Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Backer Update #1

Dear Backers,

Sorry if you received the first backer update email more than once. Not sure what went wrong. We'll work with Kickstarter to make sure it's sorted out before the next one goes out. Just remember, backer videos will only be available to watch on Kickstarter and in the backer forums (once they're up). The vimeo links in the emails won't actually work.

Looking forward to getting started!

It looks like they sent an e-mail to all the backers, and then an automated e-mail was sent of what was displayed on the Update page. o.O

Just to clarify are we under some sort of NDA of whatever happens in the private forum remains in the private forums ?

Can't we tell the internet anything about what's going on ?

Think you can talk about it.

Think they just mean that they don't want about every dev post and docu video posted elsewhere after they post it for us.

It is meant for the people that payed for the kickstarter.

Just slightly sad because, this being the internet, someone will undoubtedly repost all the vids elsewhere for all the sites to link to.

DF should do something where for every video that gets leaked out of the backing community, they put a pixel hunt puzzle in the game ;-)

Just slightly sad because, this being the internet, someone will undoubtedly repost all the vids elsewhere for all the sites to link to.

DF should do something where for every video that gets leaked out of the backing community, they put a pixel hunt puzzle in the game ;-)

Somewhere out there, there may exist that one person that, for whatever reason, actually enjoys pixel hunts and would then willingly leak information so they can get more of their favorite types of puzzles in the game.

But seriously, like Adonai said, this is the internet. It's pretty much inevitable that information is going to leak.

But seriously, like Adonai said, this is the internet. It's pretty much inevitable that information is going to leak.

And it's our duty to report any leaked stuff to Double Fine.

Congratulations on the results from the Kickstarter drive! I'm very excited to see what happens next.

Easy now, Hitlerjugend.

PS Sorry, I wasn't trying to seriously suggest that you're like a Hitler youth, eager to squeal on his parents. Should have remembered the text doesn't convey the tone. My bad, my bad.

I'm one of the people who received two emails. This is simply unacceptable Greg. I will be pulling out of the project shortly.

Easy now, Hitlerjugend.

Not a very nice thing to say.

And Monkey Mania is right.

If the information stays amongst backers, than we don't spoil it for anybody else who still wishes to buy the game later.

Just wanted to add in this thread that my credit card now got charged ^-^p ($15 = 11,60 € (Yep, I'm one of these cheap fucks!)) and wanted to sk (if Double Fine or someone else could indulge me), how they managed to get the Vimeo running on the site (being public only to backers), but when you go to Vimeo, it will say it will be private? This is certainly black magic here!

Easy now, Hitlerjugend.

Woooh, easy now...

Quite early for Godwin's Law isn't it?

Easy now, Hitlerjugend.

Be nice. Double Fine is a nice company. We only hire nice people. We try to make nice games. And I think we have the nicest fans anywhere. So be nice on the forums. Let the DFAF be an oasis of niceness in a mean, mean world. We encourage lively debate, but please don’t be rude, insulting, or make personal attacks. Treat each other with respect. We reserve the right to delete any malicious posts, or to just re-edit them to make the original author look like a moron, or a pedophile.

Troll not. Do not make controversial or contrary posts just to provoke an angry response on a thread. And if any of you nice Baby Lovers see someone trolling, please just ignore them. Similarly, do not Flamebait. And while you’re at it, don’t even try to Angerfinger, Poutpoke, or Ragegoose. And if you don’t know real forum terms, do not make them up.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewannounce/164_36/

87k backers and no leakage sounds like a hard thing to accomplish. It would suck if regular updates would stop due to leakage, but i suspect if that would happen the people responsible would have quite a bad time. Let's keep this as nice as it is now.

Edit.

...and the first video has already leaked to youtube.:(

Getting my enema pump ready.

Is it really such a good idea to post the link in a public place?

I just message an mod and flag the video.

I would not worry to much about that. It´s over 80000 people, you will not stop this from leaking all over the place - you just won´t.

In the end it´s free advertising for the game so i´ed just turn a blind eye to it even if "the law" tells you differently. There is nothing to gain in "fighting", best case is that you end up not looking like a dork, worst case is you end up like Metallica on trial against Napster. ;) This project is about the future, not the past.

It´s a process of learning how things workout these days. "The witcher" would be a good example how a big game can still sell a lot even with no DRM. DFA is just the next step.

I think allowing people "in" in a limited way would be a nice to easing the pain of those who strongly dislike people that have not pledged seeing these Videos (even though it´s a bit hypocritic since everyone downloads something illegally every now and than these days). Maybe by selling the episodes on iTunes (boo DRM ;) ) or sell a Documentary package on DFs Store. Because i am sure there will be a ton of people learning about this that just missed the kickstarter month and will want to see whats happening. (i know i would, and i would find a way, and it would make me buy the game more)

So lets hold hands with the non backers and dance in a big giant circle that spans around the world. <3

I don't see a issue with secrecy, every other developer also keeps the whole thing behind closed doors, just that in this case the circle of people inside is a bit wider, and some people spend a considerable amount of money for the privilege. I'm sure there will be updates for everyone, i pretty darn sure about that, but this one was meant for us. Feels a little like someone grabbing your birthday card and reading it out loud, it may not hurt me, but it's not a nice thing to do.

I'm not a fan of DRM either (nor of piracy), i thought i should add this, but it doesn't mean that i think everything should belong to everyone.

Is it really such a good idea to post the link in a public place?

I just message an mod and flag the video.

Point taken and adjusted accordingly :)

I don't see a issue with secrecy, every other developer also keeps the whole thing behind closed doors, just that in this case the circle of people inside is a bit wider, and some people spend a considerable amount of money for the privilege.

I will bet against that. :)

I think in the long run "The Show" being out there will generate a lot more interest and in the end sell a ton more games. (just look how UFC exploded when the first season of ultimate fighter got on)

Just allow people that still want to pay to get in on the Videoupdates. It will make everyone feel better about the leakage that will haben and the cash can be used as emergency fund for the game if something takes longer than planed and if it´s not needed you can give backers a physical copy of the Soundtracks or something like that. Less bad Karma for everyone.

I fear there won't be much "private" things going on here (forum, videos etc.) now that the first video already leaked. It's ironic how some people complain about publishers being the evil guys not respecting the artists wishes bla bla and then they do the same by not following the rules set by the creators...

It´s just that times are changing. There is a lot to learn and to adapt here. In the beginning the game wassent even planed as DRM free... full secrecy is a concept of the past, it dos not work like that with 87.000 backers.

Another example. Look at Minecraft. At one point their "snapshots" got leaked, you could play updates before they were official updates. They just decided... why force people to go to shady places to find the files and downloading crap that might carry viruses... why not just give the "snapshots" to people that are enthusiastic enough to try them out? They did and i consider it a successfully move. EA would have pulled files, fired and sued people and websites.

It´s just stuff you learn along the way. And you have to deal with it in a modern way. Videos/Stuff being leaked when you give it to 87000 backers is just as "today" as asking for OSX, Linux, DRM free, iOS and Android Versions of the game.

You can´t just be all Sony Music and spend half of your day getting youtube to block videos while your compadres over at Ubisoft try to figure out an even better DRM for their PC only game that makes a legal copy harder start than the cracked Version...

Yeah, not much to do about it really. Unless they start shipping the secret videos on VHS tape that self destructs after use.

Still - shame on you! - whoever you are that are leaking the videos.

Now go stand in the naughty-corner! :)

Many aren't that sure about the MC snapshots actually, some say they have not been leaked but let loose, and with such a small and tight company they have there i find this argument speculative but valid.

I'm very aware that it's a modern issue, and that dealing with it by suing the shit out of people isn't the way to go, but it doesn't change the fact that i think that leaking that stuff is a lame move to make, and that it shouldn't be happening. How to deal with it is a good question, for now deleting the videos on YouTube seems still fine and surely doesn't need a persons whole work day. A "solution" like offering an option to purchase access does not diminish the value of the Service from my standpoint as a backer, and is fine with me, but as it was a limited offer it may actually be a legal issue to offer it after that limitation is through. Any lawyers here?

Even if people would be able to buy access, leaking it still is mean in my person opinion. The comparison between leaking and asking for a Mac or Linux version is also lacking i have to say. (One is asking for a better product the other technically violates copyright)

There are no legal issues. Kickstarter dos not bind you to use the money for anything as far as i understood it.

PS Sorry, I wasn't trying to seriously suggest that you're like a Hitler youth, eager to squeal on his parents. Should have remembered the text doesn't convey the tone. My bad, my bad.

Go go grudging apology!