Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Redphienix

I Hate/Love Randoms; A Study. MKII

I never had a problem with knobs. It was just the burst transmitters. I must have placed it at least 10 different times between 2 full games...all of them in a slightly different place (but each place extremely similar to the screenshot).

Did you see the bursts pass in person? Were there mines or anything else interrupting their shots?

Could you do a closer/clearer screenshot?

I'll make another shot, I was there in person, no mines.

My only guess is that I placed it similarly to when you break using a bulb, as in you place a turret on a bulb and it glitches to never shoot as it thinks it is out of the map, but with the damp it works?

I'm gonna try this a ton more and take a screen when it works, as it's worked the few times I've tried it.

Putting the thought in (as I haven't been doing 100% runs so I didn't see it fit to put that much thought into it) I have to agree that this doesn't seem right for the 100% run.

It's amazing for helping out the shitty defenses randoms run, having all the slow ya can get can't go wrong then, but when you don't want a single hit having bursts take sniper shots and even *shudder* holding the jacob there long enough for volty to REALLY enjoy a burst of shield seems like a lot of bad for an extra burst of slow *shrugS*

I still say it's good for randoms though x3 and since I could care less on 100% atm, fine for me! BUT yes. Gonna test some more to see if I'm placing it weird to get it to work and will screen more clearly (as best I can with this phone).

After some testing, it may be good for 100% runs after all. Reason being...

When burst transmitters come out, the snipers are going to waste their first shot on the bursts regardless. However, once the volt dropper passes around the mountain and enters the spire region, all snipers focus on the volt because it's closer...so they're still going to get at least 2 shots off...maybe a 3rd.

Also, I noticed that the longer the bursts were held back, the quicker the jacobs were removed. Granted, it was only a single player game...so I'm not sure if the benefits I witnessed exist in a 4-man game.

Were you able to get it to work properly? I'm in a single player game as well and haven't spawned any bursts in blue to test if I planted it right just yet xD Just spamming snipers until I see if my placement was right or if it was glitchy to get it placed right in the first place

EDIT:

I placed it incorrectly for the first time, but I can't test to see if I replaced it correctly now as I've gotten stuck outside the map to the left of the conduit you put the dampener on x3

I'll see which comes first, my loss or him saying something about the dampener being his son *shrugs* This is the first out of now six times I've used it that it's been destroyed, so lucky sum-bitch right here <--- xD

It may have worked properly once or twice? It could be that the vines/tentacles act as a blind spot at certain angles, and don't at others. When you place it, is it in the lowest part of the dip, or slightly on the hill? I've managed to place it inside and behind the vines, but it seems to disappear no matter what.

There are a couple spots right next to green conduit where a simple vine seems to hide emplacements from burst transmitters...so I'm thinking it's probably similar. You can actually put a dampener RIGHT ON green because of a certain vine, and bursts ignore it entirely (sometimes AMPS don't though...which breaks them all the way at the conduit on green). I just can't seem to figure out how to do it on the blue one.

I'm eager to make it work and test it in a 4-man game, though. It keeps willies/jacobs in there for a long time because the jacobs get stuck under willies legs ;)

It does break Amps right at the spawn on Blue and I aim for the hill not the dip, another wave of Bursts spawned but I lost soon after that so I never got to see if my Damp blew up or not. It has worked in the past, left it alone for 2 of the games and was physically there for three others just watching as Bursts walk passed.

This test ended with it blowing up around wave 40 or whenever as Bursts just refused to spawn on blue and I never got to test if my replacement covered it correctly or not -.-

Far as I can tell, unless it keeps failing for you- Aim for the hill, the angle coupled with the vines seems to be what hides it. I can't remember whether to aim far in or closer to the water, though I remember having to sprint to upgrade the dampener which seems to say it wasn't covered much by the vine? Wish I would have done more than a simple pic and a few games xD It worked so easily that I figured it was easy to land, but now I can't replicate it which might mean it was a one in a million that I landed consecutive times -.-

I mean, if you think about it, bursts come out the middle maybe 5 or so times in an entire game? I only had to replace it a good 4-5 times per game. That's only 300 scrap to replace it for a whole lotta extra dampening.

I sure would like to figure out how to get it right, though. I was landing it on the hill too...not just the dip. And I tried it closer to the water, and further in. Meh.

It is a cheap replacement and a nice dampener, but I'm just agitated now that I had it perfectly invulnerable for 5 games and then out of nowhere I can't replicate that xD

Had a group fail on wave 8 on Settlement. First Volty killed us. Wow.

2 Selkars with Mines/One pierce one ironclad/etc doesn't matter. One McGarry running lillypad and 2 faster blasters I belive.

Me going 4 rippers 2 hole punchers OR 6 rippers *fuzzy on facts*.

Anywho! One selkar went to green one to the long path on orange and the mcgarry followed the first to green. I went to blue spawn and made us some scrap. Wave 4 came and we had already been hit a lot O_O killed arty and took a look around~

BOTH were spamming SSMG and flak (can't recall if archie or ironclad, though I guess ironclad) in patches directly on green and in a small patch in the middle of the long back path to orange. ONE SNIPER if I recall. and it was apparently an accidental throw.

I raged a bit, stopped moving and let noids kill me twice. My favorite thing was them saying it must be my fault for bringing shitty weapons and dying TWICE! (WHAT A NEWB they said).

I threw my mic on and said something along the lines of "That was just pitiful" to which the generic "Takes one to know one" response came, which didn't exactly make sense in this case anyway....

I lul'd, left, and was promptly reinvited.

Good day.

Gotta love going in a game with two engineers, me being rippers, and a double topiary and wave 41 hits and the defense consists of THREE snipers and a ton of SSMG and Ironclad Flak.

Brilliant.

Also liked watching the topiary guy stand next to one of the snipers as Big Willie WITH JACKOBS approached Green. Waiting....waiting....waiting, BIG WILLIE HIT, TIME TO GO SHOOT AT HIM!

Surrounded by idiots :3

Random quotes:

"Wow, look at this newb with 6 shotguns (fiestas). Hey dumbass! Throw on something good or we'll just leave!"

"Dude I love the barrel but you HAVE to have Mr. Pancakes on with it or it's worthless"

response to me saying that Hammers are worthless-

"Yeah, you would know you *-insert gay insults here questioning my race/gender/and sexuality-*"

He was 10-12 years old.

"Well we have this guy running some six shotgun circle... wanna just back out?"

"You would say the boomerang is s#(%, you *-insert sexual orientation insults here-*"

"I feel like you just hate everything I like using, please, explain why the McGarry is useless?"

response to me asking 'well, seeing how we have a scrapper and two engy's, what damage dealing assault should I run?' since they hated 6 fiestas

"Two Boomerangs or nothing noob"

Me- "So you want my help getting you some good weapons?"

Other- "Yeah"

Me- "Okay, well Swamp will get the the most 'required' emplacement, or if you just want some weapons for your trench we can play Settlement a few times for the shotguns and snipers"

Other- "uhhhh.... nah, I don't like those maps, how about we play Hospital?"

Me- *Facepalm* "If you want weapons it isn't much of a choice, Swamp or Settlement."

Other- "Nevermind, I'll just go play Hospital by myself then *disconnects*"

Had a decent week of playing *shrugs*.

Well, I can't say I feel your pain.. because I really don't play with them. Actually I'm the person that leaves first when I see anything wrong.. But I do like to play with randoms when:

1. They have mics and want to learn things about the game.

2. I have some fellow experienced tube killers that can back me up so I don't get overwhelmed with the noob talk.

Guy running Karl with

Hyper Sniper + Fiesta

Albert + Ripper

Said his highest was 70 on Swamp or something like that, the other two shouted out their numbers so I bucked up and said 100 on em all. He then proceeded to go on a rant about how my build was shit (6 fiestas, was about to turn to 6/5/4 rippers until I saw his mix/match build). Told me to go 4 rippers 2 fiestas, but the way he said it was by explaining to me that rippers make scrap and if I put four on we'll get lots of scrap.

tumblr_m1yt54qnsH1qmin9f.jpg

Something about how obvious his remark was just made me laugh x3

I started to say something about his mix match to maybe make it better but he just raised his voice and refused to start until I changed to what he said to bring.

*-leave-*

Lost track of how many times I ran into 3 selkars with Cluster Mortars/barrels on all.

(BARREL LOVE <3 :D)

My question to him:

Why pair one automatic weapon with a manual weapon... TWICE. If you're going to play with a mismatched setup and an outdated gun you may as well work smart and not hard. Put the damn Hyper Sniper with the Ripper and Fiesta with the Albert. Only reason I see it his way is if he wants to scrap without killing then the Albert will only fire once in accordance with the Ripper while the Hyper will go off like a son-of-a-bitch all day long.

ANYWAYS,

For some reason it's impossible to reach certain people in this game. Like you said, you told them you beat the survival and yet one of the guys still doesn't want to hand over his self accomplishment of reaching wave 70. Mayn, when I was a noob.. The first time I ran into people that told me they beat Hospital(back in December), I dropped practically all my ideas and innovations and got in line. I didn't try to lead the group. I kept my mouth shut while occasionally asking questions and was happy enough to be apart of those kind of players. I respected them and understood more about the game because of it.

Exactly! My god, back when Hospital was 'impossible' I listened to anyone who was better than me and combined the ideas until I was able to do it solo and with a small group etc.

I feel like the scenario I mentioned just happens too much, "Oh you got to 100 on the hardest map? Well you should listen to me."

I'm all for a newbie/noobie asking questions or even weighing their two cents in, sometimes their right afterall, but admitting you are awful at survival and finding someone who is apparently a lot better shouldn't play out like that ^ x3

I thought the same thing on his build, but we're giving him too much slack, no doubt he just mashes the triggers as a single ripper isn't useful in that regard and I doubt he's thought of that yet. According to him (before I plugged in my mic and he was talking) "It's so I can always have something firing"

what? xD

Random Quotes~

Told someone to stop cancelling out my dampeners~

"But putting two gives a double slow effect, I was just about to put another for even more slow"

Join game with my six fiestas

"My god, I mean just look at these dou*** bags. Come on! Six f***ing shotguns? What a noob, let's just back out"

Catch him and plug in mic but he simply yells over me

"You're f***ing garbage dude, MAYBE three rippers and three fiestas but that shi*? Get out of here"

The more and more I think of it I keep picturing two assaults running 3 and 3 like he said, and it annoys me xD Amp gets glitched and instead of JUST the ripper guy baby sitting it turning it to scrap while the damage dealer goes out focusing on the enemies you have to have BOTH baby sit the amp which means 6 fiestas worth of damage is being lost ALL THE TIME.

Wtf?

He also spammed me a few times calling me shit as "I've made it to 100 so many times it's not even funny, you piece of shi* could never get that far!" which I lul'd at and moved on :3

Meh day.

Yeah, damage dealing and ripping trenches should only clash onto the same tube(s) on rare occasions. Otherwise their job titles are pretty separate. I mean if you want to be scrap efficient, a damage dealing trench should only be providing damage when the emplacements can't keep up. If there's no immediate threat, let the ripper rip and just stand there closely monitoring. Your time will come around wave 80 or so when the shit starts to hit the fan.

This game has an odd fluctuation of difficulty. The early waves are the hard, but then when you reach 30 it's pretty smooth sailing, where emplacements are doing almost all the work, until you slowly start losing your edge around the early 80's, where it picks back up again.

There seems to be more of this sort of name-calling-message-spamming going on with this game now than before...at least in my own game playing. I wonder if it is because there are more people playing now than before, and so the actual numbers of annoying players increase as well.

The rich information that many people on this forum have taken the hours to collect and try out and then share has given me the understanding of how to beat the game most efficiently. It's playing at a different level (assuming the goal is to get to lv100) being armed with this knowledge. Don't know if any of you are a fan of "Ender's Game", but it's like all other strategy is out of date, and they don't know it yet. I would assume that most players did not have the chance to follow the threads as they were being written, and now would not be able to get through all the threads that's there, which would explain the lack of understanding about the game.

When playing with a group of people who have a goal of wanting to reach lv 100, I can't help but do a facepalm after seeing their loadouts. I've shared some thoughts, some very basics from the forum that seems to me should be common sense by now, but then end up with the "thanks" that you've gotten.

That's not to say that people shouldn't enjoy playing the game with all the different weapons and loadouts and try it all, often, but it does make beating the game tougher if that is THE ONLY goal of a given group.

I don't know why you guys have so much trouble. I never run into people who think I'm a noob...even when I'm running a Karlsson MK I with hacks and light machine guns.

I think people just see my name and assume "this guy is legit".

I think it's because you are the baddest ever. Whether they take that as 'most badass ever' or 'he's so bad at this game there is no hope or need to point it out to him' :P

I rather enjoy the occasional person trying to call me out, makes me chuckle :3

I don't know why you guys have so much trouble. I never run into people who think I'm a noob...even when I'm running a Karlsson MK I with hacks and light machine guns.

I think people just see my name and assume "this guy is legit".

The Reverend makes them go to church and say AMEN! 8?) Hey, did you gey your gear back?

First arty on Settlement, heading down non-dampenened back side of orange.

Me 6 fiesta, other guy miles the heck away 6 rippers.

He's standing still twindling thumbs and what not so I kill it, the second it dies and starts 'decaying' into the ground he runs up and shoots the corpse then yells "Oh yeah, so you don't want scrap Redphienix? Fuck you" and disconnects.

*shrugs* Weighed my options and he failed his job, getting some hits on orange for a handful of scrap isn't worth it -.- and quitting over ONE enemy? Get outta here x3

Also ran into a couple players using boomerangs and trying to get to 30 on Settlement, gave them some pointers and had a good time getting to 69 :3

This game has the best randoms compared to other teamwork based games but there are still a good few who are to be avoided at all costs.

- Mr camo shotgun guy

- Mr twin Lt archie trench guns

- Mr we need dampeners everywhere

- Mr walks past enemies to collect scrap

- Mr I put sniper turrets down, ill be back in 20 mins

Couldn't forget mr (nah don't like this mr thing)

more generalizations-

- Spam collections EVERYWHERE ridiculously close to each other, trapping everywhere, upgrading to add insult to injury.

- Collectors on the bridge, under the bridge, on the sides of the bridge, and on both sides of the bridge guy!

- Dual Hyper Sniper guy who refuses to consider any other weapon, denounces Alberts like a plague, says fiestas are stupid, and can't aim worth a spit.

- Mines mines mines mines mines mines mines. Guy who sees that we need snipers, sees that the defense is lacking, and just keeps throwing non-stop mines.

- That guy who has a mic, hears your advice, admits to seeing the point, but doesn't change anything.

Namely people who use McGarry/Hammer and say something along the lines of "Oh, never thought of that." then doesn't change.

- "I got to 100 on Hospital so listen to me" guy. Seen a few of these in the past few days, and I didn't play IB yesterday o-o. Their strategies are absurd and flawed considerably, but since THEY got to 100 (on the easiest map using the new weapons) THEY know best.

- 'We need mortars' guy. Refuses to start until someone brings mortars, or won't change loadout when you ask to remove the mortars and put something helpful on. Oh the arguments. (Especially when we have no snipers and he still wants to bring mortars xD)

- Smashers guy.

- Smashers guy who has at least made it to 50 on Settlement and because of his fez he refuses to listen to advice.

- Person who spent the game running in circles with two of the 60 damage store bought lasers on hot pants and then blames you for the loss despite his plethora of green turrets spammed and mediocre as can be damage output/scrap use.

- Guy who convinces everyone to throw ironclad flaks for the first 10 waves or some stupid shi- as it 'kills volty'.

- Newbie who just got the game, asks for advice and refuses to use it (Looking for a handout of someone dragging them to 100 instead of learning how to do it).

- The lobby filled with Assaults who want to run Settlement. Gotta love 4 Assaults, all crappy (save for mine <3 xD) and no one wants to go engineer. I always do but when I/you have the only good assault it's aggravating to go engineer.

- The three selkar group who see that you are an assault and figure this is perfectly set up. Gotta love only having one of the two required blue turrets.

- (Slight repeat of hammer/mcgarry thing) Guy in Hammer who refuses to drop down to Honeychurch as he really, REALLY wants his HORRIBLE boomerang or MEDIOCRE topiary.

Sign in to follow this