Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

What are the best Point and Click adventures of the last 10 years?

Here, at least, is the content that was lost from this thread in the Great Post Redirect of '12. I know many of you put a lot of time and effort into your lists!

User: Bennigans

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 09:39:17

Sam and Max - All three seasons. I had a lot of fun playing through all of them.

Dreamfall - I can't remember much about it, but I remember liking it. It's tough to find anything post-2002, lol.

AGD Interactive's Games - Sorry, Tim and Ron, they're remaking games from your arch rival, Sierra. So far, they've remade four text based games from Sierra; King's Quest 1, 2, & 3 and Quest for Glory 2. I know AGD's remakes probably aren't within the rules, but they're worth mentioning for anyone that wants to play some good point-and-click's from the good ole days.

----

User: Aristotlol

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 10:24:12

The only good point and clicks since then have been indie ones (apart from some of the Telltale games, I suppose). Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen Please were okay. Gemini Rue is by far the best offering by Wadget Eye Games... Although I haven't tried that Downfall. I'm given to understand that Yahtzee's adventure games were quite good, but they were too ugly and filled with annoying sound effects for me. The Journey Down seems quite charming, haven't played it much though... And what's that claymation point and click again?

A Vamypre's Tale would have been excellent if it was a finished game, although I don't think they really pulled off their weird inventory system, and the voice acting was infuriating.

I have to say, I thought Gray Matter and the Syberia games were dreadful.

Edit: If I had to pick one it would be... er... Gemini Rue.

----

User: Barry Woodward

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 10:28:19

Gemini Rue (available on Steam)

IGN Review

Having done all the writing, animation and programming himself, Gemini Rue took Josh Nuernberger a total of three years to make—the same amount of time it takes some triple-A titles to hit the shelves. If only more triple-A games turned out this well. With seamless, intuitive gameplay, impressive atmosphere and one of most well-crafted and interesting storylines seen in recent years, Gemini Rue is a game not just for adventure fans, but for anyone who loves a good, gritty yarn.

----

User: doodinthemood

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 10:34:39

• Out of Order (brilliant and free, you must play)

• Sam & Max season 2

• Gemini Rue

• Dark Fall (hit and miss puzzles though)

----

User: Tikara

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 11:14:30

Hmm... Honestly, I think my personal favorite, no matter how flawed it is, is the Chzo Mythos series of games by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. It's that nice mix of adventure and creepy horror that I really like. The story might get really muddled in places, but it more than makes up for it in what parts of the story are understandable! At least in my opinion haha~

If you don't want to play it, or have already and want to see someone else's take on it, here's a Let's Play about it. it contains tons of spoilers, though. It's also a pretty bloody game. Just fyi 8Uc

----

User: Chief Wakamakamu

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 17:27:36

Chzo Mythos has many things going for it, but really the third (Trilby's Notes) is when it knocks it out of the park, and that one isn't point and click.

I'm going to throw up one in a slightly different vain -- Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure is one of the most creative (and highest rated) games on Wii. It takes most of the motifs of classic point and click and streamlines them, focusing on having really clever puzzles.

Here is the first "Boss Puzzle" of the game:

Also, while many of TellTale's games are cool, the first three chapters of Back to the Future, the final chapter of Tales of Monkey Island and the second chapter of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse seem to have something special going on.

----

User: JelDeRebel

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 17:53:25

I loved Machinarium

I also played Penny Arcade Adventures On the Rain-SlickPrecipice of Darkness. Point n lick with RPG elements. Pretty decent game, kinda lacking in the gameplay department though.

My favourite series is Professor Layton though. There's less puzzles on the overworld, making the game very straightforward. To advance through the story you have to complete little brainteasers

Anyone know a list of PointnClick games for Iphone/Android?

----

User: Gaston

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 19:49:56

The Whispered World should be one, no doubt.

The problem with most modern adventures games, is that they lack the complexity of the old games; now it's everything to straightforward and simple.

But The Whispered World felt to me like a comeback of the old school era, with lots of exploration, big inventory, not an excessive ammount of clues, etc.

And on top of all that, beatiful graphics, music and story.

----

User: ajf4000

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 20:00:09

Just had to come on here to second the wonderfulness of Jane Jenson's Grey Matter. The most absorbing, atmospheric, genuinely intriguing adventure game I've played in some time; with beautiful cutscenes and captivating story. Deserves far more credit, IMO.

Overclocked and Still Life were quite good too, but it must be said, the very best of the genre was pre-2002.

Comedically, the latter two seasons of Sam and Max; Wallace and Gromit, and Hector: Badge of Carnage are all pretty great. Telltale have their issues, but their output over the years has been overall pretty considerable. Back to the Future was dreadful, though (I must admit to even preferring Jurassic Park).

----

User: SurplusGamer

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 21:21:00

Puzzle Bots

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse

Machinarium (that's the name, rather than Mechinarium!)

Lots of good ones others have mentioned, too.

User: dave00dance

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 22:36:17

(RUNAWAY A ROAD TRIP ADVENTURE) high production visualy amazing series currently playing the third right now

(BLACKWELL SERIES / GEMINI RUE) Great for what they are on there respective budgets plus the retro feel really works for them

(STILL LIFE) good game

(SECRET FILES Tunguska) great game didnt like the 2nd one but a lot of people do

(VAMPYRE STORY) it was ok a bit boring but the visual style was great closest thing to a classic lucasarts game and theres even a nod to DOTT in the stained glass windows Library

(GRAY MATTER) not jensens best work but its still a very decent point and click even had me welling up at one point, can't say an adventure game has done that to me before so yeh good job, not Gabrial knight standard but worth a play

(BLACK MIRROR 2) really like this game great art work interesting story not finished it yet defo one of the best ive played in some time

(MACHINARIUM) a true work of art a bit too short and had some hair pulling puzzles but brilliant

(THE LOST CROWN a ghost hunting adventure) probs my favorite newish one ive played in awile, really cozy atmosphear unique art style and sound track, some dire voice acting, but all in all really enjoyed it looking forward to the next one

These are some good games but nothing that can top the 90s era

games like Broken Sword 1/2, Gabrial knight 1/2, Call of cthulhu shadow of the comet, lucasarts/sierra golden years of course

i would include Heavy Rain / Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) but like Tim says are they adventure games? mmm hybrid? i would say more yes than no.

my dream game from Tim would be a Day of the Tentacle sequel before Telltale performs 3D Tentacle rape.

----

Date: Sat Mar 03/10/12 22:56:42

i would include Heavy Rain / Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)

They might be the most interesting adventure games in recent years, but they aren't point n click.

----

User: Charlie Blackmore

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 00:51:36

Sam & Max Season 1 2 & 3. I love TellTale's games, and they haven't disappointed me with Sam & Max.

----

User: Volkswagenhausen

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 03:33:54

wow, reading all the replies, I really think people have low expectations these days.

All these german adventures: Ankh, Lost Files, Whispered World and what not... You consider them good?

I think in the last 10 years, for me, there were only a few good (not great) adventures:

Gray Matter, because it had an absolutely beautiful story and atmosphere.

Still Life 1 ( Still Life 2 is baaaad)

That's it, I guess. All the other games I played are average at best.

EDIT:

I also played one game of the Blackwell Series.

Don't know, which one it was.

But yeah, it had a pretty nice atmosphere and was really not bad.

----

User: Gaston

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 05:02:55

wow, reading all the replies, I really think people have low expectations these days.

All these german adventures: Ankh, Lost Files, Whispered World and what not... You consider them good?

I think in the last 10 years, for me, there were only a few good (not great) adventures:

Gray Matter, because it had an absolutely beautiful story and atmosphere.

Still Life 1 ( Still Life 2 is baaaad)

That's it, I guess. All the other games I played are average at best.

EDIT:

I also played one game of the Blackwell Series.

Don't know, which one it was.

But yeah, it had a pretty nice atmosphere and was really not bad.

Well yes, i really enjoyed The Whispered World. It was for me the only one with descent puzzles.

About the other games that were mentioned , i really don't dig Telltale approach to adventure games, i would just put them as an example for what not to do.

Gemini Rue, while it has been critically aclaimed, i found it to be really, really, easy and straight forward.

Autumn moon games have both it share of problems.

Syberia (i only played the first) felt really linear and empty. Great atmosphere but really little interactivity

Machinarium was really good, but it was mostly based on stand-alone puzzles.

Didn't play Gray Matter, i probably should check it out.

But all in all The Whispered World it's the only one that offered me a truly complete and well balanced experience. To each its own i guess.

----

User: Sonic9jct

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 06:35:22

Sam & Max Season Two is really good. So is Zak and Wiki on the Wii.

----

User: seanm388

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 06:41:33

Since Myst IV and V came out after 2002, I'll add the whole Myst series. Every game had a really unique atmosphere with clever and logical puzzles. Plus, there were interesting characters and a story that came to wonderful resolution at the end of the series.

----

User: pharmmajor

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 06:42:30

Know I'll be repeating a lot that have been mentioned already, but these are the best point-&-click games I've played over the past decade:

- Telltale's Sam & Max Trilogy (Devil's Playhouse was the best, IMO)

- Syberia

- Secret Files: Tunguska

- Gray Matter

- Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent

- Zack and Wiki

- Machinarium

----

User: Cyrus

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 07:47:48

Fahrenheit

Runaway 1-3

Penny Arcade Adventures (not a pure adventure, but with lots of adventure elements)

A Vampyre Story

Insecticide

And...do fangames count?

If yes:

Out of Order

Christmas Quest

Broken Sword 2.5

Al Gurbish in: Nick it & Run

Zak McKracken: Between Time & Space

Adventure: The Inside Job

Snakes of Avalon

P. D. (it's veeeeeeery short but nontheless awesome and LucasArts-ish)

Sam & Max: Case Gilbert (only a demo, but still)

M:I-2 LeChuck's Revenge

----

User: kickinthehead

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 07:54:25

My favorites of recent years are Machinarium and The Dream Machine.

Machinarium I greatly enjoyed aside from running into a brick wall due to not finding small clickable items

The Dream Machine has some great writing and puzzles that can take a while to solve but always seem intuitive and have a great world logic to them. Also at any given time there are usually a very limited number of things to work with which helps guide you toward the solution.

Not a traditional point and click adventure game, but Ghost Trick is sort of a puzzly adventure game with great puzzles.

I didn't play it but Hector: Badge of Carnage looked pretty fun.

----

User: GenoForPrez

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 08:25:15

I'll just put my vote in for Machinarium.

Unique artwork/atmosphere. Excellent depictions of character without using VO or text dialogue. Cool idea for a clue system, although I found the controls for it a little wonky. I also liked how, once you reach the fountain area in the middle of town, it stops being linear and there isn't really one clear path to take. You're just kind of wandering between several different paths in this little machine town, trying out various stuff, seeing what happens, trying to figure out if it's useful. I think that experience sort of captures the "adventure" element. Like you're a little archeologist in this little machine world (or whatever world), just poking around at stuff. What's this do? What's THAT thing? Who's THIS weird guy?! Etc. Machinarium (and Samorost before it) does that so well. The Myst series is also good for that. It's a huge advantage to setting a game in a quirky other-world: you still have everything to learn about it.

----

User: doodinthemood

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 08:53:12

3 people for Zack&Wiki; now. It's great and all, but is it really an adventure game?

User: Nillerus

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 08:54:30

Wallace and Gromit in particular was a quite magical experience, because it captured

that whimsical universe so well, and the puzzles all felt very appropriate to it.

Some minor issues, but mitigated by the gameplay experience.

While I very much enjoyed Sam & Max, and the Back to the Future Games as well,

because they are good games, and for obvious nostalgic reasons, I felt that especially Sam & Max lacked some edge,

somehow. The content was there, brains, zombies and all that goodness, but somehow the... discourse didn't quite back it up.

Very vague, I know, there was just some core element missing for me. Still, easily some of the best adventure games.

They just felt... average, somehow. Perhaps their episodic nature?

As a long time gamer it's almost second nature to analyze the structure and whatnot of games, which I am

especially guilty of in Telltale's games for some reason, and it destroys any semblance of immersion.

Essentially, games that make you flush any kind of subconscious meta-analysis of

their structure down the toilet, are the ones that stick with you as far as I am concerned

Machinarium was pretty much perfect. All that loving attention to detail.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of The Tiny Bang Story, which feels very similar to Machinarium.

Make it just slightly gritty, don't dumb it down, NO quicktime events, and we've got a winner Mr. Schafer.

Also, you must nourish my inner child. NOURISH IT!

----

User: jtbach

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 09:09:33

Dreamfall.

----

User: ultralooca

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 09:33:14

-Culpa Innata

-the last hour before the end credits of Gray Matter.

-Sam&Max; season 2

-Machinarium

That's it.

----

User: DarthBo

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 09:37:27

- Sam and Max season 3

- Hector

- Wallace and Gromit ep 2 and 3

----

User: Nemroth

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 10:22:56

- the Ankh-series. The very first point&-click-adventure I remember with 3D-graphic but oldschool point-and-click-controls (unlike Grim Fandango e.g.)

- also liked Ceville with its humour and setting a lot

- The Whispered World had a beautiful story and was really oldschool in terms of puzzle design (sometime a little bit too oldschool in my opinion)

- and without any doubt, the best Adventure of the last 10 years is The Book of unwritten Tales. Great Humour, nice puzzles, multiple characters with (sadly just a few times) different puzzle-solutions.

----

User: mikeymike

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 11:10:07

"Deponia" is allegedly great, according to various Germans and a Metacritic score of 86.

----

User: Sleepcap

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 12:06:45

I really enjoyed "Edna & Harvey: The Breakout".

Strange no one mentioned this before..

It had unique voice-overs for all strange actions with your inventory and the environment,

----

User: Freeze

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 12:46:31

Gemini Rue, just the right level of challenge and and interesting story with good ambience.

Puzzle Bots, fun game with some nice puzzles.

Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, a great story though quite difficult as a game.

Scarlett and the Spark of Life, funny and clever it's a pity they only made one, when it was made to be a series.

I do count touch games as point and click ones like Ghost Trick and Scarlett.

----

User: Manoloko

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 13:25:13

Time Gentlemen, Please is really good, also Ben There Dan That it's good fun.

I specially like them as they were made using Adventure Game Studio, which I believe it's a tool that's been keeping the point-and-click adventure games alive for years.

----

User: Lehm2000

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 15:26:40

Dreamfall.

Its been awhile since I played that one, I don't remember that one being point and click. Its an action hybrid isnt it? The original was definitely point and click.

----

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 16:58:59

Ghost Trick Phantom Detective

Ghost Trick was brilliant - anyone with a DS must play it. I also love how close it is to fitting the parameters of Tim's question.... Point and... tap? Or just tap?

----

User: Leroy Rocktopus

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 18:01:03

I've only really played Telltale's Sam & Max games. Unless we can count Ace Attorney, cuz those games are the bombdiggity!

----

User: buemba

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 18:21:30

No particular order:

Gemini Rue

The Shivah

The Blackwell Trilogy

Ben There, Dan That

Time Gentlemen, Please

Sam & Max season 2 (Didn't like 1 and 3 quite as much)

Tales of Monkey Island

Machinarium

Trace Memory

Hotel Dusk

Also, Dreamfall isn't traditional p&c but it's still an adventure game. And it's awesome.

----

User: fco.

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 18:57:43

machinarium

strong bad's cool game for attractive people

ben there dan that/time gentlemen, please

syberia

myst iv

----

User: mutedia

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 19:48:25

I think every game I wanted to mention has been listed, but I'd like to add L.A. Noire to that list, I know Ron doesn't consider that game to be an adventure game but I do... if you remove the driving and the shooting, it's a lot like the police quest games..

----

User: Captain Moonlight

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 19:53:06

I think every game I wanted to mention has been listed, but I'd like to add L.A. Noire to that list, I know Ron doesn't consider that game to be an adventure game but I do... if you remove the driving and the shooting, it's a lot like the police quest games..

Not to be churlishly pedantic, but I think Ron was relatively okay with calling LA Noire an adventure, at least compared to Limbo. But also, it's not a point and click :P:D

Emoticon overload. :S

----

User: fullgrim

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 20:25:42

In my opinion, not released a super point & click adventure in the last 10 years, but leftovers in mind:

> Gray Matter

> A Vampyre Story

> Machinarium

> Syberia I - II

> Myst IV: Revelation and V

> Gemini Rue

> Still Life I

> Runaway I - II

> Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 1 and 3

> Broken Sword 2.5

> Zak McKracken: Between Time & Space

> Age of Enigma-The Secret of the Sixth Ghost

----

User: Legend

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 21:00:15

I'm surprised no mentioned Pendulo Studios latest game: The Next Big Thing, yet. Unique artstyle and look (playable in 1080p; looks stunning on my HDTV), memorable characters, interesting story and puzzles, and it's funny as hell.

All of Pendulo Studios' games released in the past 10 years have been amazing actually (Runaway 3 had one of the best story twists I've ever seen in a videogame since I started playing them 25 years ago). I think Pendulo is the best game developer focused on developing adventure games working today, and I can't wait for their next game "Yesterday" which is coming out soon.

http://www.yesterday-game.com/

I really hope that this project's production value would at least be as high as The Next Big Thing if not better!

User: Monkey Mania

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 21:29:05

Tales of Monkey Island, and that's not saying much. Adventure gamers need you, Tim.

----

User: Beakesy

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 21:55:16

Hmmm, well props to tell-tale for developing the episodic adventure with a good hint system. Tales of monkey island were pretty good, and some nice ideas in series 3 of Sam and max, the psychic powers such as future vision were quite clever way of reverse engineering certain puzzle solutions.

Further afield I rated Syberia 1 for its haunting qualities, thoughts puzzles were often too isolated, which led to a fairly linear experience. I did totally get into the art and story, plus it had a creepy Russian dude talking about 'his massive organ' so that's a bonus!

Ankh 1 was quite pleasing, it had a simplicity and charm in its approach to a fairly overlooked setting, thought the health bar, canned dates puzzle was a touch cheeky mind...

Played a really nice little AGS game called the apprentice (2) challenging with a good understanding of multiple objectives that added non linearity at same time wicked 2 man production with good art standards too.

Machinarium's utterly lovely, also have been meaning to play through Ben there and dan that past the demo, can't really comment on the puzzles but the tone and humour is completely it's own.

They're the ones of note I can think of there are a few stinkers I'd happily rinse on here but that's not what we're doing here...

----

User: FuKuy

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 22:05:40

Lost Horizon

Gemini Rue

A Vampyre Story

The Abbey

Blackwell series

Machinarium

Runaway series

The Next Big Thing

Whispered World

And I loved Tales of Monkey Island even it's not a point & click adventure actually...

----

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 22:16:29

Not to be churlishly pedantic, but I think Ron was relatively okay with calling LA Noire an adventure, at least compared to Limbo. But also, it's not a point and click :P:D

yes of course, the controls are not exactly point and click.. but if you stripped the combat/driving from it and removed the keyboard/game-pad controls in favor of a mouse, it would fit the bill.. I just think there's a reason for it to be mentioned in this list, it just reminded me of how stagnant the adventure game genre has been lately.

the object manipulation puzzles were interesting, I remember a puzzle in king's quest 7 that involved zooming in on an item to switch it's purpose.

even then, I think L.A. Noire got a lot of things wrong but what it got right, like the ambience, the color temperature, and music, it excelled in .

I also failed to mention a more traditional point and click game, Apprentice http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=250

----

Date: Sun Mar 03/11/12 23:53:17

yes of course, the controls are not exactly point and click.. but if you stripped the combat/driving from it and removed the keyboard/game-pad controls in favor of a mouse, it would fit the bill.. I just think there's a reason for it to be mentioned in this list, it just reminded me of how stagnant the adventure game genre has been lately.

the object manipulation puzzles were interesting, I remember a puzzle in king's quest 7 that involved zooming in on an item to switch it's purpose.

even then, I think L.A. Noire got a lot of things wrong but what it got right, like the ambience, the color temperature, and music, it excelled in .

I also failed to mention a more traditional point and click game, Apprentice http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=250

Actually, I played a free point-and-click adventure game online called Scene of the Crime: Golden Doll that reminded me a lot of L.A. Noire. It's a traditional point-and-click game, but it removes all of the driving by just putting a city map in your inventory. And whenever you want to change locations, you just pull up your city map and click on where you want to go. You still get to interview witnesses and such, and there are still dialogue paths that reveal more information if you play your cards right or less information if you act like a total jerk. Like in other adventure games, you sometimes have to find specific objects to bribe certain information out of people.

Every location you go to is a scene with evidence in it, and you have to find it. There is more evidence in some places than others, but you turn the scene over trying to find anything with names of people related to the case, or objects that might belong to them, or clues that seem relevant. You can pick up bullet casings, ticket stubs, matchbooks, that sort of thing, and put them in your inventory. Then, once you've thoroughly checked out a scene, you go back to your office. And the office is what really makes the game fun.

What's cool about the office is that you have two stations: your desk (forensics) and your bulletin board (leads). If you sit at your desk, you can spread out all of the ticket stubs, matchbooks, bullet casings, etc on your desktop and look at it. You can even dust the items for fingerprints by taking a brush out of your inventory, using it on the brushing agent, then using it on the piece of evidence, then using a piece of tape on the evidence. You just made NEW evidence! Every piece of evidence you create or drop on the desk is automatically checked out by the department (driver's license numbers, serial numbers, fingerprints in database, etc). So you also want to check the paper tray on your desk for new reports the PD drops off for you. You can then tack the reports to your bulletin board. The bulletin board is a place where you tack photographs, police reports, fingerprints, notes, receipts, etc. The fun thing about the bulletin board is that it is literally a puzzle. You can interact with all of the evidence on it. Click it, drag it around, tack related information close to the things you think are related to it. But if you KNOW that two things are related (e.g., a person's name and their license number), you can drag them on top of each other, and they'll tack to each other with a satisfying chime and magical glow, and after that they are chunked when you move them around. So the bulletin board is where you go when you don't know where to go next. You put information together until you "solve" a new lead.

I actually put this in my original post, where I voted for Machinarium, but even though I think what they did with the office is a really awesome idea for a point-and-click, I don't know if I would say that the game itself is one of the ALL TIME BEST over the past decade. So I took it out. But it's still cool. Here if you want to try it: http://jayisgames.com/games/the-scene-of-the-crime-golden-doll/

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 01:46:51

SNIP HUGE QUOTE

Strangely I remembered playing this game but not the name, it's a very well made game for the medium. This is probably one of the best flash point and click game, there's a number of flash games under the 'escape' genre that i think would fit the genre, none of them are masterpieces but a couple of them are quite ingenious and very entertaining.

One thing I don't like about them is the navigation, it's quite easy to miss a room or 'scene' because you've been going around in circles.

Machinarium was quite good too, Samorost 1 & 2 were good as well, with incredible music, but I feel that these games are closer to the gobliiins games than the lucasarts games. It's certainly not something I'd expect from doublefine.

----

User: edweird

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 04:29:48

Many adventure games I've played in the last decade have felt somewhat generic, lacking the level of distinctive style, character, originality etc that the `90s games I loved had. Machinarium was probably the most memorable for me.

----

User: olegus

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:28:01

Metal Dead (2011)

NCfeBoLnMRs

----

User: MOOMANiBE

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:30:08

I'd like to put forth an old, obscure, awesome game that I haven't seen mentioned here: The Journeyman Project 3. One of the reasons it maintains its position as one of my favorite adventure games to this day is the AI companion Arthur, who resides in your helmet and makes all sorts of amusing quips and gives you interesting background facts about the locations you're in. Most of his dialogue is optional, but he really feels like a companion and hugely fleshes out and invests you in the world.

But more importantly, he also acts as a no-guilt hint system. If you're stuck, all you have to do is click on him and he'll give you an appropriate hint. There are couched in-universe and in-character "Hmm, maybe we have to do something with that X", generally humorous, and you never, -ever- feel bad for being stuck. Rather than feeding you the solutions, his hints get more and more detailed - usually starting very vague and making their way through about 5-6 tiers to being highly explicit.

The net result of this is that you never, ever feel bad for being stuck, and often the situation can feel like you asking a friend for help rather than caving to a "god, I guess I better look up the solution" system. Arthur's presence HUGELY smooths the gameplay experience for players like myself who aren't particularly good at adventure games, while not making us FEEL BAD about it. Journeyman Project 3 is my favorite adventure game of all time for this reason - I enjoyed every moment, even if I couldn't figure out every puzzle without some assistance. The hints felt like it was part of the experience, rather than me throwing my hands up and saying "I give up". Indeed, his hint dialogue is SO entertaining that I went back through the game afterward and deliberately listened to all the hints, simply because it was fun to listen to new dialogue from Arthur.

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:32:53

Strangely I remembered playing this game but not the name, it's a very well made game for the medium. This is probably one of the best flash point and click game, there's a number of flash games under the 'escape' genre that i think would fit the genre, none of them are masterpieces but a couple of them are quite ingenious and very entertaining.

One thing I don't like about them is the navigation, it's quite easy to miss a room or 'scene' because you've been going around in circles.

Yeah, the navigation is really the biggest thing that hurts Scene of the Crime, since there is no hint system and no way to tell where there are new rooms or new perspectives available, so you just end up moving the mouse around the screen and waiting to see if the mouse cursor changes. And some of the clues fall into the same classic errors Adventure games have always made. Like, who would have thought that you should use the fingerprinting tape on bloodstains to take a blood sample? I ultimately had to consult a walkthrough. So it has its problems, for sure, but I like how it uses the office as room where you pool together all these puzzle pieces you've been collecting, and you actually have to interact with them like puzzle pieces. It could have been executed better, but the idea is neat. I was intrigued by it.

Also, I love escape-the-room games. A lot of them are really lousy, but there are some really clever ones out there that I had an absolute blast with. There is a guy one Newgrounds who goes by the name of SimpleAndy who does a series of games he called Click Drag Type (i.e., the three methods of input at your disposal). But instead of escaping from a room, he just presents you with a sort of "gadget" or "machine" or complicated lock that you have to open, and the fun is all in trying to figure out how the gadget works in order to figure out how to open it. Gameplay-wise, it's a lot like some of the old machine puzzles you had to do in the Myst games. I think escape-the-room games and figure-out-this-gadget games would count as point-and-click, but I don't know that they would constitute an adventure game by themselves. They are basically just concentrated point-and-click puzzles with all the adventuring boiled away. But they could possibly offer some inspiration on interesting puzzle designs. Click Drag Type certainly has a lot of variety. Link to Click Drag Type, if you want to check it out: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/253435

I'm glad we're all nerds here; otherwise I might feel like a colossal nerd right now! HAHA. Ha. Heh. Ahem. Video games.

*edit*

NEW NOMINATION

I can't believe I forgot to mention it before! But I actually really liked TellTale's first PUZZLE AGENT game. I'm currently working on the second one and am not enjoying it quite as much as the first. (Mostly because they're just reusing all the same puzzles they used in the first one, so I have this constant feeling that I already beat this game.) And some say the games are just a ripoff of other popular point-and-clicks, but the first Puzzle Agent was good, and it had an incredibly awesome atmosphere that was simultaneously creepy and silly. I didn't even think those two could go together.

----

User: Montego23

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:33:51

All adventures from www.dedalic.de like Deponia or Harveys neue Augen.

----

User: SmashManiac

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:35:35

My pick:

Nine_Hours_Nine_Persons_Nine_Doors-s0.jpg

Shame on everybody for not mentioning this masterpiece yet!

Runner-ups:

- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Episode 4: Dangeresque 3

- Out of Order

- 7 Days a Skeptic

Special Mention: The original Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Technically it was released in 2001 in Japan so I'm not sure if it counts or not.

I'm surprised by most people's picks. In particular, I dislike Machinarium, Gemini Rue and Dreamfall, yet they've come up quite often.

----

User: dynamic1

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 05:39:36

My picks for my favorite point & click adventure games since 2002 would be the following...

Machinarium - A classic of modern point and click adventure gaming.

To the Moon - Kinda a blending between adventure and some old school RPG, but still a great overall emotional point and click adventure title.

The Book of Unwritten Tales - Great fantasy adventure game.

Gemini Rue - Great cyberpunk style noir game.

The Dream Machine - really great ongoing adventure indie series.

----

User: Henke

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 06:16:36

Gray Matter

Machinarium

Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright

Ghost Trick

The Lost Crown

If someone missed any of those then I really recommend checking it out.

----

User: Guamunist

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 06:23:19

Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure

----

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 06:31:06

Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure

How could I forget this?!?! This game is definitely amazing. I sent it to pretty much every person I know who has/loves kids.

To those who haven't yet: http://ponycorns.com/

----

User: Coren

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 06:38:38

Machinarium was very nice. The mood was spot on, the art and music were gorgeous, and my only gripe was with the tricky nature of some of the puzzles. Those could have benefited from some extra pointers in the game world. The in-game walkthrough was nice and all, but it did take you out of the game, which was a shame.

Then there's The Dream Machine. I thought the first episode was very strong, and the other two weren't too shabby either. I again liked the mood best, and the fact that there's a distinct human element to the story. Especially in that first episode.

To The Moon is another one I loved. Masterfully told story. Made me tear up a little. Too bad it was more of an interactive story than an adventure game. Not saying interactive stories are a bad thing, mind, just that that's not what I'd like to serve as a template for the Double Fine adventure.

People have been mentioning Gemini Rue, and I'm afraid I'll have to vocally disagree there. Horribly unequal game, with stilted dialogue, unintuitive puzzles, and I still hate its guts for not even acknowledging my perfectly valid solutions and interactions.

So to sum up, what makes adventure games for me is mood, emotion, and originality. What breaks them are puzzles that aren't an organic part of the world, rules that feel like constraints to the player, and blind adherence to antiquated game mechanics (it's okay to be retro, just don't make the same mistakes all over again).

User: psychonerd

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 06:58:07

Finally I can post... So here goes the list

Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon (I didn't get to Angel of Death yet)

Siberia

Runaway

Sam & Max

Machinarium

Tales of Monkey Island

Ankh

Longest Journey, though it had too much talking and more bugs I couldn't finish it.

----

User: StarSlapper

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 07:05:16

Well Tim, lots to choose from! The legacy of such traditional adventure games as Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango influenced many creative individuals. :)

My personal list

The top ones:

1. Syberia I link and II link

2. Black Mirror (I) link

3. Gemini Rue link

4. A Vampyre Story link

Honourable mentions:

Still Life (I) link

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon link

Frogware's Sherlock Holmes series (Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper link, Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis link, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened link)

Nelson Tethers' Puzzle Agent link

Guilty pleasures (kinky tastes):

Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures link Ep1 link Ep2 link Ep3 link Ep4

Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None link

Post Mortem link

etc.

----

User: CloudPS

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 07:07:21

Machinarium

The Book of Unwritten Tales

----

User: OzzieMonkey

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 08:00:52

The Book of Unwritten Tales (I'm still playing through it, but so far it's great)

Machinarium

A Vampyre Story

Ghost Pirates from Vooju Island

All of Telltale's games (Sam and Max to Back to the Future)

Hector: Badge of Carnage

----

User: psychonerd

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 08:02:00

It's weird how I stumble upon recommended adventure games I never heard of despite the shortage and desperate need for it during mid 2000.

----

User: Gnomey

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 08:05:54

Well, welcome me and here are them recommendations:

Tales of Monkey Island

Scratches

The Blackwell series

Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please

Gemini Rue

The Book of Living Magic

----

User: pkrs

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 08:10:13

1. Gray matter

2. Machinarium

3. Tales of Monkey island

4. Vampyre story

5. Black mirror 2

6. Overclocked

----

User: Glück

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 08:42:53

Agreed with Ben there, Dan that and Time, Gentlemen, please! Excellent, excellent comedy writing.

Tim, do you remember The West Wing episode where Sam Seaborn recommended Will as his replacement as Deputy White House Communications Director with a note to Toby Ziegler that read: "Toby — He's one of us."

Well, Dan Marshall and Ben Ward are two of... er, you.

We'll miss Dave Grossman, so can you hire these guys with your actual budget?! ;)

Also:

Ghost trick

Not 100% point and click:

Phoenix Wright trilogy

Zak & Wiki

L.A. Noire

----

User: QuantumDude

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:23:42

Coming from Germany, I can highly recommend looking into the games from Daedelic Entertainment. They make the best 2D point 'n click adventures right now. Taking the best from a generation of games like The Curse of Monkey Island, they have found a niche in today's gaming community and fill it perfectly.

Their newest release Deponia has earned great ratings and is really good.

Another mention: The Blackwell series. Great story, great gameplay. Simply awesome.

On the Nintendo DS: Hotel Dusk!

----

User: Stravagante

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:37:59

I absolutely love Syberia 1, 2 is also good though not as good storywise.

Secret Files 1 and 2 are great as well.

Then of course there's TellTale with Sam & Max, all seasons are awesome but I like the second one best.

Tales of Monkey Island, Back to the Future, great series.

The Runaway series is good fun. Ben there & Than that were hilarious throwbacks.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Hector: Badge of Carnage series as well.

The Next Big Thing was a good one.

The Whispered World was a very good experience, everthing from Deadric games is. I'm highly enticipating an English release for the Black Eye series.

I don't know if you can call Amnesia a point 'n click adventure per sé, but it does kinda feel like it.

Lost Horizon was a good playtrough.

I did like Machinarium and Samarost 2.

And my heart jumped when I discovered the Blackwell series.

And if we're bringing flash games into the mix I'd highly recomend the first Samarost and Johny Rocketfingers 1 and 2.

That's my 2 cents.

----

User: Guus_D

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:46:59

Screw the rules! Grim Fandango.

----

User: Constantine5

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:47:42

The Whispered World has the best story and best comic backgrounds of the last 10 years. But it has a terrible voice acting in the English version. The game is probably the best next to the old lucasarts classics.

The Runaway series are also nice.

----

User: Danaroth

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:48:12

Ben There, Dan That and especially the sequel Time Gentlemen, Please! are definitely my pick for best adventure game in the last 10 years as well. Hilarious comedy, that I probably enjoyed even more than the classics, with a different line of dialogue for whatever combination of items, and good puzzles, not as good as the classics but still statisfying and logical.

In this timeslot I also really enjoyed Gemini Rue for the immersive plot (a mix of scifi and noir) and the puzzles à la Gabriel Knight, that are perfectly fused with the story.

Also worth mentioning:

Runaway series, especally the third one, because of its high production values (but with some illogical puzzles at times)

Sam And Max and Tales of Monkey Island, that had some particularly entertaining episodes

Edna And Harvey The Breakout, for the old style puzzles (but with a terrible engine)

Duty and Beyond, for the enjoyment provided even being a freeware

Blackwell Series, especially the last episode (logical puzzles all around, but sometimes a tad too easy)

Machinarium, for the cute artstyle (not really a fan of non inventory based puzzles, though)

Still waiting to try some more stuff by Daedalic and King Art, though.

User: MetzoPaino

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 09:52:48

To be honest I don't have much patience for traditional Point & Clicks. I don't mind the older ones because those were simpler times, but I find modern versions to feel pretty archaic and frustrating.

I really enjoyed Machinarium however, but perhaps that's because they simplified the whole pointing, clicking, and item gathering process so I always felt like I was moving the game along. Plus the puzzles felt logical in the games world and it had an amazing art style and atmosphere. Got to admit that it was a little weaker on the back though.

Ghost Trick was great fun, and a very interesting twist on the genre. Feels more visceral too because you're stopping someone from getting shot, rather than doing some lever puzzle just to open a door. Unfortunately it sometimes bugged me with it's Japanisms like constantly restating the obvious and giving me way too much dialogue.

I loved Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. It's a Point & Click reduced down to it's bare bones and the atmosphere is phenomenal. I think that's what I love about this genre the most, because they are such slow games it is really great when a game can capture a mood, such as Grim Fandango, or Monkey Island. You can really sees the characters in those games existing even after the main story.

----

User: Stoner

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 10:13:27

- and without any doubt, the best Adventure of the last 10 years is The Book of unwritten Tales. Great Humour, nice puzzles, multiple characters with (sadly just a few times) different puzzle-solutions.

You beat me to it, yes it is absolutely the best adventure I have played in a long time.

It has great humor and everything that makes an adventuregame great. I will never forget the tax-mmo and the server operator, fantastic.

The voices with the accents are very well done and it is a great pleasure to play this surprise.

Runaway is another favorite series of mine.

Recently played the blackwell deception

But by far the book of unwritten tales was farout.

----

User: xtrackt

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 10:23:18

[del]The Longest Journey[/del] oops, 1 year too early :(

In that case, I'd say Syberia 1.

edit: As a sidenote, it's nice to go through this thread and see what people list. Seems there's quite a few Adventure games I should check out.

----

User: chrsolo

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 11:25:49

Syberia 1

(not the 2nd, which was less interesting because it lacks the main character developement arc of the 1rst)

(and special mention to A Vampyre Story, only for its awesome art and the object/actions management, because it was boring to play...)

----

User: Glück

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 11:31:40

Ben There, Dan That and especially the sequel Time Gentlemen, Please! are definitely my pick for best adventure game in the last 10 years as well. (...) with a different line of dialogue for whatever combination of items.

I see this characteristic as an advance in the genre, or at least a great funny stuff, worth incorporating in future adventures.

----

User: wysiwtf

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 11:39:05

Im sorry for all you americans (and to Tell Tale) but all the glorious adventures that have been released in the last decade are from europe, most of them from germany.

Most of them have been mentioned already, so I just state my personal favourites:

- The longest Journey: Dreamfall (Its been a while since this gem was released, but its Atmosphere is intense!)

- The whispered world (well, all of Daedalics Adventures really, but the others (Edna bricht aus, A New Beginning, Harveys neue Augen, Deponia and soon Satinavs Ketten) are not translated into english (yet), so I'll stick with TWW)

- Lost Horizon (the puzzles were a little too easy for my Taste, but the Story-Telling and Atmosphere are the best Ive experienced in a looong time. The "Geheimakte Tunguska" games are not bad either, Animation Arts is a class A Studio!)

- Book of unwritten Tales (Allthough I don't dig that 3d char point-n-click too much the humor in this was really great. Also the developer King Art is based in my Hometown (Bremen/Germany), so I cant leave it out :)

- The Next Big Thing (really weird humor, Kudos to Pendulo for that). Also the Runaway series has been mentioned. Well, while i really like the tech and love that went into it, somehow i cant cope with the protagonist (Brian) and the storyline, it just seems stereotypical and bad in my eyes (well, but thats taste I guess).

- Jack Keane, Ankh, Ceville and some others should be mentioned here, but as I said im not too fancy of the 3d-point-n-click-model so they are not among my favs.

As much as I love the new Indie Game Wave[tm], Im sorry to say that all the smaller Point n Click adventures do not reach the level of the list above. There were some nice approaches (Gemini Rue for instance) but not a single one that really convinced me. Try harder!

So, Double Fine:

Its time to show the world that the american developers still know how to do lovely 2d point 'n click adventures without repeating all the old jokes, going too casual on the puzzles or deliver a flat storyline. Its not going to be an easy task but if anyone out there can beat the european adventures from the last 3-4 years its Tim and Ron!

Wake up America! Point 'n click aint dead!

my 2 cents

-WYSIWTF

Edit:

One thing I'd like to add: The multiple-ways-approach of Indiana Jones 4 was one of the greatest things in adventure game design!

I dont know why nobody picked it up after that but I can state for myself that it VASTLY increases replay-value! While I completed almost all adventures only once (not counting the usual suspects from LucasArts, Sierra and Westwood) there wasnt a single point n click I played as often as I played Indy4. Even if its tricky to achieve and increases developement time and costs: ITS FUCKING WORTH IT!

----

User: Frogacuda

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 12:31:36

Most of what I liked has been mentioned. Machinarium, Ben There Dan That, Tales of Monkey Island.

But I'd like to throw one new one out there: Nearly Deaprted, which sadly remains uncompleted, but there's a very lengthy demo that covers about 3/4 of the game before becoming unbeatable. It's funny, has an original premise for the genre, and strong puzzle design.

----

User: cugeltheclever

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 12:32:27

Syberia is definitely the best adventure game of the last decade!

User: Acorino

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 12:56:25

Syberia 1: The atmosphere makes it great. It's full of mystery. Everything is desolate, and it's inhabited by a magical, melancholic mood. Kate Walker undergoes a journey during the course of the game that is important for her as a character and that leads to a big decision in her life. You take this journey to find a person and before you do you find traces of him on every step of the way. With every puzzle you solve you get to know him better. I love how well woven the puzzles are into the fabric of the story for this very reason.

I hate Syberia 2 with a passion. But this thread is about the games we love, so I won't delve further into my reasons for it.

The Book of Unwritten Tales: This is good old-fashioned harmless fun! It may go overboard with the pop-culture references at times, but it still manages to create a world of its own that is inhabited with lovely characters. Wilbur is especially wonderful. The game is just incredibly well crafted and you can feel the passion that was behind its creation.

Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: I only play German adventures in their native versions. And in its original form, Edna & Harvey is amazing fun. A great deal of the charm relies on the voice acting: The two leads really got into their characters and managed to portray all moments of joy, insanity, anxiety and incredulity at the right pitch.

While the design and interface is very old-school, one special feature sets it apart: pretty much every possible interaction has a unique response. This really brought the crudely drawn and even more crudely animated world alive. You could try out the most senseless item combinations imaginable and receive a response. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes insightful and sometimes helpful.

It does have its flaws, of course. Some puzzle solutions seem a bit obscure. On the technical side of things it's pretty wonky. But, as a whole, Edna & Harvey shouldn't be missed!

Deponia: The latest from Daedalic, the makers of Edna & Harvey. It's the first in a trilogy, and therefore a bit hard to judge on its own. The writing is clunky at times and the music is definitely lacking, but this is certainly one of the most beautiful 2D adventures in a long, long time. And it's not lacking on the technical side either: all the graphics are offered in glorious HD.

The puzzle design is pretty great. The solutions are all within the spirit of the comic adventure genre and therefore you have to think within a certain cartoon logic, but all of them are entirely fair and most of them great fun to solve. It has been a long time since an adventure gave me such a sense of achievement! While I said that the writing can be clunky, it can also work just well. At times it's genuinely funny. I especially love the performance of the lead protagonist Rufus. All in all, this is one to watch out for!

The Blackwell Series: I think Blackwell Unbound and Blackwell Deception are the highlights. The former tells a very moving story. The ending echoed through my mind still a while after I finished it. Blackwell Deception is just a really well crafted game. All the puzzle solutions make reasonable sense in this pretty realistic setting, it's pretty lengthy compared to previous installments and the writing is as good as always. I guess with Blackwell Deception Dave Gilbert really nailed a lot of the aspects that make a good adventure game. It's not lacking in any regard. On the other hand, it might not reach amazing heights either. But it's of a very high standard, either way.

To the Moon: This game is all about the story. There are barely any puzzles to speak of. But this isn't a weakness. While I don't wish that all games were like To the Moon, it manages to use the medium well for its purposes and let's you take it all in at your own pace. This is a great example of interactive storytelling.

There are also some great freeware games made by members of the AGS community: Prodigal, Da New Guys, Snakes of Avalon and Chzo Mythos

----

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 13:59:03

NEW NOMINATION

I can't believe I forgot to mention it before! But I actually really liked TellTale's first PUZZLE AGENT game. I'm currently working on the second one and am not enjoying it quite as much as the first. (Mostly because they're just reusing all the same puzzles they used in the first one, so I have this constant feeling that I already beat this game.) And some say the games are just a ripoff of other popular point-and-clicks, but the first Puzzle Agent was good, and it had an incredibly awesome atmosphere that was simultaneously creepy and silly. I didn't even think those two could go together.

I was going to mention that game, I've only played the first one but I enjoyed it tremendously, it sure looked and felt like a point and click adventure game.. the art was endearing and even if the animation was basic it was a really fun experience. I can imagine the 2nd one being a let down if they reuse puzzles. I'm not the biggest fan of TellTale's games, it's not that the games are bad but I have an aversion to 3d point and click games in that style and I have so much nostalgia for the original sam and max game that I only enjoyed a few episodes out of the series and I absolutely don't appreciate the art direction for the tales of monkey island games, it's just way too creepy for me.

here's another really short point and click game I just remembered

it's a parody of the show 24, it's called 15 minutes, http://timhengeveld.com/games.php#15minutes

----

User: Tea2

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:01:36

Gemini Rue is probably the best adventure game I've played this decade. It does what I don't think many adventure games have done before it; pose and explore a philosophical question.

Take Monkey Island. The only mysticism there is Guybrush, and you could always just give up trying to figure out who he is and where he came from and say he's a Mary-Sue.

Gemini Rue asks you, "what is identity?" and leaves you thinking. In that respect, maybe it's not an old school adventure, since the adventures of yore all seemed to focus on atmosphere alone. I think the only old school philosophical adventure I ever played before Gemini Rue was Grim Fandango which asks questions of life.

On a less bleak note, the first two season of Sam and Max are sublime. Sam and Max are great characters, probably my favourite duo.

The Blackwell series is also amazing. Again, philosophical in nature, carried out so well. Dave Gilbert really is a very talented writer.

So I guess my top three are Gemini Rue, Sam & Max S1+2 and the Blackwell Series.

Was this too analytical?

----

User: Cyrus

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:04:26

But I'd like to throw one new one out there: Nearly Deaprted, which sadly remains uncompleted, but there's a very lengthy demo that covers about 3/4 of the game before becoming unbeatable. It's funny, has an original premise for the genre, and strong puzzle design.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thumbs up to Nearly Departed!

And by the way... If we speak about LASSIE games, how about What Makes You Tick & A Stitch in Time?

User: Stuessy

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:05:13

Edna bricht aus ("Edna & Harvey: The Breakout") and its successor Harveys neue Augen are brilliant adventure games.

----

User: Alex IDV

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:09:06

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy was brilliant, particularly the third game. A spin-off of the Ace Attorney series, Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth was even more like a traditional P&C adventure, and is great. Another DS adventure game from Capcom is Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, which is one of my favorite games of 2011. Also on the DS, but not by Capcom, is 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

There's Machinarium of course, and Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island, the three Sam & Max seasons and Hector: Badge of Carnage.

The demo for Skygoblin's upcoming The Journey Down was really fun, too.

As a list, for your convenience:

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Machinarium

Tales of Monkey Island

Sam & Max season 1-3

Hector: Badge of Carnage

The Journey Down (demo)

----

User: Iron Curtain

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:10:12

I'd like to join the crowd and say Machinarium. They simplified everything. It was tricky, but fair.

I'd also like to put in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: It captured the spirit of the Homestar Runner universe perfectly.

For non-point-and-clicks, I'd say the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Series, and Zach & Wiki.

I have yet to play anything from Germany though. It'll be on my list once I have more time to myself...

----

User: Parsnip

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:14:34

Off the top of my head...

Whispered World

Runaway series (first one is probably the best of the three).

Secret Files games were okayish, a little too much on the logic bending for my taste on those two.

Machinarium

Gemini Rue

Yahtzee's games on AGS engine are pretty good too. Great writing on those. 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic especially.

Lost Horizon is decent.

The latest Broken Sword game was decent enough as well. Good writing but some of the puzzling was not too great.

----

User: rarn0622

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:29:15

For me:

Gemini Rue

Machinarium

Back to the Future

Sam and Max

----

User: hunterdanny

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:38:39

Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! were pretty good.

----

User: KuroShiro

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 14:57:17

Top 10 huh... that is a bit tough. There frankly have not been a lot of genuinely good point 'n click adventures released in the last 10 years. I'll give it a shot though, in no particular order.

Lost Horizon -- a fun Indiana Jones-ish adventure.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms -- a freeware fantasy adventure with lots of alternate puzzle solutions and endings.

Sam & Max Season 2 -- My favorite of the 3 seasons, and still sort of a point and click game.

Runaway: A Twist of Fate -- I didn't really care for the first two games in the series, but in spite of some pixel hunting and short length, the 3rd game was good.

Duty and Beyond -- An AGS game done in low-res style. Fantastic puzzles and narrative.

The Book of Unwritten Tales -- Just lots of fun, and has a pretty good localization.

The Journey Down: Over the Edge -- another AGS game. It's only a demo really, but I enjoyed it more than most commercial products.

Black Mirror 3 -- I'm hesitant to put this on here, but it was a good step up from the soporific first two games in the series.

Ummm... Does the Broken Sword Director's Cut count? :P That had some new content.

And Tales of Monkey Island I suppose.

----

User: scheppart

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 15:01:33

- machinarium (again)

- the whispered world

- Deponia

- perry rhodan

- vampyre story

all played with german voice overs.

- sam and max series

- bone

- syberia 1

oh and for all steam users come join the adventure group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/adventureren

and vote for deponia to be released on steam:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2502739

----

User: Meatty

Date: Mon Mar 03/12/12 15:01:35

- J.U.L.I.A.

- A New Beginning

- Puzzle Agent 1 & 2

- Hector

This is kind of cheating the rules slightly, but Ghost Trick Phantom Detective is practically a point and touch game. It's not a traditional adventure game per se but I'd consider it an adventure game and it's got some of the best puzzle designs I've played. I never wanted to put it down: typically a problem with adventure games for me is I'll get stuck or bored by the pacing walking back and forth clueless. But Ghost Trick does both a good job with intuitive puzzle solving (and giving you clues in the form of dialogue) and keeping you on the edge of your seat with excellent pacing.

It's absolutely a game I think the folks at Double Fine should take a look at.

It's absolutely a game I think the folks at Double Fine should take a look at.

Well, this thread is useful for seeing what the genre's been doing in recent times, but I think it would be mistaken to think Schafer/Gilbert (Schabert*) have anything to learn from them. The only positive innovations** have been in non-point n click adventures. I think Heavy Rain can tell us a lot about emotional involvement and responsibilty in engaging with a fiction, for instance. I suppose I'm overlooking point n clicks with multiple puzzle solutions, but in itself that doesn't strike me as a very interesting feature.

*'Gilfer' sounded bad.

**I'll happily admit I'm probably overstating the case here.

This is a great topic. Let me first go through some other adventures before presenting my top three. So I'm able to show some games with good concepts but a lack in other categories.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. Furthermore I want to point out that all the games I mention I had fun playing.

First a big shoutout to Runaway (by Pendulo Studios) and Syberia (by Microids).

Both Adventure rescued the genre at a time when everybody intones the dirge for adventures.

But sadly both series weren't great in my opinion.

They had good graphics, decent length and puzzles on an average niveau (with some pixel-search-puzzles in Syberia).

But Syberia lacks a great deal in interactivity and I don't like the characters in Runaway.

Now we take a look at Tales of Monkey Island, Sam and Max (all three Seasons) and Back to the Future by Telltale Games.

Telltale Games are really great at making their games feel like the originals. All these games have a great number of innuendos and so these games have the spirit of the originals.

But I found their games to be too easy, I didn't have to chew over a single riddle.

Their gameplay feels more like an interactive movie than an adventure. Additionaly they used the controls of GrimFandango and i really hate them.

Next up is the Ankh Series and Jack Keane by Deck13. All four games have a decent length, average puzzles, some Eastereggs and above average characters.

So far all fine and i had really fun with this games.

Unfortunately their humor often seems planned as it is in a TV Series and doesn't come 'naturally' like in the classic adventures.

Their most recent work, Haunted is another story. I really liked the ghosts as an dynamic tool.

They add something to the game. Furthermore this is the only adventure, I can remember, which had a sidequest. Sound and characters are also great.

The only downside and the reason it misses my top three is its rather short playtime.

And because we're already talking about short adventures, let's take a look at A Vampyre Story by Autumm Moon.

This is by far the shortest adventure I ever played. Its total playtime seems like a joke.

Poor story for a overall neat game. Nice graphics, unused setting, good characters and the vampiric powers provide an interesting and funny mechanic but the overall impression still isn't good.

I also have to mention Ceville by Realmforge Studios. The humor was great, the characters fitting. I also liked the puzzles in the first two thirds of the game. The experience lacked a great deal in the last chapter. It tries to copy Day of the Tentacle there but fails miserably. The switch between the three chars is forced and not fluid.

The next two games on my list are Edna & Harvey: The Breakout and Harveys neue Augen by Daedalic.

Great games like almost every adventure by Daedalic so far. Sound, characters and graphics fit to the setting. The riddles aren't on the same level like the old adventures but far better than most rivals.

The reason it misses my top three is the setting. There is a lack of persons I'm able to identufy with. I wasn't able to 'dive' into the story unlike in other adventures.

So after this long inroduction let's start with my top three adventures since 2002:

3rd Place:

I got a draw on the third place between two titles by Daedalic: Deponia and The Whispered World

Both games had a great choice for the voice actors (in the german version), the story is really great, the graphics fit perfectly and there are some challenging puzzles. The playtime should be a little bit longer but is okay.

But this is the only point of criticism I'm able to find in these two games.

I was really impressed by the end of both games. I didn't saw them coming that way.

2nd Place

This place deserves Simon: Chaos ist das halbe Leben (Simon: Chaos Happens) by Silver Style Entertainment.

I really like this developer for rescuing a great series after the abysmal Simon the Sorcerer 3D (It never existed NONONONONO, it never existed!). A great sense of humor, many characters of the first two games, really challenging and great puzzles, good graphics and sound and a solid length equal to that of the original games in the series.

Overall a really great adventure. It didn't have any flaws. The only reason it misses the first place is that the winner is better than Simon.

Sorry Simon but nevertheless I'm happy you had such a great comeback. (Imagine you share the fade of the poor Leisure Suit Larry. Poor poor guy)

1. Place

And the winner for me is: The Book of Unwritten Tales by KING Art

This game overall is great. Really challenging puzzles, great story, superb voice actors (at least the german version, i don't know the international version), great characters, a fitting graphic setting and a solid length.

The great number of innuendos this game features make it unique. I'll never forget the scene with the mage and the shopkeeper playing World of Bureaucracy, a MMO (with at that moment six people online), to escape this world of magic and dragons.

MFG Elemento

I just finished the first episode of Hector, it's was decent. There are some pretty funny parts, but I think it's just a very average game. I've had Machinarium on Steam for awhile now and I'm finally going to go play it because of all the mentions of it here.

It's kind of difficult to make this list because the adventure game genre is fairly diverse and no one seems to agree on whether certain games fit within the genre or not, though I like to view genres as sliding scales rather than something absolute. Not all of the titles I list will strictly fit within the point-and-click adventure game genre, but I feel they're worth mentioning anyway.

I haven't played many newer adventure games. so my list is pretty small.

Out of Telltale's library, I enjoy their Sam and Max games, as well as Tales of Monkey Island. They have their flaws, but I think Telltale did a great job with them, especially considering the tight budgets and schedules they worked under to create those games. I see some people compare the control scheme in Telltale games to Grim Fandango, but I don't see how they're similar at all. Grim Fandango had NO mouse controls while Telltale's games can still be controlled almost (if not entirely) with the mouse alone. Moving around in a Telltale game can be a bit awkward at times, mostly due to the occasional weird camera angle, but I had a hell of an easier time with them than Grim Fandango's keyboard controls.

Moving on to other titles, Machinarium was very charming and quite fun. Ben There, Dan That!/Time Gentlemen, Please! both had excellent funny writing and were great throwbacks to the adventure games of yore.

Bonus mention to some of the games on the DS that may or may not fit the genre perfectly, but felt like adventure games to me when I played them:

Phoenix Wright series

Ghost Trick

Hotel Dusk

I'm no connoisseur of the adventure genre by any means (While I've played nearly every major LucasArts title, I've yet to play a Sierra game beyond watching a full playthrough (with bonus humorous commentary) of King's Quest VI. I know, shame on me.), and I only actually started playing adventure games maybe about 5 years ago, but it's a genre that I have a deep appreciation for. Nowhere else have I seen games with such great writing, dialogue, story, characters, and atmosphere.

Edit: I've looked into some of the German adventure games that I've seen mentioned, and I'm really interested in Deponia! It seems like the exact sort of game I'd enjoy. I'm going to have to keep my eye on that one.

wow, lookng at this list, i realize there seem to be a lot of good games i'd like to play. thanks! (didn't know there was a 4th simon the sorcerer, for example)

games i played and enjoyed:

wallace and gromit

superbrothers: swords and sworcery

hector - badge of carnage

back to the future

professor layton

puzzle agent

zack and wiki

the machinarium demo

(and the remakes of monkey island 1 & 2)

Unlike most of you, I cannot consider myself a true adventure games fan because I only (re)discovered this genre about 2/3 years ago and only played the most famous games. It's same as saying I'm not a Jazz fan considering the fact I only listened the best of John Coltrane and Miles Davis.

The majority of adventure games I've played comes from the now defunct LucasArts (when you are a zombie, you are dead right?). My reaction when I discovered those was, "I can't believe why this isn´t more popular!". The problem is I began with the best of the best and when the standards are too high it's difficult to move down to just very good. So because of that I'm very nitpicky, so nitpicky that the only post 2002 adventure game I've played was Machinarium and I don't regret having played it, in 3 words, "Entretainment meets art".

Summary: Blah, blah, blah, Machinarium.

There are some great suggestions here that I have yet to play. Upon looking them up, it looks like a lot of these are not available on mac? Anyone have any good recommendations that can be played on mac?

I had a pretty good time with Kaptain Brawe, a pretty nice looking game which was very obviously influenced by Monkey Island aesthetically. Also the Hector Badge of Carnage game was really a lot of fun, although I have only played the first episode. Thanks guys

ty.

Huzzah, I can post again, so I will post this list again! Top ten of the last ten years, in no particular order.

Lost Horizon -- A fun Indiana Jones-esque adventure.

A Tale of Two Kingdoms -- A freeware fantasy game with a lot of different solutions to puzzles and endings.

Sam & Max Season 2 -- My favorite of the 3 so far.

The Book of Unwritten Tales -- Just a lot of fun, if a bit overly easy at times.

Runaway: A Twist of Fate -- I didn't really love the first two in the series, but the third one was quite good in spite of being very short.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 -- I would consider this DS game a point & click adventure, and it has a very good story.

Duty and Beyond -- An awesome low-res AGS game. Great puzzles and environments.

The Journey Down: Over the Edge -- Another AGS game. It's basically just a demo, but I had more fun with it than with most commercial products.

Tales of Monkey Island -- What can I say, after the first 2 episodes it was a lot of fun.

Broken Sword: Director's Cut -- I'm going to count this as it added new content.

Notably NOT on the list are: The Whispered World, Ceville, Secret Files, and Portal (take that Adventuregamers).

Simon the Sorcerer 3D (It never existed NONONONONO, it never existed!)

It's funny cause i have the same reaction but with Simon 4 and 5. While the 3rd had it shares of problems it was true to the series. The two last games were a complete insult.

Sorry, i don't want this to become a debate or anything, (or we can debate but in another thread) it's just that Simon is my favorite series and i still can't get over those games. Every time i read something positive about them i just freak out. :P

To reiterate:

+ Machinarium (2009)

+ 5 Days a Stranger (2003)

+ Trilby's Notes (2006)

+ Tales of Monkey Island (2009)

+ Whispered World (2010)

+ Ghost Trick (2011)

+ Kaptain Brawe (2011)

More games! Especially the smaller ones!

Mystery of Time and Space (AKA MOTAS) (2001- ...)

Yes, it's on this side of being an escape the room game, and it's toeing the year rule line, but it's still worth it.

The Submachine Series (2005- ...)

Covert Front, Daymare Town, Morbid, Aurora... whatever Mateusz Skutnik feels like experimenting with, really. [\bias]

the white chamber (2005)

Spooks (2006)

Short and sweet.

Nearly Departed (2006)

I don't know if it's still being developed, but a lot of love went into the demo.

Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! (2007)

Because it's a lovely homage to Monkey Island!

What Makes You Tick? (2007) and A Stitch in Time (2011)

Something Amiss (2007-2008)

Adventure: The Inside Job (2008)

Started for the nostalgia value, but it's a solid game in and of itself.

The Marionette (2009)

Warning: Creepy.

Mental Repairs, Inc. (2009)

Digital: A Love Story (2010)

Does this count as point and click? It's a graphic adventure with a text parser!

~airwave~ - I Fought the Law, and the Law One (2011)

That's it for now.

[del]Special mentions: Loom (1990), The Dig (1995), Beneath a Steel Sky (1994), Sanitarium (1998)[/del]

I'm happy to see a lot of people listing Shu Takumi's Ace Attorney series and Ghost Trick. That man is pretty much the only thing good left at Capcom. Also if you wanted to try Ghost Trick and not own a DS, they just released it on iOS for $10. It looks a lot better then its DS counterpart and is still just as amazing.

While on the topic of DS games, it was a mini revival of adventure gaming for a while. Cing's Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory being their biggest hits. However, the quality of their games began to get a lot worse followed by them going out of business... But at least those two games are really good.

Also Level 5's Professor Layton series took the puzzle solving a bit more literally. But I still love it.

Another DS title that made the jump to iOS is Success/Beework's Touch Detective. The second game is still sadly only on DS... But its still a really cute game where you play as a little girl detective who is solving fairly mundane cases, that slowly start to connect in to a larger strange case. Its not super amazing, but I really enjoyed it.

Lastly, I second the support for Chun Soft's 999. There were a lot of things that broke my suspension of disbelief in the game's narrative...very often in fact. But the game's premise is amazing, and it gets really meta-physical. I recommend it if only for the experience.

That's pretty much all the adventure games I own on DS.

And of course PC has a lot. Just to name something that hasn't been named yet, Frictional Games' Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I know its first person, but perspective does not make an adventure game. I did a lot of pointing and a lot of clicking in what little I could take of that game. I've only played for 2 and a half hours...and I know there is more to do...but its so terrifying! Also, no combat, just a lot of running and hiding, and item collecting...and terror...lots of terror.

- Jack Keane !!!!!!!

- The Longest Journey

- Complete Ankh-Series

- The Book of Unwritten Tales

- The Whispered World

- Gemini Rue

- A New Beginning

- Black Mirror 1, 2 & 3

- Ankh

- Still Life 1

- Secret Files: Tunguska & Secret Files 2

- Runaway 1 & 2

- Lost Horizon

Had my post and account lost in the server move...

Oh, well.

I consider DS “point and touch” games the same as “point and click”.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney trilogy (The first game was released in 2001 in Japan, and in 2005 internationally)

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (2009) - closer to a classic point and click adventure than the Phoenix Wright trilogy.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (2010)

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (2009)

Machinarium (2009)

Tales of Monkey Island (2009)

Telltale's Sam & Max seasons (2006, 2007, 2010)

The demo for The Journey Down

My recent favorites have been

-Metal Dead

-Hector: Badge of Carnage

-Sam & Max season 2

I've also like some of the other Telltale games, but they haven't been so good that I would consider to play them again in near future. Also I have yet to play Gemini Rue and Blackwell series, but will pick them up ASAP.

Sign in to follow this