Sign in to follow this  
the ass man

Your first adventure game?

The Tex Murphy game Under a Killing Moon was definitely my first. Followed up a couple years later with The Neverhood and Toonstruck. I didn't play any LucasArts stuff until well into adulthood.

My first adventure game was Maniac Mansion. Sadly, I did not have a PC until much later, so I played the NES version. It was still a lot of fun though. Also around the same time I played Shadowgate, also for NES. One of those was the first. MM I think, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

The first one I played over at a friend's was The Secret of Monkey Island. The first one I ever owned was The Feeble Files (aka Floyd: Es gibt noch Helden) and the first one I ever finished was Monkey Island 2: leChuck's Revenge B-)

My first text based adventure game was either Zork or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I never finished either one sadly. The former I played on an old Apple at my daycare as a kid and the latter we had for DOS and I would play on our old IBM PC. I was too young and feeble-minded for either one at the time, but they certainly fascinated me. My first point and click (and the first I ever finished) was an NES version of Shadowgate. The descriptions of the deaths in that one were pretty funny - ever so full of snark. >:3

Oddly I never discovered the Monkey Island games until recently, when I bought the whole set of Tales Of Monkey Island games when they were on sale on Steam - and fell in love. xD

I played my first adventure games at my buds house probably somewhere around 1st grade or so. Actually... I wasn't playing very often - usually my bud would be, but we'd both more or less sit there and figure out what to do. I don't remember what came first, but we played Monkey Island and Loom pretty much at the same time. Loom was very odd to me and it was hard to grasp what was going on, but I can't even begin to describe how much I fell in love with the Monkey Island series... that was my first real gaming experience, followed shortly by Diablo 1. Those were good days...

My first adventure was played on a thermal paper terminal attached to a PDP-11/44 at Stanford University. I was probably around 8. My parents were visiting a friend who was a professor there and he had the terminal for work. To entertain me while the adults talked they put me in front of it, in the games directory, and showed me how to type in basic commands (like listing things and typing in their names to play them). After playing Hunt the Wumpus for a bit and being underwhelmed by a Guess the Number game I typed in ADVENT, and that probably changed the direction of my life.

AT END OF ROAD

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

>

Suddenly I was in a new world. I wasn't reading about it, I was in it. That prompt right there, the ">", was an invitation to do anything, to go anywhere, to experience everything. Naturally the reality of it was much more restrictive, but to an 8 year old brain that didn't matter. Four hours later my parents had to literally drag me away from the keyboard and I still have that roll of thermal paper somewhere in the den, though it has no doubt faded into illegibility. I had learned you could build entire interactive worlds in computers, and I wanted that more than anything. I learned to program to create worlds, and now, some 35 years later, I'm still doing it.

My first adventure was Simon the Sorcerer 1+2 (in a box). A few weeks later Gabriel Knight... nice games :)

My first adventure game was "Journeyman Project Turbo!". It came with my first computer - a PB - some time in the mid 90's. Loved the atmosphere and the music(that part where you sit in a chair and change your walls into immersive settings was amazing to me!), but it's really quite a short game.

Shortly after that, my dad had gotten a Sega CD and an obscure game called "Mansion of Hidden Souls" and that was the first time I realized how scary adventure games could be.

My first adventure game was Adventure for Atari.

My first point & click I remember getting into was Inherit the Earth. Made me fall in love with voice acting in my games.

A worthy mention is Blazing Dragons for PS1.

I think it was King's Quest - played it on my friend's Tandy computer.

My first was Maniac Mansion. And it blew my brains out. In many ways it was ahead of its time and still is compared to most (3 characters two of which can be chosen), alternative endings... And all before the 90s!

Same as above, Maniac Mansion on NES, I remember I was quite small and the game was quite scary :P

I wish I had a really cool Adventure game to be my first...but my first was Mixed-Up Mother Goose on my DOS as a kid.

I began with adventures with my MSX in the year 1988, but the inflexion point in my life was when a 5 1/4 disk involve me in the world of Monkey Island with my sister 0286 PC... Then follows Larry's, Sam & Max, MM, DOTT... these years were the best of my life as a children.

It probably is SRAM, a french graphical yet text-based adventure game by ERE Informatique (most of this company moved on to becoming Cryo of, amongst others, Dune, Commander Blood and Atlantis renown), on the Amstrad CPC.

2044_42.png

It all blurs together... somewhere between Zork, Kings Quest (PCjr FTW), Martian Memorandum, and Another World...

I would say Zork or Kings Quest are probably the first I played.... so very long ago.

**EDIT** I totally forgot about Temple of Apshai "Thou art slain! Thou art EATEN!"

My first adventure games were brazillian text adventure games on the MSX personal computer. I just don't remember their names... I think one of those was called "Serra Pelada" (a famous gold mining region here in Brazil, where there were a lot of conflicts in its days)

My first GRAPHICAL adventure game was Secret of Monkey Island, and what a fitting first game it was!! It made me fall in love with the genre!

I also remember King's Quest 5 and Space Quest 4 as the first batch of adventure games I played (alongside Monkey Island)

My very first point n' click was Maniac Mansion on the C64 (but remember, it took a while for the mouse to catch on, so i played it with a joystick. Aim n' shoot?) Prior to that, i played a lot of text and text-with-graphics adventures, like The Dallas Quest, Wyndham Classics' Wizard of Oz, Questprobe's Incredible Hulk/Spider-Man/Human Torch and the Thing, and Ulysses and the Golden Fleece. But i didn't own that C64 ... it belonged to my babysitter.

Here's a fine tale of woe about the first graphic adventure game i ever OWNED myself, on the Amiga 500 computer i positively BEGGED my single-parent mother to buy for me, despite her extremely limited spending power.

i could only afford perhaps one or two games a year. Amiga games used to cost around $60 here in Canada in the late 1980's. i desperately wanted Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Desperately. So off we went to a mall four towns away, because no one nearby had it.

i walked into the computer store and asked the sales guy, and he said they didn't have it. But they did have THIS game, which was like Zak McKracken. It was called King's Quest, and it was very popular. Sold a lot of copies. i asked the guy if there were ANY other computer stores in the mall, and he said "no". My mom wasn't about to drive me another four towns away in pursuit of Zak, so i spent our precious discretionary funds on King's Quest.

i opened the box in the mall food court over lunch. The game seemed interesting, but compared to what i'd heard about Zak, the documentation made it feel pretty dry and humourless.

After lunch, we rounded a corner in the mall and happened upon ... its OTHER computer store. You know - the one that competed with the first store we'd visited. The one that the sales guy obviously knew about. The one that had, in the front of its Amiga rack, a shining copy of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. My heart plummeted. My mom wouldn't buy TWO games for me that day - i knew it'd be a very long time before i could buy another title. We went back to the first store, and i complained to the sales guy that he lied to me - that he KNEW there was another computer store in the mall. i tried to return the game but of course, in those days, opening a box of software was akin to consummating the marriage. The deal was sealed.

King's Quest played it safe. There were no two-headed squirrels, no pooping yaks, no hare krishna to impersonate, and no airline stewardesses to outfox and infuriate. King's Quest gave me a knife and then punished me for stabbing a goat. It asked me to guess a gnome's name, and stacked the odds against me unfairly. (See my The 6 Most Infamous Puzzles in Adventure Game History)

To this VERY DAY, i absolutely revere everything LucasArts ever did, while the oeuvre of Sierra On-Line is tainted for me. Many years later, i purchased Zak McKracken. for my Amiga, and with generous help from a walkthrough, i finished it.

And lo, it was awesome.

- Ryan

I played Maniac Mansion on the NES and found it amazing, funny, totally confusing, and downright brilliant. I didn't finish it until many years later.

On the PC front, a friend was given a copy of Police Quest (the original version) and we spend a good month or so trying to solve that. We finally were able to complete it thanks to another friend from school who had used the old style hint guide with the red stuff that blocks the text. After that we moved on to Space Quest 2, which we actually managed to finish without any kind of hints or guides. That took us another good month of getting together on the weekends and after school to play.

My first adventure game was Haunted House for the TRS-80 Model I Level I, played back in 1979 and loaded off a tape drive. My first graphical adventure was Leisure Suit Larry, naturally!

My very first adventure game (and my very first game!) Was King's Quest IV waaaaaay back in 1988. I was 4, and it was the first time I had ever seen a computer game.

The rest is history.

The first adventure game I played was Day of the Tentacle, loved that game so much still one of my top 5 all time games.

I started with "Broken Sword" and immediately fell in love with the genre.

I can't quite remember which one was it, but it was either Maniac Mansion or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I remember spending months with either of them, playing a bit with one, getting stuck and returning to it some days later with new, original and usually wrong ideas about how to continue. Maniac Mansion was specially frustrating, since most of my ideas ended up with one of the characters getting locked up in the basement (waaay before I found out about the loose brick) o killed (my first experiments with pool water and a microwave). Indy was a lot more interesting, though: I played through Venice catacombs so many times I ended up committing all of the map to memory, and that was even before I understood how to find the correct tile to break on the first try. Brute force FTW.

The first graphical point n click adventure game that I played as far as I remember (caution, hipster language ahead) was an educational game released by the German ministry for the environment, nature conservation and nuclear safety. It was called "Das Erbe" (The Inheritance) and I doubt anyone knows this game. It was released in 91 (I was 8 at the time) so I didn't play that until maybe 95-96. It was free and I didn't really have internet access, money or let alone any game stores nearby that would stock adventure games so when I got that from a friend on floppies I was blown away by that type of game. The first commercial adventure I played was Toonstruck in 96 which I bought on day 1 and I've pretty much bought anything adventure related after that for years. Somewhere in the 2000s I discovered ScummVM and boy did that cost me a lot of money on ebay but I caught up with most of the classics and I wouldn't be here without that experience.