IDIOT!!! I AM SOOOO SORRY... i forget my favourite one:

13. S Y B E R I A (all parts): of the one and only BENOIT SOKAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG WTF... there are SOOOOOOOOOO MANY GOOD ADVENTURES i must say!!!

Eidt 2: OMG what wrong with me??? I forgot another game:

14. The Next Big Thing

15. and also ANKH deserves to be listed in the top 10